• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9366 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
blobbles

Intent to be Active

I'll keep this simple. I have less than a fortnight until my latest year long sub runs out. 13 days to be precise. That's 13 days in which to justify a re-sub, because the last one was a $74.95 waste of money (Don't ask why I didn't use the discount, I'm stoopid okay.). The only thing that has kept me 'playing' this game so long is the people. Unfortunately over the years the people I have played with have either retired or buggered off to greener pastures, and I never replaced them with new hearties. As such, slowly everything in game lost its appeal to me, and I just ended up standing round talking to my three crewmates. Who, and I blame my own absenteeism for this, have also buggered off mostly.

If I do let my sub lapse, without the hearties to keep me coming back, I'm gone. I'm not going to hold my breath on the old hearties coming back, so I either have to make new ones, or find another reason to stay. The upcoming merger might make things more interesting, but it's not something I'm going to re-sub in anticipation of, and I have no desire to play the game while un-subbed. I sure as hell ain't going greenie and moving to Viridian.

So here is what's happening. Over the next 13 days I am open to any activity (that isn't creepy) on land or on water. I am open to meeting new friends and equally new enemies. I will be logged on for a minimum of 3 hours Monday-Saturday, during which I will be looking to do stuff. And unless I am already involved in activity, I will not be turning down any offers. A word of warning though. I am currently teetotal. Highly caffeinated, but absolutely sober. Only time will tell if this is a bad or good thing, however.

It should also be said that I have absolutely no desire to change my crew/flag situation. There's no point in me sticking around at all if I can't be a bastard on a whim and consequences be damned.
----------------------------------------
Blobbles - Captain of Simulated Sobriety - King of Drunken Deadbeats.
Supreme Overlord of all things Alcoholic - Cobalt.
[Jan 16, 2012 1:53:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Intent to be Active

From one event-runner to another:

The game can have its lulls in excitement, but it's up to us to make it an exciting place. I don't have anything planned for this coming week as you've requested, but definitely lots of events are planned for the post-merger. Where would the game be without St. Blob's Day?
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 16, 2012 4:51:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I just resubbed for another year. Only $50 for me, so hey, why not? I'm letting my sub to another game (that's going free to play) lapse shortly anyway. And there's at least a 50/50 chance this game'll still be up in a year. :/
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jan 16, 2012 6:00:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hodgdon

*Begins stalking Blobbles*
Hodge, the man who forgot how to puzzle.
[Jan 16, 2012 11:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blobbles

I just resubbed for another year. Only $50 for me, so hey, why not? I'm letting my sub to another game (that's going free to play) lapse shortly anyway. And there's at least a 50/50 chance this game'll still be up in a year. :/

Yeah, I too only have to pay $50 (hence the stoopid comment about paying full whack). Which isn't bad at all, it's just over £30 for a year's worth of potential entertainment. I used to spend more than that in a month on beer, so I can afford it, but it's still not an amount I can justify spending on what has essentially been for me a a rather colourful FB chat...

SS wrote: 
The game can have its lulls in excitement, but it's up to us to make it an exciting place. [...] Where would the game be without St. Blob's Day?

I couldn't agree more. I've always been an advocate of players creating fun on the oceans. And I have always got much enjoyment out of my attempts to do just that. Unfortunately much of that enjoyment was due to the friends that supported me, and now that they've mostly drifted off, the remaining supporters are far outnumbered by the ungrateful little turds who just inflict their bad and selfish attitudes on me. Which kinda puts me on a downer. Why would I even bother making an effort for that? A few years ago I was working on a very big and very elaborate supersekrit event for St Blob's day, and as the day got closer I got more and more indications that people just wanted the easy handouts. So I toned things down, and after what I experienced that day, I was glad I did. I always put myself through a lot for that day, I never wanted sympathy for it, but what started out as a fun 24 hour marathon for me, turned into a drawn out nightmare over the last couple of years.

Since '09 I've been telling myself that it would be my last one, because it wasn't good for me. The yearly cycle of 'must make this one the best one yet' 'oh crap how am I going to do that?' stress stress stress 'okay, that's a plan, now I need prizes' 'need to raise funds, must work on that' stress stress stress 'funds sorted, time to buy prizes' 'prizes bought, oh crap now I need to solve all those problems which have cropped up' stress stress stress. Then the big day would come around, which even though it always seems to start out with an unexpected hitch, I'm always positive about. And inevitably within an hour, someone says something which starts me on a downer. And as the day progresses, I get more and more crap. To the extent that when I do finally go to bed....or pass out several hours early because I forgot to drink the coffee I made...I'm thinking 'last one, I don't need this anymore'. And I don't like dropping off to sleep with negative thoughts. And then over the next few weeks, I'll get messages of thanks, telling me how much they enjoyed the day and that they had lots of fun. And I'll talk myself into doing it all again for people like that. I know I shouldn't get stressed over it, but I'm that sort of person. I want the impossible, I want everyone to be happy.

I get so much support from a small group of people every year financially, which I appreciate greatly. I even get offers of help to plan the day's events. Unfortunately I can't accept that, last time I did, they blatantly misunderstood the whole sentiment of St Blob. It seems those that know "me" and what "I" like, think that Stblob is all about the same. That's not right in any way....except the booze thing... Blobbles and Stblob are manifestations of two entirely separate parts of my personality. What tickles Blobbles is often completely abhorrent to my Saintly persona. Those closest to me possibly don't see much of a difference, but it's a distinction I play for those who don't know me more than those that do. The people who know me get the complete personality 90% of the time rather than the split I play for strangers. And as such, if I want to maintain the purity of the occasion I find myself having to do that aspect of the planning alone. The part I've always needed the most support though, and possibly the part I actually get the least, would be maintaining an aura of positivity on the day itself. I don't need much. I don't need someone following me around up my butt all day. But y'know when someone is being all negative about the Saint in public, someone other than me to tell them to sdfu, really makes a difference. I used to have friends that did that, then they left. I get some support like that still, don't get me wrong, but it is rarely when I really need it.

The friends leaving has had a massive effect on St Blob's day. It'd be awesome to do many things, say I wanted to run a St Blob's themed Lanty run. Who the hell do I get to nav now? I can't bnav in Lanty. I have to find someone that can not only do the task but can keep quiet about what I may have in store. I sure as hell don't have the hearty list for that any more. I can't even tap into what once was a very well connected hearty web. (sorta like an alliance web, but with hearties, and so smaller and therefore cuter and without any negative connotations at all). Once upon a time, if I couldn't find an ideal candidate myself I only had to ask one person who would know exactly who to ask. Last time I put out a feeler (pervs.) the one person I asked had to ask 6 different people before getting back to me that it was no go. That's 7 people who then knew something that they didn't need to know. I like surprises damnit, that sorta stuff ruins surprises. I know there is still the necessary talent out there, but by my own inaction I've found myself quite isolated from it. Which is what I'm attempting to begin to remedy over the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but at least I tried to see if it would.

Perhaps you can see from this long and, frankly, unneeded response...I probably won't be too fussed about the end of St Blob's day as things are now. It sure as hell isn't a reason to stick around any more. Actually, if anything, it's a reason not to. If I do decide to stay, it'd only leave me 2 weeks to get everything together. Stress stress stress.

Hodge wrote: 
*Begins stalking Blobbles*

Creepy.
[Jan 17, 2012 3:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I understand this. And I think it's ok that you needed to say it out loud.

I rely on my hearty network for a lot of my enjoyment of the game, and it's been letting me down lately, too. I don't drive (I don't enjoy it) and so I've always been a jobber - I used to have plenty of hearties who drove. Now I'm down to just a few. It's hard, but I've been trying jobs off the notice board, and have gotten myself a few new driver hearties to replace the long-gone ones. I know it's not the same with the kind of thing you're talking about, but there are people out there that would be willing to help you, I'm sure. I know I could probably scare you up someone to do a big ship run, out of my flag of old-timers. They just need a reason sometimes, you know? I think your events could serve to involve others in the ocean more.

Let me know, if you like, what kind of support you need, if you decide to move forward. I've done a lot of event judging, so I know how to keep someone else's event secrets. I'm sure you've got some ideas that would be more easily implementable in 2 weeks. I can try to help with prizes too.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jan 17, 2012 11:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kjdk

to long to much to read
kjdk - Cereal Ocean, Coblat Side
Empty Planet
~Making rude posts daily is specialty
[Jan 17, 2012 12:20:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

to long to much to read

I think that was supposed to be 'To long for much to read' - very poetic. Clearly he wants you to write more :)
[Jan 17, 2012 12:42:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MissCee

I'm volunteering to help out with St. Blobbles Day :)
Misscee on Cobalt

[Jan 17, 2012 6:10:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kjdk

to long to much to read

I think that was supposed to be 'To long for much to read' - very poetic. Clearly he wants you to write more :)

Clearly you cant read
Empty Planet
[Jan 17, 2012 6:57:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blobbles

Misscee wrote: 
St. Blobbles Day

Just a heads up. I die a little inside whenever someone gets this wrong. It's St Blob. No bles. There is no room for bles on this day.

And I'm grateful for all the offers of help and such, but really I don't want to even think about it until I've decided on my future in PP. I wasn't asking for help (although if I do stay, I will need it) I was trying to point out why it isn't an incentive for me to stay. I know people enjoy the day, and I like that there are people that do. But I don't want to be thinking about it now, because I don't want it to be part of me making my mind up. If I do include it, I can pretty much guarantee I'll be gone. I want to focus on trying to find what I've been missing in the game, and hopefully, in doing so I will come to enjoy the game again and actually want to put effort into St Blob's day because I like it and enjoy it rather than thinking it is an obligation.

Kjdk wrote: 
Clearly you cant read

Dude, don't comment on other people's literacy skills when you caused the issue with a lack of punctuation and too few o's. It makes you look silly.

Edit: Fixied quotes.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by blobbles at Jan 18, 2012 1:12:58 AM]
[Jan 18, 2012 1:12:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kjdk

love you to blobs

to, too, two, all reads the same every one understands you'll live
Empty Planet
[Jan 18, 2012 4:55:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Apparently my humor is too dry.

Blobbles, we're trying to address the problem that seems to be driving you from PP. If you're deciding your fate on PP without reference to St Blob's Day, tell us what we can do to help with that :) I don't like to see folks leaving when there's something we can do to help them want to stay - it's clear you're torn, as opposed to just saying "feh, I don't care about this anymore, so I'm out".
[Jan 18, 2012 6:28:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blobbles

I've had more fun in the last three days than I have in the last 3 years. It may be novelty value, only time will tell. The best way people can help with the making up of the mind would be to just check see if I'm about when something is happening, see if I want in. The more I do, the more people I encounter and the more I realise that there are still some very cool people on this ocean. I just beg people to be patient with my somewhat rusty and erratic skills. I swear I used to be quite good at this game.
[Jan 18, 2012 4:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bkny612

I've had more fun in the last three days than I have in the last 3 years. It may be novelty value, only time will tell. The best way people can help with the making up of the mind would be to just check see if I'm about when something is happening, see if I want in. The more I do, the more people I encounter and the more I realise that there are still some very cool people on this ocean. I just beg people to be patient with my somewhat rusty and erratic skills. I swear I used to be quite good at this game.

That being said, when will you be on so I can trade you some crap for the heathen holiday we aren't having? :D
Kill your brother, you'll feel better-----Edgar Frogg (The Lost Boys)

Freak
Captain of Freakshow(a non-crew)
King of Carnival Of Oddities(a non-flag)
[Jan 18, 2012 8:03:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hodgdon

hahahah, Blob, I keep telling people i'm only terrible cause I haven't puzzled in a few years. Haven't figured out how long people will accept this reason.
[Jan 18, 2012 9:47:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mikeywelsh

Hey! We moved to Viridian because you were never around, and I spent more than a few hours licking your boots making you come there with us, because I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

You just want to go back to Cobalt because you saw how awesome I am as a captain and you couldn't handle it :(

You suck. You know our women will eventually end up going with you, and without my women, including you, I'm nothing.

This public display of affection will either guilt you into coming back to me (but we all know that wont happen, as you have no soul and no sense of guilt), or I'll end up coming back to Cobalt...

I hate you so much...
Paidup on Viridian
Mrman on Cobalt
[Jan 19, 2012 1:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blobbles

Hodge wrote: 
hahahah, Blob, I keep telling people i'm only terrible cause I haven't puzzled in a few years. Haven't figured out how long people will accept this reason.

I'm amazed you can get away with that at all. You've always sucked hardcore, I thought everyone knew.
Freak wrote: 
That being said, when will you be on so I can trade you some crap for the heathen holiday we aren't having? :D

/e glares

Mrman wrote: 
Hey! We moved to Viridian because you were never around

I wrote: 
Who, and I blame my own absenteeism for this, have also buggered off mostly.

Ya. I know.
Mrman wrote: 
You just want to go back to Cobalt because you saw how awesome I am as a captain and you couldn't handle it :(

HA!
Mrman wrote: 
You suck.

You wish.
Mrman wrote: 
I hate you so much...

You love me. But you're going to have to learn to share me.
[Jan 19, 2012 2:24:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mikeywelsh

You love me.

Yeah, didn't I make that painfully obvious? You just cost me 42 dubs you douche <3
Paidup on Viridian
Mrman on Cobalt
[Jan 19, 2012 2:39:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hodgdon

Pfft, I take offense!
[Jan 20, 2012 1:18:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voiceweird

IF U WANT TO BEAT CYBRPYRO IN A BLOCKADE USE BOBBLES GREAT WALL OF TEXT. IF U WANT TO GET LAID YPP FORUMS ISNT THE PLACE. BYE
[Jan 27, 2012 3:08:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates