• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2425 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
ChuckleJake

~ Smash's Mystery Box Auction ~

Until further notice, we've planned to hold our mystery box auction at 4:00 PM Game time Sunday the 29th of January.

Details for the auction:

-We will have 26 boxes in total (marked from 1 to 26)

-All boxes will be the same color to avoid influencing peoples choices.

-Boxes will have a starting bid of 15K with increments of 5K.

-Winning bidder will get to chose which box he wants, meaning we won't start with box #1 for example.

-Boxes will be handed out once all the boxes have been sold/bid on.

-Highest bidder will win the last (26th) box.

-Every winning bid over 100K will get a free Black Box.

Some prizes included are:

- Unnamed Atlantean SH
- Plain War Frigate
- Plain War Brig
- Stocked Frost Class Long Ship
- 100K Cash Prize (Card)
- Painted Stocked Sloop
- Unnamed Karks
- Other cash prizes, LE furniture...and more

I hope we see many people there! Just check the notice board at 4 PM Game time on Sunday the 29th! Good luck!

*If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to post them in this thread or find me in game*

If you see anything I'm missing in this thread let me know.
----------------------------------------
Chucklenuts on Meridian
Rockets on Emerald
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ChuckleJake at Jan 25, 2012 3:18:23 PM]
[Jan 25, 2012 3:03:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChuckleJake

Re: ~ Smash's Mystery Box Auction ~

I'd like to point out we'll be jobbing people on a Grand Frigate for the auction (100% Jobbers Delight).

We will have game tables onboard, I'll try to get something going for extra prizes and stuff, like local tournys and such.
Chucklenuts on Meridian
Rockets on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ChuckleJake at Jan 25, 2012 3:07:03 PM]
[Jan 25, 2012 3:06:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

Sounds like fun, will try to make it!
Poloboy
#CantStopWontStop
#TeamVB
Dagnanlian says, "let her ride yer mexican tortilla"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by one4u2c12 at Jan 25, 2012 3:15:07 PM]
[Jan 25, 2012 3:06:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

Hey Chucklenuts, from the Viridian ocean!

I couldn't help but notice you posted an event thread about an event commonly known as a 'mystery box auction'. I'd just like to say, that sure sounds exciting! It probably has something to do with the word 'mystery' combined with 'box' that clearly implies that it's some sort of unknown present carrier, of some sort! Oh boy!
You see, the funny part about something exciting as a 'mystery box auction', is that it's filled with uncertainties and incredible unexpected climaxes. Just as most things that contain greatness and unbridled excitement, once the mystery is gone, it becomes just as plain and stale as a piece of mold bread. Of course you still believe that seeing as this is probably (one of your) first mystery box auctions, planning such a complex and well thought through event is very hard. The true work of a pioneer exploring the boundries of our pixelated pirate world. However, I'm afraid I have to burst your bubble of good intention there. Because frankly, it has been done before. And not just once, or twice, but over a sixteen million times. Now, you might think that seeing as there's theoraticly over two million players on this fine game, you can get away with over-using such a fine concept, though I believe we all know that there's just a limited playerbase actually making use of this event.

There's always the question of balance, in a matter like this. You believe that giving the sociaty such a noble (and for you profitable to say the least) event is for the good of the people. That it's just to give them a welcome alternative to the countless SMH trips and boring pillages. You might even believe that enlightening them with an event like this will bring a bit of balance to this currently lob-sided game. Again, I can't continue without having to inform you that there's another morally right bubble about to burst. Because, you see, true balance would perhaps be accomplished with giving the people original events. Events that take a lot of effort and maybe even material (but gee dibble gosh, I'm giving away boats and stuff!) costs to organize. Events that will ask something from the participant that wouldn't be triggered when walking the more convential paths of this game. Sidetracks with exciting bended features, clever thought out plots and maybe even some incidential roleplaying (we are playing an MMORPG, you know). The way I see it, and the way a lot of people see it with me, is that ridiculous events like 'mystery box auctions' don't contribute to restoring such a feeble balance at all. Not even a bit. For a lot of us ('us' perhaps a rusted bunch of whiners in your perspective), these mystery box auctions bring a mixed feeling. On one hand there's always the thrill that comes with a game-show kind of experience, there may even be some laughs and some people even get amazing (wow!) items. On the other hand you have this feeling in your stomach (or just tum-tum for short) of regret and maybe even some well-placed bitter nostalgia. There have been a lot of good auctions like these in the past, oh yes! Back in the days, which seems to be an eternity seeing as we have to count in Nerd-Rage-Years (which count for atleast four times the amount), it could've been 2005, maybe even 2006, people have been smiling over these sort of experiences. There were laughs, there were some tears of excitement and unexpected obtained wealth (oh gosh, a war brig? For me?!). To see a concept like this being chewed on, spit out, and taken back to the mouth again, causes such a whirlpool of negative emotions that I can hardly remember if I should do a left on the first or the second turn. And when I look at your face, I don't see a lot of bitterness. I don't see the need to bring something to a sociaty which could potentially destroy it (deadly conformists, attack!). I'm not saying you are to blame for this stagnation of beautiful events, though I'm asking you to think about your ways when you lay in your bed tonight. You could ask yourself, 'hey Chucklenuts, from the Viridian ocean, hey...gosh does it really have to be this way? Do I really have to polute those fine forums with horrible events like that? Is that really the way to go, Chucklenuts? From the viridian ocean?'.

You might wonder, now that you have realised that the path you have chosen to walk might not be filled with tree's of happiness and bushes of compliments, if there's a way to undo all this damage. Even if you don't agree with me (which is highly likely, I have atleast that amount of conciousness), I'm very sure there's atleast a small part of you that realizes that there are also other ways. You could, for example, head out there in the world of event concepts and read a bit more about using the current game set-up and using it to your entertaining advantages. There are several events out there that trigger someone's creative abilities. You could see events that require some old-fashioned knitting. That's a lot of fun, you know? There are also events that create a challenging environment for players that don't find their way of favourite gameplay in the current puzzling options. For example the events that combine chess with the familiar battle-navigation puzzle. Or events that mix different puzzling diciplines into one crazy big and fun event! The list goes on, and that fact will take me to my next point of concern.

Why are you doing this? Perhaps a futile question, seeing as anyone with half a brain would understand that you're doing this for your own (also including possible flags and/or ship fleets) benefit. Financial benefit, in this case. Perhaps also even some moral benefit, because who doesn't want to be able to list him/herself as successful event planner? Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that your ultimate goal of gaining this financial support is noble. I don't question that at all. My problem is however, that there's a whole list of events that are in the end potentially financially interesting for you(r flag). And if there isn't an event on that list that you like, you could combine several events into one, or even make one up yourself completely. You, however, chose to re-use a concept that's been used for an almost uncountable number of times. It's easy, I know. There's nothing hard about taking an old idea and transforming it into a pile of poe for your convenience. But not all easy things are good (take Elfeesh' mum for example), and simplicity isn't always the key to success. The small favour I ask of you, as a concerned player of this forsaken game, is that the next time you decide to use an event that's in the same shape as the one you chose now, is to make sure to point out in the event thread's post that you're aware of the fact you're being a lazy bastard.

My motives are quite simple, and surely shared with a lot of people. I want to point out to you that making a good event isn't simple. It's hard work to make something truely original, which takes a lot of time and effort. I want to make sure to everyone reading this thread, and everyone participating in this event, that they know that this event is horrible. It's been done before. If I may be so blunt to use a quote from a television show, doing this event over and over results into a situation similar to 'throwing a sausage down a hallway'. It's still the same act, it's still the same event, but you just don't feel it anymore. The spirit is gone and humping a dead corpse is just wrong (unless you're named Seepnah, apparently).

So please, Chucklenuts from the Viridian ocean, stand up from your comfortable sofa and use your grey thinking noodles to come up with something we can all respect. And in the meantime, enjoy reliving a life that wasn't that spectacular to begin with (a war brig?! For me?! Oh gosh!)

Your good friend,
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Jan 26, 2012 7:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Holy Shit Marten.
Antix
Captain of Inglorious Bastards
[Jan 26, 2012 7:46:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
olane110294

That was my first post that had over 69 words that I actually enjoyed reading!
Kuskus on Meridian/Emerald
[Jan 26, 2012 8:54:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Masterlockex

Wow
~Proof on Meridian
Captain of U mAd BrO
King of Meridian's Most Wanted

[Jan 26, 2012 10:03:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amartino

Prolific.

*If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to post them in this thread or find me in game*

Will Tom Cruise the Elephant be in one of the mysteriousness boxes?

If yes, I'll be there (passing out prophylactics to those that'll need 'em once they see they got something that fits in the 'Other cash prizes, LE furniture...and more ' category)
Piecesoeight on Meridian

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Edit 1 times, last edit by amartino at Jan 26, 2012 11:39:25 AM]
[Jan 26, 2012 11:36:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

Dear, Marto

I'm glad you voiced your opinion in such a long post! But to not bore the readers, I'll make mine short and sweet.

So here are some reasons we chose a "commonly known event".

1. It's a simple fundraiser to help our new and small flag blockade.

2. It may have been an event used by many people/flags, but many things have been repeated throughout human history.

Example: The lottery is a boring and risky game that is used so many times as a chance for millions.

I hope this helps you Marto.
Poloboy
#CantStopWontStop
#TeamVB
Dagnanlian says, "let her ride yer mexican tortilla"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by one4u2c12 at Jan 26, 2012 4:11:11 PM]
[Jan 26, 2012 4:09:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Broska

Marto your back YAY! I expect a new Tom story soon <3
Broska
That guy... WHO RETIRED!
So now I just post every once in a while
[Jan 26, 2012 8:13:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

Oh, THERE'S Marto's exceptional posts.

For cereal though, you should have saved such a magnificent post for something far more important/lulz worthy.

I approve, either way.
Former Good Grief, Outcast member.

Gypsyjayne tells you,"Parley is actually latin for "Mock Verlool here."

IGN: Derpweasel
[Jan 27, 2012 9:44:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

There's nothing as important as fighting a lost cause.
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Jan 28, 2012 4:10:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChuckleJake

Thanks to everyone who came and helped in every way to make a fun night!

Hope you guys had fun.
Chucklenuts on Meridian
Rockets on Emerald
[Jan 29, 2012 6:56:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zfuzzy

Just wondering what the highest bid was?
Mrodd of Viridian :)
[Jan 30, 2012 2:44:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates