• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 53
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6499 times and has 52 replies Next Thread
am1991

Dragon's Nest Event Cade

Looking on the Notice Board, It seems there is an event cade scheduled in a week and a half at Dragon's Nest. I don't recall this happening before.. Is it a sign of the island being opened or has this happened before?
----------------------------------------
~Tigerscar Of Viridian~
Captain of the Crew "Uprising"
Founder/King of the Flag "Notorious"

[Nov 15, 2011 6:21:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rissarissa13

Re: Dragon's Nest Event Cade

they do them sometimes....
Riss -Sweet Surrender -Princess of Imperial Coalition - Meridian

But, even when our hopes give way to reality and we finally have to surrender to the truth, it just means we've lost today battle. Not tomorrows war. - Grey's Anatomy

[Nov 15, 2011 7:15:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
am1991

they do them sometimes....

Boo. I got excited
~Tigerscar Of Viridian~
Captain of the Crew "Uprising"
Founder/King of the Flag "Notorious"

[Nov 15, 2011 7:28:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chillii

It hasn't ever been open, I don't see what would change the OM's minds after so many years.
Chillii.
[Nov 15, 2011 9:42:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skater9029

It hasn't ever been open

Tell that to the Sun Dynasty on Cobalt.
Joncole
On all oceans.

Fixation officer chats, "I can ride the small ones, but the big ones scare the living crap out of me"
[Nov 15, 2011 9:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

It hasn't ever been open

Tell that to the Sun Dynasty on Cobalt.

OMH! The cobwebs of my memory have been shaken. Owtch!

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Nov 16, 2011 5:17:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=176028

Now we know why.
Anchovia
[Nov 16, 2011 9:16:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Possibly the worst idea for Viridian is to open an island this year;I hope theres a flag with the balls to break out of the box and go for the no island package; can't say you care about Viridians blockading scene and pick an island to open.
Roseh

[Nov 16, 2011 10:18:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

RAF should block the opener.
[Nov 16, 2011 10:22:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

The last thing viridian needs is another new island opening. Sure the scene is livening up as of late but I don't think we need another island right now.
Seepnah
[Nov 16, 2011 10:45:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

I'd prefer no opening as well. It won't just be about an island opening, though, since there's PoE to be won. People will probably want to take there own ships in to TH. If everyone can be encouraged to ally to a particular flag with a clear agenda, it could work better than a traditional approach. To get the support of less politically minded pirates, maybe advertise that RAF - or whoever - would also organize another similar TH event if they win.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Nov 16, 2011 10:51:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

I posted this in Sage Parley:

Sage's previous opening round saw the ocean divide into two sharp camps - one working to ensure a large's opening and the other for an outpost. See - SNL . I predict that a similar debate will occur with this opening. While this opening is much smaller in scale/scope, it does require an initial pre-colonization blockade with similar potential outcomes. I would like to open this discussion here.

[TLDR below. Cliffnotes - Don't be silly, a large is completely unnecessary]

I firmly believe that Sage does not need a large. Proponents for a large will most likely argue the following points, as they always have done when the opportunity presents itself:

A new island will...
- Stir the ocean and promote blockading
- Result in massive poe distribution
- Free lesser islands from powerful flags' blockading desires (i.e. new island will present a new, higher objective)
- Present new economic opportunities (e.g shoppe distribution)

However, I disagree.

1) I agree, a new island could very much result in a protracted conflict, providing multiple weeks of blockades at the same island. However, other island openings (even larges) have been effectively resolved in one week (See - Bowditch history). There is no guarantee multiple parties are willing or capable to fight an extended conflict over the new island. Furthermore, if an extended conflict does occur, then small flags are effectively shut out from the blockading game for that weekend, as any colonization blockade will surely overshadow outpost blockades. Thus, a new opener may result in a net loss of blockades.

Colonization efforts are only possible through the concentration and expending of massive amounts of political capital. How does one acquire political capital? Through lobbying. One form of lobbying is staff/jobbing exchange guarantees. Thus, the new island owner has created a web of mutually owed support - a temporary SMA, if you will. This may (potentially) increase blockading, as owed flags look to capitalize on their new support base. However, this blockading is done in alliance vs alliance manner. The new island owner, especially, has a real incentive to create a stronger, entrenched support base in order to recoup funds spent on the new opening. This is not healthy for the ocean.

2) Blockading results in PoE redistribution. This blockade could potentially redistribute up to 100mil. However, the effects of this distribution are overstated. Very little of this PoE will be given from the jobber to a blockading flag. The blockading flags most likely to benefit from donations from massive pay are those most connected to the new island contesting parties, thus exacerbating the concentration issue I noted above. Finally, flags that drop 50-75mil on blockades are guaranteed to fund part (if not the majority) of their actions through poker. That "distributed" money will return in partial form.

Of course, there is the possibility that the island winner does not spend much PoE. In that case, the new island could serve to further concentrate PoE. A cheap (25 mil) seizing of the new island could easily result in massive profits within a month or two, depending on the winner's building plan. This only serves to further solidify the winner's position on the island.

3) Powerful flags will only temporarily have their end-game goals altered. There will be no lasting "freeing" of impossible targets by the opener. The colonizer will support his allies in their attempts to cash in on promised support. The losing flag(s) will go back to business as usual. Again, see Bowditch opening and related history.

4) Some shoppes may be distributed to the public (politically unconnected actors). The majority of shoppes in the short term, though, will remain with the colonizer and his supporting flags, only serving to further solidify thangs.

5) There is the real possibility that an opener contestant is only looking for superficial (inn, naming, etc) benefits from the attack. This would be quite detrimental to the community, as it creates lasting effects predicated on selfish motives.

In the end, we should not be supporting an action that results in entrenchment. Blockading is not everyone's cup of tea. For those of us that enjoy it, we should work towards creating an inclusive and competitive environment. This action is a step towards an exclusive and noncompetitive scene. To that end, I'll toss whatever support (material or nonmaterial) I can muster (personally, this is not a TP thing) towards a flag looking to block the opening.
[Nov 16, 2011 11:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

There seems to be some unity, at least among those who post about it, to work against an opening on Viridian. Unfortunately (well, depending on how you see it), alliances will be ignored for the event blockade so allying to work together won't work.

Anyway. I haven't talked to the others, but I'm pretty sure I could get Legacy to contest for no opening. (Or support another flag that does, if someone really wants to.)
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 16, 2011 11:26:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

I will support any flag that goes for the no opening, those who agree no island should be open should work together. I offer PoE and offer to JC or XO as well as my help finding navers, move stock ships or whatever is needed; if you are serious about oposing the island opening poke me.
Roseh

[Nov 16, 2011 11:42:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
warp11

I need to hit up some people, but I will discuss going for the no-opening with the RAF with the people it concerns and get back to you. I too am in the firm belief that another island is not needed on Viridian.
Dahl "I have higher moral standards" gren
[Nov 16, 2011 12:46:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
123park

hi

Cairna forbid to remain my post before editing :(
Technitium
[Edit 1 times, last edit by 123park at Nov 16, 2011 1:45:52 PM]
[Nov 16, 2011 1:43:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

i personally think there are enough islands so i support the no opening option, not sure my flag can enter the event but we ll try our best :)
Yasmi on Meridian
Yasmi/Ayani on all oceans
Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Nov 16, 2011 1:49:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
legolas_yeah

I will fully support anyone fighting for no island opening.
Another large opening up is just gonna further tear up the economy and political situation.
Legolars on all oceans + Losgar on malachite
[Nov 16, 2011 4:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Therealhunta

No frikin new island Please!

Anyone supporting any type of Island opening with the current state of the game would only be doing so for selfish reasons.

Let's see if all the recent concerns about "The best for the ocean" plays out now that there's the possibility for someone to grab an egotistical opportunity.
~~Hunta~~
RiddleMakers
Viridian Meridian Ocean
[Nov 16, 2011 4:51:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

would only be doing so for selfish reasons.

hi - would anyone please smack Fugu over Legolas.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 16, 2011 7:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
legolas_yeah

<3
Mala were good times, eh?
Legolars on all oceans + Losgar on malachite
[Nov 16, 2011 7:21:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Another island in Southwest Garnet would be nice to open up, but it would just be a island sit after a while.
Captainrich
[Nov 16, 2011 7:48:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobdonnell

Another island in Southwest Garnet would be nice to open up, but it would just be a island sit after a while.

It would be if the cade scene for larges was active, however it isnt so it'll just turn into another Hadrian, VG win it and try maintain the greenness of the island and the next flag comes in and paves it, resulting in another useless island.
Avatar by the Beautiful Velternal <3

Vsmeifudare says, "hi"
Nightwishtwo says, "drop dead"
[Nov 16, 2011 7:55:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

It would be if the cade scene for larges was active, however it isnt so it'll just turn into another Hadrian, VG win it and try maintain the greenness of the island and the next flag comes in and paves it, resulting in another useless island.

Well technically they did name it after shit so maybe the people got the idea the island was supposed to be shit.
Captainrich
[Nov 16, 2011 7:58:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

I'm strongly for no island as well, but only because of the choices given. Definitely no large should be opened, and especially not Mermaid's Purse, but if the winning flag could have picked a different medium I'd have gone for it.
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Nov 16, 2011 11:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=167716
MP probably is going to be paved, but who except the ocean police would really be concerned. Fight the current powerhouse once or twice to prevent them getting an inn, but behaving as if they would break the blockade game is rather stupid.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 17, 2011 2:32:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

<3
Mala were good times, eh?

The good part wasn't Lego's act of badassery, it was the fact that people cared so much and didn't do anything about it.
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Nov 17, 2011 3:37:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

We don't really need another island (larges don't change hands all that much), but if the no-island option doesn't get the vote, MP would be a good one to open, as SW Garnet is the last remaining area that's a pain to get to.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Nov 18, 2011 10:55:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sverdrup

There should be no new island opening unless the ocean's population is increasing. Since all oceans are in fact shrinking, I strongly support any faction that will prevent any new islands from opening.

If you want a dead ocean without conflict, competition, or blockades but lots of island sitting, stagnation, etc. ... look no further than Cobalt, it is as dead as a toe-nail.

Lets keep Viridian alive ... no new island opening. Keep Mermaid's Purse prestine and na3it.
Sverdrup, CPTN of Schroedinger's Cat, Heisenberg's Uncertainty, Meridian
[Nov 18, 2011 11:10:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ameranth

We don't really need another island (larges don't change hands all that much), but if the no-island option doesn't get the vote, MP would be a good one to open, as SW Garnet is the last remaining area that's a pain to get to.

I'm still strongly against MP being opened. The only reason it was suggested in the original thread was all the 12 year olds on the forums wanted an island where they could name every building after genitalia.

At the time I was saying that if another island was going to be opened, it should be Olin's. If we do open one, west Garnet is the best place, but it shouldn't be MP or Havoc.
- The ocean doesn't need another large, a medium is better.
- Olin's has enough room to provide stock production in west Garnet without becoming an opportunity for someone to pave.
- It opens two of the three closed routes in west Garnet.
- Most importantly, it's the only source of indigo on the ocean. Having a market there would finally allow players to place bids on that herb.
Ameranth of Viridian Meridian
Senior Officer of Nightmare, Prince of Legacy
[Nov 19, 2011 12:48:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 53   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates