• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3701 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Karnisov

Basic Stuff, like as basic as tie your shoes stuff, that OOO fails at Reply to this Post

Over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday there was a 25% off sale for the 42 dub package. Valve's Steam has shown us that sales are a good way to increase revenue, provided they are properly advertised. Unfortunately OOO has problems crossing its T's and dotting its I's, so basic stuff like advertising your sale on mediums that would cost you nothing, like your very own website and facebook page, just doesn't happen.

Here, go ahead and look at the official pp page on facebook, no mention of the sale: http://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates?sk=wall

And no mention in the news section of the official pp site: http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/spyglass/

No mention under the PP app news on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=99910

No mention on the official PP twitter feed: http://twitter.com/#!/PuzzlePirates

It's failure on basic stuff like this, coupled with lack of communication with the playerbase and lack of real content updates that reinforces the perception among Puzzle Pirates players that OOO doesn't give a flying **** about the game. Choose whatever 4 letter word you think fits best.
----------------------------------------
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Nov 27, 2011 10:19:09 AM]
[Nov 27, 2011 9:36:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Basic Stuff, like as basic as tie your shoes stuff, that OOO fails at Reply to this Post

Yeah, there was a lack of communication regarding the doubloon sale, no need to fly off the handle about it though.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Nov 27, 2011 1:57:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

Re: Basic Stuff, like as basic as tie your shoes stuff, that OOO fails at Reply to this Post

Over the 4 day Thanksgiving holiday there was a 25% off sale for the 42 dub package. Valve's Steam has shown us that sales are a good way to increase revenue, provided they are properly advertised. Unfortunately OOO has problems crossing its T's and dotting its I's, so basic stuff like advertising your sale on mediums that would cost you nothing, like your very own website and facebook page, just doesn't happen.

Really? I saw it right in front of me on the news page every time I logged in, so it was reaching anyone who actually played the game. Seems like it was working to me.

And you shouldn't speak of dotting T's and crossing I's when you can't even get the date right. Silly American, Thanksgiving was 2 months ago! :)
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Nov 27, 2011 2:42:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

Chances are if you're buying doubs or sub time you will log into the game frequently.
Logging into th game frequently allows you to see the News page that pops up when you log in frequently.
Seeisn the news page frequesntly when you log in allows you to see the sale ad.
Therefore, they didn't do anything wrong.

As you can see, the ad method they chose suited the goal of the ad. To get subbers and doub-buyers to buy more.
If, however, it was a new content ad designed to draw people back who don't play / don't play often, then they should consider website, facebook etc. ads.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Nov 27, 2011 6:17:32 PM]
[Nov 27, 2011 6:15:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I have to say, while I'm not as irritated as the OP, I certainly would have come and bought cheap dubs had I seen the ad somewhere. I was home with my family for Thanksgiving - I don't play YPP when I'm home, but I do read my email (spyglass included) and keep up with Twitter. Had I seen the deal announced in either of those places, I absolutely would have bought some dubs.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Nov 28, 2011 7:15:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Texasborn

I agree with the OP and I don't see the author "flying off the handle". We all want the game more active, we all want more players. OOO Rings continues to say they are committed to keeping the game alive and growing it. Now is the time to advertise sales. People were shopping this weekend, looking for deals.

As for the advertisement when you log in, that's just it. You had to log into the game to see the special. I don't always have time to log on to see specials, but if there is a special I will usually log in and purchase.
Texasborn
Captain of Titan's Rebirth
Monarch of Golden Destiny
Tex's music box
[Nov 28, 2011 9:54:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

I agree with the OP and I don't see the author "flying off the handle". We all want the game more active, we all want more players. OOO Rings continues to say they are committed to keeping the game alive and growing it. Now is the time to advertise sales. People were shopping this weekend, looking for deals.

As for the advertisement when you log in, that's just it. You had to log into the game to see the special. I don't always have time to log on to see specials, but if there is a special I will usually log in and purchase.

I don't think anybody shopping around would have decided to buy doubloons if they didn't already play the game. And if they played the game, they were aware of the sale (with some exceptions of people not being around for the 4 days on offer.)
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Nov 28, 2011 11:55:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

To be fair, I'm sure not all players, even if they log on often, give the Notice Board a detailed read on the daily.
[Nov 28, 2011 12:52:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Alesanaftw wrote: 
Chances are if you're buying doubs or sub time you will log into the game frequently.
Logging into th game frequently allows you to see the News page that pops up when you log in frequently.
Seeisn the news page frequesntly when you log in allows you to see the sale ad.
Therefore, they didn't do anything wrong.

ok i guess i wasn't clear enough in the original post. the fail on basic stuff is a symptom of a deeper problem at OOO. the deeper problem is a culture of sloppy execution. we saw it in the broken atlantis div for 2+ years, we see it in the unbalanced fanchuan release, and we see it when OOO can't even put forward the effort to advertise something that would directly benefit their bottom line.

until the culture of sloppy execution gets addressed, the game is going to continue suffer.
Karnisov
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Nov 28, 2011 3:34:03 PM]
[Nov 28, 2011 1:31:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Disgraced

I play actively, and tend to log on multiple times I day. I wasn't aware of the special until I came across this thread.
Bunnyspawn, prince of Coherent Insanity on Meridian.

Jdilla's wench on Emerald.
[Nov 28, 2011 1:43:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

the deeper problem is a culture of sloopy execution

One word in this quote has a red squiggly under it in Firefox.

Not that there isn't a red squiggly under the name "Firefox", but people in glass-bottomed sloops shouldn't drop LCBs. (There is a red squiggly under LCBs, too, clearly OOO FAILS in getting common terminology implemented in an open sauce bruiser's spelling chequer!)
[Nov 28, 2011 1:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

yes unfortunately O and P are right beside each other on the keyboard. it has been fixed though, unlike fanchuans which are still being spawned on sloop pillys. perhaps there was a Freudian slip there on my part with sloop pillys being broken in the back of my head. :P
Karnisov
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Karnisov at Nov 28, 2011 3:39:45 PM]
[Nov 28, 2011 3:37:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

yes unfortunately O and P are right beside each other. it has been fixed though, unlike fanchuans which are still being spawned on sloop pillys. perhaps there was a Freudian slip there on my part with sloop pillys being broken in the back of my head. :P

So is there a reason that you type "y" rather than "age"? To me, an "age" is quite a few centuries, let alone "yrs", and when I type it, I typically start off with my left pinky, then my right index finger, and I complete the combo with a middle-finger upper-row flourish.

Perhaps I should just give you a multiple-finger Freudian flourish, but rather than be ruder than I've already been, I'll ask you not to be too.

Is it so difficult when STARTING a thread to try to phrase it in such a way that the premise has a "glass half full" context? Had you simply posted "OOO, missed opportunity, suggestions for improvement" as the topic title, even with the same OP text, you wouldn't come across as a troll to me, and perhaps I wouldn't to you.

Yes, sometimes on-line discussions get heated, but I'm sorry to say that by your initial attitude you don't get away with correcting typos after the fact when you won't allow OOO the same.

Did a single player post on these forums about the alleged offer until you did? I didn't see it in the awesometastic thread.
[Nov 28, 2011 3:54:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

i think you're failing to see the difference between typos that get addressed quickly, and festering problems that never get addressed even though many people have screamed about it on game design on multiple occasions. do i personally care if OOO makes less because they are too dumb to advertise a sale? no. but it gives me some convenient evidence to help illustrate what the real problems are at OOO.

as for starting glass half full, that would require me to possess certain amount of goodwill toward OOO, which they used up about 2 years ago. the only people who are not on my poop list are the OMs, because they are not directly involved with development, and Forculus, because he is new.
Karnisov
[Nov 28, 2011 4:12:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

i think you're failing to see the difference ...

I realise that you've probably missed my P.M. to you, and I am glad to see that you are at least not completely in the glass empty school.

I used to be a software developer, quite a good one in fact. I know whereof I speak when I say that when maintaining a product which has been developed over a decade, it becomes harder and harder to implement new features.

One problem developers have is unrealistic expectations from customers. I realise that the current thread is about the "phail" of advertising, but you've made it clear where your frustration lies (in a fair way, I should add; I can understand the frustration).

For the record, my frustration was with being expected to compete (solo) with a software product which had a GF-sized crew behind it, which unsurprisingly had 10x more & better features and also was 10x cheaper. The competitor (in this supposedly vertical market) also had a nine figure budget and was developed by a company I cannot identify other than by the anagram mocrosift.

To put it differently, I doubt that I fail to see any difference, because I actually know how hard it is to produce good software and above all how to maintain it whilst adding new features, and you either don't or are just being grumpy on the forums in an unhelpful way.

I personally don't have problems with a sale which is only directed at existing customers, because even though I am crap at sales, I recognise that repeat custom is great. I fully agree that if you have a sale, you might as well open it up to all, but I'll tell you one more thing:

If I were e-mailed roughly once per year by OOO that there is a special offer for each (most) of their games, they'll likely get some money. They won't if they spam me. I like SMALL push for advertising, and it seems that OOO does too. I haven't played much SK since I paid for it, but I can. I haven't played much YPP recently, but I can.

YPP is no longer the flagship; if you want to have it advertised, advertise it. It is still a great game.
[Nov 28, 2011 4:47:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Texasborn

As to whether or not someone would or would not have bought dubs let me just add this...as the mother of a gamer I would go to a game's website to look for specials during Christmas time for the purpose of buying game cards. If I didn't see any advertisements for special buys, I moved on. I did not take the time to create a character and then log into the game to find the deals. Therefor the argument of a general passerby not being interested is not entirely accurate.

If OOO rings did not intend for everyone to be privy to the special, then they did their job, IMO. Perhaps they only wanted the current players to partake of an extra something special. Shame on us for not checking the news/NB when we log on, I guess.
Texasborn
Captain of Titan's Rebirth
Monarch of Golden Destiny
Tex's music box
[Nov 29, 2011 11:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

It's not just YPP. OOO is proceeding to screw up their new game's website in stupid ways, too. Apparently, they're in closed beta. However, there's still recent press releases that link to their website. Any potential players that click that link get the incredibly exciting:

401 Authorization Required
---------------------------------------------------------------
nginx/1.0.8

Real professional, eh?
[Dec 4, 2011 11:35:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

It's not just YPP. OOO is proceeding to screw up their new game's website in stupid ways, too. Apparently, they're in closed beta. However, there's still recent press releases that link to their website. Any potential players that click that link get the incredibly exciting:

401 Authorization Required
---------------------------------------------------------------
nginx/1.0.8

Real professional, eh?

I'll bite.

In the SWTOR beta, the content was awesome, and gameplay fun, but as a registered player invited to test, it was worse than anything OOO has ever done.

That's BioWare and LucasArts, both of which have been around for much longer than OOO.

Did I complain? No. Did I offer constructive criticism of a game I do not intend to purchase? Yes.

Can you people (not specific to this thread or the poster I am responding to) please grow up a bit and accept that developing and marketing games is not only a very competitive marketplace, but also not all that easy? Cheers!
[Dec 4, 2011 12:22:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Can you people (not specific to this thread or the poster I am responding to) please grow up a bit and accept that developing and marketing games is not only a very competitive marketplace, but also not all that easy?

No, it's not easy. However, OOO is messing up even the easy stuff. Putting a "hey, we have a sale!" on your blog is not rocket science. You don't need to be a genius to realize that nuking your own website is bad.
[Dec 4, 2011 5:08:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates