• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4542 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
wrs1864b

longest islands held Reply to this Post

On Coblat, we have three player-owned islands that have never been successfully taken since they were first colonized. Considering the ocean mergers, it is doubtful they ever will be.

Has anything like that happened on other oceans?
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 28, 2011 9:14:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Re: longest islands held Reply to this Post

There were islands in Midnight like that too, right?

There's no island like that in Hunter, that I am sure of.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 28, 2011 9:24:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Welp..it is time NF came back. Now go annoy them out of retirement.
Captainrich
[Dec 28, 2011 9:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Pretty sure all of the big islands on Midnight have changed hands at least once.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 28, 2011 12:05:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

On Coblat, we have three player-owned islands that have never been successfully taken since they were first colonized. Considering the ocean mergers, it is doubtful they ever will be.
Which three?
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Dec 28, 2011 1:24:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Which three?

Anyone who knows blockades on Cobalt should be able to think of them right off the bat. But if you are looking for islands to be blockaded, I will mention that Cormorant and Ansel haven't even been blockaded since 2009, let alone changed hands. ;-)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 28, 2011 1:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Xi was held for over 4 years after initially being colonized. Also, after some fact-checking on the Wiki, Islay of Luthien has never been taken since it was colonized over seven years ago (yeesh!). There are probably other examples on Midnight but I'm not familiar enough with the history to name them, I just knew these two off the top of my head and checked to make sure.
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 28, 2011 2:36:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Maybe they like island holding and governing a island more than blockading. That would be my guess, whatever floats their boat.
Captainrich
[Dec 28, 2011 9:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

The old records were Tyr's Own with Byrne from the day blockades were created till Dec 2008, then Cold Steel with Wrasse from May '04 till... January '09? That's a year or two outdated though, I haven't checked recently. Luth was lost in 2010 but is probably in or near the records too.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Dec 28, 2011 11:21:08 PM]
[Dec 28, 2011 11:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

The old records were Tyr's Own with Byrne from the day blockades were created till Dec 2008, then Cold Steel with Wrasse from May '04 till... January '09?

So, one on cobalt which has gone almost 6 years (from Apr '06 until now) may be close to the record?

Luth was lost in 2010 but is probably in or near the records too.

Was te Islay of Luthien lost to a BK and retaken? It appears to still be held by the same flag that colonized it.

IIRC, Kirin on Viridian was held by one flag for a long time, but I don't know how long.
[Dec 29, 2011 4:33:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alamarana88

I'm not sure if I got it exact but from what I remember, Pay for Play held Kirin from it's opening until 2-3 (or more?) years back. Since then it's been held by Sea Change and Riddlemakers since I last played. And I stopped really playing about 2 years ago.
Griffinbane of Viridian
Retired

Echelon says, "nothing like having the power of the bristle 5000 between your legs!"

[Dec 29, 2011 7:25:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

IIRC, Kirin on Viridian was held by one flag for a long time, but I don't know how long.
A few months shy of three years (Pay for Play period). However, it switched hands several times after opening before Pay for Play held it.

Tigerleaf was also held for almost three years but it started with colonization.

And Raven's Roost was colonized and has been held by Sea Wrath for over three years now, so that goes back to your OP.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 29, 2011 7:35:33 AM]
[Dec 29, 2011 7:29:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Which three?

Anyone who knows blockades on Cobalt should be able to think of them right off the bat. But if you are looking for islands to be blockaded, I will mention that Cormorant and Ansel haven't even been blockaded since 2009, let alone changed hands. ;-)

While true, Ansel held the record for most blockaded island on the ocean for more than a year... pretty respectable for a lousy little outpost :)
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Dec 29, 2011 8:20:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Was te Islay of Luthien lost to a BK and retaken?

Nope, and...

It appears to still be held by the same flag that colonized it.

... welcome to Midnight.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 29, 2011 1:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

Was te Islay of Luthien lost to a BK and retaken?

Nope, and...

Byrne and Wrasse are still held by TO and CS even though they lost to player flags as well.

It appears to still be held by the same flag that colonized it.

... welcome to Midnight.

When an island is lost by a flag that colonized it on Midnight, you can pretty much guarantee that they'll be back for it shortly.
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Dec 29, 2011 2:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

A few months shy of three years (Pay for Play period). However, it switched hands several times after opening before Pay for Play held it.

Tigerleaf was also held for almost three years but it started with colonization.

And Raven's Roost was colonized and has been held by Sea Wrath for over three years now, so that goes back to your OP.

Lets not forget Narya who have been holding Lima Dragons nest and Sakejima for ages now!

Someone needs to kade them *insert sarcasm*
[Dec 29, 2011 3:56:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Lets not forget Narya who have been holding Lima Dragons nest and Sakejima for ages now!

Well, I did specify player-owned islands in my original post, but wouldn't it be cool if OOO opened up all but one ringer island on each side of the merged islands? In practice, the need for ringer owned islands hasn't panned out.
[Dec 29, 2011 6:28:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

While true, Ansel held the record for most blockaded island on the ocean for more than a year... pretty respectable for a lousy little outpost :)

Most were pretty crappy blockades and the flag gets very protective now of the island.
Captainrich
[Dec 29, 2011 9:34:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Most were pretty crappy blockades and the flag gets very protective now of the island.

No more so than some others on the ocean - The flag holding Viridis is extremely protective... likewise with NPR and Napi Peak. It used to be the case with some other flags as well until their leadership moved on to other games. In the case of Ansel, some of the blockades were less than stellar from the attackers, but that doesn't mean the defender didn't have to jump through the same hoops when the chest was dropped. After getting hit several times in a row, "protective" was more like "paranoid". :)
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Dec 30, 2011 11:16:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Oops my bad, was talking Ansel on Viridian.
Captainrich
[Dec 30, 2011 6:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

If I am right, before the flag collapsed, Barely Dressed had retained governership of Celesta Isle (more or less) for about 2 and a half years. But then again, they virtually used to own Malachite.
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Dec 31, 2011 7:01:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

^Not really sure on exact numbers/dates but I also think they did lose Celesta to a BK due to a PvP cade running at the same time, they did however retain the island the weekend after.
Sincerely
[Dec 31, 2011 6:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedShadow2

Considering the ocean mergers, it is doubtful they ever will be.

1. This sounds like a challenge :) Unless they are small/outpost islands than you're right no one will care.

2. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are simply too many blockadable islands on the sub oceans for the number of pirates/flags. The reason islands don't change hands much is because its easier for new flags to go after dormant flags and there are only a handful of big flags who are constantly fighting among themselves and controlling the big/popular/good islands.
RedShadow - Cerulean

Spot Collector! Always Willing to Buy/Trade - My List of Boats (Google Doc.)

Cerulean Boat Collectors List (Google Doc.)
[Jan 1, 2012 6:25:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Been there, done that.
[Jan 1, 2012 7:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

Didn't DI hold Turtle for aeons?
Don't wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.
[Jan 4, 2012 2:31:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Sea Wrath lost Raven's Roost on Viridian this morning. That ends that streak.
[removed by SOPA]
[Jan 8, 2012 8:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thegreyman

Coming in with an asterisks, Iris on Midnight has had the same Governor and core crew defending it since it opened on July 28, 2008... however, that Governor, Davsbrander, has moved his crew twice since then, so 3 different Flags have flown from the flagpole on the fort... Midnight Marauders, Suntne Vacci Laeti, and now Bipolar
Jthebear, SO of Imperial Golden Dragons
Prince of Dragon's Quest
Sloop Accumulator
Coffeetar by Phaerie, doesn't it make you want to hunt up some scones?
[Jan 9, 2012 10:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

It depends on how you're judging it, because technically, Angelfish has never been lost since the Dream Reapers took it 3 weeks after it opened. It's changed hands 3 times via island transfer but it's always been with the same crew/core group of players. It's been with CT since Gummyworm merged the Reapers into PotD in 2006.
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jan 10, 2012 2:04:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I worded the OP so that island transfers don't count as the island being taken. The same with flag renames. Personally, I would argue that "blockades that are really just island transfers" shouldn't count, but such blockades are often not clear cut cases, so trying to exclude them might be very messy.

My OP stated "since colonization", but I don't think that is anywhere near as important. Technically, my original definition includes all the newly opened islands, but I would consider an island that has been held since three weeks after colonization to be fa more important/interesting case than islands that have been held for just a few months.

*shrug* split hairs anyway you want. :-)
[Jan 10, 2012 2:40:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates