• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4362 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
porky458

What do you think the server merge ocean will peak at?

I say around 250-300.
[Dec 25, 2011 8:34:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cybrpyro

Re: What do you think the server merge ocean will peak at?

I say more than either do now.
----------------------------------------
Cybrpyro on da Cobalt ocean...as well as the rest

Perilous Puppet Theater
Freak-a-zoid wrote: 
Cybr-dude puts the F. U. in fun!!

[Dec 25, 2011 9:47:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fedorov

peak at 450, average around 250-300
[Dec 25, 2011 11:22:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

It is hard to say.

There are people who play both midnight and cobalt, and sometimes they are on both oceans at the same time, maybe dock tarting on one an updating labor on the other. So, the total number of players is less than the sum of both oceans.

On the other hand, this has and will generate excitement, which will bring in new people and bring back some. On the other hand, it will also generate excitement on other oceans and many people may well use this change to move oceans.

The excitement won't last forever though and what we will be left with is ocean that takes twice as long to get from one end to the other, making gems/fruit/commodity trading harder and less fun. The merger hasn't fixed the fundamental problems with the game, namely waiting hours to have fun.

So, initially, more than either the current combined player base, but not by a huge amount. In 6 months, probably slightly less. In a year, a little more than each ocean currently has. (The population of both midnight and cobalt have dropped a *LOT* in the last year.)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 26, 2011 6:12:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Algol's points are sound. The ocean merger is the START of a good idea, but not the "silver bullet" everyone is anticipating. Without the advent of unlimited swabbies, modifications to improve the pillaging experience, and fixes for the long-term issues that continually plague the game (blue gunning screens anyone?), the merger will only forestall apathy for about a year.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Dec 26, 2011 9:35:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Fedorov

I agree it might not bring in many new players, but look at it this way, the amount of hardcore dedicated diehard players is doubled. There are many players that will never leave this game and will die with this game.

The poulation will be much higher, therefore the merger DID solve some issues.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fedorov at Dec 27, 2011 12:59:26 PM]
[Dec 27, 2011 12:59:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

The poulation will be much higher, therefore the merger DID solve some issues.

In the last year, the only major changes to YPP has been the limited integration with Steam. In the last Year, according to glowie.com, Cobalt and Midnight have come close to losing half their population. The near doubling of the population a year ago wasn't enough to help YPP over the last year.

What problems will the merger solve that won't be wiped out in the next year?
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 27, 2011 2:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

What problems will the merger solve that won't be wiped out in the next year?

The glass will always be half empty for some. But a single subscriber ocean may be attractive to newer players, where previously a choice was not.

It is certainly possible that the population of Midblat will halve again, but I see the value of subscribing to regular players; dubbers are a far more mixed bunch, from credit card captains to those that can play for free on the basis of their skills to irregulars and on and on....
[Dec 27, 2011 2:53:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I was originally a "subber" then moved over to the dub oceans. I personally made the move over because as a new player i didnt feel like anyone went out of their way to help me progress as a player ( yes i know, cry me a river) at times when i have gone on holidays on Midnight i still feel like there is a certain type of snobbery amongst the older players. I dont think it is intentional, i think you play a game for long enough and just get tired of being super welcoming and helpful to everyone you meet and i guess you have earned the right to sit back and enjoy the game as you please. I think one issue the sub ocean is always going to have is the fact that as a new player it is super hard to break into the current political circles. I think the merger will be absolutely beautiful for the subscribers but for the ocean to stay alive i guess it will be up to the players to keep the new folk interested in the game long enough to develop the skills they need to move up the ranks.

I really do enjoy alot of the people from Midnight and am totally in love with alot of the Cobalt players and so having them all on one ocean will be bliss. As a "Dubber" i am even thinking about giving the sub oceans another go :)

I still think that if the greeter system was improved to actually help greenies ALL the oceans would be better off as the current system is a complete joke.

thats my 2 cents <3 Good Luck crazy Subbers and i look forward to maybe playing with you guys in the new year! xx
Shadymermady - Meridian
Shadeh/Betty - Emerald

Queen of Annunaki

Crip tells ye, "bout to turn on my balls warmer.."
[Dec 27, 2011 5:17:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fedorov

the bottom line is we will have twice as much dedicated players on Cerulean. Thus resultin in a permanent population increase.

Unless everyone just decides to retire, the population as it is will not go down. face it, most of the players are seasoned vets, there is no such thing as new players anymore.
[Dec 27, 2011 5:56:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Heeb5

the bottom line is we will have twice as much dedicated players on Cerulean. Thus resultin in a permanent population increase.

Unless everyone just decides to retire, the population as it is will not go down. face it, most of the players are seasoned vets, there is no such thing as new players anymore.

How new is new? I would consider myself new...

Back on topic, I think the ocean will have a great population however the amount of cading will hopefully go up, but I'm not sure it will...
[Dec 27, 2011 6:47:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
copperbells

The merger may increase an interest in sub oceans and bring about more people to play with, but the burn out old members are feeling is still a constant presence when no new content is being released.

I think that is the point Algol is trying to make, and is a very valid one.
Rosalyn
Tartin' it up on Cobalt
[Dec 27, 2011 11:53:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Camen4

The merger may increase an interest in sub oceans and bring about more people to play with, but the burn out old members are feeling is still a constant presence when no new content is being released.

I think that is the point Algol is trying to make, and is a very valid one.

I agree but with the economy the way it is i don't see sub. oceans getting very many new members from dub. oceans and that could also be another reason we are like we are (pirate wise) so people are not all to blame.

Camen
Born and raised on Cobalt

Camen on Cerulean (Cobalt)
[Dec 28, 2011 9:43:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Well, it won't double. It'll increase by a factor of maybe 65%. Many sub players (myself included) play both oceans... when they merge, we won't magically double.

It's not that hard to break into established politics. I joined YPP in January 2007 - began subbing in February. I was monarch of my flag in less than a year. Our flag and crew were both top 10 under my reign, and for a long time was considered by many to be worth their trouble to "go after". I am by no means a rock-star bnav or a "name" SMHer or interarch pillager... yet my hearty list still includes many of those the ocean would consider elite, and I am still sought out for a variety of reasons from assistance with events to blockade management, to conspiracies for market manipulation, to just plain puzzling. What did I do to break into that "rock solid" political arena? Simple. I stayed on station, puzzled well, and (gasp) talked to people in chat.

It ain't that tough.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Dec 28, 2011 1:33:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

Well, it's sorta a funny, Cerulean, will be a collaboration of ideas brought about years ago. Many had put forth the notion of an elite ocean, and sadly that became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Cobalt, (as I cannot speak for Midnight,) players have been notoriously dismissive of newer players and snobbish towards integration of new and up-coming flags and crews into the existing alliances on the oceans. It does, has and will continue to cause problems. No new player retention? We all know why- it's a chore to teach new players the ropes. But I feel that even pirates with great potential get ignored due to perceived effort expended.

In the past I've been a squeaky wheel for stronger guidelines for greeter-ship. But, this is one of the battles I grew apathetic towards, as no one seem to care. Despite me choosing to ignore it, I know it goes on. I think that anyone choosing to use the /duty should be prepared to stop what they are doing immediately and really ask the greenie what can be done to help them. Just the other day I got a greenie call, (first in a very long time,) he wanted to know what "alty" meant. I was very disappointed, not only were seasoned players calling him names for being better than average at sword fighting, but an actual greeter before me was "very rude" and didn't answer his very legitimate question. This is not acceptable.

I really think that if you're in a tarty mood- you need to /duty off. I know that there were trolls years ago who would quiz greeters to rile them up- but may I point out that if you're responding to every greenie call as if it were a troll, you've let the trolls win. If you do suspect that a real troll is behind it- use your pink-named wisdom and /complain, (YPP has people with real jobs where they get paid real money to deal with these issues- let them do their job.) It's that simple.

Maybe it's also time for all pirates to go on duty, (pink-named or not,) and to accept a role of more helpful than before. It will be extremely confusing time for new players to understand the merge- not just before it happens but for several months after. There will be a lot that we're all adjusting to, I would like to see a strong movement on Midnight, Cobalt and Cerulean to be open, kind and understanding of new players in this adjustment period and after.
Stabatha Captain of Hang on Sloopy, Princess of Mixed Nuts, Cerulean Ocean
[Dec 28, 2011 8:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

Well, it won't double. It'll increase by a factor of maybe 65%. Many sub players (myself included) play both oceans... when they merge, we won't magically double.

It's not that hard to break into established politics. I joined YPP in January 2007 - began subbing in February. I was monarch of my flag in less than a year. Our flag and crew were both top 10 under my reign, and for a long time was considered by many to be worth their trouble to "go after". I am by no means a rock-star bnav or a "name" SMHer or interarch pillager... yet my hearty list still includes many of those the ocean would consider elite, and I am still sought out for a variety of reasons from assistance with events to blockade management, to conspiracies for market manipulation, to just plain puzzling. What did I do to break into that "rock solid" political arena? Simple. I stayed on station, puzzled well, and (gasp) talked to people in chat.

It ain't that tough.

When i talk about breaking into politics i meant the blockade game(because lets face it, without blockades there would be no need for politics). You can't tell me that its easy to start fresh on a sub ocean and be cade ready in no time. Without sounding tarty, since you started playing, how many times has your flag blockaded? Or on a more personal level, how many blockade teams have you yourself been an actively involved in? I totally agree with you when you say its not hard to become known to elites or whatever, but to me, being invited onto a pillage isnt the deffinition of being a "rock solid" politically involved pirate. Sub oceans are crazy hard to get started on, it is confusing enough as a new player to join a pillage (especially when there arent any on the NB) throw in a few snobby old farts telling you you're a nub and it's no wonder why holding onto newbs is near impossible.

please dont take this as a negative response to what you said, i am generally interested on how many cades you have been involved in because i think we have been playing for a similar length of time and it would be an interesting comparison.

edit - @ any snobby old farts that may have taken offence, its cool, i class myself as old and snobby too! its your right to not wanna help people when you have trained a million officers and pointed a thousand pirates in the right direction over the years.
Shadymermady - Meridian
Shadeh/Betty - Emerald

Queen of Annunaki

[Edit 1 times, last edit by shadymermady at Dec 29, 2011 11:08:47 AM]
[Dec 29, 2011 11:05:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

I think the so-called "snobbiness" you refer to is partially because a lot of newer pirates just want everything handed to them. There are some out there who truly want to learn and I try my best to be helpful, but after the 500th time someone asks you for PoE or familiars or other items, it starts to grate on the nerves. I can't speak for others, but I personally enjoy helping out newer pirates if they're willing to learn.
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Dec 29, 2011 1:17:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I think the so-called "snobbiness" you refer to is partially because a lot of newer pirates just want everything handed to them. There are some out there who truly want to learn and I try my best to be helpful, but after the 500th time someone asks you for PoE or familiars or other items, it starts to grate on the nerves. I can't speak for others, but I personally enjoy helping out newer pirates if they're willing to learn.

Totally 100% agree
Shadymermady - Meridian
Shadeh/Betty - Emerald

Queen of Annunaki

[Dec 30, 2011 1:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

It ain't that tough.

When i talk about breaking into politics i meant the blockade game(because lets face it, without blockades there would be no need for politics). You can't tell me that its easy to start fresh on a sub ocean and be cade ready in no time. Without sounding tarty, since you started playing, how many times has your flag blockaded? Or on a more personal level, how many blockade teams have you yourself been an actively involved in? I totally agree with you when you say its not hard to become known to elites or whatever, but to me, being invited onto a pillage isnt the deffinition of being a "rock solid" politically involved pirate. Sub oceans are crazy hard to get started on, it is confusing enough as a new player to join a pillage (especially when there arent any on the NB) throw in a few snobby old farts telling you you're a nub and it's no wonder why holding onto newbs is near impossible.

please dont take this as a negative response to what you said, i am generally interested on how many cades you have been involved in because i think we have been playing for a similar length of time and it would be an interesting comparison.

edit - @ any snobby old farts that may have taken offence, its cool, i class myself as old and snobby too! its your right to not wanna help people when you have trained a million officers and pointed a thousand pirates in the right direction over the years.

Well... I can only speak for myself. I admiraled my first blockade as a non-royal FO about 5 months after subscribing. I admiraled my second a week later. Since then, I've been blockade staff for nearly 20 blockades - about half of which where my flag was a principle. I've been requested as a bnav on about two dozen more.

But I disagree with your original premise - politics isn't just about blockading. It's also about synchronizing SMH schedules, getting invited on "elite" pillages or CI runs, getting invited to be auctioned off in a fundraiser, or MC an event, or lead a team in a competition. Politics is, by definition, the social puzzle one step up the risers.

Bottom line - I didn't do anything special to get recognized as someone who could be counted on in game. I socialized, supported crew, flag, and hearties, and puzzled on everyone's ship as if it were my own. The next poster sums it up pretty well:

a lot of newer pirates just want everything handed to them

SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Edit 2 times, last edit by marundel at Dec 30, 2011 11:26:29 AM]
[Dec 30, 2011 11:25:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

Well... I can only speak for myself. I admiraled my first blockade as a non-royal FO about 5 months after subscribing. I admiraled my second a week later. Since then, I've been blockade staff for nearly 20 blockades - about half of which where my flag was a principle. I've been requested as a bnav on about two dozen more.

Hey thanks for the response! Thats crazy that you admiralled for the first time after 5 months! You must have been lucky enough to fall into the right circle of people from the begining : ).

But I disagree with your original premise - politics isn't just about blockading. It's also about synchronizing SMH schedules, getting invited on "elite" pillages or CI runs, getting invited to be auctioned off in a fundraiser, or MC an event, or lead a team in a competition. Politics is, by definition, the social puzzle one step up the risers.

Interesting.
I guess i should have said "for me personally, politics is only about the blockading".
I havent really thought about how politics could be used to get you jobbed onto a CI run or the other things you mentioned. I guess this is an added challenge to playing on a Sub ocean. Less online players, so i guess you really would have to rely on extra support from allies to fill a ship. You made a good point, thanks again for your reply.

The next poster sums it up pretty well:

a lot of newer pirates just want everything handed to them

And as the this quoted poster said in the rest of their post,

There are some out there who truly want to learn

If the newbs that want to learn shit get treated like a greenie that wants everything handed to them, they will leave. Also i dont see anything wrong with handing stuff out to newer pirates. I give out ships to new officers all the time and they appreciate it and i know they will give me their support somewhere down the road. I am a huge supporter of helping new pirates get started. I think older players can be too harsh sometimes. It becomes like a RL scenario of when a kid asks his granny for the lift to the shops and is given the response : "back in my day we had to walk to the shops! back in my day, we had to work 187hrs to make a dollar!!"

anyyyywhooo.. i cant even remember the topic of this chat anymore.. hopefully i havent offended anyone, because it wasnt my intention. I also have had to work super hard to get to where i am. I have never been given any handouts and i have had to earn my own support. I understand where you are coming from.
Shadymermady - Meridian
Shadeh/Betty - Emerald

Queen of Annunaki

[Dec 30, 2011 5:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Thats crazy that you admiralled for the first time after 5 months!

Worse - my first admiraling job was only my second blockade. In my first one, I managed to get sunk bnavving a WB during an island giveaway event. That achievement got me promoted to FO :)

If the newbs that want to learn shit get treated like a greenie that wants everything handed to them, they will leave.

No argument there.

Also i dont see anything wrong with handing stuff out to newer pirates. I give out ships to new officers all the time and they appreciate it and i know they will give me their support somewhere down the road. I am a huge supporter of helping new pirates get started. I think older players can be too harsh sometimes. It becomes like a RL scenario of when a kid asks his granny for the lift to the shops and is given the response : "back in my day we had to walk to the shops! back in my day, we had to work 187hrs to make a dollar!!"

I'm also a big fan of giving new folks a leg up - assuming they make a good first impression. I got invited to join a crew following my very first pillage because, even though I never got above Fine, I stayed on station, followed directions in the frays, and was polite in chat. I got promoted to officer when I subscribed a mere 10 days after my first login because I asked a lot of questions about tactics and techniques and because I followed the advice of my crew and flag leadership. I was gifted by one of the SOs with enough PoE to buy my first sloop with the only qualifier being that I pay it forward somewhere down the line. Even now, I walk around with about 50 whisk potions solely for the purpose of giving them to greenies that hit the "help" button when I'm on /duty.

...but not everybody gets one. When I get a greenie who asks legitimate questions, and has a genuine interest in learning the game, I'm more than happy to stop what I'm doing and lend them a significant portion of my time (and give them starter stuff.) When a greenie starts out asking for PoE or items, or if they spam /tell chat, or if they keep asking the same question over and over hoping the answer will change, or any of a number of other irritating behaviors, they're out of luck with me. I've gone so far as to mute them. Yes - I believe active players have a responsibility to new folks; however, I also believe that new folks have to meet us halfway.
SO, Boochin' Drunks

[Dec 31, 2011 9:22:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Camen4

...but not everybody gets one. When I get a greenie who asks legitimate questions, and has a genuine interest in learning the game, I'm more than happy to stop what I'm doing and lend them a significant portion of my time (and give them starter stuff.) When a greenie starts out asking for PoE or items, or if they spam /tell chat, or if they keep asking the same question over and over hoping the answer will change, or any of a number of other irritating behaviors, they're out of luck with me. I've gone so far as to mute them. Yes - I believe active players have a responsibility to new folks; however, I also believe that new folks have to meet us halfway.

Agreed I got my first legit greeter call in a long time a greenie was asking about the DR and I answered his question as well as explained how it works but my past greeter calls have all been for PoE but i agree with them needed to meet us halfway and acualy care about the game

Camen

Camen on Cerulean (Cobalt)
[Dec 31, 2011 10:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

I'm also a big fan of giving new folks a leg up - assuming they make a good first impression.

I think that's great, I agree that a whisk or a small, inexpensive yet useful item is a nice way to welcome a new pirate. And it's awesome to see that some people are still taking the time to help out new players.

I got invited to join a crew following my very first pillage because, even though I never got above Fine, I stayed on station, followed directions in the frays, and was polite in chat. I got promoted to officer when I subscribed a mere 10 days after my first login because I asked a lot of questions about tactics and techniques and because I followed the advice of my crew and flag leadership.

I also was invited to join a crew almost immediately too, I subscribed, mostly because I wanted to do all the puzzles without waiting, and was promoted to officer upon subscription. But I didn't receive any official training from anyone in the crew, my jobbers were actually explaining to me how to stock the ship on my first pillage. Most people in my first crew didn't know barnacle from Shinola. Fortunately, I saw how a real crew worked by jobbing and asking other people and eventually moved on from that crew. But that was back in 2005 when there were 500-700 people online at any given time, and there were 10-20 pillages at most times. And, not that I'm a SMHs ruined the game person, but it was also before there were elite voyages exclusive to pirates with decent stats. This is not the setting I predict of Cerulean. If we want the server to peak, at all, we're going to have to get off our high horses and be more open to new players again.
Stabatha Captain of Hang on Sloopy, Princess of Mixed Nuts, Cerulean Ocean
[Dec 31, 2011 11:14:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Six hundred and ninety six people.
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[Jan 11, 2012 12:05:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates