• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6546 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
Hazarath

'Cade Casters Reply to this Post

So, after the rampant success of last week's 'Cade Casting at the Stormy Fell Opener on Viridian, I've decided to make it a more permanent thing. For those of you who haven't heard about it, here's the original post made in Viridian Parley:

Blockading is like a sport, and everyone knows that in order to watch sports effectively, you must listen to a few guys in suits giving their incredibly worthwhile and insightful commentary.

Well, maybe not.

Regardless, I'll be hosting a live broadcast of the Viridian Island Opener (Stormy Fell I) this weekend, featuring Cremate, Fixation, Cnuofesd and myself as "'cadecasters". The broadcast will consist of video of the entire board (Yay big screen resolution!) and our discussion. Furthermore, recordings of all three rounds will be available 'on demand' after the 'cade.

Tune in at http://livestream.com/blockadecommentary.

If this goes well, I'll start doing it for other blockades, with a variety of 'cadecasters.

WARNING: Commentary may at times be crude, offensive, insulting, or all three. Listener discretion is advised.

Moving forward, I'm looking at trying to do one blockade per weekend for now, but if this continues growing, I have some ideas about how to expand coverage to more 'cades per weekend (even consecutive ones) involving more people hosting CC teams at various blockades. This is something I can get into more detail about if there's enough interest expressed.

As to what blockades we'll show up at, we'll generally try to pick the 'biggest' or most significant blockade of the weekend. However, as the 24 hour notice is a little rough on us to gather a team to commit to show up, etc. (especially since it's less than 24 hours if we want to wait to see what other drops happen), the following notification policy will be in place.

If a flag wishes for their blockade to be 'Cade Casted, they may submit notification by Noon Game Time on Thursday (AKA, 24 hours before the drop window). When selecting what blockades to show up at for the weekend, blockades that we have received advance notice of will be prioritized. ALL INFORMATION GARNERED IN THIS MANNER WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL UNTIL THE DROP HAS BEEN MADE.

Moving along, there are a number of things I'm working on figuring out how to do to improve the overall experience; the first of these being a semi-transparent overlay that displays jobber numbers for each side as well as the current score. If anyone knows how to write something like that that would auto-update, that would be really cool, if not, I'll have to manually enter it in every few minutes, which is fine, but a little clunkier than optimal.

Archives of what we show up to will be kept to the best of our ability. Rounds 3 and 4 of Stormy Fell I got corrupted somehow, so in the future I'm going to make sure to save local copies as a backup, etc. A list of what's archived, along with links to each video, will be maintained here:

Stormy Fell I (Viridian)
Round 1
Round 2
Admiral XLVII (Sage)
Round One
Round Two

And lastly, if anyone wants to be a part of this, either with technical innovation, or as a commentator/host, shoot me a PM and we'll chat. The more the merrier. :D
----------------------------------------
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hazarath at Dec 12, 2011 6:24:37 PM]
[Dec 5, 2011 4:09:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

Re: 'Cade Casters Reply to this Post

Really really cool idea. I think if we share this with the average joe blockade jobbers, it will make the mysterious blockade weekend a little more transparent and get some people excited about blockading!
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Dec 5, 2011 11:21:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

I'll look into how to make an overlay.

Edit: I have no idea how to integrate it with the livestream thing, but what I can do is embed the livestream channel into a webpage and put a javascript thing on there that will display how many jobbers each side has (I think).
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Edit 1 times, last edit by randy_chimp at Dec 6, 2011 6:10:08 AM]
[Dec 6, 2011 6:07:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Really really cool idea. I think if we share this with the average joe blockade jobbers, it will make the mysterious blockade weekend a little more transparent and get some people excited about blockading!

That's kinda what I'm hoping. I'm not sure how to really get to them, though. Do you think tournaments would be effective, or should I ask both sides to spam the link around in their jobbing chat?
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 6, 2011 7:12:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Batistas8

That's kinda what I'm hoping. I'm not sure how to really get to them, though. Do you think tournaments would be effective, or should I ask both sides to spam the link around in their jobbing chat?

Could try both. If you talk to the flags before the cade maybe they could also post a link in their intent post as well. Awesome job so far though cant wait to hear the next broadcast.
Stonecold of viridian and malachite

Galene says: Am I the only one who realizes that the ENTIRE POINT of this game, and the only way to WIN, is to stand there spinning around in circles? You guys fail THE GAME

Nemesis says: You guys suck.
[Dec 6, 2011 7:20:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

From now on, whenever I post a flag issue regarding support, I'll try and post the link to your channel. Also, I suppose anytime I have to ask for support, I can always shoot them the link for them to post.

You could always have somebody post the link once or twice in cade crew jobber chat.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Dec 6, 2011 10:02:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Thanks guys, I think those are all good ideas, also, Dwiz. I think at the end of the day, just spamming the hell out of the link is proally gonna be most effective.

Also, thanks to all the people who're sending me PMs! It's pretty awesome to see this amount of support and involvement. :)
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 6, 2011 3:39:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyubi74

Well Hope that our broadcast goes well this Sunday, If you need anyone else in other Cades if you are short a broadcaster hit me up.
Kyubi
- Captain Of Ninety-Nine Problems -
- King Of No Apologies -
-Emerald-

Ky
=Captain Of Glad You Came=
=Member Of Knockout=
=Meridian=

Kyubi you have earned some massive respect from me - Yaruto
[Dec 6, 2011 5:14:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Added you to the list, Kyubi. :D
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 6, 2011 5:18:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I can gladly co-broadcast any blockade that happens Saturday AFTER 9:00PM Gametime. :)
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 6, 2011 6:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

I can gladly co-broadcast any blockade that happens Saturday AFTER 9:00PM Gametime. :)

I can almost guarantee I will never show up to broadcast a 'cade at this hour.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 6, 2011 7:22:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I can almost guarantee I will never show up to broadcast a 'cade at this hour.

:'(
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 7, 2011 12:52:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Iameric

As a Starcraft II fan, I watch many-a-stream on the site twitch.tv. I know that this site has a very large audience and is fairly easy to use; i've broadcasted myself playing sometimes just for fun. You may want to look in to broadcasting there, but if you're happy with what you're currently using, it seems to be working pretty well! Being a e-sports fan, this seems like a great idea!

Edit: On a side note, even though this is not an easy task to accomplish, try to minimize the time when talking isn't happening. It takes a really good caster to have close to none, but as a tip, keeping an eye on the clusters being fought over and trying to keep track of which ships are doing well, poorly, or anything other info like that which would help the viewer get a better understanding of the current situation on the board will help you a lot.
Iameric - Meridian/Emerald - Bacon Strips
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Iameric at Dec 7, 2011 7:12:06 PM]
[Dec 7, 2011 7:09:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

Apparently being on the nav team makes me unable to be an impartial commentator. pfft!
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Dec 8, 2011 12:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Awesome idea, just wondering, how do you communicate, with the other broadcasters, through vent or skype or something else?

Because, I'd love to join in as a broadcaster occasionally. :D
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Dec 8, 2011 12:41:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Vent channel hooked up to the live stream.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Dec 8, 2011 1:08:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

And it's official! 'Cade Casters will be at Admiral this weekend. The 'cade's at 9:15, pre-game show will start at 8:45.

Hope to see you all there. :)
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 10, 2011 9:55:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

And it's official! 'Cade Casters will be at Admiral this weekend. The 'cade's at 9:15, pre-game show will start at 8:45.

Hope to see you all there. :)

Might want to pre-game Basset :p
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Dec 10, 2011 3:10:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Added Admiral XLVII into the archive listing.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 12, 2011 6:25:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

I loved listening, so keep it up. Pick the best or what looks like as the best match up for a weekend and do this, I would certainly tune in because if I do have the chance I watch the cades.

If you ever need another broadcaster I am willing(if I am not participating).
Captainrich
[Dec 14, 2011 8:42:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Alright, we're gonna be at Penobscot this weekend. If you're wondering why we're going there instead of one of the larger island 'cades this weekend, there's a couple reasons.

1. The 'cades I'm involved with this weekend narrow the window I'm available to run Casters.

2. A nice three way 'cade will be fun.

3. I kinda like the idea of giving some attention to smaller flags at a smaller island.

'Cade starts at around 9:40, we'll start preshow at 9:20ish. As far as who the team is, due to how up in the air my situation's been, I'm not entirely sure. I have confirmed Cremate and Cnuofesd alongside myself, however. I'll update when I know for sure who else will be around.

As always, tune in at http://livestream.com/blockadecommentary.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 16, 2011 11:06:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PinGyp

An uninterrupted skype call would be nicer than the constant cutting off of vent!

Pingster flag officer chats, "Crap"
Capy flag officer chats, "I saw my name.... what did i do?"

[Dec 29, 2011 11:09:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

An uninterrupted skype call would be nicer than the constant cutting off of vent!

There's some technical reasons why this is less-than-optimal. Not to mention, it puts a lot more strain on the broadcasters to make sure that there is /never/ any noise in their background.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 29, 2011 11:46:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

This is a little far fetched, but what about trying to set up a new shanty raid-i-o type thing? I know the laws on internet radios have changed but it is plausible and possible.

A slight tangent, but I thought I'd say it anyway.
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Dec 31, 2011 5:40:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

This is a little far fetched, but what about trying to set up a new shanty raid-i-o type thing? I know the laws on internet radios have changed but it is plausible and possible.

Personally, I have no interest in putting in the time and effort to start up a new Shanty. I'd be happy to be a DJ or whatevs if someone else did it, but I don't want to take it on.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Dec 31, 2011 6:55:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stayclassy

I'd rather see something that catches you up through the week in YPP and talk YPP politics
Nopolitics
[Dec 31, 2011 7:48:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

Personally, I have no interest in putting in the time and effort to start up a new Shanty. I'd be happy to be a DJ or whatevs if someone else did it, but I don't want to take it on.

I'd love to set it up, but a lack of interest, inspiration and too much work have stopped me :( But for anyone who IS interested, head over to http://www.shoutcast.com/
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Jan 2, 2012 11:49:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

And we're back! We'll be at Bowditch today, so tune in! Pregame starts at 2:30 pirate.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Jan 14, 2012 12:56:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

We're at Kirin in half an hour!

I really need to get better about advance warning for these things.
Morbuzaan

Cremate wrote: 

[Jan 28, 2012 11:28:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates