• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7584 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
daleenmarine

Do Better?

I heard that other gunners were complaining that I'm a gun hog.
If you are one of those people who don't like how I gun, my suggestion is that you get faster at clicking since that's kinda how gunning is done.
Also, if you are a nav who doesn't want your guns filled as fast as possible, please just don't ask me to join you on your ship...I'd rather play spades than watch other people take forever to load.

P.S. No wonder Midnight is full of elitisis. Pirates who have worked hard to become good don't want to be on the same ship as people who moan and complain that they are being victimized because someone else is better.
----------------------------------------
HuskerMike wrote: 
It feels like you're on a jihad against me.

Antix wrote: 
And if he turns out to be an innocent lets not remember that fact at all.

[Jan 16, 2012 6:35:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

Re: Do Better?

You're a gun hog. <3

Personally, I like gun hogs. Means I can sit and look pretty and not actually work. *preens*
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jan 16, 2012 6:49:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pkinhahna

You know what - Calling all the other people who also like to gun and complain about gun hogging are not 'elitisis..isisisisisisisisis..<.<' About 99% of the really good gunners- you, Fannon, Flame, Ryanne, Amelia so on so forth just to name a few.. ARE gun hogs XD (bacon is GOOD and has to come from somewhere!) Psh be proud about it- your not being victimized.. it's just how it is. Eventually the other gunners will learn like Fannon and I, that we can sit and SF and TH and play on face book and check email- paint our finger nails psh.. let you do all the work until you have to go to the Little Pirates Room or ?Who let the dogs out?!?.. or the guns get down to 1 and the Navver is freaking out like- omgeh! Where are my gunners?! - Ive complained about gun hogs but IF it really bothers me I just send you a tell my own self and ask you to share a bit- Crap 2 guns while gunning with Fannon and I'm in gun heaven ? ... BUT Im no elitisis..isisis.. is that even how you spell it??? (googles )
o°¤*¨¨*¤?ï? Hahna ?ï?¤*¨¨*¤°o - Lady of Renegade Terrors
Landed on Midnight!

o°v°o~Siaye~o°v°o Princess of Universe A

And... then there was a turkey sandwich....
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pkinhahna at Jan 16, 2012 9:29:38 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 9:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Honestly, I can't think of a time when I wouldn't want so-called gun "hogs" on guns.

If I'm just puzzling, it's more or less irrelevant to me.

If I'm a driver, I *want* every gunner trying their best to be the biggest hog. I shoot a lot, so from this perspective it is ideal to have people battling it out to keep my guns full so I can shoot as much as I want. For that matter, it's great to have good puzzlers backing you up, and not just on guns. I am genuinely appreciative whenever I actually have great puzzlers supporting me and try to make sure they know it - solid puzzling can really make a difference and I am truly grateful for everyone's contributions!

If I'm a gunner, it doesn't really harm me any if there's nothing to fill; at worst I can hop between a "standby" station and the guns as needed (and that's more interesting and fun to me than sitting on a single station for hours on end, so I'm cool with that - most ships have empty stations available so if you're bored it's your own fault).

And sometimes I'm the one being the hog, anyways. I'll keep trying to fill guns as long as there are guns to fill because that's what I've been asked to do by the people in charge of the voyage and I answer to them, not other gunners. They care about having shots available when they need them - everything else is secondary to that. They've assigned some people to keep their guns full, and they don't care who filled them as long as they are full. So when I gun, I do it from that perspective. Giving them shots matters far more to me than anything else and as long as they have the shots they need, I don't care if it's me or the other gunners providing them.

It's also my personal policy to do the best I can, whatever I'm asked to do. So if I hog, then I hog, and if someone else does, then so be it. In the end, guns are filled and collectively we gunners did our job. So what's to complain about? *shrug*

Conversely, when there are three gunners yet I know that I filled 75% of the shots and the others aren't really pulling their weight, that's no fun. I'd much rather gun alongside Daleen, Amelia, or any other great gunner, since I know the navver will get the shots they need and I won't have to be excessively stressed about it.

You know, maybe having gunners spend some time driving will help change perspectives. Or even just spending more time on Skype with navvers they are gunning for. I think that's why I view things the way I do; because of voice chat and driving experiences, my puzzling focus is strongly aimed at what's best for the ship, not necessarily at what's good for me. Since I sometimes play the navver, or am chatting with them, I know what the navver wants and work my best to deliver. Daleen, Amelia, Fannon, and others have had similar experiences, and I strongly suspect that they see things similarly to how I do, probably for the same reasons.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Donsmythe at Jan 16, 2012 11:36:10 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 11:34:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
MagnaKnight

Personally you will find i never called you a "gun hog" i did however say that "you better let me gun WITH you" as one run the other day you refused to let a 2nd person gun with you period on a Junk Cit run which i personally find greedy. There are 12 gun and 8 can be fired a turn all you need to do is get into a system of "i will load these you load next and i will load next" OR implement a 5 seconds rule like i do. Even if i count to 5 i can still load 4 shots before the end of the turn usually so not an issue of you will not have guns. My term of a "gun hog" is someone who refuses to let another person gun with them period! I was on that ship when you just left over this issue and i was content to just bilge and let you and other person on skype with me gun (will not name names) in the end i ended up gun and i don't think the navver really had a gun shortage that run. Anyways i enjoy reading a good rant now on to MY rant.... where is my hearty request Daleen?!!!! >=0
Flames - Midnight extremist
Deadachmed - Kraken slayer

Looking for one of Tailor, Distillery, Apoth and Furnisher Shoppes on Gaea.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by MagnaKnight at Jan 17, 2012 4:21:58 AM]
[Jan 17, 2012 4:20:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MagnaKnight

Oh! P.S i am a gun hog and PROUD of it *flips the birdie to those who are haters*

[Jan 17, 2012 4:24:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

I heard that other gunners were complaining that I'm a gun hog.
If you are one of those people who don't like how I gun, my suggestion is that you get faster at clicking since that's kinda how gunning is done.
Also, if you are a nav who doesn't want your guns filled as fast as possible, please just don't ask me to join you on your ship...I'd rather play spades than watch other people take forever to load.

P.S. No wonder Midnight is full of elitisis. Pirates who have worked hard to become good don't want to be on the same ship as people who moan and complain that they are being victimized because someone else is better.

You abandoned me and missed out on the awesome goods!
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Jan 17, 2012 8:07:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yearbook50

When I've gunned with you, I've never had an issue.

Well except when my client crashes in the middle of a cit run, but that isn't b/c of you.

Now board sitters, they are no fun.
Yearbook
Cerulean
Queen of Crimson Tide

Rome says, "I don't even have a status of a man"
[Jan 17, 2012 8:25:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

There's only a problem with gun hogs in Atlantis, since you need to be puzzling to get chests. On junks, the nav might not even fire 4 a turn most of the time, and if one person is taking all the guns then the other gunner won't get their share of either guns or pay.

Personally, I take guns more than my share, but I try to spread the guns around on junk cit runs. Especially when the other gunner is yelling at me on skype =P

Any other voyage type though, you take whatever you can get.
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Jan 17, 2012 11:36:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

If you're losing out on your share, you can just revert to gun-sitting. It's not as fun as hopping but at least you're guaranteed to get guns to fill... eventually.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 17, 2012 11:49:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
butlert23

Ask the naver to shoot more!
[Jan 17, 2012 1:35:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

I wish I coudl subscribe to the way of thinking of you're not a gun hog? then what are you doing asking to gun on my damn ship then?

any and all gun hogs are welcome on any voyage I do, and if someone bitches to me about it I will just tell them to go get better
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Fleet Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Jan 17, 2012 1:35:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

People are silly. Like Don, if there are "gun hogs" on ships with ne, then I just consider myself a back-up gunner and carp until another gunner is needed. Most of the time, you don't need three gunners, even on a brig in a blockade. When cannons get low, it's good to have someone to jump in and help. I like the variety, too.
However, XOs note - you probably want to distribute your action gunners and your floaters between boats.
I'll gun with Daleen anytime.

I've generally thought "tell the nav to shoot more" to be silly. It's okay to do things other than gun.

Wait, what's a boat? Where am I?
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Jan 18, 2012 10:52:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MagnaKnight

People are silly. Like Don, if there are "gun hogs" on ships with ne, then I just consider myself a back-up gunner and carp until another gunner is needed. Most of the time, you don't need three gunners, even on a brig in a blockade. When cannons get low, it's good to have someone to jump in and help. I like the variety, too.
However, XOs note - you probably want to distribute your action gunners and your floaters between boats.

I've generally thought "tell the nav to shoot more" to be silly. It's okay to do things other than gun.

Clearly you never been on a Junk Cit run where ALL stations are full and station hopping is a no no. When the navver rarely shots and you have a minor lag and never gun or get on the report because the other gunner wants to just take them ALL it can piss people off especially if come divvy they end up with like 12 cuts of the divvy for gunning and you get what 1-2 cuts because they could not share 4 guns in a 10 minute period... it's greedy pure and simple. I have a routeen as i have said a hundred times, when i gun i rotate the loading with the other gunner IF they are in a SF or TH'ing then yes i will load guns as fast as possible as they can't help that BUT if both are just standing at the guns waiting i load 4 then i let them load 4.

The navver does NOT need more than 8 shots a turn and a Junk holds 12 so even if they fire all 8 and i load 4 they still have a full 8 to shoot if needed. There is no needed to say "oh the navver will run out" because if there is less than 6 shots free to the navver you SHOULD be loading fast no matter what but once the navver has 8 no need to steal the other persons when they jump off there 4 to get a decent board only to get back on the board to see you stole them.

I find sharing makes friends, hogging makes friends with navver but can leave you enemies.... and leaving the ship over the issue is just down right childish in my honest opinion =/.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by MagnaKnight at Jan 18, 2012 11:05:51 AM]
[Jan 18, 2012 11:02:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Craftydai

I am in no league to consider myself in the great gunning category as some of the others. But I do gun a lot and for a lot of different navers. And I've gunned with Daleen, and basically any other extremely good gunner. I don't see whats this whole sharing thing is about. Gunning is about loading the guns, if you want to do this station you have to out click your fellow gunners. Of course i've learned this gunning along side some very good gunners. Yes I said along side them, gunning isn't a team effort, you cover your arse and if the other gunner is lacking that is the Xo's problem. Sometimes a naver can put to many gunners on a ship, it really becomes a problem when you stack very good gunners together and theres to many and the naver doesn't shoot enough. But then thats not a sharing issue but a naver issue. But not being in my prime lately, i've noticed that if i'm gunning along side 2 leg. I best beat them to that click or i'm not loading. Its nothing personal its just there doing there job. But then again I've never had one of them give me a hand out. Its an aggressive station, if you don't like it then watch who you gun beside or pick anougher station, and I'm not amoung the popular gunners of midnight and I have figured that out.

-Sweat
[Jan 18, 2012 1:19:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

Clearly you never been on a Junk Cit run where ALL stations are full and station hopping is a no no. When the navver rarely shots and you have a minor lag and never gun or get on the report because the other gunner wants to just take them ALL it can piss people off especially if come divvy they end up with like 12 cuts of the divvy for gunning and you get what 1-2 cuts because they could not share 4 guns in a 10 minute period... it's greedy pure and simple. I have a routeen as i have said a hundred times, when i gun i rotate the loading with the other gunner IF they are in a SF or TH'ing then yes i will load guns as fast as possible as they can't help that BUT if both are just standing at the guns waiting i load 4 then i let them load 4.

The navver does NOT need more than 8 shots a turn and a Junk holds 12 so even if they fire all 8 and i load 4 they still have a full 8 to shoot if needed. There is no needed to say "oh the navver will run out" because if there is less than 6 shots free to the navver you SHOULD be loading fast no matter what but once the navver has 8 no need to steal the other persons when they jump off there 4 to get a decent board only to get back on the board to see you stole them.

I find sharing makes friends, hogging makes friends with navver but can leave you enemies.... and leaving the ship over the issue is just down right childish in my honest opinion =/.

That's less gun-hogging and more general etiquette. I have no problem with letting the other gunner "get on the board" as i'd hope the other person with me let's me. But after the period of making sure you both get divy chances gun-hogging isn't a problem in my opinion. If you can out-gun what they fire chances are the other gunner will end up in swordfights instead geting a 2nd div, or even Treasure-hauling.
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Jan 19, 2012 9:13:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates