• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 138720 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
kenjennings

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

Rather than hijack this thread to address your "bug fixes", I'll just direct you to Game Design and let you decide whether you want to submit it for shredding there.
----------------------------------------
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 28, 2011 6:01:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Let fix alot of the bugs while the Merger happens...

No.

Let's hope OOO can get the merger done right in the one shot they have and not introduce a bunch of bugs. There are a huge number of things that could go wrong and not be noticed until it is too late to easily fix.

As an example, what is OOO doing about the VID's associated with each ship? How many people even know about VID's or how to find the VID's of their ships? The VID's has at least one (minor) impact on how the ship handles. Will OOO give all the ships one one ocean newer (higher) VID's with their (minor) performance handicap? Or, will OOO try to merge the VIDs? If so, how? What if there are other things that the VID's have an impact on that are more major?

Databases and programs tend to have a lot of subtle, implicit assumptions that even the original programmers hadn't realized. If the oceans are merged wrong, some of those assumptions could be broken and the results might not show up until days, weeks, or even months later. You could end up with pirates disappearing and the only choices OOO has is rolling back the oceans and re-doing the mergers the right way, or try and fix the problem after a lot of damage has been done.

No, I do not want OOO doing other changes at the same time. I'm not at all surprised that OOO appears to have been working on ocean mergers for the better part of a year. This is the kind of programming project that all too often looks vastly simpler than it really is.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 28, 2011 6:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I wouldn't exactly call those "bugs" but rather... your wishes.

Bugs would be the blue screen of gunning death, or the booch foraging report if you fail to clear additional pieces after crates (or "This session has not been rated" yet your standing has just gone down)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Dec 28, 2011 11:16:49 PM]
[Dec 28, 2011 11:16:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaliman79912

I know this must been mentioned a few times, but the thread has become huge and I can't go through it all.

My biggest concern is the name of the pirate, on the other ocean there is a pirate with same name that has not logged in for about 18 months. I am captain of my crew with almost 200 trophies, not to mention my own website with my pirate name and other issues.

I think the criteria for deciding who gets the name should not be just the seniority or the 2 years inactive. If he has not logged in since summer 2010 and has a minimal pirate, I call the right to keep my name.
Serenity and patience... lots of patience.
[Dec 29, 2011 9:36:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kaliman.net [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Do bare in mind mates that a name change doesn't have to be a severe one. Even if you don't get your name, you could just stick an extra letter in there somewhere. I don't think anybody ever got confused by who Rreeves is on Hunter.

I understand that people prefer to keep their names exactly how they are, but it isn't too bad. Maybe OOO will make exceptions from time to time.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Dec 30, 2011 5:02:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I think the criteria for deciding who gets the name should not be just the seniority or the 2 years inactive. If he has not logged in since summer 2010 and has a minimal pirate, I call the right to keep my name.

Personally, I would like to see more priority given to the pirate that has played the most (most total experience) also. It is far too easy to just log into old foraging alts once before the merger and bump the mains of people who have actually played a lot.

Something like:

* if both pirates haven't logged in in the last year, mark both with -east or -west and free up the name for new pirates.

* If one pirate has logged in the last year but the other hasn't, give priority to that pirate.

* If both pirates have logged in in the last year, but one has more than twice the puzzling experience as the other, give the name to that pirate.

* if both pirates have logged in in the last year and they both have fairly equal puzzling time (within a factor of two), give the name to whichever pirate was created first.

Basically, the more established and active you are, the more right to the name you should have. Old alts and people who aren't playing in any meaningful way shouldn't trump someone's main.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 30, 2011 5:30:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
5017A

i think #1 in any puzzle prior to the merge deserves a prize, even if it were a memorable trinket, you'd see plenty of action early 2012.
[Dec 30, 2011 5:58:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Texasborn

As this thread has grown very long due to some great discussions and I have limited time I will post my opinion and hope it either supports something that has been said or brings fresh light to the thread.

I have limited experience with MMOs beta testing and the likes, but one thing I have learned is that is the time for folks to log on as much as possible. I have heard from a few who don't want to spend their time on something that will be wiped anyway, but let me assure you, that is what each of us needs to do. If only a handful test the merge what will happen when 500 of us log on to see the real deal? None of us wants bug issues, fixes, delays. The beta testing is THE time to try and crash the server, so to speak.

Just my opinion and thinking.
Texasborn
Captain of Titan's Rebirth
Monarch of Golden Destiny
Tex's music box
[Dec 30, 2011 8:33:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

i think #1 in any puzzle prior to the merge deserves a prize, even if it were a memorable trinket, you'd see plenty of action early 2012.

I think a better option would be to introduce new #1 trophies on the new oceans. It will be more of an accomplishment to win #1 on the merged oceans than it has been to win them on the individual oceans. Heck, they could just be the same trophies, but with the new ocean's color prominently featured in the art.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Dec 30, 2011 10:11:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

The beta testing is THE time to try and crash the server, so to speak.

No ifs, ands, or buts; this is gospel truth.

Long post warning; if you think it's tl;dr, then skip, but if you plan to test the merge, please read regardless.

I used to work for a software company, as system administrator, DBA, and second level tech support, but when the company was doing beta testing of new versions of the software, my knowledge of key issues that came in to the support group paid big dividends.

I would take the knottiest problems that we'd had to deal with in support (read: 50% plus of our support calls) and try to recreate that problem in the new version of the software.

In fact, the company at one point bought a competing package (same type of software, but a different market: UK vs US), and I was told I'd have to learn it to support it, so I threw my knotty problems from the support history at the software as i learned it, and found some issues that if I'd been working pre-release test of that product, would have prevented its release.

So, yes, Beta is key, because beta is where you, the customer, do your usual stuff, and if the game doesn't work under normal playing conditions, bug it; no matter how small the problem is.

Special note: When you file a bug report, I suggest from my background as an old software/support hand, put as much detail into your bug reports as is allowed. You never know what trivial bit of information provides the clue the devs need to isolate what needs to be fixed.

Edited to fix a couple of typos :-)
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Dec 30, 2011 3:10:52 PM]
[Dec 30, 2011 3:08:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
5017A

I think a better option would be to introduce new #1 trophies on the new oceans. It will be more of an accomplishment to win #1 on the merged oceans than it has been to win them on the individual oceans. Heck, they could just be the same trophies, but with the new ocean's color prominently featured in the art.

I never said anything about trophies. Trinkets similar to the old Sea Battle exp/rank ones would be nice
[Dec 30, 2011 8:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Bug Fixes ....

1. you can quit as a stall manger, without waiting to be fired by the Owner.
2. you can gift Wrap , Pets , cloths, Ship's deeds , as well as just frunture as it is now.
3. Triple the Navy pay.
4. change Crew halls / Flag halls so lower ranks in the crew/flag can invite guests into them, (like low as a rate rank- this DEARLY needs to be done).
5. change ships sets so , you can select names of 1 or 2 or your crew can sail them in locked status( maybe just one or two.)
((you do something like this with houses , like a roomate,so it should be possiable to set up ships like this))
6. and the banks on the islands, reopen, setting up accounts, in them, so a CREW, or FLag
could have Crew
or Flag Fund in them, so
like all seniors and captains could have a way to use it. with one pirate having to hold the funds. or it being on a ship's hold ... (this is also longggg over due ..)
7. also trophy's for Pirates of 50 pillys , 100 pillys, 150 pillys , etc ..
8. change the " who " infor given when someone "whos " you to cut down on the way you can be " stalked " on the game.

I got more, but thats enough for now ... Posting this knowing I will get alot on bad replys, for the Peanut Gallery. (chuckles)

Please see the bolded part - the list you have made are NOT bugs, please do not even try and state they are. They are merely changes to the game you want to see happen, and ugh the word is PILLAGE not PILLY (this is something you take when sick).
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Dec 31, 2011 5:18:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Bug Fixes ....

1. you can quit as a stall manger, without waiting to be fired by the Owner.
2. you can gift Wrap , Pets , cloths, Ship's deeds , as well as just frunture as it is now.
3. Triple the Navy pay.
4. change Crew halls / Flag halls so lower ranks in the crew/flag can invite guests into them, (like low as a rate rank- this DEARLY needs to be done).
5. change ships sets so , you can select names of 1 or 2 or your crew can sail them in locked status( maybe just one or two.)
((you do something like this with houses , like a roomate,so it should be possiable to set up ships like this))
6. and the banks on the islands, reopen, setting up accounts, in them, so a CREW, or FLag
could have Crew
or Flag Fund in them, so
like all seniors and captains could have a way to use it. with one pirate having to hold the funds. or it being on a ship's hold ... (this is also longggg over due ..)
7. also trophy's for Pirates of 50 pillys , 100 pillys, 150 pillys , etc ..
8. change the " who " infor given when someone "whos " you to cut down on the way you can be " stalked " on the game.

I got more, but thats enough for now ... Posting this knowing I will get alot on bad replys, for the Peanut Gallery. (chuckles)

Please see the bolded part - the list you have made are NOT bugs, please do not even try and state they are. They are merely changes to the game you want to see happen, and ugh the word is PILLAGE not PILLY (this is something you take when sick).

The word Pilly can mean pillage :P anything can mean pillage if they put enough effort into it.

For the sake of it, i think i'll refer to them as brigand baiting. Let's see how far this goes.
Disengaged.

[Dec 31, 2011 5:42:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I never said anything about trophies. Trinkets similar to the old Sea Battle exp/rank ones would be nice
Yes, but they stopped giving those out in favor of trophies.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Dec 31, 2011 11:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
draton

* If both pirates have logged in in the last year, but one has more than twice the puzzling experience as the other, give the name to that pirate.

* if both pirates have logged in in the last year and they both have fairly equal puzzling time (within a factor of two), give the name to whichever pirate was created first.

Basically, the more established and active you are, the more right to the name you should have. Old alts and people who aren't playing in any meaningful way shouldn't trump someone's main.

Why should people who play the game for the social aspect rather than endless puzzling have to suffer? Personally I spend way more time on this game talking to people than I do puzzling, and I know quite a few others who do too.

Say I play hunter and someone with the same name plays sage and we both spend equal amounts of time on the game. Why should he keep his name whilst mine is changed because he spends his time grinding away on SMH's whilst I spend my time talking to my friends?
You're basing a system on your definition of meaningful play rather than a simple 'You had it first, it's yours' system, which by my reckoning is much fairer.
Glacial - Meridian
Hielo - Emerald
Starscream - Obsidian

Nemesis says, "I think I found the problem."
Nemesis says, "You're a Decepticon."
Starscream says, "I've changed :("
Nemesis says, "They all say that.
[Jan 1, 2012 7:34:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Why should people who play the game for the social aspect rather than endless puzzling have to suffer?

Because if you want IM/IRC/facebook/etc. you can go there, they are much better at purely social stuff than YPP ever will be. What makes YPP different is the puzzling.

This isn't about people who don't puzzle not being able to play the game, it is just the pirate name. No system will be perfectly fair in all possible cases, but there are a huge number of old forage alts, possibly more than there are people actually playing now a days.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jan 1, 2012 8:14:03 AM]
[Jan 1, 2012 8:08:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

The flip side of that: Why would people who only play the game for the puzzles care what their pirate is named? I have a couple alts made solely for the purpose of playing lots and lots of crafting puzzles, and I know their names have collided with those on other oceans. I'd hate for those names to supplant those of valid players, since I'm not at all attached to those names. After all, "if you want to puzzle, you can go to Kongregate/XBLA/etc.; they are much better at pure puzzles than YPP ever will be." What makes YPP different is the unique combination of the puzzle and social aspects, not one or the either in isolation.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Jan 1, 2012 1:22:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Laochra

Regardless of anything else, this announcement has given me the motivation to return to the game; which means it must be working a bit at least.
[Jan 1, 2012 2:06:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Regardless of anything else, this announcement has given me the motivation to return to the game; which means it must be working a bit at least.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I do not for see this changing anything much in which the game already functions. The merge is a crap idea to throw a band-aid over a gash. People can argue the game is dying as it is and this is going to pro-long it. It would last longer if they fixed the actual problems in the game. It isn't going to make it easier for people to run SMH or pillage or what not. You just combine the population numbers and the already inflated number of navs, still the ratio of jobbert to bnaver is exactly the same.
Captainrich
[Jan 1, 2012 2:10:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I do not for see this changing anything much in which the game already functions. The merge is a crap idea to throw a band-aid over a gash. People can argue the game is dying as it is and this is going to pro-long it. It would last longer if they fixed the actual problems in the game. It isn't going to make it easier for people to run SMH or pillage or what not. You just combine the population numbers and the already inflated number of navs, still the ratio of jobbert to bnaver is exactly the same.

You know if less people ran around trying to run elite crap and sea monster hunts and actually tried to include the noob players and greenies into the things they were doing and heartied some of them they might stick around and do something more than dock tart?

I could run around with a green name for a week like 6hrs + a day and not have a single greeter in that whole week bother to ask me if i need help or if i have any questions about the game. Like seriously?
Formerly Julaxis of the Viridian and Malachite Oceans
[Jan 1, 2012 2:30:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

You know if less people ran around trying to run elite crap and sea monster hunts and actually tried to include the noob players and greenies into the things they were doing and heartied some of them they might stick around and do something more than dock tart?

I could run around with a green name for a week like 6hrs + a day and not have a single greeter in that whole week bother to ask me if i need help or if i have any questions about the game. Like seriously?

Yeah this is why I always try to endorse things that force people to do these things. You cannot expect people to help greenies, it isn't profitable. Force them to do it, they may not directly be trying to help them but indirectly they are.
Captainrich
[Jan 1, 2012 3:44:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

It's not a possibility that now OOO have, as you say, prolonged the inevitable death of the game, they may now have time to fix some of the core gameplay issues?
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Jan 1, 2012 9:57:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Waywardmatt

I went through over 10 pages, no om comments. ???
Waywardmatt on all the oceans
waywardmateo on jade

[21:15:03] Clotho says, "you broke the island!"
[21:15:09] Waywardmatt says, "seems that way, eh?"
[21:15:13] Clotho giggles
[Jan 1, 2012 9:59:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

The Ocean Master Hermes has posted updates in this announcements thread:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=177049

That may count as feedback even if it is not posted in the current thread.
[Jan 1, 2012 10:28:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
DmentedAngel

Cant please everyone ...
[Jan 2, 2012 2:10:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Hillsmen wrote: 

this. so much this.

Nil wrote: 

It's not a possibility that now OOO have, as you say, prolonged the inevitable death of the game, they may now have time to fix some of the core gameplay issues?

given OOO's track record of ignoring the real problems for years and giving no indication that they are even looking at addressing these issues, a rational person would not get their hopes up. i think the only way this game will get serious attention is if Sega explicitly tells OOO to make it a priority.
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Jan 2, 2012 10:56:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

The game IS getting serious attention. They're bringing new hardware out for the merge, i'm no computer expert, but why fix the old hardware when the fix is going to come later through switching to newer hardware.

This merge is a big deal, and a lot of organisation and planning, and even then they still brought out occasional bugfixes. The larger bugs need plenty of time spent on them, and they can't really be priority over getting the game successfully shifted onto the merged oceans. Remember, OOO were looking for staff recently (Loathe posted this somewhere) and I have a feeling YPP is their main earner, if not very close.

The players are what make this game fun, people have time and again stated that. To me, it looks like the games actually growing again at this point in time, with the excitement of the merge. Let's just go do what we as players can during beta-phases, then once that's over and done with, there will be more time for the larger bugfixes.
Disengaged.

[Jan 2, 2012 11:31:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

given OOO's track record of ignoring the real problems for years and giving no indication that they are even looking at addressing these issues, a rational person would not get their hopes up. i think the only way this game will get serious attention is if Sega explicitly tells OOO to make it a priority.

Rage face.

You (people, not specifically ye) simply don't understand that whatever you consider to be a "real problem" is probably a feature appreciated by others, do you?

If anything, the problem is that with SMH OOO jumped the shark. Poker isn't even an issue compared to that.

But what you (again, the broader you of complainers) fail to understand is that YPP is above all a social game. Uniting oceans is good. But if you want to play with dozens upon scores of players, and lead them, that has to be something you have to make the connections for. Puzzle for them, etc.

Just to put it differently, with the exception of VERY occasional bugs - and yes I admit some are not fixed as fast as some would like - there is NOTHING (complained about) which is a fundamental problem per se, but simply a design decision some players don't like.

Keep this thread "glass half full", pretty please?
[Jan 2, 2012 11:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

The game IS getting serious attention. They're bringing new hardware out for the merge, i'm no computer expert, but why fix the old hardware when the fix is going to come later through switching to newer hardware.

This merge is a big deal, and a lot of organisation and planning, and even then they still brought out occasional bugfixes. The larger bugs need plenty of time spent on them, and they can't really be priority over getting the game successfully shifted onto the merged oceans. Remember, OOO were looking for staff recently (Loathe posted this somewhere) and I have a feeling YPP is their main earner, if not very close.

The players are what make this game fun, people have time and again stated that. To me, it looks like the games actually growing again at this point in time, with the excitement of the merge. Let's just go do what we as players can during beta-phases, then once that's over and done with, there will be more time for the larger bugfixes.

Yeah no. This merge isn't a big deal at all to me at least. Especially since I play Viridian where this is just like the introduction of steam. 200 players or less yayyyy. If I actually knew what this new hardware was I could have a say if it will help, but I really doubt it will. The game doesn't need new things it needs less. The more they put into this game the less the average person can do.
Captainrich
[Jan 2, 2012 12:54:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

Yeah no. This merge isn't a big deal at all to me at least. Especially since I play Viridian where this is just like the introduction of steam. 200 players or less yayyyy. If I actually knew what this new hardware was I could have a say if it will help, but I really doubt it will. The game doesn't need new things it needs less. The more they put into this game the less the average person can do.

Do you do anything to begin with Captainrich? I mean no offense but you can still do a heck of a lot more than you think you can. You just refuse to make sacrifices to do it. You expect to be able to fill a boat anytime you want but you refuse settle for jobbing.... The merger does more than add 200 players. Your looking short term gains for one ocean. Sage + Hunter makes an ocean equal in size of player numbers to the new Viridian + Mala. Not only that but you no longer beat a dead horse by introducing new players to dead/dying oceans. They dont' get a choice to log into an ocean with 200 or less players. They're now forced as a doub player to log into an ocean of 750+. THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE. We have an opportunity to grow across all oceans instead of die across four. Not only that but new hardware? Heck yes. For all we know OOO has been forced to take a stand point of less creative and drastic changes for the good of the game in the last year or two because they needed to buy better hardware and introduce a larger quantity of players to make it accessable and enjoyable without creating the same problems its been causing on the previous oceans. Look into this with a positive attitude and stop downing what OOO is trying to do here. You need to look at everything in volved in the picture and stop looking at it like a selfish snob. Seriously...
Formerly Julaxis of the Viridian and Malachite Oceans
[Jan 2, 2012 1:01:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates