• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13519 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
Caribastos4

Re: Ode to Malachite

Pilly offers show up on top of kade offers on the NB, and newer players don't always know to look down. Josh also (apparently) has some friends and flaggies who chose to make less money pillaging than they would have made in the kade. There were also a couple of high-paying PvP kades on virid at the same time, so to draw off-ocean jobbers would have taken pay of closer to 3.5k. There were enough people puzzling on ships on Mala to beat that BK. But Josh saw to it, after being asked many times to wait, that a chunk of them were on a brig pillage.

And frankly, Poohb deserves a shout-out here as well, for making CD worry about defending Zuyua the next day. I don't know what the thought process behind that drop was, but if it was EI's way of getting back at CD for dropping on Drogeo, that's a super selfish move.

It's been fun, Mala, and there have been some awesome events these past few days. Shame we couldn't work together to take one of our best islands out of the hands of a BK.

/e pretends that rhymed.
----------------------------------------
Jdilla on Emerald and Meridian.

Stroma says, "i hate you"
[Jan 30, 2012 4:13:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

And frankly, Poohb deserves a shout-out here as well, for making CD worry about defending Zuyua the next day. I don't know what the thought process behind that drop was, but if it was EI's way of getting back at CD for dropping on Drogeo, that's a super selfish move.

I hope you're not being serious.
Sincerely
[Jan 30, 2012 4:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

I hope you're not being serious.

Emmett
[Edit 2 times, last edit by monstersoda at Jan 30, 2012 10:34:22 PM]
[Jan 30, 2012 7:56:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

I'll clarify what I ment by bolding. Please explain in what way this related to the failure at Drogeo.

@Emmett,

Sincerely
[Jan 31, 2012 7:50:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caribastos4

The decision to pull out of Drogeo was made for three reasons. They are, in no particular order:

(1) Josh loaded a brig pilly;

(2) Virid was at 3.5k;

(3) CD had to defend Zuyua the next day.

CD had reason to suspect, and it turned out to in fact be the case, that EI was throwing its support behind Poohb at Zuyua. So yes, a PvP defense the next day supported by a flag with resources and a recent history of pay-wars played a part in the decision to pull out of Drogeo. Zuyua turned out to be relatively inexpensive, but there was no way of knowing that at the time - there was no pay agreement until an hour prior to Zuyua.

As for whether Poohb/EI intended for this to happen, while I know that several prominent members of EI were upset that CD dropped on Drogeo, I can't say for sure whether the Zuyua drop was motivated by that.

[Jan 31, 2012 8:16:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

You can't honestly be sitting here saying that the excuse for pulling out of the major island on Malachite while it was attacked by a BK is because you were going to have a PvP cade the next day at an island that most likely has zero importance what so ever. Put your prioritations right.
Sincerely
[Jan 31, 2012 9:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caribastos4

That's not what I said. Reasonable people can disagree about this issue, but the decision was made given the relative expected cost/difficulty of attaining drogeo given the circumstances vs defending zuyua. Taking drogeo would probably have taken 2-3 rounds at 3.5k after the first round followed by a flagsit, and it was sinking. Keeping zuyua was likely to be less difficult, as CD wasn't competing with a virid PvP for jobbers, WQ is a tough BK, and CD had control over sinkiness. Plus, drogeo may be Mala's best island at the moment, but if so then it's a big fish in a small cesspool. Which is worth more post-merge: a medium on mala, or an outpost right next to the inter-ocean that can produce cb's? And, more importantly, is the difference enough to overcome the discrepancy in expected cost/difficulty?

[Jan 31, 2012 10:09:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benrenshaw

Is there something wrong with having two blockades in a single weekend? Considering you'd be having a 4 week break with no blockades, I don't understand why you chose to pull out after not getting enough jobbers at 500PoE/seg.
Captainben on Meridian
Basicx on Emerald
[Jan 31, 2012 11:45:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Zuyua is not relevant what so ever, it was going to be player owned regardless. Drogeo however now has to go through 100%tax for a month because of you guys being irresponsible about caring for the island. And here you are blaming other people's drops for your inability of defending the island.

Clearly you were not with the intention of defending Drogeo properly when you wont even put up a normal cade offer to defend it, which makes your point about viridian cades null as you didn't even try putting up a decent job offer, less when you're competing with pillages for the jobbers. Also, before you call someone out for being super selfish, you might want to read what you just wrote. If anything, you're not giving a shit about anything else then yourselves.
Sincerely
[Jan 31, 2012 12:10:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Really? They pulled out at Drogeo? I didn't realise that, heh.

If you'd paid 2k/seg you would almost certainly have been able to win (with decent navvers but I believe you had some of those). There was cross-ocean competition but there usually is and we won strength 5 BKs with pay of 1500 on several occasions.

If you want to say Zuyua is worth more than Drogeo, then fine, but you shouldn't have dropped on Drogeo at all if you didn't intend to contest it properly.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jan 31, 2012 12:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caribastos4

Boyk: EI lost drogeo last week. CD was attacking, not defending. My point was that in the interest of keeping one of Mala's best islands out of BK hands, the ocean should have come together and supported CD. Instead, they threw up obstacles in the form of a brig pillage and a PvP kade. Even at 500 poe per seg, jobbers make out far better in a kade than on a pilly. Raising to 1k, or even 2k, wasn't going to help with 3.5k on virid.

Bob, Ben, and Boyk: 2-3 rounds of sinkiness at 3.5k isn't exactly cheap, and that's what it would have taken to have a CHANCE at drogeo. Not everyone has unlimited poes. Spending that much on drogeo would have been a more enticing option if there wasn't a potentially expensive zuyua defense the next day. It's not fair to say CD shouldn't have dropped if they planned to defend Zuyua as the zuyua drop happened well after the Drogeo drop - which was my point. Why are mala's flags trying to make it more difficult to win back an island from a BK?

This wasn't my kade, isn't my flag, and I have no real interest in continuing to post in this thread. I've said my piece, and if you'd like to chat about this more, feel free to find me in-game.

[Jan 31, 2012 1:04:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benrenshaw

k.
Captainben on Meridian
Basicx on Emerald
[Jan 31, 2012 1:31:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Or perhaps the fact that EI should have defended the island properly in the first place, during the initial BK blockade.

Or the fact that EI should have re-engaged the following weekend to make up for their grave errors in the initial blockade.

The problem is a combination of the facts that Carpe Diem offered an insatisfactory level of pay needed to secure the island, and the fact that EI not only created the initial problem, but also helped bog down Carpe Diem by not supporting the Drogeo effort and by contributing to the further strain on Carpe Diem at Zuyua.

Really, everyone is at blame for this horrible result. The gravest error on the part of Malachite is the lack of unity shown, as the continual perpetuation of selfish motives for selfish ends on many fronts.
Emmett
[Edit 1 times, last edit by monstersoda at Jan 31, 2012 2:02:37 PM]
[Jan 31, 2012 2:02:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

In hindsight, I think that I wouldn't have posted this thread to begin with if I knew that only roughly 1/3 of the posts are relevant to the topic at hand. I didn't want to see this become a sinkhole for political abuse, but well it just shows that when people are determined enough to prove eachother wrong, they end up dragging people, ideas and the feeling of team spirit and cooperation into it whether or not they were uninvolved.

Last time I checked, the title of this thread wasn'tInadvertent bitching thread (including via poetry) nor Political Sinkhole nor even CD's unfortunate Island Attempt Discussion. The title was (and still is) Ode to Malachite, and it is a thread about POETRY.

What exact right, do you think you, in all your ever-so-correct minds have, to take a thread specifically posted to try and help Malachite end on a high, in a very creative and literal sense, and then to take this, and effectively smash it to pieces just because you think you can? Unfortunatley, quite a few of you would probably argue that it is because it is the internet. Well screw you. Grow up, and learn some bloody manners.

Fin.
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by laladibla at Jan 31, 2012 2:44:05 PM]
[Jan 31, 2012 2:40:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Because the flags really are not worth making a new thread for. So, if you set a rock next to a flower, the two even out and make something acceptable, yet neither lovely nor plain.
Emmett
[Jan 31, 2012 3:06:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

I shall be writing a poem to respond to everyone.

Bob, Boyk and Ben
These three, piratey men.
Fail to see, how Carpe Diem, we
do not have unlimited funds.
After we dropped, we intended on paying more
But Poohb dropped on Zuyua, right before
And thus our attack was in vain.
Whilst our pay may have hurt our attack.
Joshuakiller's pilly also held us back.
So we apologize for our part played within Drogeo.

There, not a great poem, but keeping to the poem theme.

I'll write more poems later.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Jan 31, 2012 4:09:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates