• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 43
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13321 times and has 42 replies Next Thread
Elliptic

The Well-Eventuated Wendish Terra Translationancy, Now Ships with Colorful Power Transfer

There is nothing wrong with your Terra. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. (Resizing is okay, don't worry about resizing.) I am controlling the transmission. (Of ideas. Regarding Terra.) I control the horizontal tax slider, even when I'm not quite vertical. I can roll with a sudden challenge to my self-image, though my heart be a-flutter. I change focus with a blurring speed, precluding clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and and I will control all that you see and hear. (For a given value of 'control', I suppose. On that note, maybe first turn your screensaver off.*) I repeat: there is nothing wrong with your Terra. (Geologically.)You are about to participate in a great adventure. (This is not the hour of sitting quietly we're talking about, this is an entirely different thing we're alluding to just now.) You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the mindless innards to ... the outré liminalities. (Okay.)

So! I recently discovered I was not-so-recently made governor of Terra. Legacy has okayed the protraction and natural maturation of their practical joke, on condition that I make sufficiently serious trouble for any attacker. Thus, Stone Soup will fight Chthonic Horde and take the reins at Terra with an iron fist's light touch, like the tap of a piece of cutlery on the side of a wine glass, bringing notice of the beginning of a new order and the end of the hors d'oeuvre.

I'm going to use the palace income to do event blockades. I want to do a PoE-for-Points one, where you get PoE for scoring points, and also one where something sinks and you get to haul something that was in that very something. They'll be on the 27th and 29th of December.

You may have humble petitions. I am ready to cast a patrician eye over your humble petitions. I'm a pretty swell guy like that, not even gonna lie.

*And perhaps don some earmuffs. You might also want to close your eyes, as staring at a static screen can be stressful. In fact, why not just take an hour's nap? Why not take more naps, generally speaking?
----------------------------------------
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Elliptic at Dec 11, 2011 10:24:31 AM]
[Dec 11, 2011 9:59:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elemein

Re: The Well-Eventuated Wendish Terra Translationancy, Now Ships with Colorful Power Transfer

So you're going to be holding event blockade for PoE?

Sorry, with all your poet's talk and sugar-coating I'd have to be under the influence of something to understand fully what you said.
Elegeto on Meridian
[Dec 11, 2011 11:08:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

Re: The Well-Eventuated Wendish Terra Translationancy, Now Ships with Colorful Power Transfer

I'm going to use the palace income to do event blockades. I want to do a PoE-for-Points one, where you get PoE for scoring points, and also one where something sinks and you get to haul something that was in that very something. They'll be on the 27th and 29th of December.

How is that 'poet's talk and sugar coating'? I wouldn't know a way to explain it more clear than he did in that post.
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Dec 11, 2011 11:13:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pzaragosa

Interesting event you've got there. Will this be available for all flags or only the newer ones?
Pzaragoza of some crew and some flag
[Dec 11, 2011 12:02:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

I'll probably put a paycap on eligibility for prizes with the PoE-for-points event like before, but yes, after reflection, it will be open to everyone. The Treasure Haul one can only be a free-for-all, I think. Events posts to come.

If anyone drops on Terra this weekend, there will be a one-off reward for blockading the attacker or his allies: eight times the war chest cost for a drop on a Medium or Large island owned by the attacker within two hours of any Terra drop. This would go to the King/Queen of the flag who drops first.

Wend, royal archophobe
[Dec 16, 2011 6:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

bump

Event post for 27th. Please make accusations in this thread and technical queries in that one.

Wend, royal archophobe
[Dec 24, 2011 5:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fresnokush

Did anyone else have a flashback to George Orwell's 1984 when reading the original post?
Twiggy is dead.
He flies spaceships now.
Blame Three Rings.

"Among creatures born into chaos, a majority will imagine an order,
a minority will question the order, and the rest will be pronounced insane."

[Dec 24, 2011 4:21:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Fresnokush wrote: 
Did anyone else have a flashback to George Orwell's 1984 when reading the original post?

Only proles.

Lookit.

Wend, royal archophobe
[Dec 28, 2011 8:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Empatheticly

Fresnokush wrote: 

Only proles.

Lookit.

Good book, and you're not the only one Fresno. :P
I do what I can, when I can.

- Empathetic,
Still playing, here and there.
[Dec 29, 2011 11:23:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Although I know what you guys mean, it was a pastiche of the spiel that came at the beginning of The Outer Limits, an old TV show.

---

So we had the events and they came off well enough. There was quite good participation, though the short notice was a problem. I'd like to try to create a rolling schedule of such event blockades and I'm interested in feedback.

To (extremely) belatedly answer P, I want to give all new players a chance to blockade, including those who happen to be in established flags. The nature of the events is different - though not unrelated - to regular blockades and I don't want to drive people away. I think playing with experienced pirates in these could be good. The paycap works okay with PoE-for-Points ($fP) in keeping the field open and it may be possible to do some kind of non-sinking TH, we'll see.

With the $fP, I'll disallow brigs next time - they're a little to intimidating for smaller ships. Making it three rounds was a mistake, because it created an organizational challenge. So, I'll probably do one round with a 300K pot and a paycap of 900/segment.

The TH was good. It turned out the long break was needed - the last of it was hauled about ten minutes from round four. Getting the word out was a problem and I know some people were disappointed to miss it. I hope to be able to get OM help for advertising in future.

I'm interested to hear what people might like timing-wise. Terra has made less than I thought I saw it make before I took over (and certainly less than historic highs) but it's still over 400K per week and I'm happy to supplement things a bit myself. This means that we can have one or two events every week, so it'd be good to hear what kind of scheduling would work best.

---

Regarding defense, I intend to defend Terra very strongly at the very least until after the merger. I don't like the idea of a flag sitting behind the Ringer's furniture-rearranging, raking in the PoE. I'll renew for this coming weekend the offer to subsidize counterattacks that was made in my post above.

Just drop last-minute and you'll be fine ... for a while.

But enough of this military posturing! Onto some small civic matters! Right now, I intend to let taxes remain at 100%, though I am theoretically open to arguments for lowering it. (Maybe bump that thread or PM me.) If a shoppe plot opens up, I will fill it and auction the replacement shoppe off for event funds. I haven't really sorted out the Estate Agent because I don't think anyone needs an upgrade - if you do, you can let me know and I'll be happy to gouge you (on behalf of the events, of course - my wonderful, wonderfully self-aggrandizing events).

Wend, ruling Terra with a firmer hand (and also brackets)

Wend, royal archophobe
[Jan 5, 2012 3:23:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

A drop!

Terra is controlled by me, not Legacy.

Terra will be defended by me - or maybe attacked by me with a different flag! WHO CAN SAY?

Taxes have been set to 3%. This is partly to deny tax to a new owner (everyone pay in advance!) and partly due to other reasons. Tax will remain at 3% until the ocean merger. This is partly because moving the tax slider is far too taxing, and partly due to other reasons.

Taxes will be set at 0% for the duration of the post-merger blockade moratorium (PMBM). This is on account of how nobody can do anything about anything the governor does for the duration of the PMBM. Maybe I should hold off on any building as well? I might do that. Will keep you updated.

I was thinking about replacing dusted shoppes with housing instead of more shoppes. I might do that. Terra looks to have the lowest population of any Large.

There's still tax money that hasn't been used in events. If Terra is lost to me *sniffle* I'll do the events at Lima. Will keep you updated.

Wend, royal archophobe
[Jan 20, 2012 3:13:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

Terra Blockade Jan.-21, 2012

We of Heisenberg's Uncertainty like to thank Knockout for dropping on Terra and Labby Moors before Legacy could scuttle shield them. We also like to thank our ally, Stone Soup who came out strongly to support our taking of Terra as did many friends and hearties.

I like to thank Son's of Guns and Riddlemakers for preventing a flag-sit in round-1 and round-2, respectively.

No deals or promises were made with any party or individual. Taxes stand at 3%, and will stay there until we figure out, what all this means. We are certainly in a little over our heads when it comes to large isles. Hell, I do not even know how to drop a shoppe, not do I care too much about it.

We will likely schedule 1-2 hour event blockades on weekends to perhaps redistribute some of the island income along the lines that Wend initiated. We liked those very much and the small fleet we placed there for these events came handy for the drop.

Our costs came to 900K to pay for jobbers and 125K for the drop. These costs were more than covered by donations from two of our SOs as well as jobbers returning their pay. So, again, this was a net fund-raiser for us.

Ideally, our jobbers may not have noticed the amount of chaos on our side without a BA, LA, or JC. We just threw together what we had within 30 minutes prior to round-1 starting, improvising along the way and adopting to evolving situations ... thank you RM and SoG.

P.S.: One most disturbing fact did happen ... a friend and hearty did convey damage levels and available moves of an enemy ship to me while I was sailing. This is not the way to do business, it takes the fun out of it for all. I told him to stop and kept the ill-begotten spying to myself.

EDIT: Changing title and making reference to Terra.
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sverdrup at Jan 21, 2012 11:15:20 PM]
[Jan 21, 2012 11:12:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WenchCleo

Re: Terra Blockade Jan.-21, 2012

Congrats Sver and HU! I think you'll make a great governor!
Tikao of Viridian Meridian Ocean
Captain of Dark Horizon, Queen of Brink of Dawn

Martobain wrote: 
This thread is like a spanish soap series, I don't have a clue what they are saying and all the actors suck.

[Jan 22, 2012 10:30:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skater9029

As the member of RM who threw together this half-ass attempt at a 'cade, I'd really like to thank Wend for making it sinking after I assume he saw our ships weren't BR. We were prepared to stay in as long as we had ships, although sadly this was taken out of our hands by the war reciprocation. Anywho, good show to HU, sorry we couldn't keep going, hope you enjoyed the flag-sit.

Edit: New information came to light, may not be Wend as much as originally thought.
Joncole
On all oceans.

Fixation officer chats, "I can ride the small ones, but the big ones scare the living crap out of me"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skater9029 at Jan 22, 2012 11:07:18 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 9:42:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

As the member of RM who threw together this half-ass attempt at a 'cade, I'd really like to thank Wend for making it sinking after I assume he saw our ships weren't BR. We were prepared to stay in as long as we had ships, although sadly this was taken out of our hands by the war reciprocation. Anywho, good show to HU, sorry we couldn't keep going, hope you enjoyed the flag-sit.

Wend isn't in Legacy. How could he have made it sinking?

Also, it's kinda silly to blame other people if you had to pull out cuz your ships weren't properly unlocked.
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hazarath at Jan 22, 2012 9:55:21 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 9:54:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skater9029

After I asked a Legacy royal why they made it sinking if they weren't entering, I was told "because Wend asked them too, he holds Terra, it's just in our flag."

Edit: With a half hour notice that they aren't entering, and you're moving whatever ships you can find close enough to enter, you find an unlocked fleet.
Joncole
On all oceans.

Fixation officer chats, "I can ride the small ones, but the big ones scare the living crap out of me"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skater9029 at Jan 22, 2012 9:57:56 PM]
[Jan 22, 2012 9:55:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

The decision to make Terra sinking was mine and Q's, after asking Wend if he was ok with it. The intention was certainly NOT to stop you from entering - I would never have done it if I thought that it would give HU a flagsit for Terra.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jan 23, 2012 1:05:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

Heisenberg's Uncertainty neither was nor is party to the way that Legacy or Wend handled this situation.

The drop was motivated to oppose Legacy's consistent actions such as brigand king shielding, event shielding, island paving, Safe Zoning, arrogance and abuse of power, hypocritical and manipulative forum post to spin actions, etc., etc. We deprived Stone Soup of the opportunity to defend as a third party and as a curtesy to our ally Stone Soup we alerted them of this potential course of our action.

We did not ask ANYONE for ANY favors or terms or anything. Legacy's choice to return our war declaration was not known to us until after it happened. I actually booched when I initially played round-2 as if it was sinking until a smart SO told me, it was not yet effective. Only then did we sent in a frig with 32 and a brig with 16 to minimize RM's positive incline to carry the round.

I do have chat-logs with Avienda (that she does not allow me to post, she likes to keep her private face out of public view) where she stated, I am paraphrasing, that "Wend asked for mercy on your behalf in this war so we will not hunt you and accept a truce when you send it."

Avienda: You spin and manipulate; Wend does not have authority to speak on our behalf, and he may not have done so.

Brisky and Qvintus: You are both muted as a result of surprisingly similar uncivil conversations that we had this weekend. We have different styles and standards of conduct and only know of each other (so misunderstands are to be expected): I play by Atropa's rule #1 (have a look at Terra dock, it is posted there) and I respect your choice to do as you please, no need to either lecture me or threaten my flag.

RiddleMaker: We enjoyed round-2 the most when you were on the board ... as your beautiful bnav did teach us.

Move-Spy: I appologize to the RM frig navigator for my failure to inform you of the presence of a move-spy on your ship. This spy was NOT operating on our behalf, I was stunned when it happened, kept the information to myself (I was not bnaving). Should this happen in the future I will (a) report that person immediately and (b) inform the opposing bnav that s/he has a move-spy on his/her ship. I am sorry that I did not have the presence of mind to do these things when they happened.

EDIT: 1. Wording, 2. toned down insults, and 3. removed insults.
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Sverdrup at Jan 23, 2012 8:54:44 AM]
[Jan 23, 2012 8:34:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skater9029

Eh, I don't blame HU for anything at Terra, you all were throwing things together last minute just like us. Good 'cade.
Joncole
On all oceans.

[Jan 23, 2012 10:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Welcome to the No Spin Zone with Sver Oreilly
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Jan 23, 2012 11:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karal5

He's so full of himself, it stopped being shocking.
Nag, Illi
[Jan 23, 2012 12:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

Failing to see how Sver's post is at all full of himself.
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Jan 23, 2012 12:24:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Its not. He is.
LoLune

[Jan 23, 2012 12:37:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

Lune, the only thing you do nowadays is post on the forums acting as if you're smarter than everyone else and they're all too thick to see it. Your head is so far up your ass whatever Sverdrup says is at the height of modesty in comparison.
Elfeesh

[Jan 23, 2012 12:41:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

We arent debating me, were debating sver. Stick with the program pretty plox.
But im not acting, btw : /
Guess im just smarter. Still lubs joo feeshie
LoLune

[Jan 23, 2012 12:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

I think you're missing the base point here. You're full of self-importance and for that reason, any comments you have on another persons character, particularly one that is much more an admirable person than you, I hereby declare void and nullified. Once you pull your fist out of your ass I'll revoke this statement.
Elfeesh

[Jan 23, 2012 12:57:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Thats not even fair. You know its only there to keep you out :(
LoLune

[Jan 23, 2012 1:01:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karal5

Stop taking digs at luney>< He's the nicest human being alive. And you please read that post again feeshy, you'll see for yourself why he's so full of himself. He makes Dahl look like a funny chipmunk.
Nag, Illi
[Jan 23, 2012 1:39:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
the_rock99

The man posts a decent post and you take a dig at him and assume hes full of himself.

Do you guys not get enough attention at home? You've gotta dig on decent people to feel important?
Greatness.
Better than you.
[Jan 23, 2012 3:03:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Heisenberg's Uncertainty neither was nor is party to the way that Legacy or Wend handled this situation.

The drop was motivated to oppose Legacy's consistent actions such as brigand king shielding, event shielding, island paving, Safe Zoning, arrogance and abuse of power, hypocritical and manipulative forum post to spin actions, etc., etc. We deprived Stone Soup of the opportunity to defend as a third party and as a curtesy to our ally Stone Soup we alerted them of this potential course of our action.

We did not ask ANYONE for ANY favors or terms or anything. Legacy's choice to return our war declaration was not known to us until after it happened. I actually booched when I initially played round-2 as if it was sinking until a smart SO told me, it was not yet effective. Only then did we sent in a frig with 32 and a brig with 16 to minimize RM's positive incline to carry the round.

I do have chat-logs with Avienda (that she does not allow me to post, she likes to keep her private face out of public view) where she stated, I am paraphrasing, that "Wend asked for mercy on your behalf in this war so we will not hunt you and accept a truce when you send it."

Avienda: You spin and manipulate; Wend does not have authority to speak on our behalf, and he may not have done so.

Brisky and Qvintus: You are both muted as a result of surprisingly similar uncivil conversations that we had this weekend. We have different styles and standards of conduct and only know of each other (so misunderstands are to be expected): I play by Atropa's rule #1 (have a look at Terra dock, it is posted there) and I respect your choice to do as you please, no need to either lecture me or threaten my flag.

RiddleMaker: We enjoyed round-2 the most when you were on the board ... as your beautiful bnav did teach us.

Move-Spy: I appologize to the RM frig navigator for my failure to inform you of the presence of a move-spy on your ship. This spy was NOT operating on our behalf, I was stunned when it happened, kept the information to myself (I was not bnaving). Should this happen in the future I will (a) report that person immediately and (b) inform the opposing bnav that s/he has a move-spy on his/her ship. I am sorry that I did not have the presence of mind to do these things when they happened.

EDIT: 1. Wording, 2. toned down insults, and 3. removed insults.

I must say that more than the hate-spitting towards us, which I'm used to, the way you talk about Wend leaves me quite offended on his behalf.

We returned your wardec because we don't like you, and sinking your ships is very delightful to us. Wend sent me a tell immediately after the blockade and asked me to end the war early. I said that I would discuss it later, as I was busy. The next morning, I had recieved a PM where he once again asked me to end the war early, assuming that you would want that, even though he had not talked to you. I did not reply.

When he logged on that day, he asked me if I had read the PM, and then asked if we would end the war early, and told me that you did not want the war. I said no, which was followed by a rather heated discussion on the matter, despite the fact that Wend and I are good friends.

In the end, I accepted his reasoning that since we had given him Terra as his island (hello Chip and your made up rules), it should be up to him how defenses were run and thus also whether or not wardecs were returned. And since Wend did not want the Terra blockade to be followed by war, I agreed to not hunt HU, and to accept the truce when you send it. (Obviously, if you don't truce when you are able to, that might change.)

Given the trouble he went through to get the war ended (noone likes to argue with a friend and I was in a bad mood, and might have been overly hostile, making it worse - I'm sorry, Wend), as well as the fact that he picked up a large part of the bill for your blockade and basically arranged so that you would win Terra, I think that the way you talk about him (in your forum posts, but even more so in the tells you sent me) is respectless and ungrateful, to say the least.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Jan 23, 2012 3:25:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 43   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates