• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 137698 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
pillyforme

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

It would make sense for it to be a long route, at least double the length of an interarch, say 25-30 LP.

I think it should be just the opposite, especially if the goal is to eventually have the new servers seen as one big ocean. 25-30 LPs would make an artificial barrier to moving ships across that distance, which would only serve to segregate the existing oceans, at least in some ways. I don't see how the new ocean is served long-term by doing that.

Making a 30-60 minute route not including any engagemnts would deter people crossing oceans cause theyd need to spend a lot of theie time on moving ships aroud. If they make it a long route, do 7-10 max. We want tp ne able to easily move ships around

What this person said.
----------------------------------------
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
Tell me, would you kill to save a life?
[Dec 9, 2011 6:23:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

Oh oh and:

As I already told the cobalt players; anyone who votes for this gets a hug.
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
[Dec 9, 2011 6:32:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bugface4

Making a 30-60 minute route not including any engagemnts would deter people crossing oceans cause theyd need to spend a lot of theie time on moving ships aroud. If they make it a long route, do 7-10 max. We want tp ne able to easily move ships around

What this person said.

No. You do not make a game more interesting by making it easier. You add challenges. The main point of the merger should be more jobbing opportunities, a fuller Voyages board. Shorter load times for larger boats. Things of that nature. It is to give you things to do, places to see, people to meet. Not to keep you in the same old rut.
[Dec 9, 2011 6:32:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

What this person said.

No. You do not make a game more interesting by making it easier. You add challenges. The main point of the merger should be more jobbing opportunities, a fuller Voyages board. Shorter load times for larger boats. Things of that nature. It is to give you things to do, places to see, people to meet. Not to keep you in the same old rut.

Oh im sorry. I didnt realize that on top of having a completely new ocean to explore, (island) mem, get used to that we should just add an extra (or more than one) massive route to make it all harder on players.

Routes meed to be short and sweet to cross over oceans. The longer the route the less people will use the neighbouring ocean for economical reasons. Instead of creating a new ocean centre well just keep it at two major centers ( one an ocean) with people whisking betweem the two.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Dec 9, 2011 6:39:45 AM]
[Dec 9, 2011 6:37:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

You also don't make things interesting for people by making something a grind. If you make the inter-ocean routes too long, people won't bother traveling between the two - instead staying on their side of the ocean. When the mergers happen we want to promote interocean activity, not make it a chore.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Dec 9, 2011 6:49:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

What this person said.

Your stated goals are all accomplished without making traveling between what had been separate oceans an hourlong (or more) time investment.

I think following the advice of massively long "inter-ocean" routes would just ensure that everyone forever views the new ocean(s) as two separate servers that were plopped together. That's the wrong message to send. The goal is to contract the game into something that has one, larger population (or 3 larger populations as the case may be). Not two smaller oceans playing on the same server with the same jobber pool.
Hankscorpio
[Dec 9, 2011 7:09:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I think following the advice of massively long "inter-ocean" routes would just ensure that everyone forever views the new ocean(s) as two separate servers that were plopped together. That's the wrong message to send. The goal is to contract the game into something that has one, larger population (or 3 larger populations as the case may be). Not two smaller oceans playing on the same server with the same jobber pool.

I agree. Inter-ocean routes should be roughly the same length as an inter-arch route. Maybe the same length as a long inter-arch route, but that's it.

At least one route, though, should be dark orange or red. Leave at least one main throughway being yellow at worst, but one of them ought to be designed for the masochists who enjoy that sort of thing.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Dec 9, 2011 7:27:51 AM]
[Dec 9, 2011 7:26:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Funnytuq

First of all, I am glad you finally made a change.

Secondly, I completely agree that pirate renames should not be allowed (for non-west/east pirates that is) as it would make things a lot more confusing. I mean, since I made the Malachite to Hunter move before, I don't have the name I'd like to have but, I think players should be made to either change it when you start or, if you don't, continue with it.

Oh, and someone shoot me for selling my fams on Malachite D:

Edit: Mercury for Huntage, Emerald's ugly.
Bloonz on Malachite Emerald Obsidian heh
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Funnytuq at Dec 9, 2011 7:58:40 AM]
[Dec 9, 2011 7:56:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brianjd

for the Sage/Hunter reboot time will it change to the Hunter time of 5:00 game time or will it stay at the Sage time of 6:00 game time :o
Atropos says, "Ha,I'm afraid I cannot accept your crabs, sorry."
[Dec 9, 2011 8:00:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Secondly, I completely agree that pirate renames should not be allowed (for non-west/east pirates that is) as it would make things a lot more confusing.

I completely disagree.

When I first started playing, a month before PotC was released here, there was a player called Jacksparrow (very nice chap, too).

A while later, people were creating pirates such as Captnjqspero, not because they couldn't spell, but because they'd tried for half an hour or more to create a unique name.

(In)famous pirates are unlikely to change their names - at least in game - but spare a thought for a hypothetical 21-year-old who is still living with a poorly speelt name way back when.
[Dec 9, 2011 8:18:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karupin

Q: What if the pirate on the other ocean with my name is inactive?
A: If the other pirate has not logged in for 2 or more years, the name will be given to the active player.

What if the other pirate is only inactive for a year so far? Does she get my Pirate name since she has the 4th Jolly Order and i only have the 3rd?

I managed to have my name on all oceans EXCEPT Hunter and we are merging with Hunter? My luck sucks... *Sobs*

Karupin-West on Sage
[Dec 9, 2011 8:21:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

Cobalt and midnight rename. It should be called Dawn . It was midnight before, and after midnight is the Dawn . Not too mention that this is a new Dawn for puzzle pirates. ;)
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
[Dec 9, 2011 8:23:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Funnytuq

Secondly, I completely agree that pirate renames should not be allowed (for non-west/east pirates that is) as it would make things a lot more confusing.

(In)famous pirates are unlikely to change their names - at least in game - but spare a thought for a hypothetical 21-year-old who is still living with a poorly speelt name way back when.

I get your point, and it is useful in such situations, but its not like those situations are all that common and will happen all that often, becase the pirates who do create those "Captnjaqspero" (Or whatever) tend to not be wealthy pirates that afford such 30 RMs. This last thought is obviously very generalised, but I do believe it supports my point.

Also, I don't agree that famous/infamous pirates will not change they're names, as they're the ones that can afford it easily, but I hope you are correct in this matter, as it is really my main concern.
Bloonz on Malachite Emerald Obsidian heh
[Dec 9, 2011 8:32:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptManta

Overall, I like the idea of ocean merging.

With a pirate by the name of Manta on Cobalt, Midnight, Viridian, Sage and Hunter, I would prefer my characters to be renamed to

Manta Cobalt
Manta Midnight
Manta Viridian

...etc., rather than Manta East or Manta West
Manta
Jade Scorpions
Cobalt
[Dec 9, 2011 8:34:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    somanta@gmail.com [Link]  Go to top 
ThisThat

In regards to the name changes, is it based on account's age or the individual pirate's age?

Second, would it be possible to know before the merge who will win out?
[Dec 9, 2011 8:39:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Plunderville

I'm super excited! I have friends on Cobalt and Midnight and now I can job with them all together!

Anyway, I have a proposed name slate for maximum confusion AWESOMENESS:

Midnight/Cobalt: Periwinkle
Viridian/Malachite: Peridot
Hunter/Sage: Pear
[Dec 9, 2011 9:10:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Iolite, Aventurine, Bloodstone.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Talisker at Dec 9, 2011 9:18:14 AM]
[Dec 9, 2011 9:16:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

I really wish the devs would find a way to merge pirates of the same name on the same account, instead of leaving two pirates, one with an east or west on the end of it.

You have the option to transfer all of your goods from one to the other and delete the one you use less, (eliminating the need for the East-West thing,) but you also have the option to keep them both if you want to. It's a mild chore to transfer goods, but in the larger scheme of things I think it would have caused more upset to have to choose one or the other indefinitely.

On a separate note: I also think that there could be some legitimate reasons to re-name a non East-West pirate but I think it should cost more than 30 rogue marks. Maybe 75-100? But, I'm not too worried about the potential exploit; having seen many notorious pirates come back under many names, their patterns of behavior out them eventually.
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Dec 9, 2011 9:18:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

Midnight/Cobalt: Periwinkle

If this happens. I quit.
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
[Dec 9, 2011 9:44:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

Someone asked about the forums being merged....my thought is that a new one will be opened for each of the merged oceans and old ones closed.
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Dec 9, 2011 9:44:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sanderonline

My thoughts and questions about the merge: (Please bare with me, I have NOT read all the 20 pages, I read about 5 or so...)

Also I mostly play on SUB oceans, so some of my points may not be an issue to the DUB oceans

First of all: Money and currency
I know for a fact that about 2k a segment in a blockade on Cobalt is normal while on Midnight it's 500 at max. This makes it easy to see that there are people on Cobalt who have a lot of money compared to Midnight.

For my 2nd point: Blockades
After the month of no blockading. Is there gonna be anything done against one flag with a lot of money suddenly attacking half the islands on the other oceans?

3rd point: Pirate Names
About the names, what if there are two people on, for example, Sage and Hunter who both thought about the same name without ever meeting each other. Having one of them having to rename his or her pirate is kinda mean. Plus that person might have to make a whole new reputation for him-/herself.

4th point: Ocean names
I vote to have the oldest ocean have the official name (that is also on the log in screen) and have the other ocean be an area within that ocean.
What I definitively do NOT want is every ocean names after some gem. Please remember people EVERY archipelago on Midnight is right now called after a gem. And while not all gems are used right now, it would be a ripoff for the names in my eyes.
Seagunner on Midnight
Fleet Officer of the Blackwolf Marauders
Lieutenant of Insanity

We are not responsible for lost or damaged sanity
[Dec 9, 2011 10:07:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bugface4

Your stated goals are all accomplished without making traveling between what had been separate oceans an hourlong (or more) time investment.

The goal is to promote activity. I don't think making things easier does that.

I also don't think long interarchs have a huge impact on any social cohesion. Do any of the Cobalt players in Jade shun Onyx? Have flags based in one arch never blockaded an island in another? I think there will be plenty of interaction with a long interocean passage without making it a short hop. I think the potential for increased commerce as people buy more ships to fill out their fleet rather than shuttle their stuff wherever they need with no opportunity cost is good for the game. At least for the short term.

However, you are right. There would be no major impact on the main things I think this merge will accomplish. And so I really don't have large reservations on shorter interocean routes. Although I would still prefer them to be no shorter than the longest interarch, I won't tart about it here. (for what that is worth)
[Dec 9, 2011 10:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pillyforme

The goal is to promote activity. I don't think making things easier does that.

I also don't think long interarchs have a huge impact on any social cohesion. Do any of the Cobalt players in Jade shun Onyx? Have flags based in one arch never blockaded an island in another? I think there will be plenty of interaction with a long interocean passage without making it a short hop. I think the potential for increased commerce as people buy more ships to fill out their fleet rather than shuttle their stuff wherever they need with no opportunity cost is good for the game. At least for the short term.

However, you are right. There would be no major impact on the main things I think this merge will accomplish. And so I really don't have large reservations on shorter interocean routes. Although I would still prefer them to be no shorter than the longest interarch, I won't tart about it here. (for what that is worth)

/e Shakes head
Darkoath Of Cerulean.
Semi-Retired
[Dec 9, 2011 10:25:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Well, I don't have any thoughts one way or another about how this'll play out, but I'll grant that I'm at least interested in watching it unfold.

I suggested Sapphire, Laurel and Fern for the new names, but I kind of like Dawn instead of Sapphire, now that I see it suggested.

I don't mind having extra Taelacs, since several of me are in sleeping crews, and sometimes it's nice to have a spare crew or flag lying about, but I expect I'll take advantage of some renames in the process.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Dec 9, 2011 10:48:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I don't mind having extra Taelacs, since several of me are in sleeping crews

You Sybil

Edit to add: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483793/
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dylan at Dec 9, 2011 11:12:05 AM]
[Dec 9, 2011 11:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Texasborn

I'd like to suggest each pirate gets a trophy to commemorate the original ocean they came from once the mergers happen.

This should deffinatly happen. Huntard and proud!

And it ought to be titled "Huntard" as well!

lol, agreed!
Texasborn
Captain of Titan's Rebirth
Monarch of Golden Destiny
Tex's music box
[Dec 9, 2011 11:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Safyresalt

Midnight/Cobalt... why are people suggesting Diamond? While I know there is such a thing as a blue diamond.... wouldn't Sapphire be more appropriate to the Color?
Safyres - SO - Silver Linings
Lady - A Plus Pirates
[Dec 9, 2011 12:32:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oineedatan

I wish this was 4/1/2012 so I could read this, think about it for a second, and then laugh at the clever joke. Sadly, I'm 99.99% certain you're serious about this - which makes me laugh in a completely different manner.

You've decided to merge oceans and your list basically merges the #1 Pauper (Mala) with the #1 Prince (Viridian). Hence, players that chose the "hard road" to play on Viridian from day one - where everything is more expensive and takes more time in the game to get, will now be curved out with the under-achievers of the game that play on the joke ocean where everything is worth nothing?

Maybe OOO should consider getting out of the video game industry all together, and offer your services as Social-Economic advisers to the Obama administration. Honestly, as someone who's been playing all sorts of video games for over 20 years, it's hard to think of a bigger failure that I've heard of. The Nintendo Wii comes to mind, and is close... but at least you could play Excite Bike on that.

So - Viridian players after this update happens expect to login and all your items and belongings will be worth ~10% of what they were previously worth and watch the mass sales of fams and ships happen when Mala players move over and their items are worth around 500% what they're currently valued at.

On top of the already stated, how does this "solution" address the 1,000 pound gorilla in the middle of OOO studio - the fact that the influx of new players to the game isn't enough to sustain those that are leaving? Best case scenario is that the Viridian population goes from 750 average to 1250 average (assuming that there's no cross-population between servers, which there is... to a large degree). So in another year as more and more people leave the game (aside from the current set of players that will be extremely upset at this poor decision that leave immediately) - next December Viridian is back to having a player base of 750 players if SEGA hasn't decided to kill the game by then.

Like I said - I wish this was a joke. Feel free to compare my analysis to your own oceans that will be merged - I only really care about the Viridian merge here because that's where I play, but you're looking at the same thing across the board.

Thanks for the early Christmas present/announcement OOO - will definitely help me make up my mind about how much YPP I'll be playing in 2012.

Your sense of entitlement makes me happy to see that you will be not playing that much after this decision.

+1

how will nonstandard ship names work? i wold not be surprised if there were a fair number of ships that shared the same name on both oceans, like "card shark"
____
oineedatan.viridian.
ts.viridian.
[Dec 9, 2011 12:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Somewhere upstream someone asked about what the resulting reboot time would be for the new Sage/Hunter combo.

I would like to know what it would be for all oceans. Here's the current schedule from YPPedia:

* Jade, Viridian and Midnight, 4 AM PT
* Hunter and Cobalt, 5 AM PT
* Sage and Malachite, 6 AM PT
* Opal, 10 PM PT

I stopped foraging on Viridian a while back simply because I regularly moved MBs of fruit during the 30 minute reboot window, and it wasn't worth my time to make sure I was awake, online, voyage configured, bots hired and on station, before 3 fleeping 30 in the morning. (Yes, I live in the game time zone.) The existing schedule also forced me to choose between Sage and Malachite for foraged items I wanted to move; I couldn't do both.

So, if OOO wants to keep Jade/Virid/Midnight reboots at the same time, we'll end up with only 3 reboot times (Opal remaining unchanged).

* Jade, Viridichite/Midian and Midblat/Conight: 6 AM PT
* Huge/Saunter: 5 AM PT
* Opal, 10 PM PT

Otoh, if OOO chooses to give Midblat/Conight a separate reboot time, it's their call, but please don't go earlier than 5 AM.

Regarding the name changes, I went with colors, raiding my art supplies and fabric stash:

Midblat/Conight: Ultramarine
(a pigment that is made from the gemstone lapis lazuli)

Huge/Saunter: Seafoam:
(a pale, warm, somewhat effervescent green)

Viridichite/Midian: Verdigris
(a pigment/color that is the result of using acetic acid on the mineral copper. Think of the Statue of Liberty as she is now, or the stains in your bathtub from a leaky copper pipe).
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 2 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Dec 9, 2011 12:44:45 PM]
[Dec 9, 2011 12:39:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (yes, I read the whole thread) is this: Certain trophies (incredibles, ultimates, and #1's), are dependent on the strength of the ocean. I propose that pirates keep their existing trophies, but have them be renamed. For example, I would have #1 Treasure Hauler - Hunter, but not #1 Treasure Hauler - <insert new ocean name here>. I suspect many of these will be harder to obtain once the new ocean happens, and it might be a good way to encourage more activity.
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Dec 9, 2011 1:02:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates