• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 47
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5337 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
Setsusa

RAF, doing what we do every weekend

RAF will be contesting at Dragon's Nest tomorrow morning for the island opening event. We will be running out of RiddleMakers, because it's convenient.

Time: 10 am, November 26th
Yes, sinking, also there will be some haul spots, since we're interested in winning the island, our navvers may even attempt to avoid them to keep jobbers on station, but if it can be managed, we'll try to hit some of these.
Where: Dragon's Nest, we said that already!
Jobbing will begin at 9 am, and pay will start at whatever Knockout begins at (we expect them to contest), or lacking their presence, 750/segment.
Why? Read on:

Currently, if we win, we do not plan to open an island. (More on this below). The flag that sends us the most jobber support (tracked through Avienda's app by minutes puzzled) will be given the privilege to decide which "Midnight" package they would like. Stolen from Apollo's thread, they are listed here:

* a package of 'charm' for an island you own (as always, choice and location of charm must be approved before being placed by an OM - the final decision won't be made within the 48 hour period for prize claims, but as long as the prize has been chosen by then, the discussion can start) - see the Charm Packages section below for your choice of packages, but note that the details may need to change depending on the island you are adorning.
* a grandiose flag hall (or an upgade to grandiose if you currently have a smaller one)
* a flag SMH - we will provide ship (your choice of size), stock, map (your choice of SMH type) and at least one OM to come along and puzzle for an hour or two, but you need to run the SMH! If you do well, and port the voyage safely, we may even throw some bonus PoE into the booty!
Charm package options:
-- Fountain with 2 wildflower planters
-- Pirate statue, either male or female plus 2 wildflower planters
-- Group of 3 sleeping pigs/piglets plus a trough
-- Group of 3 sleeping turtles/tortoises plus a driftwood
-- Well plus some greenery (exact details would depend on existing island vegetation - but e.g. 2 trees, 3 bushes, some scrubgrass)
-- Pair of armor (sword or spear, but must be two of the same type), must be paired and put in a suitable location

The flag that sends out the second most jobber support will receive a war frig with 1200 large cannon balls and 500 rum, we will arrange to get it to the arch you want, and if you like, an Atlantis or Haunted Seas map on the arch. (We'll try to be island specific but I don't want to guarantee it since I personally cannot fulfill such a statement). In addition, provided you give us a time that you plan to go on your run, Dahlgren, Whiterose and Anchovia will job for you if they are available. Essentially, they will owe you an hour or two of puzzling time.

The flag sending the third most jobber support will receive 100k. And a special thanks cookie.

There are two sides to opening an island now, so here are the pros and cons as we see them, others may disagree, or agree, but if you wish to offer your opinion please do so respectfully. We all play this game, we all have opinions, and frankly, if you can support it, each person's opinion is good as any others. Refrain from turning this thread into a tartfest over whether someone's opinion is right or wrong.

Pros:

A few exciting blockades guaranteed (colonization, likely attack the following week)
More iron spawn in Garnet (Iron already spawns in Garnet)
More of the map can be easily accessed (From skimming forums, this is one of the few remaining areas that is difficult)?
A new large is open and in player hands

Cons:

The past has shown that after a few initial weeks of excitement, the island will sit under one flag for awhile
Whichever flag owns the island will be able to pave an entirely fresh large, if they are able to sit on it, this will be a massive PoE influx, tearing apart the parity that has begun to develop and make whichever flag owns the island heavily resource laden
The blockade scene in the past few months hasn't really suggested that another large is needed, or could be supported with blockades. Large blockades don't happen very often, why would another large change this?

Unfortunately, Apollo has said that some sort of situation where the island is opened a few months from now cannot be arranged, don't try and read through the strikeout, it's painful, just send me a PM if you want to know what it says.

If you noticed, above I said "currently" plan. We have sent it through to Apollo to see if it would be allowed, and we are interested in the player base's thoughts. Would opening an island 6 months from now, given that some sort of condition (likely related to blockade activity) be an acceptable alternative to opening one now? If Apollo says we can do this, we'd probably need player support to the idea in a fairly unanimous manner, as well as a good list of pros and cons between opening an island now, and opening one later, when we've given time to see if another large could be supported with blockades, or if the last few weekends have just been abnormalities. If this does go through, the ringers agree to it and the player base supports the idea, the first prize mentioned above will be altered so the flag sending the most jobbing support can select which island they would like opened six months from now if the conditions (not sure how those will be agreed upon just yet, probably by a public discussion) are met. If they are not, no island is opened, and the first prize stands as is.

A bit of tl;dr, but worth it, I think.

Now, some of us (Anchovia) aren't so super pro with their ventrilo settings, so I apologize that my mic is loud whereas Dahlgren's is very quiet in the following video. Also, it only took two hours because Ancho didn't do a good enough job of supervising. Write it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zUhbUAP5qY

See you on the board tomorrow!
----------------------------------------
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Setsusa at Nov 26, 2011 8:35:54 AM]
[Nov 25, 2011 6:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

Re: RAF, doing what we do every weekend

"It has to be two slices for a sandwhich?"
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Nov 25, 2011 6:22:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

Haha.
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Nov 25, 2011 6:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

Support.
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Nov 25, 2011 6:48:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

/e coughs, whoever made that video. You spelled 'Pannkakor' wrong. :D
Sincerely
[Nov 25, 2011 7:03:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sirbrannigan

"It has to be two slices for a sandwhich?"

This. Made my day. Dahl, I miss you so much it hurts. </3
Aethonx tells ye, "see, your sheepish charms only work on those who add an r to ass."
[Nov 25, 2011 7:34:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Dahl as too many chicks over him keeping him busy, prob his accent or something; he has this chick and the other one and that other and the one Anchy knows and that one chick on the smh aswell, gosh I lost count already.
Roseh

[Nov 25, 2011 8:01:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

The flag that sends us the most jobber support (tracked through Avienda's app by minutes puzzled)

Hey, I didn't promise that! xD But ok, I'll do it lol.

Good luck, anyway!
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 26, 2011 12:55:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Hey! I asked you earlier today :P
Roseh

[Nov 26, 2011 2:06:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

/e coughs, whoever made that video. You spelled 'Pannkakor' wrong. :D
I copied what Dahl wrote! Plus, I always thought it was spelled "pankakor" since that is what's on the Ikea packaging.
Anchovia
[Nov 26, 2011 2:31:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

Does there really have to be two slices for it to be a sandwich?

Who decides these things?
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Nov 26, 2011 4:46:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

Well yes, otherwise it isn't a sandwich. However given that it's sandwich related I feel we should let the experts (women) decide because of how often they make them.
Seepnah
[Nov 26, 2011 5:54:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

A sandwich is some filling between two pieces of bread. Now, you could fold a slice of bread in half and that would still be a sandwich, but considering how we were talking about scrambled eggs on toast, that would not be a sandwich.
Anchovia
[Edit 1 times, last edit by anchovygirl at Nov 26, 2011 7:10:55 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 6:26:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Tell Whiterose she can't cade nav because she is a girl. Day officially has been made.

P.S. She is actually pretty good <3
Captainrich
[Nov 26, 2011 6:27:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Tell Whiterose she can't cade nav because she is a girl. Day officially has been made.

...For a girl.
[removed by SOPA]
[Nov 26, 2011 6:41:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

...For a girl.

lulz
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 26, 2011 6:50:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

If you noticed, above I said "currently" plan. We have sent it through to Apollo to see if it would be allowed, and we are interested in the player base's thoughts. Would opening an island 6 months from now, given that some sort of condition (likely related to blockade activity) be an acceptable alternative to opening one now? If Apollo says we can do this, we'd probably need player support to the idea in a fairly unanimous manner, as well as a good list of pros and cons between opening an island now, and opening one later, when we've given time to see if another large could be supported with blockades, or if the last few weekends have just been abnormalities. If this does go through, the ringers agree to it and the player base supports the idea, the first prize mentioned above will be altered so the flag sending the most jobbing support can select which island they would like opened six months from now if the conditions (not sure how those will be agreed upon just yet, probably by a public discussion) are met. If they are not, no island is opened, and the first prize stands as is.

Why six months though? I don't think we need that much time.
Poloboy
So pce
[Nov 26, 2011 7:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

A sandwich is some filling between two pieces of bread. Now, you could fold a slice of bread in half and that would still be a sandwich, but considering how we were talking about scrambled eggs on toast, that would not be a sandwich.

......Define bread?Eggs on toast could TOTALLY be a sandwhich
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jongy5 at Nov 26, 2011 7:37:31 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 7:36:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Regarding the 6-month period, do you mean this would put off the decision for 6 months and when the time comes, you'd decide whether or not an island would be opened or would you approve an opening that would happen in 6 months? Either way, I don't see how this makes any difference. I highly doubt we're going to see a population increase sufficient to sustain or warrant another island opening.
[removed by SOPA]
[Nov 26, 2011 7:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

Regarding the 6-month period, do you mean this would put off the decision for 6 months and when the time comes, you'd decide whether or not an island would be opened or would you approve an opening that would happen in 6 months? Either way, I don't see how this makes any difference. I highly doubt we're going to see a population increase sufficient to sustain or warrant another island opening.

I was thinking the same thing. But I don't think population is the problem, I think they are putting it off for 6 months so that they can see if the blockade scene would stay active enough to have a meaning for another island opening.
Poloboy
So pce
[Nov 26, 2011 8:09:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Right, you need a decent blockade scene to make it worthwhile, but you also need a population that'll properly colonize the island. Building up an island means nothing if you don't have the demand that'll sustain the island's economy.

We'll just end up with the inevitable addition of another two dozen shoppes (at least) on a ghost town island that'll only add to the already flooded pool of shoppes available on the ocean.
[removed by SOPA]
[Nov 26, 2011 8:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sirbrannigan

What about open-faced sandwiches? They need love too.
Aethonx tells ye, "see, your sheepish charms only work on those who add an r to ass."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sirbrannigan at Nov 26, 2011 8:28:31 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 8:27:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Somewhat along the lines of the last few posts, to see if the blockade scene really is picking up and could sustain it. 6 months was an arbitrary time that was selected, 2 or 3 months may have been more appropriate. However, Apollo has informed me that changing the prize conditions like that cannot be done at this point, so I will edit the main post so everything makes sense the way it stands now.

It was an attempt at a compromise between no opening and an opening right now, but oh well.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Setsusa at Nov 26, 2011 8:32:07 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 8:30:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

Right, you need a decent blockade scene to make it worthwhile, but you also need a population that'll properly colonize the island. Building up an island means nothing if you don't have the demand that'll sustain the island's economy.

We'll just end up with the inevitable addition of another two dozen shoppes (at least) on a ghost town island that'll only add to the already flooded pool of shoppes available on the ocean.

I have to agree on those points aswell. Sidenote I hope whoever wins and opens a new island doesn't pave every inch.
Poloboy
So pce
[Nov 26, 2011 8:54:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Welp, even when pay reaches its limit, KO finds a way to outjob 2:1.

Edit: pay, not jobbing
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Nov 26, 2011 9:46:07 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 9:44:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

I guess it shows that more people were interested in opening the island, and we were wrong.

Avienda said the jobbing information will take a few hours to get straightened out, so we'll update here when we have that available.

Aside from that, thanks to all the jobbers that came out to support us, you all did a great job. It was a fun kade, and congratulations to KO on the win. Now we wait and see what they decide to do.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[Nov 26, 2011 11:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
one4u2c12

Fun cade and finally we won't hear about a paywar with this one. Good job both sides and congrats KO.
Poloboy
So pce
[Edit 1 times, last edit by one4u2c12 at Nov 26, 2011 11:28:05 AM]
[Nov 26, 2011 11:11:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Motou wrote: 

Avienda said the jobbing information will take a few hours to get straightened out, so we'll update here when we have that available.

It currently says 335 minutes left (delay in order to not break the rules for 3P tools), meaning that I will leave my computer running overnight, and just hope that my internet doesn't crash. Then it will take me about 30-60 minutes to translate crude numbers into an index that can be compared (taking both ratio and total jobbing time into account), which I might or might not be able to do before Jub/Terra start tomorrow, depending on how fast we can get staff etc sorted. All in all, I will have those numbers either before or after Legacy's blockades tomorrow.

Yeah... That was probably way more info than anyone wanted, but anyway. I can post a jobber graph if anyone wants, but I don't think anyone really expected this to be an even jobbing blockade.

Also, more importantly, thank you both sides for a very exciting round! Well fought!
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 26, 2011 1:06:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
legolas_yeah

Motou wrote: 

It currently says 335 minutes left (delay in order to not break the rules for 3P tools), meaning that I will leave my computer running overnight, and just hope that my internet doesn't crash. Then it will take me about 30-60 minutes to translate crude numbers into an index that can be compared (taking both ratio and total jobbing time into account), which I might or might not be able to do before Jub/Terra start tomorrow, depending on how fast we can get staff etc sorted. All in all, I will have those numbers either before or after Legacy's blockades tomorrow.

Yeah... That was probably way more info than anyone wanted, but anyway. I can post a jobber graph if anyone wants, but I don't think anyone really expected this to be an even jobbing blockade.

Also, more importantly, thank you both sides for a very exciting round! Well fought!

Id love to see a jobbing graph Avi
Legolars on all oceans + Losgar on malachite
[Nov 26, 2011 3:04:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Legolars wrote: 
Id love to see a jobbing graph Avi

Oki.

Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

[Nov 26, 2011 3:29:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates