• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 98632 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
Hermes
Developer

United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

This is the official discussion thread for the ocean unification announcement. If you have any questions that were not addressed by the FAQ, please post them here!

EDIT: We bundled together a bunch of answers to questions that have been posed in this thread. You can find those here.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hermes at Dec 12, 2011 1:28:03 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 2:42:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Uqie

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

Question! What happens to fams, there is a severe difference in the price between mala and virid? :) (being a mala player myself I am not complaining)
[Dec 8, 2011 2:52:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

Will there be fields?

Edit: What about the parleys?

Edit2:

Q: Will the other ocean's flags be able to blockade our islands? When?
A: Blockades will be turned off for a month after the merge. After a month, they will again be opened up and islands will once again be available for blockade from anyone on the new ocean. Exactly how this will affect BK blockades and scuttling is still to be determined.

If you're turning off blockades for a month, maybe there should be a freeze on island income and building.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Elliptic at Dec 8, 2011 3:01:10 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 2:53:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dohickeyjr

Are more swabbies involved in these plans also, I know there will be more people , but still...
My name is Praetorian. Pirate of the Sage Ocean, Inn Merchant of the Gull Archipelago, loyal servant to the once true game of Puzzle Pirates. User to a banned pirate, Victim to a heinous crime.And I will have my justice in this pirate or the next.
[Dec 8, 2011 2:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

From what I'm reading will all accounts now hold 6 pirates?

Also, I didn't fully understand. Seepnah on Viridian has the full ocean Memmed, Seepnah on Malachite has partial Memmed, I'm guessing these can't combine?
Seepnah, it is what it is.

Bacon Strips - Emerald

#TeamBaconStripsHasNoFear

[Dec 8, 2011 3:00:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

From what I'm reading will all accounts now hold 6 pirates?

Also, I didn't fully understand. Seepnah on Viridian has the full ocean Memmed, Seepnah on Malachite has partial Memmed, I'm guessing these can't combine?

They won't combine, however you don't have to delete one of them. Each pirate would retain the memmed space, but lose the ability to hold the 99% memmed item. You can however begin memming again on either pirate.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
Teacher at SCHOOL OF DAQUAN.
[Dec 8, 2011 3:02:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Well. This will be interesting.

Edit: I don't agree with the pirate rename ability open for everyone. I would recommend it only be for those who have the suffix. It seems like having it open for everyone would cause confusion and could be exploited in the social puzzle.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by riku743 at Dec 8, 2011 3:11:00 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:03:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Will the portraits of the pirates whose names are changed automatically also be changed? I ask because I'd like to be able to trade all my portraits from one Evilduck to the other and still be able to use them and I know I won't be able to if the name on it changes.

Edit: To clarify, by "name" I don't mean the portrait name; I mean whichever entity the portrait belongs to.. basically, I had a friend with Piratename who traded her portrait to an alt, deleted her pirate, then remade the pirate later on and is able to use the old Piratename portrait on the new Piratename. So will I be able to use all my portraits on one Evilduck?
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean and that other one.

I record puzzles.

Awesomely nerdy avatar by Cholera. <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DementedDuck at Dec 9, 2011 9:43:33 AM]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:05:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

So am I right in saying that if I own the pirate Chocorose on every ocean, when the oceans merge one of my pirates will still be called Chocorose, and the other will be called either ChocoroseEast or ChocoroseWest?
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Halloween is coming!
Current avvie by Bambeh and Pria

I collect avatars
[Dec 8, 2011 3:05:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't suppose that there will be any way to have your mute list automatically update if someone on your list gets a rename?
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 8, 2011 3:05:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

So will the two oceans just sit side by side on the map with a few interocean routes between? Will there be any new islands in between? Interocean passage islands?

And why not just reset the #1 trophies for the new oceans and get rid of any that people already had? They're one of the only things left that you can only get by being good at the puzzles and now they're going to be less meaningful. Surely people won't get that upset about it. To that end, is there anything else in the pipeline for people who enjoy the puzzles?

Was it unfeasible to combine all four doubloon oceans together? Would the shiny new hardware not have coped with that?
Peglegpaul
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bronzebeard at Dec 8, 2011 3:10:12 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:06:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

I think without slimming down the ocean size, merging all four doubloon oceans would have been a little silly, and slimming the ocean introduces many more complications. That said, the increased players in a smaller area would have been nice.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
Teacher at SCHOOL OF DAQUAN.
[Dec 8, 2011 3:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyIan

A lot of discussion has involved the economy, but I haven't seen anything about bid tickets. Will existing bid tickets be retained and the markets naturally adjust, or will all bid tickets be refunded with an expectation to purchase new ones?
[Dec 8, 2011 3:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumrizzo

Dear subscribers,

Name it Diamond or Periwinkle. You know you all want too...

Rizzo,
discuss?
Tomrizzo
Serendipity, Rebel Rousers
Emerald
[Dec 8, 2011 3:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

Dear subscribers,

Rizzo,
discuss?

If everyone votes to rename the Sage / Hunter ocean Lights I will love you all.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Dec 8, 2011 3:16:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aloyicious

Could we be given to merge the belongings of the two pirates - I would just as soon have one pirate with all the belongings of the two (including houses and portraits)

Or can you trade portraits? I've never tried....
Lillythanne, Aloyicious, and Suzysunshine - mostly on Emerald

Other oceans by request...

and yes - that is my bike...
[Dec 8, 2011 3:19:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
piratejoshh

Would it be possible to also increase Max hearties? I have been playing Hunter and Sage for some time now and have a total of more than 250 hearties. As I am so popular.
Jjosh.
[Dec 8, 2011 3:19:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

If Jade and Opal are sticking around, it would make sence to go with all gemstone names.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Halloween is coming!
Current avvie by Bambeh and Pria

I collect avatars
[Dec 8, 2011 3:20:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shawe

I wish this was 4/1/2012 so I could read this, think about it for a second, and then laugh at the clever joke. Sadly, I'm 99.99% certain you're serious about this - which makes me laugh in a completely different manner.

You've decided to merge oceans and your list basically merges the #1 Pauper (Mala) with the #1 Prince (Viridian). Hence, players that chose the "hard road" to play on Viridian from day one - where everything is more expensive and takes more time in the game to get, will now be curved out with the under-achievers of the game that play on the joke ocean where everything is worth nothing?

Maybe OOO should consider getting out of the video game industry all together, and offer your services as Social-Economic advisers to the Obama administration. Honestly, as someone who's been playing all sorts of video games for over 20 years, it's hard to think of a bigger failure that I've heard of. The Nintendo Wii comes to mind, and is close... but at least you could play Excite Bike on that.

So - Viridian players after this update happens expect to login and all your items and belongings will be worth ~10% of what they were previously worth and watch the mass sales of fams and ships happen when Mala players move over and their items are worth around 500% what they're currently valued at.

On top of the already stated, how does this "solution" address the 1,000 pound gorilla in the middle of OOO studio - the fact that the influx of new players to the game isn't enough to sustain those that are leaving? Best case scenario is that the Viridian population goes from 750 average to 1250 average (assuming that there's no cross-population between servers, which there is... to a large degree). So in another year as more and more people leave the game (aside from the current set of players that will be extremely upset at this poor decision that leave immediately) - next December Viridian is back to having a player base of 750 players if SEGA hasn't decided to kill the game by then.

Like I said - I wish this was a joke. Feel free to compare my analysis to your own oceans that will be merged - I only really care about the Viridian merge here because that's where I play, but you're looking at the same thing across the board.

Thanks for the early Christmas present/announcement OOO - will definitely help me make up my mind about how much YPP I'll be playing in 2012.
Shawe - Greed is good.
"FIGHT CLUB!" Avatars by Shawe.
[Dec 8, 2011 3:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shawe [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Dear subscribers,

Rizzo,
discuss?

Forget-me-not would probably be too unwieldy :(
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 8, 2011 3:21:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Could we be given to merge the belongings of the two pirates - I would just as soon have one pirate with all the belongings of the two (including houses and portraits)

Or can you trade portraits? I've never tried....

You can just trade everything. Make pirate1 a roommate in all of pirate2's houses. And yes, you can trade portraits.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean and that other one.

I record puzzles.

Awesomely nerdy avatar by Cholera. <3
[Dec 8, 2011 3:21:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ovaryraptor

If Jade and Opal are sticking around, it would make sence to go with all gemstone names.

Which is why I voted for Emerald for the Sage/Hunter Rename
Pinke tells ye "I almost said cuz hes a hippo"
Pinke tells ye "Then I felt bad :("

Duns tells ye, "i gonna go grovel in my missery"
[Dec 8, 2011 3:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I voted for the new oceans to adopt the name of the older ocean and having the newer ocean be known as <ocean> Region.

I like the idea though, particularly the merging combinations. What I would like to see is the oceans be connected by their ass-ends so that they get some traffic. For example, connecting Malachite to either southeastern Onyx or southwestern Garnet of Viridian.

And yay, Viridian will finally have coconuts, durians, and all that jazz.
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:22:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Greyhavens

I don't agree with the pirate rename ability open for everyone. I would recommend it only be for those who have the suffix. It seems like having it open for everyone would cause confusion and could be exploited in the social puzzle.

agree+++

maybe make it a temporary Rogue mark shoppe addition that is only usable by any pirate with the suffix, and only leave the option available for a set period (6 months, perhaps).
Cirdan of Silver Dreams
Trinket Junkie of Hunter Emerald

[Dec 8, 2011 3:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The prices of most items on Malachite will go down, not up, due to the dub rates. Familiars are the exception.
-Emmett: Malachite
[Dec 8, 2011 3:24:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

So if one account is merged and you go from 3 pirates to 6 pirates, will we still have 36 hrs of labor to spread between them (for sub ocean).

Samjones
Midnight
Samjones (All oceans)
Get more ships sailing ==> more people playing!
[Dec 8, 2011 3:26:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ovaryraptor

I don't agree with the pirate rename ability open for everyone. I would recommend it only be for those who have the suffix. It seems like having it open for everyone would cause confusion and could be exploited in the social puzzle.

agree+++

maybe make it a temporary Rogue mark shoppe addition that is only usable by any pirate with the suffix, and only leave the option available for a set period (6 months, perhaps).

That's silly, what if a pirate say Woodenleg logs on after the 6 months since they are firmly retired?

flawed logic
Pinke tells ye "I almost said cuz hes a hippo"
Pinke tells ye "Then I felt bad :("

Duns tells ye, "i gonna go grovel in my missery"
[Dec 8, 2011 3:28:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KillerHam

@Shawe, this game has needed a merge for years. I have no clue why you are so upset. In fact I think we should all be happy!

edit: I will definitely be playing more Puzzle Pirates in 2012 because the number one thing that has bothered me is population size.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by KillerHam at Dec 8, 2011 3:31:03 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:28:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

it's hard to think of a bigger failure that I've heard of. The Nintendo Wii comes to mind, and is close...

Worldwide sales:
Wii: 89.36 million as of 30 September 2011
Xbox 360: 57.6 million as of 4 November 2011
PlayStation 3: 56 million as of 2 November 2011

lolwut?
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jezzebel at Dec 8, 2011 3:30:46 PM]
[Dec 8, 2011 3:30:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

All in favour of renaming Viridian/Malachite to Viridian?
Seepnah, it is what it is.

Bacon Strips - Emerald

#TeamBaconStripsHasNoFear

[Dec 8, 2011 3:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates