• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 44367 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Hermes
Developer

Uniting the Oceans! Reply to this Post

Ahoy, mates!

As you may have already guessed from the recent journal entries of Velasco Thorsson, intrepid explorer, we have some momentous news: early next year, we will be connecting certain oceans, allowing you to sail between them!

We've been working on a way to consolidate the game's oceans for quite some time now, and after much deliberation, we determined that the fairest way to go about this is to combine the geographies of two oceans on one server. This means that the six English oceans will soon become three large oceans. Players from both existing oceans will be able to play together and explore the archipelagos of either ocean.

Here is what this means for you:
  • There will be more pirates available to fill ships on your ocean.
  • You will have a massive new area to explore, settle, memorize, and conquer!
  • A larger share of incoming new players will be set loose upon your ocean.
  • This will not affect any of your property. You will keep your home and everything your pirates own. All flags will keep any islands they currently hold.
  • We have requisitioned shiny new server hardware specifically for this purpose, so that these larger oceans will run as smoothly as ever.
  • You can help us name each of the new oceans! Please use this poll to send us your suggestions.
You are sure to have more specific questions about how all of this will work, especially with regards to how we will deal with your pirate's name and other stats. To that end, we've attached a rather extensive FAQ below that has more details on the process, as well as answers to other questions you may have.

We love Puzzle Pirates, and uniting the oceans is part of our continued commitment to maximize the player experience. Today marks the eighth anniversary of the launch of Puzzle Pirates, and we look forward to many more exciting years of new content and pushing the limits of what the game can be! To that point, we'd like to thank everyone for supporting Puzzle Pirates and Three Rings over the years. Your enthusiasm for the game is the reason we do what we do here. There be many more leagues to sail, mates, so let's have at it!

- The Puzzle Pirates Team

(Have questions that aren't addressed by the FAQ below? Head on over to the discussion thread on Parley.)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hermes at Dec 8, 2011 2:49:28 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 2:43:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Ocean Unification FAQ Reply to this Post

Q: Which oceans are merging?
A: Midnight will merge with Cobalt, Viridian with Malachite, and Sage with Hunter. Opal and Jade will not be affected by this in any way.

Q: When will this happen?
A: If all goes smoothly in testing, we plan to merge the oceans early in January 2012. This may get delayed if we discover any issues that need addressing, but we will keep you apprised of the exact date once we have one.

Q: What happens to pirates, crews and flags with the same name? Who gets priority?
A: For pirates, crews, and flags, whoever created the name first will be given priority. If a rename is required, the suffix "-East" or "-West" will be appended, depending on which ocean the source pirate, crew, or flag is associated with.

Q: What if I don't like what my name was changed to?
A: Pirate renames will be added to the Rogue Mark Shop, and anyone who was automatically renamed will be granted a rename, free of charge. The free rename will also be granted to affected flags and crews. Please note that renaming your pirate will not work if you are currently participating in a tournament or competition. Once renamed, your old name will continue to be reserved until the next server reboot.

Q: How much will pirate renames normally cost from the Rogue Mark Shop?
A: 30 Rogue Marks.

Q: Can I keep my pirate name with "-East" or "-West" at the end if I prefer that, or do I have to rename?
A: You may keep the suffix, if you like; you are not required to rename your pirates.

Q: What if the pirate on the other ocean with my name is inactive?
A: If the other pirate has not logged in for 2 or more years, the name will be given to the active player. This information only applies at the time of the ocean merger. Our ongoing policy regarding dormant pirate names will not change.

Q: If I own both pirates, can I change which one has priority?
A: You can submit a petition from your older pirate and request a name change. This may not happen immediately, however, as the Ocean Masters will try to wait until you are online to make the change. In these cases, please be sure to use your complementary rename to reclaim the name as soon as possible so you don't lose the name to someone else.

Q: What if we both own houses on the same island?
A: There will be no duplicated islands, so this will not be an issue.

Q: What happens to allies if two flags have the same name?
A: The newer flag will have a suffix appended. They will still be completely separate entities, and their allies will be preserved.

Q: What happens with outstanding Doubloon Exchange offers at the time of merge?
A: All doubloon and PoE offers will be cleared before the oceans are merged.

Q: If the price of doubloons changes after the merge, can I get a refund since my doubloons/PoE are not worth as much now?
A: We will not be offering any refunds for trades made on the Doubloon Exchange.

Q: Will the other ocean's flags be able to blockade our islands? When?
A: Blockades will be turned off for a month after the merge. After a month, they will again be opened up and islands will once again be available for blockade from anyone on the new ocean. Exactly how this will affect BK blockades and scuttling is still to be determined.  

Q: I have three pirates on each of the merged oceans. Will I still be able to access all of them?
A: All 6 pirates will be available to you when you log in. You will only be able to create a new pirate there, however, if you have fewer than 3 pirates on that ocean.

Q: What happens if two ships have the same name after the ocean merge?
A: This will be allowed, and their names will not be changed. Ship rename requests submitted through the Rogue Mark Shop will still need to be unique, though.

Q: What happens to Brigand King strength?
A: Brigand Kings that exist at the time of the merge will retain their strength. The strength of new Brigand King appearances will be be dynamically adjusted based on the performance of the merged ocean as a whole.

Q: What happens to standings and reputations? An ultimate on Malachite is not equal to an ultimate on Viridian. What about flag fame, crew fame, and crew notoriety?
A: Your history and internal score will be retained, but the standing will now be relative to everyone on the merged ocean. The standings will be recalculated in the next normal overnight cycle.

Q: What happens to the top lists and #1 trophies?
A: Top lists will be recreated at next cycle. All previously earned trophies are retained.

Q: What happens to commodity spawn rates, trinket values and tax rates?
A: These will be reset to defaults and will auto-adjust to appropriate values.

Q: Will there be any changes to fruit and gems?
A: There are no plans to make any changes.  

Q: Will the Navy sail inter-ocean routes? Will we be able to memorize inter-ocean routes?
A: Inter-ocean routes behave just like inter-archipelago routes.

Q: Can I merge my memorization from two pirates who each have their old ocean memorized?
A: This will not be possible.

Q: The navigation portrait items are based on the percentage of the ocean that is memorized - will having achieved 99%+ stick around or will I lose the ability to hold that item? Will new trophies require many more league points to be memorized before the trophy is awarded?
A: The portrait items will now be based on the new total. Old portraits are unaffected, but new ones will require full memorization of the merged ocean.

Q: Will existing SMH maps at the time of pre-merge-shutdown transfer over?
A: These will transfer.

Q: Will there be an opportunity to change the names of the oceans?
A: Yes! We're looking for player ideas for the names of the new connected oceans. You can submit your ideas to us using this poll.

Q: Will we be able to test this before it's released?
A: To help iron out any potential issues and to give everyone a chance to provide feedback on the merge before it takes place, we are planning to make testing versions of the merged oceans available. These will run alongside the current oceans, but the test oceans will only be available for a limited time, after which they will be removed. Once we're satisfied with the state of the test oceans, we'll proceed with the official merge. We'll have more info on the testing process in a future announcement.

Q: What if I have a question that wasn't answered here?
A: Please post your question in the discussion thread here.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Prometheus at Feb 9, 2012 5:44:23 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 2:43:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Re: Ocean Unification FAQ Reply to this Post

The initial round of nominations has concluded, and the final ocean name poll is now open and awaiting your opinion! The final poll will only be open until 3 PM PST on Friday, December 16th, so vote early and tell your hearties to do the same!
[Dec 14, 2011 2:09:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

The results are in and the new combined oceans will be called...

Midnight/Cobalt ---> Cerulean
Viridian/Malachite ---> Meridian
Sage/Hunter ---> Emerald

Thanks everyone for participating! We will have more info on the testing and availability of these oceans very soon.
[Dec 19, 2011 11:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Testing of the new unified oceans will begin on Wednesday, January 4th, 2012. At that time, you'll be able to access the merged oceans from your regular game client.

A few things to note for this upcoming test...
  • The new oceans will initially be open for testing purposes only, and all progress that occurs on them will be cleared before the official merge!
  • The test doubloon oceans will be temporarily set as subscriber during testing to prevent doubloons from being spent. Everyone on those test oceans will be granted subscriber privileges. Once testing is finished, the ocean will be set to doubloon, as normal.
  • The oceans will only be available for a limited period of time, and may frequently be taken down for updates.
We hope you're as excited about these changes as we are, and we'll see you on the new oceans in the new year!
[Dec 20, 2011 4:16:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates