• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 137706 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
ke1lr

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

First, THANK YOU to OOO for finally doing this. Badly needed.

Posting some sort of map of the merged oceans -- even one that could be clearly labeled as a "DRAFT", would help people get ready for this.

QUESTION: Will it be possible to submit a petition or other request to transfer the assets from my clone on Cobalt to my Midnight pirate in advance of the merge? I'm thinking of a request which would read like "Please move all tradeable items and poe from pirate X on Cobalt to pirate X on Midnight and then DELETE the Cobalt pirate" so I can simply avoid the rename issue.

This way, the player would get the choice as to which pirate clone to sacrifice and it would also reduce the inevitable blizzard of rename requests after the transition.

Daedalus
----------------------------------------
Daedalus [ Cerulean, Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Crimson ]
Captain of Midnight's The Cartographers.
Prince of Crimson Tide
Lazylubber says, "think you can drive something this small?"
[Dec 8, 2011 4:50:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ke1lr    ke1lr [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Will the various ocean parleys be merged?
Anchovia
[Dec 8, 2011 4:52:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saintdiana

re name length: would "east" and "west" be short-lived tags, or would they be forced into pirate names? i made quite a point of creating an owlwhisperer on each ocean, would i get an owlwhispeast on the viridian, sage and cobalt "halves", and owlwhispwest on the others, having 2- # months to petition which to keep? would length be increased to 16 (i hope not)?

re #1 trophies: i also made a point of getting #1 carpentry just about everywhere, and when lacking other activity, i'm working on the same for rigging. i would most certainly object to having them removed, as they tell a story. what i'd suggest instead is modifying the graphics with rust, dust, ice or any other add-on that might suggest the passage of time over the trophy, and leave it to each pirate to create a box title saying where and when they got it. when the new oceans are up and the ranks updated, the current graphics could be used again.

re pre-merge transfers: that sounds like a lot of OM work...
~ owlwhisperer ~
[Dec 8, 2011 4:59:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Also, for the names issue a good solution would be to protect established players names, and the first player to log in (or send a PM from their account with the desired pirate to an ocean master if they cannot be online for some reason) gets the name. The other would have to rename their pirate.

This means that whoever is lucky enough to log on first-- probably someone in the UK or on the east coast-- gets it. I would rather go with age
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 8, 2011 4:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
awright

Since the oceans will be renamed (and run by new server hardware as mentioned in herme's post) I am assuming the old oceans' parleys will be locked, archived, and the new ocean's parleys opened.
-barcium

Original Huntard
[Dec 8, 2011 5:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flinxpp

Since the oceans are being connected, will there be a Canal with a lock like the Panama Canal? There could be something developed with the canal?
[Dec 8, 2011 5:01:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

I definitely think it has positives though, such as the increased amount of islands that Mala has been anticipating for a while. Having said this though, as many come on Mala for it's size (which a lot of us do); won't making a huge ocean just defeat the point of the ocean for a large proportion of us?

Do you mean an increased amount of islands as in them opening them or a increased amount of islands by just combining Viridian's islands and Malachites? Because opening any islands would be a god awful idea, because I do not know about Malachite, but Viridian needs less open islands.

Since were doing a overhaul of YPP oceans. Can we please make the changes to poker and SMH that people have been bitching about for years?
Captainrich
[Dec 8, 2011 5:04:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nauarchos7

How shall the names such as those of myself and my brethren be undertaken?
Nauarchos of Emerald.
Various other Atlanteans on various other oceans.
[Dec 8, 2011 5:05:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Shawe wrote: 
You've decided to merge oceans and your list basically merges the #1 Pauper (Mala) with the #1 Prince (Viridian). Hence, players that chose the "hard road" to play on Viridian from day one - where everything is more expensive and takes more time in the game to get, will now be curved out with the under-achievers of the game that play on the joke ocean where everything is worth nothing?

Maybe OOO should consider getting out of the video game industry all together, and offer your services as Social-Economic advisers to the Obama administration. Honestly, as someone who's been playing all sorts of video games for over 20 years, it's hard to think of a bigger failure that I've heard of. The Nintendo Wii comes to mind, and is close... but at least you could play Excite Bike on that.

This is outstanding satire of a rage post. I enjoyed it. :)
Shawe wrote: 
On top of the already stated, how does this "solution" address the 1,000 pound gorilla in the middle of OOO studio - the fact that the influx of new players to the game isn't enough to sustain those that are leaving?

Since one of the most immediate problems was giving the old and new players enough players to play the game, combining oceans is a good way to slow the loss of old players and give new players a better chance to find activity. And this gives players who didn't play both oceans something genuinely new to explore.

They picked a method that preserves everything except ocean separation, even shared pirate names. Would you prefer it if the underpopulated oceans were shut down or starved to death? If anything, the biggest problem with the merge is it didn't happen sooner.
On hiatus. :(
[Dec 8, 2011 5:15:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I just wish I could opt for all of Malachite Jolyma's stuff to merge with Viridian Jolyma's stuff, and MalaJoly go poof. I won't really have a need for both Jolymas.

I completely agree with what Jolyma says here; I rarely play my Malachite account anymore, yet i have over half the ocean memorized -- and all of Viridian. It would be nice to be able to "merge" the two so I don't have to redo every fleeping dang thing I did on Mala.

Regarding my Sage/Hunter accounts, my mains don't have the same name; however, when I set up my original Hunter account, I wasn't aware one could reuse the same name on another ocean, so she has a completely different name.
I'd like to merge those two as well, but who's to say. And both of those have abt 68% of their respective oceans memorized.

Just to be clear, the memming thing doesn't bother me, I love navigation. I'm just lazy and I don't want to have to actually TRADE all that stuff to myself :) MalaJoly will eventually end up deleted once the merge happens, since she's rather unnecessary if ViridianJoly can get there.
Jolyma

[Dec 8, 2011 5:15:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I was thinking of Sapphire for Midnight/Cobalt, but it's also the name of an arch =/
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Dec 8, 2011 5:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Sounds good. Rename Midnight/Cobalt Azure.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Dec 8, 2011 5:18:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

I wish this was 4/1/2012 so I could read this, think about it for a second, and then laugh at the clever joke. Sadly, I'm 99.99% certain you're serious about this - which makes me laugh in a completely different manner.

You've decided to merge oceans and your list basically merges the #1 Pauper (Mala) with the #1 Prince (Viridian). Hence, players that chose the "hard road" to play on Viridian from day one - where everything is more expensive and takes more time in the game to get, will now be curved out with the under-achievers of the game that play on the joke ocean where everything is worth nothing?

Maybe OOO should consider getting out of the video game industry all together, and offer your services as Social-Economic advisers to the Obama administration. Honestly, as someone who's been playing all sorts of video games for over 20 years, it's hard to think of a bigger failure that I've heard of. The Nintendo Wii comes to mind, and is close... but at least you could play Excite Bike on that.

So - Viridian players after this update happens expect to login and all your items and belongings will be worth ~10% of what they were previously worth and watch the mass sales of fams and ships happen when Mala players move over and their items are worth around 500% what they're currently valued at.

On top of the already stated, how does this "solution" address the 1,000 pound gorilla in the middle of OOO studio - the fact that the influx of new players to the game isn't enough to sustain those that are leaving? Best case scenario is that the Viridian population goes from 750 average to 1250 average (assuming that there's no cross-population between servers, which there is... to a large degree). So in another year as more and more people leave the game (aside from the current set of players that will be extremely upset at this poor decision that leave immediately) - next December Viridian is back to having a player base of 750 players if SEGA hasn't decided to kill the game by then.

Like I said - I wish this was a joke. Feel free to compare my analysis to your own oceans that will be merged - I only really care about the Viridian merge here because that's where I play, but you're looking at the same thing across the board.

Thanks for the early Christmas present/announcement OOO - will definitely help me make up my mind about how much YPP I'll be playing in 2012.

Your sense of entitlement makes me happy to see that you will be not playing that much after this decision.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Dec 8, 2011 5:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
ke1lr

Sounds good. Rename Midnight/Cobalt Azure.

This.

:-)
Daedalus [ Cerulean, Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Crimson ]
Captain of Midnight's The Cartographers.
Prince of Crimson Tide
Lazylubber says, "think you can drive something this small?"
[Dec 8, 2011 5:25:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ke1lr    ke1lr [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Just to be clear, the memming thing doesn't bother me, I love navigation. I'm just lazy and I don't want to have to actually TRADE all that stuff to myself :) MalaJoly will eventually end up deleted once the merge happens, since she's rather unnecessary if ViridianJoly can get there.

Undestand completely. I, too, enjoy duty nav, but it's frustrating that I put in all that work and have to do it all over again. Trading doesn't bother me; oddly. I've thought that once the merger happens, I'll trade all her stuff (furni, ships, pets, etc.), then let her go bye-bye.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Dec 8, 2011 5:28:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Amyrosee wrote: 
Ok so for the pirate names , Just because someone's account have been older then mine give him the advantage to keep his name while i get my name changed .

And with what shawe said i 100% agree.

You still keep your name, there's just an East or West at the end of it.
On hiatus. :(
[Dec 8, 2011 5:29:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
awright

99.9999% of people would hate to have an "East" or "West" tacked to the end of their names. That would not only be incredibly annoying to have knowing that you have your pirate's name on both oceans(or even if you don't, just being an established player it would be annoying to have some other *insert your name here* *opposite compass direction here* running around), but I immagine ooo has a much better solution to this already.
-barcium

Original Huntard
[Dec 8, 2011 5:34:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Q: What if I don't like what my name was changed to?
A: Pirate renames will be added to the Rogue Mark Shop, and anyone who was automatically renamed will be granted a rename, free of charge. The free rename will also be granted to affected flags and crews. Please note that renaming your pirate will not work if you are currently participating in a tournament or competition. Once renamed, your old name will continue to be reserved until the next server reboot.

If people don't like their eastwest, they can change their name for free.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Dec 8, 2011 5:38:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

I'd like to suggest each pirate gets a trophy to commemorate the original ocean they came from once the mergers happen.

This should deffinatly happen. Huntard and proud!

I want demand to be a Malakitten.

And this is very exciting. It sounds like it's been well thought out, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things go!
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Dec 8, 2011 5:42:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Absolutely awesome OOO. Thank you for working this out. The only thing that could have been done better is for you to have shared the concept during development... it would have saved a lot of sore fingertips from all the ranting in Parley. :)

That being said, I have a couple questions I didn't see in FAQ - I've seen a couple of them asked here, but not answered yet; so...

I currently have 36 labor hours among my 3 pirates-per-account on Cobalt, with another 36 labor hours among my 3 pirates-per-account on Midnight. When they merge, since I can keep all 6 pirates on the merged account, do I get 72 labor hours, or am I losing 50% of my labor capability?

Since the markets will be reset to a default value, will exisitng bid tickets at the time of the merge (a) be cancelled with a full refund to the bidders; (2) be auto-filled; (iii) be unaffected, and we just have to take out chances?

Since the markets will be reset to a default value, will the values set in the market interface in shops/stalls and palaces/forts be reset as well, or will they retain the values currently progammed by the managers? If they are reset, will the Buy/Sell be turned off so that the manager/owner doesn't get screwed by not logging in for a day or two?

If buildings are under constuction at the time of the merger, will they be affected?

Will the merger affect war declarations?

What happens if after the merged adjustment to fame levels, an island holding flag no longer has the necessary fame for the island they hold?

I'm certain I am forgetting something that I wanted to ask, but I appreciate your taking the time to address player concerns. Thanks again.

Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Dec 8, 2011 5:48:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Krylix19

Red Sea , White Water, Deep Blue.

Very americanized. I mean no offense to any international players.
Krylix on all oceans.
[Dec 8, 2011 5:58:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie61

is this correct?: I have 3 pirates in what I consider my "main" account on both Midnight and Cobalt. After the merger I will have 6 pirates, namely Armillaria, Moosetears, and Disarrm on Midnight and Armillaria, Moosetears and Whiterotroot on Cobalt. Armillaria & Moosetears on Cobalt will be given a suffix but the Midnight pirates, having priority, will not.

questions:
I also have 5 other accounts, some of which I have subscribed in the past or am subscribing now. One of the pirates in an account previously subscribed was transferred from my daughter's account. (This caused some of the pirates to lose the use of the backsword - will this give me a chance to fix that?)

Will I be able to transfer Armillaria-suffix (or any other pirate, for that matter, to a different account that I own if it contains less than 3 pirates (since pirates on the same account cannot be roommates without a 3rd pirate in a different account acting as host to both)?

Will new accounts being created after the merger contain only 3 pirates? If so, how will the labor hours be addressed?(a similar question was asked in a previous post)
Armillaria on all oceans
SO Moose of Doom, Cerulean

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
[Dec 8, 2011 6:12:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

What happens if after the merged adjustment to fame levels, an island holding flag no longer has the necessary fame for the island they hold?

There's no fame requirement for owning or defending an island. You only need flag fame when attacking an island, or getting one transferred to you.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stephensam at Dec 8, 2011 6:15:27 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 6:14:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

Will buying the box edition of Puzzle Pirates still be a viable option if someone is able to find one anymore or will the ability to buy and use the code for backswords and savvy hats become nonexsistant?
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 8, 2011 6:16:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Will buying the box edition of Puzzle Pirates still be a viable option if someone is able to find one anymore or will the ability to buy and use the code for backswords and savvy hats become nonexsistant?

Why would this change at all with an ocean merger...
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Dec 8, 2011 6:19:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
dionyza

Midnight/Cobalt - Lapis
Viridian/Malachite - Aventurine
Sage/Hunter - Emerald

At least, that's what I went with.

Looking forward to the new chapter.

-T.
Tortie of Sage

Wait - I mean 'of Emerald'

No? How about Obsidian?
[Dec 8, 2011 6:24:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.iasis.net    dionyzae    dionyzae [Link]  Go to top 
pegasiswolf

I ended up going with gemstone names for all my suggestions; Emerald was my choice for "Huntage", Diamond for "Midbalt", and Sapphire for "Viridalichite".

Just putting in my two cents,
Rizzo

i agree that gemstone names are probably the way to go.. however..

if u havent noticed... the subscription oceans have BLUE names midnight ..cobalt.. the doubloon ocean names are all varieties of the color GREEN... sage.. hunter.. malachite.. viridian....

so if sticking with gemstones...

EMERALD is easily a great name for sage/hunter...

SAPPHIRE is an appropriate name for midnight/cobalt

id probably go with something like PERIDOT... for viridian/malachite (even tho malachite IS a gemstone.. i assume thousands of viridians would protest that choice)
Pegasiswolf- Captain of Dream Catchers and Queen of Fleet of Dreams -Emerald

host of XMAS IN JULY event

"maintaining a positive attitude may not fix all of lifes problems, but it should annoy enough ppl to make it worth the effort"
[Dec 8, 2011 6:33:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

99.9999% of people would hate to have an "East" or "West" tacked to the end of their names. That would not only be incredibly annoying to have knowing that you have your pirate's name on both oceans(or even if you don't, just being an established player it would be annoying to have some other *insert your name here* *opposite compass direction here* running around), but I immagine ooo has a much better solution to this already.

I think a good way of separating the two would be with colours, Midnight = navy. Cobalt = blue. as much does for the sub oceans .

Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
Tell me, would you kill to save a life?
[Dec 8, 2011 6:33:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

Why does Hunter/Sage get to be Pokemon Emerald? Why can't Viridian!?!? Huh!?!? WHAI?!?! I wanna be a pokemon too!!
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 8, 2011 6:34:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

I think a good way of separating the two would be with colours of the name, Midnight = navy. Cobalt = blue. as much goes for the sub oceans .

Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
Tell me, would you kill to save a life?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pillyforme at Dec 8, 2011 6:35:43 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 6:34:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates