• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12163 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
Shuranthae

Under a Maudlin Sky

It's been a while. As this is going to be a lengthy ordeal so I suppose I should summarize now. Yes, my disappearance was rather sudden. No, I am not back. No, I haven't been keeping up with these forums or, well, anyone, really. No, I am not coming back. No, this won't include too much information about me. This is mostly about two things: my feelings and thoughts of YPP and the character I played (though not in that order). This is a somewhat lengthy writeup, even for me. Enjoy.

Told myself that when I retired I'd write this at some point well after the grave had been dug and the stones placed. This has been a piece in progress for some years now actually. Basically, someone will remind me that Shur existed and I'll find some motivation to write. I'll write a bit, then get tired of writing and stop until someone pokes me at a later point in time. Continue for several months, years, until crispy brown then take out of oven and post on the forums.

Anyway, I was a great deal many things to many people but high among them I was a mystery. I was once referred to as a puzzling pirate, a description I was sad to see slip through time. I am here now to solve some of that puzzle now that Shur is no longer among us because I have always hated mysteries that go unsolved beyond their time. Consider this to also mean that Shur's story is officially over. Even if by some miraculous means I was cajoled into playing again, it wouldn't be as Shuranthae, the character. The name might be the same, but as far as I'm concerned the character is well dead.

Some background information is needed before I talk about Shur. My original account was created on Talk like a Pirate Day of the Beta. I honestly had no desire to play this silly little game that I had thought my friends were overly excited and raving about but I did so anyway to humor them and get them to shut up. I used the name Shuranthae, one I had used for a D&D character before. Because I had no desire to play I went with a model opposite of what I'd typically go for: black scruffy male that never went with anything but rags and a foil. Not to imply anything about black scruffy males in rags but that just doesn't really match my mind's eye of who I am. It was a somewhat childish gesture, a rub that said "look at how (not) seriously I am taking this and how long I expect to play." Within two weeks all of those friends that begged me to play moved on to something else. I stayed for quite a bit longer.

While I played during the Beta I came to enjoy the game more and more. During the Beta I never joined crew or flag because I wanted myself ever available should those friends of mine ever decide to come back. I quickly grew tired of explaining those circumstances so I eventually just told everyone I enjoyed being crewless, something that could not be further from the truth at the time. Still, being crewless afforded me a great deal of opportunities that wouldn't be available otherwise. I met and played with a great deal more people during the few months of Beta left than you would normally expect in such a time frame. Those who met me during the Beta adored and loved me. There was really no reason to back then, I was not only a skilled player but I was disturbingly friendly, helpful, polite, modest, and possibly even a bit on the shy side. In short, there was not a hint of Shuranthae in me, at least not outwardly, at the time. Despite this brief period only lasting a few months, the positive impressions I imparted on many people would later come to bite me in the ass as I tried to stake out my ruthless persona. It did make for an amusing contrast however as people who had never meet me would contend with rumors that I was either the nicest person or the largest ass.

As Beta was coming to an end I found myself enjoying the game enough to want to purchase it and continue playing. Having finally made up my mind that this was not simply a short distraction I'd take for a couple of months I decided to set out with some serious goals in mind for how I wanted to play this game. Having been crewless and pretty good at puzzling during the Beta I decided I wanted to continue down that path and take it as far as I could. I wanted to be the best and I wanted to do so standing alone, with no one else to prop me up. At the time I was actually leaning more toward the latter than the former. I had no idea how good I would become but trying to do so alone in a game that was so heavily group based had a very large appeal to me. I started to really dig into each and every puzzle to figure out how they tick instead of just doing whatever whenever. I expanded on the social puzzle, contributed to the forums and the community more, and all in all made a name of myself as being the crewless person everyone knew, or at least knew of. The transition to an albino character model was also to match these goals. Pure white seemed like a good theme for someone who wanted to be spotless and perfect without fault. It also served as a distinguishing trait, to set me apart from everyone else as the lone wolf I wanted to be. Was definitely easy to pick me out in a circle. At the time, more than anything, it was a symbol that I wanted to take the game and my goals a bit more seriously.

Within the coming months I began to flesh out more and more of what I wanted Shur to be like. It wasn't till the first April after the Midnight launch that the character Shuranthae really began to be. The first of April has always has been a favorite time of mine to try new things. No one knows how serious you are and if it doesn't end well you can just play it off as an overly long fool's joke. So it was on the first April of 2004 that I created the forum account "Shuranthae" complete with my first of many psychotic avatars (<3 Kefka). I will admit now that the use of many of my avatars (particularly that first one) as well as the shift in writing style was to try to undo the damage I had unknowingly done to my character by being as friendly as I had been. I'm not sure how long it took people to notice my change in style or behavior but the avatar, as least, seemed to be somewhat successful.

I'm unsure how many players, back then and even today, have noticed this but YPP was actually defined as a MMORPG. The MMO part is pretty much a given but I think many people overlook the RPG element of it, if they knew of it at all. Back then the playerbase did... what I shall call very light RPing. It mostly consisted of people slightly piratifying their speech and adding "Arr!" to seemingly random places in a conversation. I wanted more. It's difficult to recall what exactly brought it about, I'm sure there were numerous factors, but who can say? I like to believe that a large part of it was the community. Back then, the playerbase was largely of a mature mind set. Many players were well spoken and treated others with respect. There wasn't a whole lot of "loljkjk" or "asl :)" going about. People were friendly, quick to accept and tolerate others and not so quick to judge or criticize. Finally, for whatever reason, people cared about the game and their character in the game. It felt like a really good environment to develop and roleplay a character in. So I did. I am pleased to say that I wasn't alone, there were several others that also chose to roleplay a character not quite like who they were in reality. However, as this is Shur's story, I won't give them much more thought here.

Over the next few months I put a lot of thought into what kind of character I wanted Shuranthae to be. While it was very much a work in progress throughout the years I played this game, most of the development happened during those months. Like many others, I went with an evil character. Partly because most people like playing the heroes. Partly because it's so difficult to play a good villain. Maybe partly because we're pirates. Arr. There was also a practical reason due to the exploitive nature of the Battle Nav game. Having been one of the better players early on, I was able to predict how others would move on a level that seemed to genuinely frighten most people. As with the nature of all exploitive mental games, frightening and unnerving people that faced me gave me an even larger advantage as it made them exploitable/predictable. Looking back I like to think that, more than anything, I thought it would simply be a more fun character to play, though it's possible that was just an eventual side effect to the practical advantages.

Being an evil villain is easy. Being a good evil villain is difficult. Especially a good villain that wants to be taken seriously. I wanted Shur to be evil, feared, and respected. It's easy to just be a douchebag that everyone hates. It's hard to be something more. I wanted people to love hating him, to actually enjoy it and have fun doing so. I wanted people to talk about the wrongness of his deeds with a smile or a laugh, even if they were on the receiving end. I wanted people to take him seriously, but, at the same time, not seriously. This was particularly an important line that I wanted made and never crossed. Part of it out of principle (it's just a game, everyone should enjoy it), part of it as a show of respect to the makers of the game. I like to think I did a good job at not crossing said line but I know of many who would disagree. After all the time that has passed, I don't think it really matters anymore who was right and wrong, whether I succeeded or failed, but I note it as important to understand my intentions on why Shur was created the way he was.

In the end, I settled with making a few defining principles which Shur followed to all his being, and a great deal many more finer traits to further define him, some broken often and forgotten. As I can't even remember many of them, I won't bother going into it too much here. The biggest three that still stick in my mind were that he was brilliant, insane, and egotistical. All three, at extremes, to the core. I realized early on that doing something like this would be necessary if I wanted to still enjoy the game (or have others enjoy being around me). The only real alternatives would be to make an alt (which I believe was the common solution many of our shady villains took) or to break character a lot which kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. Having these three core traits not only allowed for so many great opportunities of roleplay but effectively allowed me to bullshit my way out of every possible situation that might have otherwise been out of character.

Shuranthae was extremely intelligent. I, the player, like to think I have some smarts about me as well, but he goes beyond that. Shur is cunning and crafty to a point where every action, every word, might be part of some grandiose plot. Everything is always going according to plan. Every win, every loss, every act of piracy and every act of kindness. It could be a test to see how people respond in a given situation, or a means to throw people off guard to win the bigger battles. The best part of playing a character more intelligent than you are is that they get to know things you don't. If I accidentally guessed an answer right, Shur knew it all along. Guessed it wrong? Shur still knew it, and was just testing you. Friendships are formed purely as a means to some bigger end. You may not see it. I may not see it. Shur does, though. Well, except when he is just being crazy.

Insanity wasn't initially part of the plan, and it's really the biggest cop out of all when it comes to breaking character. But it is just so deliciously fun to play a character that is insane, I could not resist. Sometimes Shur does things just because it makes him smile, or laugh. Things that make no sense, things that only he finds funny. I like to think it kept people on their toes and made him more interesting. There were fun, out of character events that I did under the premise of an intelligent social or economical experiment. Doing things just because he was insane was so much more fun though, so I went with that rather often. When I think of Shur's defining characteristic, the image of him laughing maniacally as he watches the dominoes topple is a strong one in my mind. I tweaked this a lot (how exactly he was crazy) in numerous ways over time. Things from split personality (he'd argue with himself a lot, or take the exact opposite stance that he would a few minutes prior and argue just as logically and vehemently about it), childish whimsy, acts of pure randomness, worshipping and/or acting on behalf of some deity or force of chaos, etc. I'm not sure if I ever settled on anything, and may have just bounced between how exactly he was crazy from moment to moment. Hopefully that indecision just made him seem even crazier.

Between being extremely intelligent and extremely insane, I thought I was starting to have the makings of a decent but possibly likeable villain. The two work very well together. Shur knows people thinks he's a loony toon so he knows people don't know whether he's doing something out of a whim or for an actual reason. A lot of the completely random things I had him say or do was simply to further this impression. If something worked well, it was part of the plan. If something didn't, it was simply for the pure fun of seeing chaos happen. I threw a lot of resources into making this so. It helped that resources weren't so hard to come by for me though, so little acts of insanity to me seemed like rather extravagantly wasteful acts of insanity to others. Fun stuff.

There is one thing that has always stood out to me when it comes to villains: their egos. Ambition is usually not only the driving motivation to villainy but also the largest flaw. Everyone knows that the turnaround point is always the scene where the big baddie has the heroes at their mercy, and explains everything instead of just killing them. The need to achieve more than they should—to take from others and stand at the top—is only dwarfed by their need to be understood.

It wouldn't do to not have an ego when Shur is supposed to be so over the top in everything else, so I simply made him even more egotistical than most people perceive possible. It worked out rather nicely seeing as how many didn't perceive him as egotistical at all. He was. Egotistical. To. A. Fault. Shur was simply so egotistical, had such sublime confidence in himself and everything he did, that he never felt the need to boast or explain himself. Everything he did may have had a rhyme and reason, it didn't matter if no one understood it, or him. Initially, the only person he ever needed to prove anything to was himself, and even that was scrapped. The mere concept that he didn't already see himself as the pinnacle of everything relevant/important was a conflict to how much ego he was supposed to have. As a side note here: it always amused me when people argued over whether I was offensively arrogant or just extremely confident.

There were other reasons why I had to defined his ego as well as I did early on. The biggest one being his fame was garnering completely ridiculous reactions out of people. I could sometimes accurately describe it as psychotic fangirlism. It was exactly the wrong kind of reaction I wanted his character to invoke though. There was also no way to fix the damage being done without actually crossing over lines of meanness I didn't want crossed. Not that kind of villain, despite what some may think. In the end, I settled for trying to mostly ignore it. That's all fine and dandy for me but I also had to rationalize why Shur, the character, would ignore people as opposed to running them through or simply telling them off. Thus I established a level of stoic indifference in his character to match the madness. That indifference in what others thought about him turned into indifference about what anyone else thought about anything, and thus the seeds of his ego were born.

And that's pretty much how I created Shuranthae. Everything was either part of some big master plan to dominate the ocean, challenge the gods, or whatever else that I didn't actually bother spending much time to think through because it didn't honestly matter, or some insane whim for giggles. Shur did not boast (except when necessary as part of a plan) because he didn't care what anyone thought. He'd never look down at you or think you less of a person for any reason because he never bothered to look at you at all (again except when it's part of some plan or for the giggles). Giggling was another aspect of his character as well, now that I think about it. I gave Shur some childish qualities to further emphasize both his insanity and the fact that he doesn't care what anyone else thinks. When he is amused, he giggles. When he laughs, it's to cackle manically moreso to make a dramatic impression (or manipulation) than out of actual amusement. Such a fun character. Even with those bullshit escape mechanics to work with, I broke character much more often than I care to admit to. I like to think I got better at it over time, but that may simply be wishful thinking.

Hopefully that clears up many questions about Shuranthae, the pirate, at least. Those of you who may have known him can try to look back with this information and see if things make any more sense, or not. For the most part, I tried to keep all actions in game in character, and everything in a Parley forum in character (I failed my RP in Parley checked often, sadly). I was kind of wishy-washy about whether I should have been in character in the Events forum, I think I tried anyway for a lot of threads. Some of the stuff in Shore Leave was also in character, though probably shouldn't have been (I took what opportunities I could to develop Shur, appropriate or not). Most of the stuff in Game Design was ooc, as well as anything I posted on my playing account, Yoda (a nickname).

Suppose there is one pretty major event in Shur's history that could be seen as out of character (as ooc as possible for someone with beyond imaginable intelligence and insanity): joining Crimson Tide. In many ways, Crimson Tide was the pinnacle of the exact opposite of what I initially imagined Shur to be. It was kind of unexpected for a lone wolf to join the then biggest flag on the Ocean. A black spot to Shur's whiteness, or I guess more accurately a white spot in his heart of black. Having the excuse of intelligence and insanity, it was still fairly easy to tell myself that I joined simply to pull the strings behind the scene of a powerful flag, that it was all part of a plan, if not merely a whim to throw everyone offguard and do what was least expected.

It pains me to admit it but I joined CT for entirely altruistic reasons. The short version was that I befriended Misery and she needed the support that I could more easily provide by being part of her flag to also give practical support. She was incredibly stressed trying to run the flag and picking up the pieces of things that had happened (not going into details here because they're not really relevant to Shur's story) and I found the best way to support her was to help fix those problems directly.

This might seem like an odd thing to some, I suppose I'll have to try to talk a bit about myself, the person typing this, to explain. I am a... somewhat distant person by nature. I hate small talk. Not a fan of meaningless greetings and how are yous. There are people that I care for and respect a great deal (some even reading this now) that I haven't spoken to in years. I simply don't care to. Not keeping in contact with someone doesn't change my feelings for them. Socializing and maintaining appearances is really not an important thing to me. Had it been, I would have joined a crew or flag sooner than I did. As such, had a friend not needed me, I likely would never have joined one at all. I am very comfortable with myself and being alone. In general, I've also found that not staying too close to a circle allows me to float between more circles than most. I digress. Despite all this, I go to great lengths to help friends when they really need help and this was one such time. There was nothing more between Misery and myself, despite what some people might have thought. I do the same for any friend I care for were the need great enough.

My initial plan was that I wouldn't be with them long, just a few months to help Misery patch things up and I'd be off on my merry, maniacal way. It didn't... quite end up working as planned. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe I had just gotten lazy and that it was easier to maintain the status quo of staying than enact a change. Maybe I had just gotten too attached and cared too much for those silly people. I recall actively trying to resist that very possibility. I avoided people in the flag as much as allowed. That worked for the longest time, the Royalty got to know me after a few months but most of the rest of the Flag didn't for probably over a year. Speaking of the Royalty, none of them (Misery aside) initially trusted or liked me at all. Understandable, since the last thing my lone wolf would have done was interact with the then largest flag; none of them knew me except by reputation. I can only imagine some just thought I had been taking advantage of the situation, which amused me because that is exactly how I was RPing it internally. Trying to help then made for interesting times.

When I joined I suppressed certain aspects of the character that was Shuranthae. All part of the master plan. Kind of had to since I was now representing a Flag, and it's people, instead of just myself. At some point (I don't remember when exactly) I realized this might go on for longer than I initially expected so I still tried to RP Shur where and when possible, hopefully not getting CT into too much trouble with my shenanigans. I really can't remember too many of the things that would have been if I remained flagless, it's not really that important to me now along with the numerous other countless "what ifs" that get lost in the sea of life.

Honestly it's a small price to pay to lose a fictional character in order to support a friend. Looking back I'm somewhat surprised that I managed to keep the character somewhat alive at all through it. Some things were obviously lost. The lone wolf part of his character was mostly gone, though I tried to keep it by remaining a one man crew, practically independent and isolated from the rest of the flag in many ways. That was eventually destroyed as well when I invited a few lost ones to join the Wynds. Also for altruistic reasons, though not too important here. Anyway, I abandoned a number of plans I had, and toned the insanity level down a lot.

And that's more or less Shur's story up until the time I stopped playing. Many more things happen, but not many other things changed how I envisioned or made Shur's character to be beyond the above. At least, none that really come to mind now. In the end, I simply created a character to play the game in a way I thought would be fun. I hope that gives some of you who knew him some insight on the character that was Shuranthae. It's unfortunate that I had to mention anything about myself, the player, at all, but I guess some things are necessary to get the story across. The truth of the matter is, as skilled a player as I may be, Shur was, by far, much more interesting a character than I. Not to belittle myself or anything but nice people are simply less interesting than psycho clowns that can read your mind.

Finally, I'll talk about why I left the game and this community. I'm not really one that cares for closure but I get the occasional "whhhyyyy" so I might as well have it out. To put it simply: it was just time to go. That is the kind of person I am. I travel to some circles, I stay a while, and I leave. Games, places, people, friends. Some would think that there need be external factors or reasons to act the way I do, but that is just the way I am. Whimsical, with a hint of insanity. I have friends I care a great deal about that I haven't communicated with in over a decade. I could call or email them if I cared to, and it's not any amount of awkwardness or fear of an uncomfortable silence or rejection that I don't. I simply don't care to. I see it as the natural flow of life and it doesn't change how I think or feel about someone or something just because our time has gone and went.

I knew this and kind of expected it. It was half the reason I refused to take on the role of Monarch, I knew I might just get distracted by something else and go away (the other half being some vain idea that my stay in CT was temporary). As such, I never wanted CT (or anyone, really) to rely on me that much. I have to say that YPP kept me around much longer than I expected though. Eventually, the nature of me won out and I went away, without so much as a bang or bye. I just didn't feel there was a reason to make a fuss over it, regardless of what kind of impression I may leave on people. It's difficult for me to explain this well, so I just won't bother. Just one of the things that make me me.

All that aside, I have very fond memories of the game, the time I spent in it, and the people I've gotten to know through it. I would thank all of you, but that seems a little silly to me, so I won't. But really, I guess this whole thing letting the mask behind Shur slip a bit is a sort of thank you to the playerbase. I think the way many people look at such things is kind of silly, to be honest. Most of you barely knew me, why do my thoughts and reasons matter? I don't. I think it's enough that we enjoy the time spent and everything else is just fluff. Have I remarked on my incredibly hedonistic nature yet? Definitely in the past, maybe not in this post.

I will, however, thank Three Rings. I have done so numerous times while being an active part of the community, and I feel it is only fitting for it to be the last message I leave. Nothing too drawn out, I've said many similar things in my time being active that I don't care to repeat, so just a brief thanks. I felt that there were two things that made YPP special to me. First, it is a wonderful and great game. I can not praise enough the numerous facets of this game that were both simple yet complex. Can't, so won't.

Second, YPP had an amazing community. The players get partial credit for this as well but I still feel Three Rings deserves most of it. This community was not simply attracted to the excellent game that was created but was allowed to flourish as it did because of the attention that Three Rings gave to the community. Three Rings have tried their utmost to be fair, kind, and open to the players and I really think it showed in how the community initially developed. They laughed with us, played with us, and shed tears with us (I definitely remember tears, as overly dramatic as that sounds). If not for this, I would not have stayed around as long as I did, or, more importantly, had as much fun and good memories.

Thank you.
[Jan 15, 2012 11:38:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

Re: Under a Maudlin Sky

tl;dr
----------------------------------------
Is it rainning?
[Jan 16, 2012 1:30:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Jerk.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Jan 16, 2012 3:54:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

Cheers for the contributions to the game. Enjoy your time on WoW.
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Jan 16, 2012 7:21:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bien

Well, that blew my theory all to pieces...

Thanks for the good memories, Shur.
[Jan 16, 2012 5:13:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

You made the game better, and you shall be missed.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jan 16, 2012 6:08:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Shur once told me my gunning was adequate. It was the highlight of my gunning career.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jan 17, 2012 9:24:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

From a pirate who always had dreams of doing exactly what you did, but who somehow went from Greenie to long forgotten Old Salt who was never actually well known at all - well played.
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Jan 18, 2012 6:00:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Dunno if you're going to be following the thread, I can't imagine you will. It was great playing with, and learning from, you, both of you.

I can't imagine anyone actually believing that Shur wasn't egotistical, if they did, then they didn't have a whole lot of experience with the Shur character :P It might not have shown in every aspect of your play, but there were times when it would shine through just fine. Not necessarily in a bad way, because you weren't a dickhead about it, but it was there.

Anyway, props to putting so much thought behind your character and carrying through with it.

Take care and see you around sir

/maj
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jan 18, 2012 2:30:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=52256
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 20, 2012 9:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Voidrix00

Back to Cobalt!
Voidrix (All oceans)
Captain of Unquenchable Fury and Prince of Universe A .
Owns the largest collection of Guys on Cerulean.
[Jan 20, 2012 5:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I think I have a new entry for your Get to know your neighbour contest, Stephen - Midnighters believe requiring you to post your goodbye in a bulk thread is wrong. :)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 20, 2012 5:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

I think I have a new entry for your Get to know your neighbour contest, Stephen - Midnighters believe requiring you to post your goodbye in a bulk thread is wrong. :)

Honestly, I can't really see this as a goodbye, either. He left approximately 3 years ago. It's too late for goodbyes. This is more like a post-mortem analysis. (You know, at the end of a project when you have a meeting to discuss what worked, what didn't, and what to do differently or the same for next time.) And, for anyone who ever knew Shur, it was certainly worth reading.

I didn't know Shur very well or for very long - some of his best hijinks were well before my time - but what association I did have with him certainly made the game a richer experience for me.

The first time I cracked ult in carp was on a 5-person sloop pillage with him. I was puzzling so freaking hard so as to not embarrass myself and it pushed me just that extra little bit I needed. That trip also marks the highest single payout on a poe per pirate basis that I have ever seen. (We were getting a bit over 5.5k per pirate for some battles!)

The mazes on his larger ships (like the Narcissistic Neried) were really fun. He deliberately set up his ships so you couldn't tell who had what station, just to force his jobbers into lots of station-stealing, at a time before Atlantis when that was a strict no-no, and I remember giggling at the ensuing chaos. Not to mention that if you wanted to get to the bow of his war brig, you HAD to traverse the rooms below decks to get there. So funny to watch people trying to cope with that ship when it was their first time aboard!

I also saw some stunning kindnesses from Shur in private settings... a few rare moments when I got to briefly see a peek behind the role playing. I knew from day one he was playing a role, but it was nice once in a while to see a glimpse behind the curtain, too.

And, the most flattering moment for me in game, ever, was the day Shur stalked me down so he could hit me with a completely unexpected, random hearty request. At the time, my stats didn't look like they do now, so I honestly have no clue exactly how I caught his attention. I'd never even met him at that point, really - I just knew he was one of the more important Midnight pirates who posted to parley a lot, and I considered myself a nobody. So it was a complete surprise, and it was flattering. And even if he never logs in again, that's a hearty I will never, ever remove.
[Jan 20, 2012 6:44:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

I don't know if I even started playing before you quit, but i remember a couple of times trying to convince people that i wasn't an alt of shur.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jan 20, 2012 6:55:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I don't think I was playing yet, but at least wasn't paying attention to the forums, but I remember when Shur held a parrot hostage on Cobalt for rum. All you had to do was trade him a sloop with rum on it and at the end, he'd give it to the person who gave him the most rum. Zero rum was traded in. That's the kind of awesome event that is truly inspiring.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 21, 2012 8:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

Donsmythe wrote: 

The mazes on his larger ships (like the Narcissistic Neried) were really fun. He deliberately set up his ships so you couldn't tell who had what station, just to force his jobbers into lots of station-stealing, at a time before Atlantis when that was a strict no-no, and I remember giggling at the ensuing chaos. Not to mention that if you wanted to get to the bow of his war brig, you HAD to traverse the rooms below decks to get there. So funny to watch people trying to cope with that ship when it was their first time aboard!

He set up a grand frig the same way but I wouldn't let him pillage on it. You're all welcome for that.
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jan 21, 2012 11:10:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mattmartin72

Way too many memories to recall them all but I am glad I got to know you whilst you were around. I learnt a lot gunning for Shur and Kuibbles way back, add in all the blockade fun, an awful lot of which was spent with Shur and you pretty much have the the high points of the game for me.

Fair Winds Shur (and have fun thepersonbehindtheShur doing whatever it is you are now doing)
Napalm
Captain of Die Fish Die

Encaustic art Av by Skullcracker, click for more of Skullys work
[Jan 21, 2012 12:48:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fedorov

why exacty did you quit?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fedorov at Jan 21, 2012 10:10:30 PM]
[Jan 21, 2012 10:07:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Because no one ever really leaves Midnight.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jan 22, 2012 10:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
darkseid

Because no one ever really leaves Midnight.

I've left midnight approximately 6 times, I can never stay away
Darkseid, Cerulean.
Fleet Officer of Under the Black Flag.
[Jan 24, 2012 11:37:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Shur,

I remember once we were talking, and I can't even remember about what, but there was a moment where somehow you and I were both acknowledging we had existence out of the game (which wasn't that unusual for me to do back then [as rare as it may be for people now], but was unheard of for you), and I said something to the effect, "hey you know it's kind of crazy but I don't really think of you as someone who exists beyond this game"

You said, "Good! That's how it should be!"

And I really appreciated that.

I guess even though I am pretty much me in-game, I'm me inside the story that is Midnight ocean. I roleplay with verisimilitude, and I always appreciate that I could just be a character in your story and you one in mine, without anything else being expected, even though I'm telling creative non-fiction and you're writing poetry.

Shuranthae is a legend that lives on, as I whisper the name to doubting greenies who can't believe that it isn't all hyperbole; that their heroes are actually chumps. I suggest that maybe someday as the night is the darkest perhaps that scary clown will sail over the horizon with the sun at his back (even if, logically, I know that this is the part of the legend that is most likely fable).

Anyway, I don't think there is a way that I can really explain just how important you were to Crimson Tide without it being awkward for you (as it is, this is probably already too much), but if I say Thanos, if I say Misery, I have to say Shuranthae.

Thanks for everything!
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jan 25, 2012 2:22:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

The game was clearly better for Shuranthae's presence, both the character and the unnamed individual behind it, in my estimation. Shur was definitely instrumental in some of my most memorable in-game moments. (like the 35-pirate war frigate during one of the Tinga blockades :) )

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=265149#265149

good times.

I've never been that good at the character/player separation--it lasts about until I'm really passionate about something, so I tend to play characters that have a lot in common with me. That said, this game did make it easier to separate in-game and out-of-game events, at least for me, than most do--and part of the reason I was able to do that even to the extent that I was had to do with the quality of the playerbase back in the early days of Midnight. I agree with everything Shur had to say here about how much the people made this game what it was, as well as the thanks to Three Rings.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Jan 25, 2012 3:41:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

My favorite moment with Shur was when we were winning a round at one of the lesser Turtle blockades with him driving a single 8-character WB... right up to the point one of the players had to leave and we lost influence.

Shur was fun to play with and against both. You can't have enough of those people in a game.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jan 25, 2012 4:29:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates