• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17581 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
rixation

[Updated] Ship sizes Reply to this Post

Yes, I know this horse has been beaten to death, but something that happened during the Jorvik blockade makes me question a tiny bit of the data we have posted regarding ship capacities. Rather than bump a post from 2 years ago, I'm starting fresh.

I made this up cause I hate vertical text. Images courtesy of the YPP Tools and Photoshop, feel free to say "ooooh" and "aaahh". ;)

Now, I think the last count was 181 pirates on a Grand Frig this weekend, so it is now presumed the max pirates on a GF is 200. What other information has changed recently, or is that the only known inaccuracy?

[size=7]Edit 1: Correcting Frig volumes/weights (Faulkston)
Edit 2: Correcting Merch Brig shot (KingGoob)
Edit 3: I got bored, created a bloated image chart
Edit 4: Shrinking file sizes, changing paths, and adding sinking informational chart
Edit 5: Correcting GF pirates back to 150 (RD and Mankette)
Edit 6: Correcting WF Max (Darvian)
Edit 7: Changing Sinking to Maxing, and adding new Sinking chart (Darvian)
----------------------------------------
Epimetheus
Retired

[Edit 8 times, last edit by rixation at Apr 18, 2005 12:08:09 AM]
[Apr 18, 2005 12:08:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: [Updated] Ship sizes Reply to this Post

The volumes and weights of the last three ships on that list have always been around the other way. Ships max out weight on cargo way before they max out volume.

Faulkston,
fixing
[Apr 18, 2005 2:42:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Thanks for posting this up-date it just happened to be what I was looking for. However I can't seem to find any opinions of what is considered to be the sensible minimum crew levels for each ship. Any advice will be speculative but I could do with a little guidance before embarking on maiden pillages in my new War & Grand Frigates. No doubt the info is already out there but it took me twenty minutes to find this post, so if anyone knows...

Regards Seasnake Proud owner of the Active Tigerfish (GF)
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

RedDog wrote: 
Any advice will be speculative but I could do with a little guidance before embarking on maiden pillages in my new War & Grand Frigates.

There's no way to tell you how many people you need because its totally dependent on their skill. 5 ultimate carpers might or might not be equivalent to 20 able ones, etc.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Apr 19, 2005 5:15:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Grand Frigates have 16 bilging stations.

War Frigates have 22 gunning stations, while Grand Frigates have 24.

Faulkston,
will count stations again and no doubt come up with another set of values
[Apr 19, 2005 8:58:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

I thought GF's maxxed at 150. Did that change?

(I recall 150 to 150 battles on that ruby pillage...)

EDIT: We'll find out for certain as soon as the first GF is made in viridian ... (ETA: 2 weeks)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Apr 19, 2005 2:49:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

BehindCurtai wrote: 
I thought GF's maxxed at 150. Did that change?

(I recall 150 to 150 battles on that ruby pillage...)

EDIT: We'll find out for certain as soon as the first GF is made in viridian ... (ETA: 2 weeks)

Yes, RD was paying on a GF this past weekend and >150 were able to board.
Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Apr 19, 2005 2:54:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Korhil

ed315 wrote: 

For what its worth.

---Korhil
Robertdonald says, "had a great time sinking stuff, see you guys at jorvik VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, and XIII"

Officer - Black Opal
[Apr 19, 2005 3:07:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

ed315 wrote: 

This is exactly what inspired me to make this post requesting updated information.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 19, 2005 9:39:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

200 on a Grand Frig? Where's Barrenmore when you need him?
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Apr 19, 2005 11:54:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Alrighty, updated the first post with all relevant info so far...and in case you didn't notice, created a quick visual reference chart. I hate vertical text. Really, I do.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 21, 2005 4:21:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

If you can put 200 on a GF, then maybe 200 well trained SF'ers with half a board can take on 100 skellies...
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Apr 21, 2005 2:47:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enders_bean

AquaDrake wrote: 
If you can put 200 on a GF, then maybe 200 well trained SF'ers with half a board can take on 100 skellies...

What I been thinking :)
Cheers to those who are tired to being OK at everything, and exceptional at nothing.
[Apr 21, 2005 10:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Your image is broken, at least for me.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 22, 2005 3:04:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

54x wrote: 
Your image is broken, at least for me.

Hmm, still works for me locally as well as from remote sessions. Anyone else experiencing this? I guess I can just move the image...I'll do that tomorrow..just got off a 6 hour pillage, kinda tired. /me passes out.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 22, 2005 5:33:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Rastigi wrote: 
RedDog wrote: 
Any advice will be speculative but I could do with a little guidance before embarking on maiden pillages in my new War & Grand Frigates.

There's no way to tell you how many people you need because its totally dependent on their skill. 5 ultimate carpers might or might not be equivalent to 20 able ones, etc.

Well I would rather have 20 able than 5 ultimates anyway but someone must know if a GF is sailable with 14, or or needs 40+. Obviously I would like the thing full to overflowing, but I don't want to take it out if it takes 12 hours to sail to the next island beacause we can't either control the damage or get sails past 1/8th speed.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Apr 25, 2005 5:03:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

The rule of thumb I go by on staffing ships is you need at least 1/2 of the maximum capacity if everyone is consistently pulling Fair or Good. For example, max on a cutter is 12, I like 6 (whether swabbies or players) even though you can solo a cutter efficiently. Max on a Merch Brig is 20, so I staff at least 10 and do great. I usually have to have a minimum of 16 on a Galleon, but 22 works wonderfully. Going backwards, most people can solo a sloop without any trouble...and look at the number of swabbies you get in proportion to the max. Makes sense right? I have very little experience running War Brigs and Frigs though, sorry.

But, using this logic, you need at least 90-100 pirates on a GF to run it successfully. Good luck.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 25, 2005 8:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kat_attack

o&a Reply to this Post

ooh and ahh :)

I just had to. I mean, come on. How could this have lived this long and one of the forum ninjas not beaten me to it? It was begging to happen. Nice charty chart.

Just to avoid the post count slam, why do they have cannons not divisible by 4? Have always found that to be a tad frustrating. Of course, I am pretty anal and hate that it does not divide evenly per gunner.
Katattacksme, Boochin Katfish
Ironguts says, "You're standing in greatness has gone up and is now Ultimate in your own mind."
-----> Fun browser game when not pirating! Clicky Clicky <-
[Apr 25, 2005 8:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.boochinkatfish.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

You used to be able to gun with 2, 4, or 6 cannons, depending on what you chose from the radial dial. Are you sure that its not just the cannon images that aren't divisible by 4? The ships were all changed to have multiples of 4 in fact (like for a long time cutters had only 6 gun stations, but they actually have 8 guns now).
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Apr 25, 2005 10:54:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Rastigi wrote: 
like for a long time cutters had only 6 gun stations, but they actually have 8 guns now

See, now THIS is the type of information I'm trying to gather to update the chart in my first post.

To directly answer your question though, no, not all ships have been updated to multiples of 4 for guns. Galleons definitely only have 10 guns. But, like I've posted before, there is a hole in the hull of the galley on the Galleon on both sides for 2 extra guns, but they put 4 bilge stations in those spots instead...so instead of 12 guns, we have 10.
/me shrugs
I don't get it either.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 25, 2005 11:05:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

rixation wrote: 
Rastigi wrote: 
like for a long time cutters had only 6 gun stations, but they actually have 8 guns now

See, now THIS is the type of information I'm trying to gather to update the chart in my first post.

To directly answer your question though, no, not all ships have been updated to multiples of 4 for guns. Galleons definitely only have 10 guns. But, like I've posted before, there is a hole in the hull of the galley on the Galleon on both sides for 2 extra guns, but they put 4 bilge stations in those spots instead...so instead of 12 guns, we have 10.
/me shrugs
I don't get it either.

Galleons have 10 gun stations, but actually have 12 guns to load. So you can have 3 gunners using 4 stations. Thats what I mean by they updated all the ships to multiples of 4 guns....they didn't change the stations or redesign the ships, they just added max guns.
Bubbablue,
Cleaver wrote: 

[Apr 25, 2005 11:13:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Rastigi wrote: 
they didn't change the stations or redesign the ships, they just added max guns.

Ah, okay. Sorry for the confusion.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 25, 2005 11:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

rixation wrote: 
But, using this logic, you need at least 90-100 pirates on a GF to run it successfully. Good luck.

I've run a GF with just 28 people. It might not be the best way to run one, but it works. I would suggest you use a WF first tought, most of the time a GF just doesn't work and is just for show.
[Apr 25, 2005 11:40:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Greeble

Heh, now all someone needs to do is combine this purty chart with the shots needed to max/sink per cball size and I'll be one happy pirate.

Any volunteers?
Hypnos Score: 2.5

Wolfmanm says, "you are my outfit hero, greeble"

[May 3, 2005 11:00:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Greeble wrote: 
Heh, now all someone needs to do is combine this purty chart with the shots needed to max/sink per cball size and I'll be one happy pirate.

Any volunteers?

I'll do it if you want to wait a few days... ;)
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 3, 2005 12:03:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

159 can fit on a Grand Frigate.

Don't ask me why such a weird number is the maximum.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[May 3, 2005 2:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

rixation wrote: 
Now, I think the last count was 181 pirates on a Grand Frig this weekend, ....

So that's wrong?

Why doesn't someone just ask an OM?
[size=9](Well, I can't because I don't have access to the game right now)
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[May 4, 2005 6:49:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

AySz88 wrote: 
rixation wrote: 

So that's wrong?

[size=9](Well, I can't because I don't have access to the game right now)

This was during payment after Eta, nobody else could board the ship, so poor RD had to pay them by hand later.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 4, 2005 7:25:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
MrFisherman

OK, I'm waiting...

rixation wrote: 
Greeble wrote: 

Any volunteers?

I'll do it if you want to wait a few days... ;)

[May 7, 2005 5:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

AySz88 wrote: 
rixation wrote: 

So that's wrong?

I was arguing with a hearty over whether or not the numbers had changed (after I was on the boat with 159). He asked the OM online, who said the max hadn't changed and it was probably lag or something. Not sure if 181 would have the same explanation though :p
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[May 7, 2005 6:52:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates