• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 138803 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
Aloyicious

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

OK, I know there was a partial answer to this at one time, but I really don't have the patience to sift through 84 pages of green ocean/blue ocean debates to try to find an update:

It seems highly likely that my seldom used pirates on Hunter are going to keep their names, and my frequently used pirates on Sage are going to get the suffix. I don't want to delete the Hunter pirates - but I don't want to have to scrape up 90 rogue marks to change all their names simply because of an arbitrary decision made by Three Rings. At one time I read that you could petition the (presumably overworked by then) Ocean masters to swap it around the other way, then you could make you renames. Is that the case, or am I just going to be grumpier than usual?
----------------------------------------
Lillythanne, Aloyicious, and Suzysunshine - mostly on Emerald

Other oceans by request...

and yes - that is my bike...
[Jan 10, 2012 10:19:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

As long as you own both pirates, you can do what you please with them. I'd wait until you see your ocean (as a testing ocean) to petition, since you might be wrong about how they'll be named.

If you don't own both, you'll still get a free rename (if you're stuck with a suffix).

(In other news, I finally understand the point of the trophy cases. They always seemed a bit pointless to me, but post-merge you can use them for your alt(s) if you were active on both oceans. Shiny.)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Jan 11, 2012 12:29:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I have created a map of Meridian, but I neither play on Viridian/Malachite, nor have I ever tried to create a yppedia map before. I suspect there are errors in the chart, so please either fix them, or describe what I did wrong, and I'll try to fix them. I have scripts that will move around the oceans and the locations of the inter-ocean routes, so if things need to be shifted around, I should be able to do that quickly.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jan 11, 2012 7:42:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Now that I see how ridiculously long the Oasis-Flyaway route is, it actually would've been a pretty cool idea to insert an outpost halfway through and open it up for colonization. Maybe not have it spawn wood/iron/sugar cane (used in rum and shot production) or it would be too easy for the holder.
[removed by SOPA]
[Jan 11, 2012 8:49:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Now that I see how ridiculously long the Oasis-Flyaway route is, it actually would've been a pretty cool idea to insert an outpost halfway through and open it up for colonization. Maybe not have it spawn wood/iron/sugar cane (used in rum and shot production) or it would be too easy for the holder.

Well, you could always allow those commods to spawn. They'd only make profit when people don't plan their commods properly before sailing or folks that like pillaging in the middle of the inter-ocean route.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 11, 2012 9:45:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Awesome work on the Meridian Map.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Jan 12, 2012 1:36:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

^^
That.
I can't wait for the Emerald one - see how much more I'll have to do....
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Jan 12, 2012 8:29:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

How are the colors determined for the map? The ichor-olin route is pretty wacky, so I don't even have any similar routes to use for reference. The middle is darker than any mala route, and the olin lp is lighter than any on mala, the combination of which boggles my mind a bit.

Burgundy for the middle of the route? Maybe even black. I'm not sure. O_o

Is there a way to pull the information from the client?

EDIT: Actually, looking at the old map more closely, I'm thinking someone was just winging it anyway. The map colors don't seem to match my in-game map all that closely. Which means we probably just have to guess. :(
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by budclare2 at Jan 12, 2012 10:18:16 AM]
[Jan 12, 2012 10:10:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Thanks, but honestly, it looks like Belthazar451 has done the vast majority of the yppedia work for the mergers. I based the Meridian map off of how Belthazar made the Cerulean map. Belthazar is also the one who has created all the island pages for the merged ocean. Thanks Belthazar!

The only reason I posted the link is because I don't trust my work to be 100% correct and I'm hoping for people to double check it.

How are the colors determined for the map?

It is based on how dark the league points on the in-game charts are. Someone, I forget who, got permission from OOO to muck with some game files to let them determine the exact values.

The middle is darker than any mala route, and the olin lp is lighter than any on mala, the combination of which boggles my mind a bit.

Yeah, these inter-ocean routes look much harder than most routes. It is normal for the colors to vary over route, and (in general), Cobalt/Viridean appear to have much easier routes than Malachite. The route doesn't look that wonky to me.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jan 12, 2012 10:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

How are the colors determined for the map? The ichor-olin route is pretty wacky, so I don't even have any similar routes to use for reference. The middle is darker than any mala route, and the olin lp is lighter than any on mala, the combination of which boggles my mind a bit.

Burgundy for the middle of the route? Maybe even black. I'm not sure. O_o

Is there a way to pull the information from the client?

EDIT: Actually, looking at the old map more closely, I'm thinking someone was just winging it anyway. The map colors don't seem to match my in-game map all that closely. Which means we probably just have to guess. :(

Mind the snark in the thread, but here's an explanation: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=152742
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jan 12, 2012 11:38:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Thanks, Fannon! :)

(Though unfortunately the answer does amount to "it's a pain in the butt to figure out", which is what I was worried about. I suppose whoever did the others will be stuck doing these, too.)

The route doesn't look that wonky to me.

Name one other route that has both extremes. :P
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

[Jan 12, 2012 1:16:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Algol wrote: 
I based the Meridian map off of how Belthazar made the Cerulean map. Belthazar is also the one who has created all the island pages for the merged ocean. Thanks Belthazar!

Belthazar did an amazing job putting the Cerulean map together. But the island pages are actually my work.

They're still in-progress, though. Cerulean is finished. I have 12 remaining on Meridian. And I'm waiting for the Emerald Ocean to be up for testing before starting those.
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Jan 12, 2012 2:09:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

The route doesn't look that wonky to me.

Name one other route that has both extremes. :P

winking wall-diablo, lynx-luthien and Jubilee-oasis are pretty close in the absolute difference. There aren't that many places on any ocean that are as blue as olin's is though. I doubt that the inter-ocean links make it anywhere near as high as those around lynx.
[Jan 12, 2012 2:10:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

There is going to be value in doing some spot checks across the oceans after launch... make sure that no other routes were changed.

Incidentally, would be interesting to see some Ruby type routes in the other oceans...

edit: Has anybody checked whether the extinct routes are being merged in, or if they are being stealthed out?
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by TheRack at Jan 12, 2012 9:46:04 PM]
[Jan 12, 2012 9:43:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

edit: Has anybody checked whether the extinct routes are being merged in, or if they are being stealthed out?
Even though I'm a Cobalt pirate who cannot mem the extinct routes, I'd be sad if they did stealth them out. I don't see any real reason to get rid of them.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Jan 12, 2012 11:59:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Fannon

I *think* I still had the extinct ones on my map, though I was mostly distracted that all of Emerald arch was missing for me, and I wasn't looking specifically for the extinct ones.
Princess of Versus Terminus
Wikipedia Administrator
[Jan 13, 2012 12:37:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Belthazar did an amazing job putting the Cerulean map together. But the island pages are actually my work.

Gah, that's what I get for trusting my memory. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your work.

Speaking of which...

TheRack wrote: 
Has anybody checked whether the extinct routes are being merged in, or if they are being stealthed out?

Yes, earlier in this thread,
Barrister wrote: 
FYI, my extinct league points (Alpha to Winter) show up just fine.

Personally, I wouldn't object to seeing them go... Either that, or make them available to everyone again.
[Jan 13, 2012 4:16:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Even though I'm a Cobalt pirate who cannot mem the extinct routes, I'd be sad if they did stealth them out. I don't see any real reason to get rid of them.

I totally agree! I don't have them mem'd therefore I never will but I think it's really something special for those that do have them mem'd.

Those pirates have been playing for quite a long time and deserve to keep their extinct routes.
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jan 13, 2012 6:03:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morgarth

I checked in on Cerulean on 2nd or 3rd day when the "islands / routes" disappearing issue was happening (I lost Jet).

I do have all the old extinct points memmed and they were showing up on the new merged map.

I didn't try to set course using any of them so I can't vouch they work.

As for should they go or be kept ... it's a little bit of old Azure / Midnight history being carried over... so there's some continuity to keeping them.

They don't break the game being active - and there are many other things that can and should be fixed before these are wiped from existence.

Jacobey
(mostly retired)
[Jan 13, 2012 2:31:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

wrs1864b wrote: 
Thanks, but honestly, it looks like Belthazar451 has done the vast majority of the yppedia work for the mergers.

While I'm happy to claim all the credit, I've mostly just been standing at the back cracking the whip. All I've done is the Cerulean map and then the long hard slog of transferring the Midnight maps over.

... And now you've gone and stolen the two fun maps remaining. Hiss. The maps are mine. =P
[Jan 17, 2012 9:19:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

This brings up a question I haven't seen anywhere-- are any of the archipelago colors being changed? I forsee some issues with, say, purchasing maps in the inn if you don't know which of the red/blue/whatever archipelagos is that particular shade-- especially if you're buying from someone who's inexperienced enough to not have a clue how the world map works.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 18, 2012 4:12:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I've raised the question, though not somewhere you can see. =)

Haven't received a response yet, though...

Edit: Specifically, Meridian has one pair of arches with the same colour star, Cerulean has two, and Emerald has six. Granted, Emerald is the ocean which now has the greatest number of arches, but that's all of them save three that share a colour. And two of the remaining ones are kinda similar. Poor Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Jan 18, 2012 1:26:18 PM]
[Jan 18, 2012 1:21:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

To be fair, how many colours are there, anyway?
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Jan 18, 2012 5:16:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Thirty-eight. Minimum.
[Jan 18, 2012 5:45:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PirateYoHo90

Emerald is open :)
(im too lazy to type up that whole welcome sign)

EDIT: i was just wondering, did they say that we could add our alts as roomies to trade possessions with ourselves?? I tried to add my alt as a roomie but it didnt really work.
Tinycat on Cerulean
Disclaimer: I purposely bring drama into peaceful conversations.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PirateYoHo90 at Jan 19, 2012 9:12:49 AM]
[Jan 19, 2012 9:06:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Seems Emerald has reverted back to the beginning of the ocean again. Have any noticeable changes been made?
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Jan 19, 2012 6:56:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Other than the announcement that Emerald was moved to a faster server, no, it's reverted to the original startup configuration. So everyone who had the interocean charts already would need to get them again :-)
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Jan 19, 2012 9:53:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Considering how long Cerulean and Meridian were up, can we expect to see Emerald go down in the next two to three days? And if that is the case, does that mean we can expect the launch of the merged oceans soon? I don't think I can expect an official answer but I'd like to see others' take on it.
[removed by SOPA]
[Jan 22, 2012 10:57:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

I'd like to see some more testing of oceans done before the actual merger happens. Perhaps starting by putting Cerulean back up to see if everything is rolling the way it should be. I'd also expect that an announcement of an official date of the merger would be likely, as without one blockading flags would probably complain. Lots.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Jan 22, 2012 11:08:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Considering how long Cerulean and Meridian were up, can we expect to see Emerald go down in the next two to three days? And if that is the case, does that mean we can expect the launch of the merged oceans soon? I don't think I can expect an official answer but I'd like to see others' take on it.

Looking at the known bug list and how long it's taking them to squish every one, my expectation is for one more bugfix release, taking down Emerald and bringing back Cerulean. But that's just a vaguely informed guess, I wouldn't actually put money on it.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jan 22, 2012 3:24:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates