• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 55
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14521 times and has 54 replies Next Thread
lulunz

Re: Emerald Ocean: Intent for Blackthorpe

Is "Exploratory Surgery" too obvious?

It must be, because I'd suggested it in a crew forum before I saw your post. Therefore, (because it's obvious), I like it!

P.S. LOVING the Palace Tilinka, it's so lush! Like being in the tropics, but less sweat, more glow!
----------------------------------------
Sante of Sagemerald
Senior Officer and Poet of the Lost Lot
Not bitter, just Twisted
[Edit 1 times, last edit by lulunz at Jan 22, 2012 1:50:15 AM]
[Jan 22, 2012 1:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oceansadness

RAWR! Happy things worked out for your little dream Pauling! :)
Sedna in Sage. Sedna/Seawaterdrop in Emerald

If it floats, shoot at it!
[Jan 22, 2012 2:36:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

The Explorer's Hall on Bizarro Blackthorpe has now been placed (albeit not perfectly), and we're hiring dedicated labor alts for 20/hr!

We also desperately need 7500 units of stone, which is complicated by my not being able to redeem Sage-era bid tickets. (possibly a bug?) I have 2600 at Arakoua, and 600 at GW... even if we do transport those, though, we're still less than halfway to our goal.

Meanwhile, I'm investigating ways to anonymously share the raw palace logs, and will edit this post with a link when that spreadsheet is ready. First I need to clean up the numbers a bit, as I was quite tired when I processed the data.
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Jan 22, 2012 8:42:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

The Explorer's Hall on Bizarro Blackthorpe has now been placed (albeit not perfectly), and we're hiring dedicated labor alts for 20/hr!

We also desperately need 7500 units of stone, which is complicated by my not being able to redeem Sage-era bid tickets. (possibly a bug?) I have 2600 at Arakoua, and 600 at GW... even if we do transport those, though, we're still less than halfway to our goal.

Meanwhile, I'm investigating ways to anonymously share the raw palace logs, and will edit this post with a link when that spreadsheet is ready. First I need to clean up the numbers a bit, as I was quite tired when I processed the data.

I have over 200,000 stone (yes, I collect strange things), but you will have to move it around
I have 54 rogue marks, find me

See the flag that dominates can still give back XD
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Jan 22, 2012 10:13:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killinfisher

I'm curious to see the financial records of Blackthorpe as well. Is it possible for you to take screenshots of the palace records for the past 6 months and upload them into a zip file?

Or are you doing an excel file or what?
Former Good Grief, Outcast member.

Gypsyjayne tells you,"Parley is actually latin for "Mock Verlool here."

IGN: Derpweasel
[Edit 1 times, last edit by killinfisher at Jan 22, 2012 10:35:06 AM]
[Jan 22, 2012 10:33:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nevertall [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Thanks for the Rogue marks, Reeves! A full rename of all government buildings has been submitted, and all buildings have been decorated.

We also obtained the stone we need to begin work on the Explorer's hall, which will be done in as little as 18 hours from now.

And lastly, I plan to distribute all Blackthorpe palace records in a search-friendly spreadsheet through Google Docs, once I have time to double-check my analysis of the numbers. Meanwhile, an event blockade has been scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (with lots of rocks to facilitate sinking). More blockades and zaniness will follow.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pauling at Jan 22, 2012 12:42:19 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 11:50:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Greetings from the forces of Puppets (and Darkness)!

In our first 24 hours in power, we have successfully sold the decorating rights to the palace, both bazaars, the bank, estate agent, and shacks. We have also re-named all the government buildings on the island that we could get our hands on.

Now, a normal flag would conclude that they had systematically abused every possible aspect of the island in return for favors, and stop their looting there. But we are not normal. (cf. the palace) And after carefully considering the subject, we have come to the conclusion that there is still one club so exclusive and so sacrosanct that only a power mad mob of fools would throw it open to the masses.

Yes, that's right. I'm talking about the governorship of Blackthorpe. And it can be yours- read on.

Details of the Governor-go-round Program wrote: 

We will be allowing interested applicants to govern Emerald's most glamorous island tomorrow, starting at 4pm game time on Monday, Jan 23, 2012. Your term of service will be 10-30min, depending on the level of interest. Before you apply, please note the following rules and procedure.

RULES
1. While governor, you will be allowed to view and poke all the controls you've always dreamed about, but never actually had a chance to see- event blockades, tax slider, palace buy offers, or the shop news tab in the palace. You can do this for fun, or to expand on YPPedia pages that need work.

2. Please don't dust props or the furniture placed by others. Those furniture items were bribes, and I treasure them.

3. Please don't loot the treasury. That's my job.

TO APPLY:
1. Post your name and preferred time slot (if any) in this thread. You must include a poem. This is very important.

1a. Priority may be given to people who bribe Tilinka with hats. After what I'm about to put her through, please consider bribing her on a "real" ocean, at that.

2. At the designated time, contact Tilinka in game- she is the royal in charge of voting in new governors. Please be patient while others have their turn.

3. If you would like to take a portrait, we will provide PoE for the commission cost. But you MUST be wearing a wig to qualify; we may or may not have wigs available for loan. (The portrait will vanish when emerald does, but you can always save the image file to your hard drive)

A more detailed report on governor investment and activity will follow, but we've been trying to focus on ongoing fun activities for now, since we don't know when the ocean will vanish for good.

Also, we still need more labor at the explorer's hall construction site- despite having 67 employees, almost half of them are greyed out and unavailable (even though they all logged on and took the job today). I have no idea why this is, since some of the greyed-out entries are alts I've had for years.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Pauling at Jan 22, 2012 8:21:00 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 8:13:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

My application.

Name:
Sizzly.

Time slot:
Starting right at 4pm game-time. Lasting till eternity, of course. some time.

Poem:
Roses are red.
Pau
ling is mad.
an
d so is Tilinka.
Make me governo
r.
or els
e I will not stop useless sinking and portraits and whisking and black boxes and clothing and this poem.

-----

Edit: In case of a portrait. There should be other people in it, too. In...Tilinka-fashioned outfits.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~

BUYING EGGS
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Notsizzly at Jan 22, 2012 9:47:43 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 9:44:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Apologies, real life is being uppity. I'll be about an hour late tonight.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Jan 23, 2012 3:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Pizzab

I have always wanted to be governor of an island for a little bit so I will apply.

Name: FrodoB and I am willing any time I am online

A poem:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
FrodoB of Hunter

I use to be a hobbit, till I took a ring to the finger.
[Jan 23, 2012 4:14:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

So, uh..
It's way too easy to misspell "Pauling" as "Vargas the Mad"
Note to self: don't do that again without first clearing out building coffers.

Edit: speeling
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Jan 23, 2012 9:04:07 PM]
[Jan 23, 2012 7:46:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

So, uh..
It's way to easy to misspell "Pauling" as "Vargas the Mad"
Note to self: don't do that again without first clearing out building coffers.

Construction on the Explorer's Hall will be delayed until we've had a chance to ship another 7,500 k stone, 100 wood, and 100 iron to Blackthorpe. And, uh, to re-position the site. And to re-hire the employees.

Also, don't tell Reeves what happened to his 17 million PoE. Funny story, really.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pauling at Jan 23, 2012 8:05:12 PM]
[Jan 23, 2012 7:59:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Are you still accepting applications? I know nothing about governing, but this intent has delighted me from the get-go (plus I want a wig portrait), so I wrote some Haiku:

Blackthorpe's new era:
Brightly painted palace walls;
Enchanting madness!

So many dummies
line the palace corridor;
I lose each battle.

Carefully placed eggs
Prevent my forward motion;
Still, I love this room!

I'm available from now. I only need enough time to push some buttons and have a portrait.

Also: Will a muffin hat
(Tilinka's choice of colors)
Sufficiently bribe?
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Jan 23, 2012 8:46:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Sure thing, Bunnylaroo! Poke me on Sage and I'll give you a go at the governor's hats!

Edit: Well, provided we still have Blackthorpe after this update-ma-jig.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tilinka at Jan 23, 2012 9:06:38 PM]
[Jan 23, 2012 9:03:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Ccarlson08

Also, don't tell Reeves what happened to his 17 million PoE. Funny story, really.

Ohh Do tell :D
Aiplaeso tells ye "the shoppes are beautiful works of art"
Aiplaeso tells ye, "pls call me Leonardo Da Vinci

Soulsearcher tells ye, "Ameer was a sith lord once"
[Jan 23, 2012 10:44:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amyrosee

ME WANTS TO BE GOVERNOR!

Pauling had a dream
and so it came true

i want to be a governor
just like you!

That's it :D :D

Now for the timeeee erm around 5 am gametimee

And i got plenty of hats for someone ;)

I hope this isn't so late D:
Amyrosee
Sage ocean now to be Emerald.

Hera says, "Amyrosee = SCARY"
[Jan 24, 2012 3:57:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Construction on the Explorer's Hall will be delayed until we've had a chance to ship another 7,500 k stone, 100 wood, and 100 iron to Blackthorpe. And, uh, to re-position the site. And to re-hire the employees.

So uh, I'll toss you the most of the wood and the iron. And some stone if you want to move it ><.

Can't wait to take a job at the site.

Tilinka should poke me on Sage for some crappy old hats.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~

BUYING EGGS
[Jan 24, 2012 4:07:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oceansadness

Had a walk around the island and its buildings this morning with the first coffee. Looks great hehe... when some similar colourful madness in permanent post-merge Emerald? :P
Sedna in Sage. Sedna/Seawaterdrop in Emerald

If it floats, shoot at it!
[Jan 24, 2012 6:21:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

When you get it all set up poke me in game I will re-stock it again :p
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Jan 24, 2012 6:46:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

With the passing of Bizarro Blackthorpe, I've finally had some time to organize all my notes. I've divided this into several section marked by the quote boxes below.

Overdue Thanks wrote: 

The blockade- and zaniness to follow- couldn't have been possible without the help of some wonderful hearties. We prepared and floated ships (twice!) largely thanks to the tireless efforts of Ynahteb and Bullseyebud. Bud also assisted in the simultaneous defense of Scrimshaw… he knows what he did. Royals from IE, Exposed, and the Perilous Puppets were all gracious in lowering their standards to a shocking degree in order to help me ensure that the blockade happened even in the face of many inconvenient bugs. Although my initial OM petitions were not answered very helpfully (I waited 7+ hrs before finally told to re-petition), Lelantos' prompt and informative answers the next day were a breath of fresh air. Good OMs deserve recognition too.

The island was decorated by Tilinka (palace, bank); Zava (palace); Tortie (distillery bazaar); Yaruto (ironmonger bazaar); Reeves (shacks+ construction site assistance); LJAmethyst (estate agent); Ynahteb (sheep in several locations). Screenshots. Funding was provided by a shockingly large number of people, including several very unlucky apothecaries. The island rename scheme was proposed by Sante, with Rogue Marks provided by Reeves, LJAmethyst, Tortie, Tilinka, and others.

We almost built an explorer's hall; thanks to Ynahteb for single-handedly awesoming the stone to the island, and everyone who took a job there. Reeves also added a shocking amount of PoE to finance construction, and at 20,000/hr, we offered what may be the highest sustained salaries ever seen in the game. (Briefly raised to 32,767 until The Typo wiped out the entire construction site)

This is only a partial list and does not do full credit to many deserving souls. In retrospect, I should not have kept my full thank you list in myVargas' shop news tab.

Island records and commentary wrote: 

As described in the credits, many people contributed to the design of Bizarro Blackthorpe. See their work in the fun screenshot gallery!

As promised, a full spreadsheet of palace logs is available for manipulation via Google Docs. Enjoy! Revenue estimates are approximate, due to sparse data: the "two weeks" that records last actually translates into records that cover a total of 4 days before the merge, and during this time tax rates were changing from BK-standard (100%) to a lower rate. Likewise, due to tax bugs, the tax revenue numbers on emerald may also not be correct. Taxes were set at 40% when we took the island.

Despite the island being home to multiple IMs and distilleries, the palace did a surprising amount of business in medium and large CBs (275,000+ PoE worth of throughput in 4 sage days!) Most of this went to just a few big-ship pillagers: Salvatrucha, Karitoo, Eternity, Reeves, and a one-time purchase from Devilduke to set up a new stall. These purchases continued even after the price of large cb's was raised, and it's a bit surprising to see so much volume for the palace, given the number of shops on the island.

NA took Blackthorpe on Jan 7th, and most of the actual duties of governing were performed by Kyubi. I wasn't able to find a record of any changes at all made by the nominal governor Skandalous in the 2 days of palace records for his tenure before the merge. This includes checking furniture in all buildings, palace/shop news (still set to the BK's rants in all buildings), etc. In a cursory search, there were only two places (bank and shacks) where I found any furniture left by past governors at all. Doesn't anyone invest in improving their islands anymore?

Trivia wrote: 

We were able to explore what happens when a BK takes an island, and I've added the details to the YPPedia for future players to learn from. As it turns out, BKs can be voted in as governor intentionally by any player flag, and voted out just as quickly. (but not before the damage is done) In terms of enabling a wide range of reasonable buy/sell offers, they're surprisingly good governors.

We also briefly maxed out construction site pay: as it turns out, you can pay up to 32,767 PoE/hr. (limit for a signed integer)

Although most houses allow 25 pets/scene, government buildings like banks seem to be limited to 5.

There are several legacy interfaces dating from when aspects of the game used to work differently. For example, the palace has a navy management tab that does nothing, and banks have a management pane that just brings up the coffers. Interestingly, banks appear to be the only island coffers that a BK doesn't raid when taking an island. (probably because BKs, like everyone else, forget banks exist)

[Jan 29, 2012 8:12:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

I read and saw what you did with Blackthorpe, I was very Impressed. I was wondering possibly would you like to work along side me and make some of these changes on the real Blackthorpe.

The thing I'm planning on doing as I think it will work is downgrading then upgrading the palace to get the props back that the previous owner deleted. I think this needs to be done as I asked the Oms could they fix it and they told me to replace it with my own furni, not that I'm against that I just think it would be better if someone didn't own the furni as such because then they can reclaim it at any stage.

But yes let me know if you are interested In making any changes with the real BT or if this is a one off just to test Ill be doing some of the things myself regardless.

Glad you had fun :)
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[Jan 29, 2012 8:27:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lastfarewell

I believe we got the props reset in Kasidim when we first took it after quoting this in the petition: " If palace props have been destroyed, you can request a reset of the palace. Note that this will completely reset everything, all furniture will be returned to its owner. This will be done at our discretion" from here.
Lissanna of Sage
QUEEN of Illium Eternae
I type in run-on sentences :)

Dwizzles tells ye, "guys have weiners. girls have not weiners"
Dwizzles tells ye, "its not that hard of a concept"
[Jan 30, 2012 9:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jash42

But yes let me know if you are interested In making any changes with the real BT or if this is a one off just to test Ill be doing some of the things myself regardless.

I've read what they did on Test Emerald and I would just like to encourage you that if you are going to rename the buildings to a new theme on the real BT to please consult with the non-government building owners too. I think that's how the namings got so messed up in the first place. Islands are nicer when the themes are upheld. It's not an easy task. Renaming everything took more politics than any blockade we've ever done.
Jimmynick
Captain of Lick'er Cabinet ~ King of Cocktail Party
Emerald Ocean
[Jan 30, 2012 3:57:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

I read and saw what you did with Blackthorpe, I was very Impressed. I was wondering possibly would you like to work along side me and make some of these changes on the real Blackthorpe.

The thing I'm planning on doing as I think it will work is downgrading then upgrading the palace to get the props back that the previous owner deleted. I think this needs to be done as I asked the Oms could they fix it and they told me to replace it with my own furni, not that I'm against that I just think it would be better if someone didn't own the furni as such because then they can reclaim it at any stage.

Glad you had fun :)

Thanks for the offer! My real-ocean PoE is pretty limited, but I'd be glad to discuss ways to bring some other changes to Blackthorpe. I'll look for you in game after the merge. In many ways, my role was that of cheerleader, so consider looking through the "thank you" section if you're looking for the interior decorating talent that made it all possible.

I'd also be glad to help with things like commod runs to help bring the needed stone or wood to the island. (assuming that Lissanna's really helpful information on palace resets doesn't pan out)

Just to follow up on jash42's comment: I do agree about getting building owners on board for any full rename, but truth be told, the island name scheme is the one thing I wouldn't change about Blackthorpe. Sante's medical name scheme is good, but after years of the island being run by "fort thorpe", I really do respect Cocktail Party's willingness to invest in the island on a production ocean. It's always nice to see flags leave a positive, lasting legacy.
[Jan 30, 2012 8:59:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lulunz

Just to follow up on jash42's comment: I do agree about getting building owners on board for any full rename, but truth be told, the island name scheme is the one thing I wouldn't change about Blackthorpe. Sante's medical name scheme is good, but after years of the island being run by "fort thorpe", I really do respect Cocktail Party's willingness to invest in the island on a production ocean. It's always nice to see flags leave a positive, lasting legacy.
I too would like to reiterate that I meant no disrespect to Cocktail Party with the Test-Emerald renames. It was just an opportunity to have some fun. The existing naming theme is good, and I wouldn't want to see it changed on a permanent basis.
Sante of Sagemerald
Senior Officer and Poet of the Lost Lot
Not bitter, just Twisted
[Jan 31, 2012 3:14:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates