• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33897 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
BobJanova

Re: On behalf of SmD Royals

It's not 'your' island once the choices you make are permanent. So you can run the palace as badly as you like and that's your choice, but building placement and dropping of shoppes are issues that the ocean parley is there for. Blockading can't solve issues with buildings that don't transfer with a win.
----------------------------------------
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jan 11, 2012 1:27:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

But it is your island in the effect that you can drop what you want where you want.

It is something that others may have a problem with but really its beyond their jurisdiction and they can only offer their opinion on what has been done (or is to be done).
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

~ Avatar made by Brittaney
[Jan 11, 2012 1:39:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

Why don't we all practice Kamuflaro's utopist ideals? Capitalism is for babies.
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Jan 11, 2012 2:27:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

Everyone get's a small piece of each island, and enough food rations to feed a small child. And a cell phone.
Bunnyspawn, prince of Coherent Insanity on Meridian.

Jdilla's wench on Emerald.
[Jan 11, 2012 3:41:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Everyone get's a small piece of each island, and enough food rations to feed a small child. And a cell phone.

I call the nicest piece.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Jan 11, 2012 4:32:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Doulber

I call the nicest piece.

In response to Bunny's post, everyone gets 1/10th of a cell phone. Also to Ions, everyone must live on the beach while the original Royals from Utopia can have the rest.
Official spokesman of Ade446.
Barnabas the Pale tells ye, "You made me literally laugh out loud."

-The D: Retired.

[Jan 11, 2012 5:05:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

I vote we build our shelter on a tiny island next to our island.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 11, 2012 5:32:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

I vote we build our shelter on a tiny island next to our island.

Then we build an underground com center than runs on an electrical generator. Then in a year or so, a plane crash can ensue, which will be followed by multiple plot holes, as well as obviously terrible scriptwriting that doesn't even relate to the plot holes.

[Jan 11, 2012 5:53:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Capitalism is a system based off competition, and competition is ultimately good for the society as a whole. It is what made the States a great country by allowing rapid economic expansion. Capitalism is strongest where regulation is the least. You don't wanna end up like Canada

Yes this is true to an extent. Strongest for who? Please check out the Industrial Revolution in the United States. Many many dirt poor people working in appalling conditions so Rockefeller can say instead of having $50 million at the time he has $100 million? Capitalism almost ceases to exist when left to run unchecked. Why? Because a few companies become so big and powerful they run everything. You want your heating? Call Standard Oil. Water? Standard Oil will get you it.

What is that? Your going to try to start up a competitive company? Well look here, either we buy you out for a dirt cheap price or my boys are going to come break your legs and throw you in the river.

Competition is not like it is made out to be. Competition most of the time has to deal with whoever starts out with the most toys. Why is Oprah such a shocking story? Because rising from the bottom to the top is extremely rare. You may say, well if there is competition you work your way to the top by selling a better and lower cost product. Most of the time, this is completely wrong. A lot of the time it has to do with who is willing to be the biggest prick and exploit the most people.
Captainrich
[Jan 11, 2012 8:19:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Sherman Anti-Trust ftw!

Edit: And now, since TR was a Trust-Buster, here is a great picture.

Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by atoms12123 at Jan 11, 2012 8:59:12 PM]
[Jan 11, 2012 8:57:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

The problem is largely the fact that people mostly job for flags due to poe and have a little understanding of who the flag actually is and what they actually stand for.
Maybe that's because what people do to the island doesn't affect the majority of the population in any way. I don't approve of trashing an island, but to be honest, the bulk of the jobbers don't care at all.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Jan 11, 2012 9:02:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

The only outcries I've ever seen regarding Islands, (That did not involve solely elitist members of Parley) were when a flag dropped a multitude of shoppes on an island. And even then, taking the island away before a flag can continue such practices can be quite difficult, as individual monetary wealth tends to take priority to the average pirate's mind. And as we all know, when it comes to cades, it's usually decided by the jobber number factor in the long run.

[Jan 11, 2012 9:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The problem is largely the fact that people mostly job for flags due to poe and have a little understanding of who the flag actually is and what they actually stand for.
Maybe that's because what people do to the island doesn't affect the majority of the population in any way. I don't approve of trashing an island, but to be honest, the bulk of the jobbers don't care at all.

What furniture you have in a shoppe does not matter, what you build on an island does. The buildings you place are what the ocean is stuck using; if the ocean does not care enough to use them, you probably did a bad job.
Emmett
[Edit 1 times, last edit by monstersoda at Jan 11, 2012 9:27:12 PM]
[Jan 11, 2012 9:26:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

What furniture you have in a shoppe does not matter, what you build on an island does. The buildings you place are what the ocean is stuck using; if the ocean does not care enough to use them, you probably did a bad job.

By trashing, i meant building 'bad' buildings.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Jan 11, 2012 10:33:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

You know, Anarchy is the answer to all your problems....well actually no it isn't but could be a lot more fun than reading these posts. I honestly have to say, despite there being good points from either side, I think my bank statement is probably more interesting. Last time I checked, pirates weren't known for their intelligent diplomatic discourse either.

Take the hint :D Cade nao! Kkthxbai
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Jan 12, 2012 12:28:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Bull Moose Party ftw.
Captainrich
[Jan 12, 2012 2:39:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

Bull Moose Party ftw.

[Jan 12, 2012 5:21:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Well, I'm not going to get too involved in the capitalism debate, but how's Argentina doing these days?

Corruption seems to be high, but good other than that on the 1st glance. Germany is fairing better, sometimes I even get the feeling the east is living better than the west :D

i seem to be late :P havent been around much. i heard my country so i got curious :D
The word "seems" is incorrect there :D it IS high :P
Yumisa World Wide ;)
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Jan 12, 2012 8:46:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

I only watched one episode of Lost, I think it was from the early seasons and there was a polar bear in it. A polar bear. In the middle of a freaking rainforest. I've traipsed through rainforests before, I didn't see a polar bear. I did see some elephants and a snake though. :D (Well, not :D because the snake was on a branch above my head.)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that it's disheartening to the Average Joe or Jane when the island they chose to live on is being run by people who won't listen to them. Sure enough, they're not spending the millions every weekend blockading it, however, they're the ones who are making the island function by living and having a business there. Telling them to just go to a Ringer controlled island just forces the player population to a few islands which is hardly beneficial to the rest of the ocean.

I've always stood by the view that I'm playing the game for myself and I shouldn't let anyone dictate my gameplay and I don't see why that shouldn't apply to other people especially when a simple, "Shut up or blockade" won't fix certain issues that have an affect on one's gaming experience.
Anchovia
[Jan 13, 2012 3:58:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

So every other person that lives on the island should have a greater say over the player that invest the time and money into attaining it?

Yes you are playing the game for yourself and so are many others, that is why you may find it difficult to get them to listen, imagine somebody else was trying to dictate how you was running your island?
If you refuse t have somebody else to dictate your gameplay (I.e your taxes and how your home island looks) then an OM island is your only real choice, a player island with change & that could be via player control or BK control.

I think that if a greenie spawned on Malachite that Salstraum Rock would be the best place for them to see first as it contained the most social (lol) activity that you could easily find on the ocean, aside from on a pillage that is.

And to wrap it up, if you think islands are being run poorly just you guys wait for the merge.. baha.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 13, 2012 8:15:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Island owners have a responsibility, and Ringer owned islands do not excuse them from this.
Emmett
[Jan 13, 2012 10:18:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

So every other person that lives on the island should have a greater say over the player that invest the time and money into attaining it?
Did I say they should have a greater say? No, I did not. I said they should have some say, or at least be heard, by the people who govern the island. As Emmett said, island owners have a responsibility. Like I said earlier, you'll be committing political suicide if you don't.
Anchovia
[Jan 13, 2012 10:37:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

Island owners have a responsibility, and Ringer owned islands do not excuse them from this.

The responsibility is there, you are under no obligation to take it.
The Ringer islands are not there for the other players that govern, rather those of the population that do not wish to submit their buisinesses to the whim of others (or the Brigand Kings).

Did I say they should have a greater say? No, I did not. I said they should have some say, or at least be heard, by the people who govern the island. As Emmett said, island owners have a responsibility. Like I said earlier, you'll be committing political suicide if you don't

I covered responsibility above.
Oh I'm sure people are more often than not heard but often when people are heard they like somebody to listen, not always the case in pirates (or sadly reality).

I don't particularly agree on pirate "politics" but I guess you can call it that if other people are funding your island activities.
It is not something that is a requirement to owning islands.

I'd like to see a tyrant blockade islands with the intent of running them into the ground, mabye then people will stop and look at the crew before the PoE value on the notice board, mabye then your average jobber might care about "politics" and see the potential that the puzzle pirate system could hold..

I don't mean to offend but such views lead me to think that some of us live in bubbles, there is good and bad ways of doing things but neither is right or wrong, it simply is their own way of handling their property.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 13, 2012 11:02:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Bad and wrong are rather synonymous, just as good and right are.
Emmett
[Jan 13, 2012 10:09:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

Bad and wrong are rather synonymous, just as good and right are.

They are indeed. :]

I'd be brave enough to say that good and bad are also, it is subject to an individuals interpretation and rarely are those views always the same.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 14, 2012 10:14:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

subject to an individuals interpretation

Good is right and bad is wrong. There is no getting around that.

You could say that a pineapple is a reptile, but that also would be incorrect.
Emmett
[Jan 14, 2012 11:09:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tangosueno

subject to an individuals interpretation

Good is right and bad is wrong. There is no getting around that.

You could say that a pineapple is a reptile, but that also would be incorrect.

What he means is, what is bad in your eyes, might not be bad in someone elses. Same with the good part.
Not everything is black and white.
Tangosueno in the Meridian~~
Gallo says, "I barely ever have to move it myself anymore"

[Jan 14, 2012 11:12:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Will SMD be doing what they think is good then? Or will we continue to ignore these problems until Viridian takes care of them for us, for better or worse?
Emmett
[Jan 14, 2012 11:30:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tangosueno

Will SMD be doing what they think is good then? Or will we continue to ignore these problems until Viridian takes care of them for us, for better or worse?

You want results done now. I get that. But you don't know what goes on in their personal lives and I know they're going through a tough time right now. Their real lives come before this game.
Tangosueno in the Meridian~~
Gallo says, "I barely ever have to move it myself anymore"

[Jan 14, 2012 12:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

Tangosueno hit the nail on the head there.

When Viridian hits I predict most islands will be under fire.

I only see one problem but it is not huge to be frank, two Ironmongers, considering this shoppe can already produce items that stalls can (as far as I am aware), unlike a shipyard that allows you to produce larger ships than a stall and thus has a greater benefit than building a bazaar. It makes the IM pretty much redundant and a waste of space, the value of every shoppe will also crash thanks to the small citys that Viridians Large islands have become, so something else would be useful.

Really I can still look at that island however and appreciate that what has been done is in reality a good job, government buildings are always in an abundance and to be frank its a luxury for players that comes out of the flags own pocket, since I have come to Malachite Nightshade is and always will be my home island and in comparison to the other flags that have come and gone the flag SMD and its pirates have all done a very good job.

To be honest I'd rather see us working together rather than critisize eachother, when Viridian comes I'd like to see what I believe to be a small and strong community still thrive instead of being at eachothers throats for pointless disagreements.

As you can see I'm slightly upset with the merge, if I wanted to play on an ocean full of players then I would not have moved to Malachite in the first place, it was nice having certain things as a rarity in comparison to other oceans, slowly working our way towards one day perhaps gaining our own large island and so on.
I can easily think of better ways of solving the poor jobber solution and a merge would not have been on the top of my list.

Just adding some of my solutions because I can, Bots that you can job who have a set pay per league/time, merge parlour games so that all pirates can compete against others reguardless of the ocean you reside on (this would have also been a great alternate to balancing dubloon prices as pirates would have came to malachite earlier last year due to the dubloon/PoE rate).

I have others, sorry to veer a little off direction there lol, yes it is quite upsetting(for me at least), I'll be moving back onto the blue oceans as the community over there will likely retain some of what I enjoyed(but they still wont be the people I have come to like over here!), I'll still be back here often however, of course :-].
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 14, 2012 12:29:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates