• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 138979 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
escooper

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

I would suggest to the developers that when the oceans merge the maps wrap around, like a globe. Otherwise the arches at the corners will have less traffic and become dead.

Samjones
----------------------------------------
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Dec 9, 2011 1:03:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

how will nonstandard ship names work? i wold not be surprised if there were a fair number of ships that shared the same name on both oceans, like "card shark"

There will be two ships with the same name.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 9, 2011 1:06:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=177049

There's a lot of people in this thread who need to click that link and read that post first.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Dec 9, 2011 1:09:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

I don't know if this is just me or not but I find it hard to merge the Viridian and Malachite maps together. Everywhere I try to imagine having a route it seems like one or more parts of either ocean become obsolete and less pirates will sail to them and the high populated shoppe islands on Viridian like Lima and Dragons Nest will lose appeal and shops. I don't think anyone wants to see a shift in the ocean we just want to see a growth of new shops in the area around the new connection. (Maybe i'm just exaggerating that point a bit I dunno. I do really feel like its hard to connect them though.)

I also vote on longer but not overly long Interoceanic Routes. They are after all intended to be sailing between oceans. Definitely not a full 30leagues but not a short 7 or 12 either. I'd like to see something in the range of 18-20. It gives you the feel of really sailing between oceans but doesn't give the hassle of really sailing half way across the world into a new ocean.
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 9, 2011 1:19:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henryrules10

I suggest Adams, Patrick, and Norris for the new names. No need for Smythe since it was a weak division >.>
Nickbush on every ocean (Jadebush on Jade -.-)

Native Cobaltean for life

http://www.youtube.com/user/NickBush24

Foraging scoring glitch: http://bit.ly/QEpApx
[Dec 9, 2011 1:20:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

Midnight/Cobalt... why are people suggesting Diamond? While I know there is such a thing as a blue diamond.... wouldn't Sapphire be more appropriate to the Color?

You do realize Sapphires come in a multitude of colours as well, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire

I would suggest to the developers that when the oceans merge the maps wrap around, like a globe. Otherwise the arches at the corners will have less traffic and become dead.

This idea is actually beast.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Dec 9, 2011 1:25:22 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 1:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Samjones

Understood, but since we have the technology to rebuild now, I'd rather have the option of a North-South merge, and then a hemisphere merge potentially.
[Dec 9, 2011 1:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicolas_hop

First off, I would like to thank OOO for taking care of the game. I'm really excited!

Nickscorpio wrote: 

It would make sense for it to be a long route, at least double the length of an interarch, say 25-30 LP.
I think it should be just the opposite, especially if the goal is to eventually have the new servers seen as one big ocean. 25-30 LPs would make an artificial barrier to moving ships across that distance, which would only serve to segregate the existing oceans, at least in some ways. I don't see how the new ocean is served long-term by doing that.

I agree. The idea is to have both oceans integrating into one big ocean. Thus, we should not have a super-long interarch route between the two old oceans. This would just divide the oceans into two camps.

I'm also in fond of increasing the maximum hearty number, seeing as you'd have to combine your friends list from both oceans on one character.
Last but not least, what will happen to the different parleys?

EDIT: woops, I missed the last three pages. Seems like many people already voiced my opinion.
Natacha on the Hunter Ocean.
Captain of 'The Mystery Fleet'

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nicolas_hop at Dec 9, 2011 1:30:39 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 1:28:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

I thought of another question:

Have you thought about the "free puzzle day" schedules for the new oceans?

Also, when can we expect to see answers to the multitude of questions in this thread that have not been addressed in the FAQ?

Thanks

Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Dec 9, 2011 1:32:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

I thought of another question:

Have you thought about the "free puzzle day" schedules for the new oceans?

Also, when can we expect to see answers to the multitude of questions in this thread that have not been addressed in the FAQ?

Thanks

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Main_Page

Front page. Free puzzle days are universal.
Why would they re-think or change them around, like everyone has which days are free memerized by now, anyway.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Dec 9, 2011 1:36:40 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 1:35:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I don't know how much I support the idea of a wrap around globe. That would really complicate the maps and be a lot of work to fit the two together so that they join on each side.

There have always been islands by the wayside on every ocean and they'll just have to deal with it. I like the idea behind Quitex's merger of Sage and Hunter but I think the routes were a bit too short. As far as Viridian and Malachite are concerned, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again. I hope Malachite's colonized end (southeast) is one of the parts directly connected to Viridian (or at least close to the connection point) and isn't on the far end of the new ocean or it'll be completely marginalized. In that case, the untouched part of Malachite could remain as a sort of outer rim (yay Star Wars reference) of the larger ocean, perhaps with some new activities to come for those who would bother to sail around there.
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 9, 2011 1:46:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't know if this is just me or not but I find it hard to merge the Viridian and Malachite maps together. Everywhere I try to imagine having a route it seems like one or more parts of either ocean become obsolete and less pirates will sail to them and the high populated shoppe islands on Viridian like Lima and Dragons Nest will lose appeal and shops.

This isn't necessarily bad. Most of the Sage/Hunter plans are based on theories of how to spread out the ocean population. Having a general Malachiteward migration would probably be good for your ocean.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 9, 2011 1:53:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

New Question: Players holding the same name as a pirate on another ocean that have been dormant for more than two years makes sense that they get the name over the dormant pirate. Will there be any similar method for crews and flags that are dormant and no longer played?
Arakain the Hurricane
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AraHurricane at Dec 9, 2011 2:04:19 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 1:55:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

I don't know if this is just me or not but I find it hard to merge the Viridian and Malachite maps together. Everywhere I try to imagine having a route it seems like one or more parts of either ocean become obsolete and less pirates will sail to them and the high populated shoppe islands on Viridian like Lima and Dragons Nest will lose appeal and shops.

This isn't necessarily bad. Most of the Sage/Hunter plans are based on theories of how to spread out the ocean population. Having a general Malachiteward migration would probably be good for your ocean.

Okay so I went back and rethought it out. So maybe you connect Jade to Komodo ish? I think thats what the arch is called with Saltstrum, Chelydra, and Barracuda on Mala. This could be a good and bad thing? It brings the major population centers of both ocean into a central area keeping the current economy's of both oceans strong and possibly promoting competition between shop keepers of both population centers. Then as you stem out from the population of both oceans you go out into the outer reaches of the two oceans where things are less populated? Or would it be more beneficial to try and place the mala population centers next to less populated portions of Viridian and hope it causes a spread? Anyone have any opinion?
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 9, 2011 2:17:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I want to see long and non-swabbyable or floatable routes between the oceans. Otherwise the more prosperous and populous ocean will just swamp the lesser one. It should retain a degree of separation for fleet and mineral/herb economy purposes. Obviously this is most relevant for Malachite and therefore I have a vested interest but the other merges will suffer from that as well.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Dec 9, 2011 2:22:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (yes, I read the whole thread) is this: Certain trophies (incredibles, ultimates, and #1's), are dependent on the strength of the ocean. I propose that pirates keep their existing trophies, but have them be renamed. For example, I would have #1 Treasure Hauler - Hunter, but not #1 Treasure Hauler - <insert new ocean name here>. I suspect many of these will be harder to obtain once the new ocean happens, and it might be a good way to encourage more activity.

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but I dunno...
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Dec 9, 2011 2:35:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

How will the Skeleton/Zombie/Werewolf hunting work out now? Will it detect them for the whole brand new ocean or only in the specific small oceans depending on your respective portion?

Will there be a new category to the Ultimates List for each respective ocean? Like #1 of the East and #1 of the West?
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 9, 2011 2:40:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I want to see long and non-swabbyable or floatable routes between the oceans. Otherwise the more prosperous and populous ocean will just swamp the lesser one. It should retain a degree of separation for fleet and mineral/herb economy purposes. Obviously this is most relevant for Malachite and therefore I have a vested interest but the other merges will suffer from that as well.

There are a number of people who left Malachite who still have ships on it, who can easily take them back. Or they can easily purchase/build new ones during the no-blockade period in Malachite. The pains of keeping oceans separate just don't outweigh the gains.
[Dec 9, 2011 2:40:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

What do people think about this? Lacerta is isolated but I don't think it's too far off. If anything, it'll give merchants some nice stock running routes. There could also be a Flyaway - Oasis route but I didn't put it in there.

I think putting Lacerta and Jade close to each other only increases the already asymmetric population distributions on both oceans because both of those are the major populations centers on their current oceans.

And since I touched on stock running, I wonder if whoever is in charge of designing these mergers is paying attention to how the spawns near the connection will complement or clash with each other. If people haven't noticed, Viridian has basic commodity-rich areas (ex: iron in northern Onyx) and basic commodity-poor areas (ex: iron in south Onyx) and there's probably a way to fit them together where a poorer area could be helped out and vice versa.

Edit: The Yamaya - Oasis route could be redirected to Yamaya - Hadrian as well, to give Malachite closer access to it.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 9, 2011 3:01:15 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 2:58:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

How will the Skeleton/Zombie/Werewolf hunting work out now? Will it detect them for the whole brand new ocean or only in the specific small oceans depending on your respective portion?

Will there be a new category to the Ultimates List for each respective ocean? Like #1 of the East and #1 of the West?

Pretty sure it will scan the entire ocean for them. If you haven't noticed, 2 oceans are being made into ONE large ocean.

[Dec 9, 2011 3:00:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

Hey Cab why not do Kuhio or Oasis to Flyaway? It seems a bit more of a straight shot through down to Lacerta.

As for being too asymmetric.... Im not sure how much of a shift its going to cause for Viridian. And I'd like to think that your connections would cut off the already expanding and populating other side to mala that might also like to benefit from the connections rather than having to sail all the way across the ocean to get to Viridian.
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 9, 2011 3:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Yeah, I figure it may be a problem for people if Lacerta is too far away from Viridian. And I thought Kuhio - Flyaway may be too long of a route and people would complain about it. Personally, I wouldn't mind insanely long breakless routes if they provided significant shortcuts (Viridian could use a few of those without the merger).

This was just one combination that seemed better than any others I could see. I'm trying to find connections that are of reasonable length and create traffic to otherwise fringe areas. I'm trying to put together some more, they're just obnoxious to do so with cut+paste in paint, heh.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 9, 2011 3:16:01 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 3:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

What do people think about this? Lacerta is isolated but I don't think it's too far off. If anything, it'll give merchants some nice stock running routes. There could also be a Flyaway - Oasis route but I didn't put it in there.
That could be good if you switch the oasis - yemaya to oasis to flyaway. Quite literally nothing happens in the top two arches on mala, so I'm not sure how accommodating that would be to those who want to sail between the two oceans. Would this be any better? I don't know much or anything about spawns, so I don't know how much that's a factor for placement. These two maps are pretty much the exact opposite, with this one having the two main arches close by, and the other one having them on opposite ends of the ocean. I'm not sure which way would work out better.

Then again, the OMs have probably already decided.

Edit: Diastrophe connecting to Lilac may be better, so you can't get to Mala through Lacerta, so as to attempt to spread the population a bit, but Lacerta is still close by.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by riku743 at Dec 9, 2011 3:45:57 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 3:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I thought about that and would really like it but would prefer for the interocean routes to be longer (about 10 leagues). Here are two more I've quickly put together.

1 2

I can see why people would like #2 but I'm not too big of a fan of it.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 9, 2011 3:50:20 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 3:48:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hazelsworn

I do hope they have the new maps be a globe instead of just flat because otherwise, (I know especially for Midnight/Cobalt) archs/islands in the corners of the map will be -really- desolate which is no fun.

Also, if OOO is really watching this thread, a one-time opportunity to have a fine-tuned one-way pirate merging thing would I think be nice.
Coexist , Emerald
Me on YouTube!

[Dec 9, 2011 3:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

With the introduction of pirate renames, could mute lists please be moved server-side? Also, will there be an option to receive notifications when a friend or crewmate changes names?
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 9, 2011 4:03:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

Lets be honest. Even on the outer rim Lima is probably going to be the big island hang out for this new ocean so why not just keep the established economy of Lacerta and Jade with Lima having an Interocean connection directly to an island like Chelydra? I'd be excited to see a connection off of Sakejima Island to rebuild its rather weak economic situation. (I know people don't really want to make Jade the center of the world but you have to agree Sake needs help. XD)

Im always a favorite of a new island becoming more popular because of the merger but the vast economic stronghold that Lima is I have my doubts about it really changing. With the large number of newby players who have all or most of their ships in Jade it entices them to sail across into the new ocean for pillages and such. Afterwards I still see a lot of players traveling or at least merchant running through Viridian archs to get bid tickets on things that might not otherwise spawn on Mala islands but I dont' know the commodity spawns for Mala and Viridian currently. Working on getting an excel spread sheet set up.

(I stand firm in my belief that the new Interoceanic Routes are ment to give the feel of sailing between oceans without the pain of actually sailing half way across the world to get there. Therefore, I vote 15-18 Leagues. :P)
Arakain the Hurricane
[Dec 9, 2011 4:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pizzab

Someone asked about the forums being merged....my thought is that a new one will be opened for each of the merged oceans and old ones closed.

Personally I would want to see it done like this

-New Ocean Name Forum
- Sub-Forum East Side (Formerly this ocean)
- Sub-Forum West Side (Formerly this ocean)
FrodoB of Hunter

I use to be a hobbit, till I took a ring to the finger.
[Dec 9, 2011 5:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumrizzo

Cabinnaw wrote: 
I thought about that and would really like it but would prefer for the interocean routes to be longer (about 10 leagues)
I can see why people would like #2 but I'm not too big of a fan of it.

I wanted to make the immature joke before someone beats me to it.

Ebony Serpent to Mermaid's Purse

Honestly; having been all around Malachite and Viridian. I personally like the first suggestion better as it'll encourage more cross-oceanic travel. I'm sure there are plenty of arguements against it economically but I prefer trying to get people moving around.

10-15 leagues sounds plenty long enough to me. What's the longest single route in the game? Tigerleaf Mountain to Dragon's Nest, right? That's only 14 League Points.
Tomrizzo
Serendipity, Rebel Rousers
Emerald
[Dec 9, 2011 5:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Whew! Here's a quick batch of answers to questions you had that we may have missed in the initial FAQ...

Q: How will my pirates change?
A: Your pirate name may change if there is an older, active pirate with the same name. Your standings may change, because they will now be calculated against the entire new ocean. Nothing else about your pirate will change: not your property, employment, hearties list, hairstyle, injuries, favorite color, not anything... Your pirate name will only get a suffix added if there is another older, active pirate on the same ocean with that same name.

Q. What if I have two pirates with the same name on both merged oceans?
A: You will now have two pirates on the new ocean. They will not be merged. The pirate that was created later will be given an “-East” or “-West” suffix.

Q: What if my pirate name is already close to the maximum length? Will it be able to have the full “-East” or “-West” added to it?
A: Yes, the entire suffix will still be added.

Q: Are the pirate name changes based on the account's age or the pirate's age?
A: Pirate's age.

Q: Can I transfer all of my items from one of my pirates to another?
A: After the merge, we will make it possible to add other pirates on your account as roommates. This should facilitate sharing items or transferring items to your main pirate. We will look into implementing an easier way to do this in the future.

Q: Can you automatically merge my hearty lists?
A: This will not be possible.

Q: Can you increase the size of the hearties list?
A: There are some technical hurdles that make shifting very large lists of hearties around unwieldy, but yes, we will increase the size of the hearties list to 300. The real problem is that you are so popular...

Q: Can I merge my memorized routes between two pirates?
A: We understand why this is desirable, but unfortunately, it will not be possible.

Q: How many pirates will I have on my account after the merge?
A: You will have as many pirates as you had before, up to 6. So if you have 3 on Midnight and 2 on Cobalt, you will have those 5 pirates available on the new ocean. You will not be able to create more. We would like to keep the limit to 3 pirates per account, but we obviously don't want to delete any of your existing pirates either.

Q: How many pirates will new accounts be allowed after the merge?
A: Three pirates maximum.

Q: If I have more than three pirates on my subscriber account, how much labor will I get per day?
A: We will increase the amount of labor to 48 hours per day for all subscribed accounts on the Midnight/Cobalt ocean, regardless of how many pirates you have.

Q: Can we see what the new oceans will look like? Where will they be connected?
A: We will make testing versions of the merged oceans available to everyone before we proceed with the final merge. This will give everyone a chance to see how their new ocean will be laid out and to provide feedback.

Q: How long will the inter-ocean routes be?
A: The routes will be about the same length, or slightly longer than, existing inter-archipelago routes.

Q: How many inter-ocean routes will there be?
A: Two.

Q: Is the world round? Can you connect the oceans on both sides?
A: We actually really like this idea, but it would be difficult to implement technically.

Q: Will my trophies change?
A: We won't take any trophies away from anyone. We won’t be changing the trophies to indicate where they were earned.

Q: Has the ocean merge been planned for a while, or was this a fairly recent decision?
A: We’ve actually been considering the ocean merge for quite some time, and started working on various changes to support this over the summer. Sorry we couldn’t tell you about it sooner!  We wanted to make sure we had all our ducks in a row before we made the announcement. As you may have guessed, these are the “secret ingredients” referred to in the most recent release notes.

Q: Can we reuse one of the current ocean names for our new merged ocean?
A: We’re not planning to reuse any of the current ocean names.

Q: What will happen to the ocean forums?
A: We will create forums for the new oceans as soon as we have official names for them. After the ocean merge, we will lock the existing forums so that you will still be able to read them, but no one will be allowed to add new posts.

Q: Can we name the new ocean Periwinkle?
A: Fun Fact: Periwinkle is the name of the local ocean that each developer runs for testing. We probably won’t use that name to avoid confusion.
[Dec 9, 2011 6:08:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates