• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 60
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17336 times and has 59 replies Next Thread
Realjuan

Is it time for player mods?

I dont think player mod has been implemented in PP, but many games have them, and I do consider them useful to some extend.

Of course without having the same abilities as a normal bot, but Im sure something like temporary mute (inn spammers, or incorrect use of chat), reference some missbehaviour to a real mod**, unstuck ships on islands (etc) and maybe to be able to send the player a "challenge" to see if he/she is a bot could be some playerMod abilities.

Let consider this 1 mod for 300+ players, many different chats, many possible offenses (not many serious), etc, is not a great an easy job.

Player mod will NOT be pay, will not be many (maybe a handfull) and will free mod time for other important task.

Right now I dont think mod have the time to ban and/or to make sure they are banning the right person.

**yes, /complain works but im sure a higher priority complain will be useful.

Just throwing that out, and why I right it in sage....cause i only care about sage, sage's opinion and such. If you feel this should go on different chat feel free to copy and paste it there. I am personally interested in sage opinion.

note: NO i wouldnt be a good player mod, and even if asked I wouldNT take it
----------------------------------------
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Jan 11, 2012 8:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

Re: Is it time for player mods?

I dont think player mod has been implemented in PP, but many games have them, and I do consider them useful to some extend.

Of course without having the same abilities as a normal bot, but Im sure something like temporary mute (inn spammers, or incorrect use of chat), reference some missbehaviour to a real mod**, unstuck ships on islands (etc) and maybe to be able to send the player a "challenge" to see if he/she is a bot could be some playerMod abilities.

Let consider this 1 mod for 300+ players, many different chats, many possible offenses (not many serious), etc, is not a great an easy job.

Player mod will NOT be pay, will not be many (maybe a handfull) and will free mod time for other important task.

Right now I dont think mod have the time to ban and/or to make sure they are banning the right person.

**yes, /complain works but im sure a higher priority complain will be useful.

Just throwing that out, and why I right it in sage....cause i only care about sage, sage's opinion and such. If you feel this should go on different chat feel free to copy and paste it there. I am personally interested in sage opinion.

note: NO i wouldnt be a good player mod, and even if asked I wouldNT take it

Which player who currently plays could be trusted with something like this?

Anyway we don't need player mods, we need the player base the chill out. They whine and moan constantly about trivial things that don't affect them and expect more from the OM's than is feasible.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by teabagbill at Jan 11, 2012 8:39:45 AM]
[Jan 11, 2012 8:37:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Realjuan

Right now I could think of one, which is not much, but I dont use pp as a "social" game I am sure that other people could think of more than one.

I will ask her, if its okay for me to state her name here and then I will post it.
Latinboy
"Ten cuidado con el pirate del caribe, vamo' a ve' si tu tienes calibre" Daddy Yankee

"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau
[Jan 11, 2012 8:48:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

OOO once had a secret group of specially selected players who volunteered to handle a crucial task. That didn't go over so well. I don't anticipate that this idea, which is a much greater extension of the old one, would work either.
[Jan 11, 2012 9:10:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zava

OOO once had a secret group of specially selected players who volunteered to handle a crucial task. That didn't go over so well. I don't anticipate that this idea, which is a much greater extension of the old one, would work either.

It failed because the system required existing greeters to reccommend/vote on new ones. Worked great on midnight, not very well on viridian and getting new greeters on sage was absurdly hard.

That said, this is unnessecary. OMs are already chosen from the playerbase. Most players in good standing already have the ability to temp mute. Whats the underlying issue you are trying to solve?
Zava, Obsidian & Sage.
Vodoodude tells ye, "wow yer a life saver"
[Jan 11, 2012 9:55:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZavaIsALifesaver/ [Link]  Go to top 
helppr

/gamedesign
Captainben wrote: 
Sorry I haven't been involved in this forum debate, but after reading it I really wonder what has happened to this world's literacy. Governments spend billions on education and this is what it produces.

[Jan 11, 2012 2:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

TBB Wrote:

They whine and moan constantly about trivial things that don't affect them

You don't play anymore right? Yet your description of others on the forums fits you quite well over the past year.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Simply Vuran these days
[Jan 16, 2012 8:00:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

TBB Wrote:

You don't play anymore right? Yet your description of others on the forums fits you quite well over the past year.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Eh... what? Heavy weird.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Jan 16, 2012 8:08:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

TBB Wrote:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Eh... what? Heavy weird.

TBB this isnt like you, You usually respond with a better pic.
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[Jan 16, 2012 9:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

TBB Wrote:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Eh... what? Heavy weird.

Yeah man, I even get PM's asking where I find all of my awesome pics. Vuran failed.

By the way, thanks again for that copy of Skyrim you gifted me on Steam for kicking CBB from vent to save you PoE. I am enjoying the game very much.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by teabagbill at Jan 16, 2012 9:11:48 AM]
[Jan 16, 2012 9:10:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

TBB Wrote:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Eh... what? Heavy weird.

Yeah man, I even get PM's asking where I find all of my awesome pics. Vuran failed.

Ahaha.
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[Jan 16, 2012 9:12:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

By the way, thanks again for that copy of Skyrim you gifted me on Steam for kicking CBB from vent to save you PoE. I am enjoying the game very much.

MC MundanCe, SPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by teabagbill at Jan 16, 2012 9:14:11 AM]
[Jan 16, 2012 9:13:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

TBB can google search better than me. Of course im jelly.

Simply Vuran these days
[Jan 16, 2012 11:14:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

TBB can google search better than me. Of course im jelly.

That's ok, I'm sure you are good at other stuff.

Do you want to see my Aion character use emotes to dance to Chingy? It's a very lifting movie. Might make you feel better.

In seriousness, the reason I responded the way I did was your attempt at trolling me was pretty retarded. You suck at that about as much as you do at PP.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Edit 4 times, last edit by teabagbill at Jan 16, 2012 11:29:22 AM]
[Jan 16, 2012 11:25:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

Lets clear this up once and for all. Just because people aren't as good at puzzling doesn't mean they "suck" at pp. They just aren't as good as you. For christ's sake, I have a few number ones and ults and am decent at pretty much every puzzle save dnav. Many people would say I am very good. I know I would never touch you on puzzling, but I get what I want out of the game, associate with people I enjoy hanging out with, and have a grand time when I am on. For the last time, just because people aren't in the top 5 all time in a respective puzzle DOESN'T mean they are bad at this game. You need to get your condescending head out of your ass because at the end of the day, you are just a retired player who has skewed ideas about this game and what it takes to play it successfully. You can post a bunch of pics on the forums and claim everyone else is mad and jelly,but people take you with a grain of salt- you have no influence on our gameplay.

You may be able to do this:

but im still not jelly.
Simply Vuran these days
[Jan 16, 2012 11:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

Lets clear this up once and for all. Just because people aren't as good at puzzling doesn't mean they "suck" at pp. They just aren't as good as you. For christ's sake, I have a few number ones and ults and am decent at pretty much every puzzle save dnav. Many people would say I am very good. I know I would never touch you on puzzling, but I get what I want out of the game, associate with people I enjoy hanging out with, and have a grand time when I am on. For the last time, just because people aren't in the top 5 all time in a respective puzzle DOESN'T mean they are bad at this game. You need to get your condescending head out of your ass because at the end of the day, you are just a retired player who has skewed ideas about this game and what it takes to play it successfully. You can post a bunch of pics on the forums and claim everyone else is mad and jelly,but people take you with a grain of salt- you have no influence on our gameplay.

You may be able to do this:

but im still not jelly.

You might not be jelly, but you are certainly mad. I mean, it's really interesting that you enjoy playing and have fun and all the rest of the nonsense you just responded with but you should maybe relax a little.

Anyway, you attempted to troll me, failed and ended up getting really really angry.

TBB 1 - 0 Vuran

MC MundanCe, SPC
[Jan 16, 2012 12:17:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

No, Im not angry at all. Its just incredulous that you continue to keep spewing the same nonsense all over the place while failing to address issues that are actually important. For example your misconceptions about almost every member of the ypp community. But I guess if you didn't understand it before you won't get it now...

Simply Vuran these days
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aconspiracy at Jan 16, 2012 12:35:00 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 12:33:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

Your previous post says otherwise.

I fail to address issues? Dude, we aren't running a country here. This is a public forum for a game.

I don't have misconceptions about the pp community, you are merely deluded, grasping at straws trying to backpeddle and have a point.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by teabagbill at Jan 16, 2012 1:02:31 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 12:59:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

TBB is actually right here. Backstep V-Man.
Bunnyspawn, prince of Coherent Insanity on Meridian.

Jdilla's wench on Emerald.
[Jan 16, 2012 1:10:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
helppr

TBB is actually right here. Backstep V-Man.

Captainben wrote: 
Sorry I haven't been involved in this forum debate, but after reading it I really wonder what has happened to this world's literacy. Governments spend billions on education and this is what it produces.

[Jan 16, 2012 1:27:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thisis50

ya he rite
[Jan 16, 2012 1:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

I fail to address issues? Dude, we aren't running a country here. This is a public forum for a game.

I don't have misconceptions about the pp community, you are merely deluded, grasping at straws trying to backpeddle and have a point.

No, you misinterpret my post as me me being mad when in reality I am trying to show how your view of "all pirates besides supperpuzzlers suck at this game" is misconstrued. I am not backpedaling, I have said this in another thread to you before and have received the same childish "you mad, you jelly, I win" responses from you TBB.
Simply Vuran these days
[Jan 16, 2012 1:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

No, you misinterpret my post as me me being mad when in reality I am trying to show how your view of "all pirates besides supperpuzzlers suck at this game" is misconstrued. I am not backpedaling, I have said this in another thread to you before and have received the same childish "you mad, you jelly, I win" responses from you TBB.

You are talking about my stanse and yet you don't seem to actually understand it.

While I do not think that anyone qualifies as an exceptional puzzler except Epo, Geologist and Tzz, the fact that I say the ability has left the game is a much broader subject. It's also an opinion.

When people like Dalnoth, Shodan and Novo played, the skill level in this game was huge. About two years ago all of these players progresively stopped playing and there was no one who was even nearly as good as them left to pick up the reins. You have all of the best puzzlers pretty much stopping playing and all of the best blockaders pretty much stopping playing. Tell me, who is as good as they were that now plays?

A perfect example is treasure drop. I look at the number one lists at the moment and the people who are at the top of them were high legendary/ low ult a year ago. It's not an increase of their skill because some of them have ridiculously high experience, rather a decrease in the number of players who were actually good. Sean quit, Emma quit, Stroy quit, Peter quit, Goldy quit, welshy was banned and cloned quit. 7 players quit, 8 including myself and now there is literally no one good left. I could log on tomorrow and 10-0 every single person who is #1 at the moment. Every other puzzle and aspect of the game is exactly the same. Tzz and Geo are merely the exception.

It's an inevitable occurance anyway. The playerbase in numbers has declined massively resulting in less skilled players. When people like Kyubi and Reeves are considered good blockaders, surely you realise something must have gotten screwed up?
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Jan 16, 2012 4:44:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Mik1306

The grass is always greener on the other side, or in this case the past. I suspect your suffering from nostalgia to be honest.

whereas there will be less "skilled" players as theres less...players... the general level of "skill" will probably be around the same, but theres less names you can put to it. While theres less really good people theres also less not so good people.

incidentally i often put the term "skill" in quotes in this kind of discussion because i find it to be a somewhat odd term, often used for overall puzzling ability which incorporates a number of sub-categories.
- Pheonixb
- currently so in tales from the deep and royal in jigsaw Tesselators

E pur si muove
[Jan 16, 2012 4:57:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

The grass is always greener on the other side, or in this case the past. I suspect your suffering from nostalgia to be honest.

whereas there will be less "skilled" players as theres less...players... the general level of "skill" will probably be around the same, but theres less names you can put to it. While theres less really good people theres also less not so good people.

incidentally i often put the term "skill" in quotes in this kind of discussion because i find it to be a somewhat odd term, often used for overall puzzling ability which incorporates a number of sub-categories.

Well yeah, obviously the average skill level is going to remain fairly constant. Average was never really an interest to me though.

I know for a fact that TD skill level has plummeted and unless the people who I'm hearing are currently at the top in other things have all improved drastically in the last 6 months I'm not suffering from nostalgia. If they haven't I'm completely accurate.

I think the possible reason for skill being lower is older players not being as in touch with the new generation as they used to be, so no knowledge is passed over. Certainly me and my friends no longer share anything, which would have been useful for those who still play. The last thing I released was hyper ranking and after everyone on the planet started getting stats they shouldn't have, I decided to stop being free with knowledge. I know that sounds kind of ridiculous but from my experiences of learning to puzzle, it's always easier to have players who can teach you as opposed to learning everything yourself.

A perfect example is Elbee. I once spent days talking to him solely about Alchemistry scoring when he was new to Sage and we both learned things, whereas I no longer do that kind of thing and I don't think anyone does.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Jan 16, 2012 5:34:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
Mik1306

Your not referring to average "skill" but your referring to "skill level". Im curious you mean like the "skill cap" (i think thats the term) ?

And if you think thats a problem perhaps there is something which can be done about it. An event or something such.
- Pheonixb
- currently so in tales from the deep and royal in jigsaw Tesselators

E pur si muove
[Jan 16, 2012 5:40:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
teabagbill

Your not referring to average "skill" but your referring to "skill level". Im curious you mean like the "skill cap" (i think thats the term) ?

And if you think thats a problem perhaps there is something which can be done about it. An event or something such.

Yeah, the people who are at the top end are a lot worse than a year ago.
MC MundanCe, SPC
[Jan 16, 2012 5:47:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scientology.org/?source=ga&gclid=CID0w4vCk58CFSBk4wodgzD7JQ [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I wouldn't trust anyone in this thread with mod powers or responsibilities.

EDIT: Yes, including me.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at Jan 16, 2012 6:02:28 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 6:02:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aconspiracy

You are talking about my stanse and yet you don't seem to actually understand it.

While I do not think that anyone qualifies as an exceptional puzzler except Epo, Geologist and Tzz, the fact that I say the ability has left the game is a much broader subject. It's also an opinion.

When people like Dalnoth, Shodan and Novo played, the skill level in this game was huge. About two years ago all of these players progresively stopped playing and there was no one who was even nearly as good as them left to pick up the reins. You have all of the best puzzlers pretty much stopping playing and all of the best blockaders pretty much stopping playing. Tell me, who is as good as they were that now plays?

A perfect example is treasure drop. I look at the number one lists at the moment and the people who are at the top of them were high legendary/ low ult a year ago. It's not an increase of their skill because some of them have ridiculously high experience, rather a decrease in the number of players who were actually good. Sean quit, Emma quit, Stroy quit, Peter quit, Goldy quit, welshy was banned and cloned quit. 7 players quit, 8 including myself and now there is literally no one good left. I could log on tomorrow and 10-0 every single person who is #1 at the moment. Every other puzzle and aspect of the game is exactly the same. Tzz and Geo are merely the exception.

It's an inevitable occurance anyway. The playerbase in numbers has declined massively resulting in less skilled players. When people like Kyubi and Reeves are considered good blockaders, surely you realise something must have gotten screwed up?

Thank you TBB. Everything you said here is legitimate, true, and thoughtful. I agree with that above quote.

But there is a huge difference in ^^that, and "everyone else sucks now", which is what you have said many times before and what I take issue with. I don't dispute you on the above, I agree. New players aren't as good as old players (in general): for example, I have been playing for 5 years but I couldn't get number ones until recently- that says something. However, "players today aren't good" just isn't true. The top shelf isn't set as high as it used to be, but the mids and lows are just the same and the current elite surely would have been considered solid to excellent players back in the day- ones that were consistently ult and were well respected. I'm glad we have this clarification aside now because we actually agree on many levels.

On another note, just out of curiosity, lets do a 10lp bilge off tomorrow (first lp does not count). I have never puzzled against you before, and would like to see if you could actually beat me 10 times straight while being rusty, or if I can get lucky a lp or two. No wager, because you don'y need the poe and I don't have it.
Simply Vuran these days
[Jan 16, 2012 6:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
helppr

I am a better puzzler than all of you, ever. Do not deny it. I have Greg Greve's swordfighting abilities.
Captainben wrote: 

[Jan 16, 2012 7:24:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates