• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36845 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
monstersoda

Re: On behalf of SmD Royals

I'm sure it's been told to you time and time again Emmett, but economics is a tricky craft. There are reasons why top economists don't agree. And no, it's not because of petty arguments against other's character.

I don't mind if they did something that I did not agree with, but they should at least do something. They need to promote the island and make it strong before the merge, unless they prefer it to be a complete dump overran by Viridian stall owners, whom see it as an easy opportunity, considering that there are only two tailors to compete with (barely), one furnisher (barely), and only one IM stall selling shot at prices that are not a rip-off to voyagers.

Make the island strong, don't wait until it is too late. Inaction is far more destructive than poor action with good intentions.
----------------------------------------
Emmett
[Edit 1 times, last edit by monstersoda at Jan 7, 2012 11:12:10 AM]
[Jan 7, 2012 11:09:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

To be honest, their island, their choice. If you don't like it you get a whole new ocean to go to, I'm sure they'll have something you enjoy. If you don't like what they do with their island, take it from them in a cade, otherwise, shut up. Seriously.
Inum

Castor says, "No, no! You don't know the secret doohickeys!"
Castor says, "You'll blow up the server!"

Galene says, "I'll trade it to Inum, she can sort it out later! :D"

[Jan 7, 2012 5:04:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jedra

I'm sorry Emmett... but as I tried to get our in my last post.... I really don't understand what it is that you think we are NOT doing.

We are very deliberately NOT undercutting stalls on the island because we want people to be able to make POE if they open one up - as far as we're concerned, the palace is for putting a cap in place and making sure stuff is available no matter what.

What is it that you think we are not doing? I notice despite me asking (and I am genuinely ASKING what it is you are wanting here not just re-trolling) you haven't really said any specific concern you have with our management.

I'll admit - we haven't been as active in island management as we could be. Why? Well it has been Christmas and we all have lives... that's why OOO stops cades for a period, you know?

Even so, the IM is really the only thing I can imagine anyone having any beef over in terms of our island management. Yes, FINE rum prices are a little high (hey: we made a furnisher on the request of the ocean which people can sell rum from... something which hurts us an an island owner). But I don't think they are unreasonable given the current state of the ocean. We're happy to give a fair price. Do you think we should intenitionally just bend over and sell commodities at a loss?

If you have a real problem with any specific thing we are doing, please.... SAY SO. I can't promise we will take your advice - often, we may well disagree with what you think is the correct course of action. All I can promise is that whatever you say we will treat seriously and take into account for our future decisions. Whether we agree or not depends on your ARGUMENTS for your position not just your stating that you disagree with what we have done.

Ps.

Apolgies if I have been antagonistic in this post. I blame the fact that I iz wel pisd blud.
Kaine, the Dreamer

Former King of Sick Man's Dream
Former Royal of Fill in the Blank
Former Royal of Utopia

Former Captain (any every rank below) of Wicked

Current drunken bum who occasionally posts when he's bored.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jedra at Jan 7, 2012 5:41:29 PM]
[Jan 7, 2012 5:37:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The point of having more than one governor on an ocean is trying new things. I ran Drogeo in a certain way, and now it is time for SMD to do something with a medium island too.

My problem, coming from the view point of a stall owner, is that I don't see what SMD is doing. Or to put it in a better way, I'm not affected by it. Your job as a ruler of an island is to do something, be it moving in stock to ensure stalls have a supply (I've already received a complaint about a wood shortage, and I'm not even managing the island) to supporting stalls by buying the stock they do produce (As I'm sure you still have a war fleet to supply).

While I agree that a palace should not compete with stalls, you still have to think about voyagers. Some stall owners feel that no matter how high prices are, people will still buy from them if all the stalls sell at that price. This is not the case. In this situation, the palace either needs to force stock prices down by competing with stalls until prices are realistic, or provide stalls with stock in order to lower their margins, letting them price down naturally. Yes, supply and demand is ideal, but humans are not fully efficient.

SMD should also be promoting the mansion they were so eager to build, and ensure that the furnishers are selling furniture for them. There is no point having these structures if the ocean is not aware (There are people that do not know what Gila is).

Make your greenie spawn a greenie spawn. Use alts and home them at the island and promote visits to the island (Events! Giveaways! Stall rebate program for making a new stall! Voyages that deport and port at Acanthaster Spits!) and reach 250 pirates so you can start spawning greenies.

Lastly, use your IM for good. Yeah, it is there, I hate it, others hate it, but slap me in the face by using it for something productive. Provide pillagers some cheap stock, get some new pirates swords, use it to explain shoppe management, build stock supplies for a back up if the island runs dry.)

Be imaginative governors. Yes, people won't always agree, but you need to show people that you don't just sit around. We all have a life, but someone in your flag has time, and if no one does, you probably should not have an island, let alone three, anyway.

There is a reason why municipalities pay so much for promotions. Business comes if people come, and at the moment, people are not coming.

Be bold.
Emmett
[Jan 7, 2012 8:59:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

The point of having more than one governor on an ocean is trying new things. I ran Drogeo in a certain way, and now it is time for SMD to do something with a medium island too.

My problem, coming from the view point of a stall owner, is that I don't see what SMD is doing. Or to put it in a better way, I'm not affected by it. Your job as a ruler of an island is to do something, be it moving in stock to ensure stalls have a supply (I've already received a complaint about a wood shortage, and I'm not even managing the island) to supporting stalls by buying the stock they do produce (As I'm sure you still have a war fleet to supply).

While I agree that a palace should not compete with stalls, you still have to think about voyagers. Some stall owners feel that no matter how high prices are, people will still buy from them if all the stalls sell at that price. This is not the case. In this situation, the palace either needs to force stock prices down by competing with stalls until prices are realistic, or provide stalls with stock in order to lower their margins, letting them price down naturally. Yes, supply and demand is ideal, but humans are not fully efficient.

SMD should also be promoting the mansion they were so eager to build, and ensure that the furnishers are selling furniture for them. There is no point having these structures if the ocean is not aware (There are people that do not know what Gila is).

Make your greenie spawn a greenie spawn. Use alts and home them at the island and promote visits to the island (Events! Giveaways! Stall rebate program for making a new stall! Voyages that deport and port at Acanthaster Spits!) and reach 250 pirates so you can start spawning greenies.

Lastly, use your IM for good. Yeah, it is there, I hate it, others hate it, but slap me in the face by using it for something productive. Provide pillagers some cheap stock, get some new pirates swords, use it to explain shoppe management, build stock supplies for a back up if the island runs dry.)

Be imaginative governors. Yes, people won't always agree, but you need to show people that you don't just sit around. We all have a life, but someone in your flag has time, and if no one does, you probably should not have an island, let alone three, anyway.

There is a reason why municipalities pay so much for promotions. Business comes if people come, and at the moment, people are not coming.

Be bold.

^This. Please, always make posts like this. I would be highly surprised if SMD did not make any serious thoughts or changes to their current plan thanks to this post.
Bunnyspawn, prince of Coherent Insanity on Meridian.

Jdilla's wench on Emerald.
[Jan 7, 2012 9:17:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Amazing things happen when you take your crown off. Quite a good feeling.
Emmett
[Jan 7, 2012 9:25:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

So, now that it seems that Acanthaster is on the complete opposite side of Meridian from the connection, can the IM be replaced? Might as well allow people who want a cottage, or a small house be able to buy one in Mala.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Jan 9, 2012 7:58:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Tangosueno

So, now that it seems that Acanthaster is on the complete opposite side of Meridian from the connection, can the IM be replaced? Might as well allow people who want a cottage, or a small house be able to buy one in Mala.

Yes, the IM can be dusted.
Tangosueno in the Meridian~~
Gallo says, "I barely ever have to move it myself anymore"

[Jan 9, 2012 8:05:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

To be frank, you can govern your island how you want, there is no right or wrong way.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

~ Avatar made by Brittaney
[Jan 10, 2012 10:09:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

IMO, flags who govern islands and only take their own view into consideration are selfish. Other people visit and utilise the island, it is they who should be happy with the island.
Anchovia
[Jan 10, 2012 12:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

IMO, flags who govern islands and only take their own view into consideration are selfish. Other people visit and utilise the island, it is they who should be happy with the island.

If a flag blockades islands with the sole intention of running them in to the ground, dusting every prop and repainting everything in an ugly colour, is that selfish?

For all intents and purposes it could be the only reason they would play.

It does not ruin the game for you, there are islands that are GM owned and are a secure and are a unchanging enviroment, you take a gamble when you move onto somebody elses land or something that is contestable.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 10, 2012 12:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

To be frank, you can govern your island how you want, there is no right or wrong way.

I'm sorry, but I spit out my root beer when I read that.

I connect the feeling to buying a county fair corn-dog on the last day of the fair, and being sold the last, rewarmed for seven days corn-dog that may or may not have been dropped on the ground seven times.

So silly.

Considering that SMD's IM shoppe is now competing with stalls for wood and iron, it is clear that they remain either ignorant of how an island works or simply do not care. Also keep in mind that this was the only change made to the island, with no hint of anything else coming. Even the minor task of editing the island news to reflect the changed build plan (or anything else moving forward) is too much for a flag of over a hundred members.

But you are right. It is "their" island, and it is to be assumed that their choices have no effect on others, simply because it is "theirs."

Right?
Emmett
[Jan 10, 2012 12:54:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

I'm sorry, but I spit out my root beer when I read that.

I connect the feeling to buying a county fair corn-dog on the last day of the fair, and being sold the last, rewarmed for seven days corn-dog that may or may not have been dropped on the ground seven times.

So silly.

Considering that SMD's IM shoppe is now competing with stalls for wood and iron, it is clear that they remain either ignorant of how an island works or simply do not care. Also keep in mind that this was the only change made to the island, with no hint of anything else coming. Even the minor task of editing the island news to reflect the changed build plan (or anything else moving forward) is too much for a flag of over a hundred members.

But you are right. It is "their" island, and it is to be assumed that their choices have no effect on others, simply because it is "theirs."

Right?

Then you don't submit yourself to such a bad bargain.

I can think of more than one way around your problem and to be short I'm sure you can as well, if you need me to be more informant then just ask.

It is "their" island for now, their choices will of course have an effect on others, because they subject themselves to their choices, if other people hang about then the repercussions of their government can't be so bad to drive them away (Or mabye they hope a new government will be installed soon).

And I'm not suggesting that they are beyond reasoning either but try to picture somebody coming into your bedroom and telling you what to do with your space (unless its your wife then you can guess what I'm going to say!).
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 10, 2012 1:37:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Having govenorship of an island does not give a flag the right to scrap decency.

An island is public property, if we are honest with ourselves here, and running the island is akin to being a governor of a state. Your job is only in your hands due to the support you mustered (from pay or otherwise), not solely from your own personal ability. These people, along with those that fought against you, use this public space that you run. Being destructive has a wider effect than just hurting your own flag; these poor decisions hurt the stall owners, voyagers, and customers of the island.

The fact that those whom hurt islands have islands is a testament of the poor state of our political system, which, boiled down, is largely a system attempting to get goodies in a pirate game by exerting their will over the largest group of people possible. Doing things for the public good is out of date.

Flags do not get a pass from being responsible simply because they own an island.

Thankfully, we do not play in a vacuum. The only bedroom in this game is a lonely Vent channel.
Emmett
[Jan 10, 2012 2:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

An island IS public property, at least to the extent of moving about on the land. Of course people come to expect certain qualitys from different sized islands but the governor is never under any obligation to uphold these expectations (aside from perhaps their own given words).

The fact that those whom hurt islands have islands is a testament of the poor state of our political system, which, boiled down, is largely a system attempting to get goodies in a pirate game by exerting their will over the largest group of people possible. Doing things for the public good is out of date.

I love this, it is a few words short of real life!

No they do not but let us not forget that being responsible was never in the job description.
To be frank I don't think SMD are doing a poor job, they are simply upholding or perhaps progressing at a steady pace.

I love the placement of the bank.. "ballsy" comes to mind, lol but hey no harm no foul.
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 10, 2012 2:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

It is selfish and quite frankly, downright stupid, if flags think like that. If you want to commit political suicide, then by all means, trash an island. However, if you want to be of any success, then listen to the people who really matter and that's the people who are going to use the island. As the wig loving Emmett said, your destructive actions affects a lot of people, if you don't take those into consideration, then you're being selfish.

Not everyone is interested in blockading, nor can they afford to, so why should they roll over and let someone have a hold on their gameplay? It's unfair on them.
Anchovia
[Jan 10, 2012 4:13:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

You would have to define "success" for most governing an island is what they would imagine to be the pinaccle of success, a new island is one of the only few things that will bear fruit (at least in the long run).
It is hard to be selfish in such a situation in which there is little to gain (aside from perhaps e-fame?) and I already pointed out that others have little to lose, others that own stalls on that island could lose investments, but then you take that chance when you settle on an island controlled by players.

You don't have to be intrested in blockading or afford it, if you puzzle then you can have a say, look for a crew of people that want to change the situation and offer your services.

It is like sitting on a sofa with a dry mouth when you know there is a tap with running water next door, you are subjecting yourself to something and sitting on your ass because it is likely the easier option for you at the moment, but you are far from powerless (with those walky leg thingys) and have the ability to make or at least influence change, as always.

And to be honest I'd enjoy seeing a flag that only had destruction on their horizon it would at least compel others to sail for what they wanted :D?
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hurrai at Jan 10, 2012 4:53:13 PM]
[Jan 10, 2012 4:52:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bismarck1

Not everyone is interested in blockading, nor can they afford to, so why should they roll over and let someone have a hold on their gameplay? It's unfair on them.

Not taking sides here, but capitalism is fair to everyone. They spent that money cading, so they deserve to govern the island however they want. If you don't like it, spend more money to take it.
[Jan 10, 2012 9:43:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

Not taking sides here, but capitalism is fair to everyone. They spent that money cading, so they deserve to govern the island however they want. If you don't like it, spend more money to take it.

No, it's not.
Inum

[Jan 10, 2012 10:05:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

No, it's not.

Pwned by Inum. (First time for everything?)
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Jan 10, 2012 10:43:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

No, it's not.

Yes it is. Let's spend our money trash talking those that gain by lying to us till they break or we are out of money.
Edit for those that don't know me: sarcasm tags missing
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kamuflaro at Jan 10, 2012 11:28:16 PM]
[Jan 10, 2012 11:27:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusa

Finally something interesting
I think that capitalism is, by itself, a very balanced and fair system if one would let it run unhindered
Seamusa on Mala
[Jan 11, 2012 6:54:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurrai

No, it's not.

Yes it is, two main reasons below.

#1 Your on an ocean where you can buy what you want via real life money, you might not be able to afford what others spend but you still have the same advantages.

#2 Who said cades have to cost money? aside from the fee to drop a war chest it could cost you nothing, there are not many that appear to have that kind of a hold/bond with a group of players however.

So yes it really is fair, largely because of the dub system (which you also don't have to subject yourself to thanks to sub oceans and the ability to coinscribe should you be that poorly off that you can't afford dubs or a sub).
~ Hurrai on all Oceans

[Jan 11, 2012 8:19:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

No, it's not.

#1 Your on an ocean where you can buy what you want via real life money, you might not be able to afford what others spend but you still have the same advantages.

#2 Who said cades have to cost money? aside from the fee to drop a war chest it could cost you nothing, there are not many that appear to have that kind of a hold/bond with a group of players however.

So yes it really is fair, largely because of the dub system (which you also don't have to subject yourself to thanks to sub oceans and the ability to coinscribe should you be that poorly off that you can't afford dubs or a sub).

I'm not talking game capitalism, I'm talking capitalism. Capitalism is a system based off greed. We take advantage of other people for our own gain. Unregulated capitalism lead to the industrial revolution, and also horrible working conditions for 90% of america. Capitalism is most certainly not fair to everyone. Yes, I am American by the way.
Inum

[Jan 11, 2012 8:22:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taytaytatty

I'm not talking game capitalism, I'm talking capitalism. Capitalism is a system based off greed. We take advantage of other people for our own gain. Unregulated capitalism lead to the industrial revolution, and also horrible working conditions for 90% of america. Capitalism is most certainly not fair to everyone. Yes, I am American by the way.

1) The alternatives have worked so well

2) I believe if we wanted to talk about capitalism outside the game we should stick to the shore leave forum to avoid confusion.

3) The in-game system works how its suppose to, people enjoy the game (generally) and OOO makes real money off it - its not going to change.

Who said cades have to cost money?

Good sir, i challenge you to a ram off! (without rum also)
Native of Malachite

Ye have received 1 piece of eight from Asuras.
Asuras says, "tay for normal clothes :P not for alkohol xD"

Flag Website
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Taytaytatty at Jan 11, 2012 9:13:54 AM]
[Jan 11, 2012 9:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusa

No, it's not.

Capitalism is a system based off competition, and competition is ultimately good for the society as a whole. It is what made the States a great country by allowing rapid economic expansion. Capitalism is strongest where regulation is the least. You don't wanna end up like Canada
Seamusa on Mala
[Jan 11, 2012 9:24:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Well, I'm not going to get too involved in the capitalism debate, but how's Argentina doing these days?

Anywho, sure people could not job for them, however would people really turn down making lots of PoE in a blockade just because some flag wants to destroy an island? Er, yeah, probably not.
Anchovia
[Jan 11, 2012 9:33:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The problem is largely the fact that people mostly job for flags due to poe and have a little understanding of who the flag actually is and what they actually stand for.
Emmett
[Jan 11, 2012 11:11:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

Well, I'm not going to get too involved in the capitalism debate, but how's Argentina doing these days?

Corruption seems to be high, but good other than that on the 1st glance. Germany is fairing better, sometimes I even get the feeling the east is living better than the west :D
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Jan 11, 2012 11:46:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusa

sometimes I even get the feeling the east is living better than the west :D

lol
Seamusa on Mala
[Jan 11, 2012 11:51:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates