• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4127 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
AraHurricane

Viridian Player Feedback

Just like it says, Feedback:

I'd like to open the floor to players new and old to discuss different problems they view with the game specifically on the Viridian Ocean. I invite Captains and Monarchs alike to share this thread with their newer players so that we get as much feedback and input as possible.

First off, this isn't a debate over why player numbers are low or what Three Rings could or should be doing to help fix the problem. Its player directed solutions to help retain newer and older players without having the Developers make massive changes like merging oceans.

That being said, I would like to know what you like or dont like about Viridian
i.e. there are lots of good Sea Monster Hunts, etc.
or
i.e. there aren't enough good pillages, no big pillages, hard to run a shoppe, you can't find a good crew you like, etc.

I would like to know what sorts of things you think that players could do to make a difference in making Viridian a better ocean to play on and what would make you want to invite your friends, family, or coworkers to play Puzzle Pirates with you.

At some point it does come down to us as players whether or not newer players want to continue to play the game. I hope we can all work together to make Viridian a better place one player at a time.

Thank you for all support and feedback. Feel free to contact me in game or via PM if you wish to discuss anything further.
----------------------------------------
Arakain the Hurricane
[Nov 13, 2011 1:48:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Re: Viridian Player Feedback

Might as well jump in here and have a go.

Personal likes are the current kading level (of the past few weeks) and that i know there's usually some kind of SMH up there whenever I feel like going on one, and that they usually fill bar competition from other SMHs.

From my experience in-game people are usually friendly to talk to, I've never felt like I've not been able to talk to somebody whenever I wanted to. Some people have bad days, but that's just normal.

I think one way players could improve the game slightly would be improving/creating a more effective greeter system, though that might need developers too. There also seems to be a large divide between players who just start the game and the elites, and it can be hard to go through it, though the whole elitism idea is based purely on opinion anyway.

There's a few things I could think of off the top of my head, welcome for debate.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Nov 13, 2011 2:07:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

<rant>

I find people who try and attempt to load WF Atlantis/HS trips during a blockade very annoying. Blockades over larges or in some cases mediums don't have any affect by this. Since those usually go 2K/seg+. But the smaller outpost blockades do. With that beeing said, if you see that an outpost blockade is ongoing, have some selfrespect and don't suck up all the jobbers for your own pockets.

Blockades > Atlantis/HS

The most common problem Viridian has, is the way jobbers think. If something takes to long to fill, they leave. If something isn't sinking, they leave. If something doesn't pay good enough, they leave. You can't fix a whole oceans way of thinking. So this one is kind of hopeless.

I also hate the river in poker.

Oh and Legacy are meanies!

</rant>
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Nov 13, 2011 2:31:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomite

Blockades > Atlantis/HS

That isn't always the case for every person though. My personal opinion is that blockading is sort of central to the game, everything flows around it, and it's possible to play and not be involved in it, but most people are affected by it. (Without making it sound like some sorta anti-war preach.) But some people do just prefer to pillage or SMH, buy stuff, then go pillage or SMH some more. I remember I spent about a year not even knowing what a kade was when i first started. Inb4 not knowing what a kade is now.
Disengaged.

Dexade tells ye, "i m not talking to you and dont want your cookies!"
[Nov 13, 2011 2:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

Blockades > Atlantis/HS

That isn't always the case for every person though. My personal opinion is that blockading is sort of central to the game, everything flows around it, and it's possible to play and not be involved in it, but most people are affected by it. (Without making it sound like some sorta anti-war preach.) But some people do just prefer to pillage or SMH, buy stuff, then go pillage or SMH some more. I remember I spent about a year not even knowing what a kade was when i first started. Inb4 not knowing what a kade is now.

I remember when I started playing during the VG, GOML and RM times. You would actually look forward to those blockades, even if it was to just puzzle. You'd have a chance of sinking and scoring an injury, you'd earn some easy cash or even fil your puzzle ego up contesting with others. But nowadays people would prefer to job for a WF Atlantis trip while a blockade is on going. When blockades only occur during the weekend, and you could job for an Atlantis/HS, any other day of the week since they are 24/7 on the notice board.

You're allowed to disagree, it's just something that bugs me. Each to his own opinion and preference.
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Nov 13, 2011 2:49:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

I agree, You really can't change the whole oceans way of thinking. However, you can find adaptive ways to change the reasons that the ocean thinks the way they do. Thus creating a positive change without trying to directly change the way they think but instead targeting the reasons that cause them to think the way they do. If that makes any sense.

All of that being said, I'd like to think the quickest solution to jobber problems is just playing the game. You have to start somewhere and the more time you spend sitting on an island the less time your spending creating a reputation with the limited number of jobbers who might job for you on any given day. The better your reputation the quicker you should be able to fill your boats and the less jobbers will be inclined to leave because they think the wait is going to take too long. At that point its up to you to prove to your jobbers that jobbing for you isn't a waste of their time and that you have the ability to perform on a sea battle board so that the pay is good enough to keep them coming back.

In the end, this may not solve the total problem but it should improve your own jobber difficulties.
Arakain the Hurricane
[Nov 13, 2011 2:55:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Just in general, I miss the bigger pillages. Even when I was green, you had crews like Rolling Thunder and Ocean Generals running non-exclusive larger ship (WF) pillages. Later on, if you were decent at anything, you could break into the occasional Dachimpy, Delmore or Calais (pretty rare) pillage (also on WFs). Those are just the most memorable that stuck in my mind, I'm sure there were plenty of others that had good fun. The only example since then that I can really cite is Luigi's occasional GF pillages on Sage that I'd grab an alt and hop on.

I feel that, while it does attract a lot of players to ships, SMH activities have doomed pillaging even further since there are now shipboard alternatives (for those who were still devoted to them) that are overall more profitable than simply pillaging (in general). I think some of the higher level pillages I mentioned above could rival some SMH activities in the long-run.

Edit: I just realized this could also go in the Things You Miss thread. :(
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Nov 13, 2011 3:55:48 PM]
[Nov 13, 2011 3:53:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonboyred

When I log onto Viridian, it's usually only to job on a cit run. That's the only profitable thing that I do well at, that I can enjoy. I honestly wish that wasn't the case.
Bunnyspawn, Malachite's most arrogant player.

Also Bunnyspawn on Sage and Hunter;Disgraced on Viridian.

I support PvP in sinking environments.
[Nov 13, 2011 4:02:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

kenjennings said, " I think some of the higher level pillages I mentioned above could rival some SMH activities in the long-run."

I didnt' say it first for once. :P
Arakain the Hurricane
[Nov 13, 2011 4:05:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hunni5

Just in general, I miss the bigger pillages.

I agree with this. I'm glad three rings added things like Smhs but there was nothing better to prove your merit by running big pillages and making them entertaining. Unfortunately I believe there isn't a whole lot of ways to restore these as Smhs exist.

Edit- Typo!
Fionae
Meridian!
Eating everyone's pie since 2005
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hunni5 at Nov 13, 2011 4:31:28 PM]
[Nov 13, 2011 4:24:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I can't believe im going to say this but here it goes.

Remember when we all used to flame the shit out of crews like Squid Squad, that had 300 crew but 95% were greenies they had dock pressed? I really think that if there were still crews around that welcomed the new players they would probably stick around longer. I think that alot of the more experienced players have had enough of dealing with dumb questions and teaching people and have opted for their own small selective crews, even solo crews. New players don't have the same opportunity that we all had when we started playing as there are hardly any big crews run by decent people anymore. I also think that the greeter system is a joke and doesnt help the new players as much as it could. I think that the ocean is lacking people willing to take greenies in and actually help them develop skills that make them want to continue playing. I think there needs to be some kind of greeter crew that goes out of their way to make nubs of the ocean welcome while showing them the basics skills they need before they go off on their own. I personally am not nasty to greenies but i know im deffinantly not as nice as i used to be when it comes to explaining the game to fresh faced pirates. This is just one idea to keep new players logging on.

SMH's During Cades? I think its hard to be able to stop this. Weekends are a good time to go on a SMH because most people have more time to hang around on them, so it would be unrealistic to put a stop to them during the cade window. I think it comes down to the captain's and Royals of crews/flags to fix this issue. I know back when Atlantis 1st came out we would just ban SMH runs during bloackades and all our members were just expected to job for our allies.

Blockades? Blockades need to be more affordable and people need to have more reason to try them. I don't like admitting it, but RC was the 1st flag i was a royal in. Besides having no experienced people to learn shit from, my memory of being in that flag was mostly of slaving my ass off to try and raise funds to blockcade. (I'm pretty sure they are still trying to raise cade funds 4 years later.) My point is, new flags have a really tough time getting into the blockade scene and it is becoming less appealing when everything you work your ass off for gets blown on your 1st attempt because of high pay. It has been said alot over the years that there needs to be some kind of ocean wide pay cap depending on island size and i still think this is something that should have been looked into more. Some kind of pay or jobber cap needs to apply for outposts so that new flags have a better idea on how much they need to save to get started. I dont know if its rediculous to suggest some way of having outpost blockades jobber capped but i think if there was a way to make it impossible for both sides to job over 200 people it would be a good start. Throw in a compulsary Pay cap and i think it would be alot easier for smaller/new flags to start their blockade careers.

There are way too many other problems with the game to go into them all but these are the 1st 3 that came to mind. :)
Betty - Obsidian

Crip tells ye, "bout to turn on my balls warmer.."
[Nov 13, 2011 4:35:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

I miss the game pre-atlantis and poker in general. The game attracting new players is built around pillaging and since the installation of the previous mentioned has been basically killed off from everything but sloops. This game flat out sucks ass when it comes to pillaging because the only option I ever seem to have open is sloop sloop and sloop. It really sucks that the only thing greenies can do when they start is sloop pillage and even those take a while to fill. I do not have a problem with Atlantis in general, I have a problem with it's extremely low difficulty. A guy who has never naved in his life can probably have how to wall hump explained to him and be successful on the second try. I really dislike softwall in all forms of SMH.

CI is almost sink proof unless your incompetent. I mainly say this because I think the extremely low level of difficulty in making poe in this game has turned the entire game to crap. You actually have to be a good bot naver(most of the time) to win a interarch pvp. You barely need to have an understanding of naving to successfully navigate a SMH. The game was so much funner when you actually had people who made their poe by leading successful pillages instead of spending 10 hours a day on a table or spending 18 hours a day in Atlantis molesting a wall. The game was a lot better when it was actually hard to advance and being promoted in a crew that actually had standards meant something. I always loved doing officer training and helping to teach people bnav but now it is everyone just leaves to go to a crew who will make the SO upon joining.

I know a lot of that has to do with the fact there is a limited amount of greenies but that actually goes back to the rant I had in the first place. This is probably just a rant from a out of date big ship pillager, but this game is just a tiny light of what it used to be. All of the new content that they put in which was supposed to give you more to do just limited what everyone can do overall.

Edit: Just to say what I think should be done about the crap installations they put in. No poker over 20k, and SMH should have no softwalls and should not be able to use maps more than once. OOO learned the mistake of the supposedly "difficult content" and fixed the problem of farming in another one of their games by making the key(or what we would call a map) only up for use one time. It works pretty well.

End Rant.
Captainrich
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hillsmen at Nov 13, 2011 4:59:06 PM]
[Nov 13, 2011 4:54:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AraHurricane

It seems to me that a common consensus among a lot of the players taking the time to post here that big ship pillages are something we would all like to see as a part of the game again. I don't doubt that there are many more who are reading, have yet to read, or don't know about this thread who would agree with the idea that large ship pillages were something that was extremely fun for all and I would like to try to find the time a couple days out of the week to try and organize bigger pillages. If your interested in being a part in any way please don't hesitate to contact me and we'll see what we can work out.

Edit: For the big ship pillages I figure we would start on War Brigs and depending on how many players are actually interested possibly fill War Frigs.

Next, I fully agree that there really aren't any big crews willing to accept and train the fresh green faces like there used to be and this is actually my biggest point of concern with getting new players to continue to play the game. That said, I would love to strongly encourage anyone who is eligible to be a greeter to take the time and talk with the newer players. It is valuable to the overall community that we try to reach out to these players as much as we can and welcome them. I also want to encourage anyone who is the captain of a crew to open your crew to newer players and teach them what they need to know and give them the opportunity's that you might have received when you were a newer player.

Thank you everyone for your support thus far and I look forward to hearing more feedback. :)
Arakain the Hurricane
[Edit 1 times, last edit by AraHurricane at Nov 13, 2011 6:28:20 PM]
[Nov 13, 2011 6:25:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

In my case, i absolutely enjoy execute huge pillage's however I am truly insecure, additionally i have not do in my pirate life too often pillage's on large vessels, thus when i do one, some other bnavers commence sayings like " You suck", "i give you 100k if im best bnaver then you"; it produces me recognize that, yes I am possibly actually bad, additionally that make me wonder if people in my vessel is physically enjoying, and i lastly abandon of do too common large pillage's...

If we desire to help inspiring the "pillage scene" I consider the better is try to help whitout back sitting or bottering the bnaver even if she/he don't do the elite bnav ever, I positively think that if we as person's preserve help unrelated's without blame them all the time, will make the pillage scene moves up absolutely fast.
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Nov 13, 2011 10:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emptyheart17

@ Narci ... Screw those losers. There are always going to be backseat navers. Personally if it gets too bad I would ask them to stop being rude in a polite way which I saw you do today by the way, and if they don't stop I plank them and never rejob them again. I enjoyed being on your Frig pilly today it was awesome. 9 times out of 10 the people asking to bnav your ship have no ship of their own and just want to convince you to hand over the wheel lol. @ The whole "we need a better greeter system" idea... Bravo because we do. And also a lot of people in greeter chat shouldn't even be allowed to access it.. and a lot are just rude.
Mooki everywhere~
[Nov 13, 2011 11:23:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

Hmmm, if Narci sucks so bad at naving, why can she still fill a ship? <.<

For some people it is Atlantis > CI > HS > Chatting... So why "force" them to log off just because there is a "sucky blockade" going on?
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 14, 2011 12:06:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I can't believe im going to say this but here it goes.

Remember when we all used to flame the shit out of crews like Squid Squad, that had 300 crew but 95% were greenies they had dock pressed? I really think that if there were still crews around that welcomed the new players they would probably stick around longer. I think that alot of the more experienced players have had enough of dealing with dumb questions and teaching people and have opted for their own small selective crews, even solo crews. New players don't have the same opportunity that we all had when we started playing as there are hardly any big crews run by decent people anymore. I also think that the greeter system is a joke and doesnt help the new players as much as it could. I think that the ocean is lacking people willing to take greenies in and actually help them develop skills that make them want to continue playing. I think there needs to be some kind of greeter crew that goes out of their way to make nubs of the ocean welcome while showing them the basics skills they need before they go off on their own. I personally am not nasty to greenies but i know im deffinantly not as nice as i used to be when it comes to explaining the game to fresh faced pirates. This is just one idea to keep new players logging on.

SMH's During Cades? I think its hard to be able to stop this. Weekends are a good time to go on a SMH because most people have more time to hang around on them, so it would be unrealistic to put a stop to them during the cade window. I think it comes down to the captain's and Royals of crews/flags to fix this issue. I know back when Atlantis 1st came out we would just ban SMH runs during bloackades and all our members were just expected to job for our allies.

Blockades? Blockades need to be more affordable and people need to have more reason to try them. I don't like admitting it, but RC was the 1st flag i was a royal in. Besides having no experienced people to learn shit from, my memory of being in that flag was mostly of slaving my ass off to try and raise funds to blockcade. (I'm pretty sure they are still trying to raise cade funds 4 years later.) My point is, new flags have a really tough time getting into the blockade scene and it is becoming less appealing when everything you work your ass off for gets blown on your 1st attempt because of high pay. It has been said alot over the years that there needs to be some kind of ocean wide pay cap depending on island size and i still think this is something that should have been looked into more. Some kind of pay or jobber cap needs to apply for outposts so that new flags have a better idea on how much they need to save to get started. I dont know if its rediculous to suggest some way of having outpost blockades jobber capped but i think if there was a way to make it impossible for both sides to job over 200 people it would be a good start. Throw in a compulsary Pay cap and i think it would be alot easier for smaller/new flags to start their blockade careers.

There are way too many other problems with the game to go into them all but these are the 1st 3 that came to mind.
:)

just fix the server ffs.
Betty - Obsidian

[Nov 14, 2011 4:41:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

For some people it is Atlantis > CI > HS > Chatting... So why "force" them to log off just because there is a "sucky blockade" going on?

What do you see as a "sucky blockade"? Is it one where both sides are stuggling getting more then a 100 jobbers, or one where the pay doesn't exceed 1K/Seg?

I personally know how hard it is to get into blockading, and how hard it is to raise funds. When you do get into a blockade and are struggling to keep up with the other flags jobbers, you tend to have to pay raise. In result you spend a lot more then you would of liked to, even though your pay raise will attract more jobbers. But this shouldn't be the case.

A blockade should be something special for the new players. But it's seems Atlantis is replacing that, which in itself is just sad. Atlantis should be an every day thing, nothing special. Wallhump, sink stuff, TH stuff, port and make 10-20K for 4-8 hours of work. Overrated.

As for new players who don't get properly trained. True. Back in the day, you would only get promoted for beeing loyal and you would have to do an officer training. To see if you knew how to set up a voyage correctly and how to stock your ship. That's all long forgotten. Crews back then would have 300-400+ members, and would run daily voyages. It was noob paradise.

Now we see Narrow/Proficient guys spamming in Lima inn that they are handing out FO or even SO spots. I would always check the captains stats and those of his SO's, see if they have familiars if they were good at Bnav before I'd even join their crew. But ohwell.
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Nov 14, 2011 6:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Hmmm, if Narci sucks so bad at naving, why can she still fill a ship? <.<

To be honest here the whole good navers can fill ships and shitty navers can't fill ships is a complete myth. Not saying Narci sucks.
Captainrich
[Nov 14, 2011 12:08:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darknesse7

My honest point of view - I don't do PVP swordfighting/rumbling, and therefore don't get the chance of joining a lot of pillages.

I know how to team, I know when to attack and when to stall. I just don't fight people. When I asked someone why they would not job me, they replied 'Because of your SF/rumble stats'. I replied 'That's because I don't PVP in SF or rumble', and all I got back was 'Well maybe you should'...
[Nov 14, 2011 1:14:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pzaragosa

I like all these ideas in general. The greeter system, greenie training, new blockade rules, etc... I started PP during what I like to call the "golden age" no SMH badges, Squid Squad had 300+ crew members, I had joined a crew and worked very hard to get that officer rank and I had to gain the trust of my captain in a crew of about 20, and of which I had been assigned a crew owned sloop for pillages. Working hard to buy that 20k sloop, and learning about these sinking events called blockades. Finally the thing that got me the most was the real economy(but that's just my thing.

I'm not going to restate what I want changed for this game said by others in this thread but I am going to expand on blockades. I think we should have rules about outpost islands and maybe even some medium islands. For small islands the biggest ships that could be used should be a dhow( just an example). This would decrease the number of jobbers needed because 7-8 dhow with 10 jobbers, we are looking at 80 jobbers. We also have more Bnavers being able to get their hands on blockading, if its sinking a much smaller loss, and once again lower payouts even in a pay war( and if there is a pay war imagine everyone trying to job on these ships, enough jobbers for 10 dhows or more per team.

By doing this you make it more affordable for flags. If its non-sinking it would cost only jobber pay, and stock. Also this would be incredibly fun to see 20 ships on a blockade board, and allow more bnaver exposure.

To do this we would only need an agreements between all outpost owners that during the next blockade they would talk with the opposing team about the ship type limitation, and the winners in turn would do the same next time.

End Rant
Pzaragoza of some crew and some flag
[Nov 14, 2011 1:48:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Pre poker was definitely the best. Poker created deep, structural shortcomings in the game. There was always wealth disparity before poker, but it was not to the extreme and not central to the (blockading) game as it is now.

That said, a lot of you guys are being awfully nostalgic, to the point of revisionism. Even on 2005 Viridian, finding a highly experienced, mentored advancement based crew was the exception, not the rule. There was just as much mediocrity then as there is now. Perhaps it was not considered as socially acceptable as it is now, but it was very present, nonetheless.
[Nov 14, 2011 5:26:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

I think revision would probably be what would actually make the game good again. The only problem is people are so set on making easy money they would rage about having to puzzle instead of poker. Come on though let's be honest OOO is not going to do anything about it.

As I was saying earlier to someone, they basically use this game as a lesson at what not to do in other games. If you look at their other game Spiral Knights for instance almost all of the cool things they put into that game they learned from what messed this one up and did the exact opposite, and I can say it worked out better.
Captainrich
[Nov 14, 2011 8:29:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

I agree with you; however, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Revisionism, as in rewriting history. A lot of the posts in the thread call for a return to the good ole days. Was simply stating that a lot of issues players see with today's game have been present and prominent for all of Viridian's history.
[Nov 14, 2011 8:49:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Yeah I do agree that the crews of today have always existed but I just seem to remember a lot less of them in 2005. I would not call the crews I was in that year at all incredibly experienced except for maybe one or two people, but I believe I was in three crews and each one had a form of officer training and guidelines to be met before advancing in the ranks of the crew.

And yeah it seems I was a bit off on your meaning.
Captainrich
[Nov 14, 2011 8:55:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Pzaragoza wrote: 
Something about limiting outpost blockades to dhows

I don't think that would be so brilliant. Say that you run a blockade with only sloops and dhows, but you're outjobbed, so you raise pay... The other side matches, it goes on, pay goes up, jobber numbers go up... That happens, in most blockades, to some extent. But you still stick to your dhows. At 150 jobbers, you send in 15 dhows/side, instead of a more reasonable 2 WFs + 2 WBs + a dhow + a sloop or whatever the board needs. Not only does it make BAing complicated and the whole nav situation strange, it also requires a huge fleet of dhows. A flag, that wants to start with outpost blockades, would have to invest in hundreds of dhows - a fleet that would then be almost completely useless when/if they move up to bigger blockades, and have to invest again, in brigs and frigs.

Also, even though I agree that it's a good thing to use smaller ship for a better naver:jobber ratio, most outpost blockading flags, that you think would benefit from such a rule, would probably not even be able to find 10-15 people who want to nav, have a working headset for ventrilo and can be there on blockade day.

Sloop/dhow blockades are amazing fun, but they should be an exception, something to do now and then for flags that have the resources to get such a fleet on top of their normal blockade fleet etc, not a rule.

tl;dr: Obvious aguments against an obvious bad idea.

I also actually have to agree with Chip (shocking, I know) about the talk of the old, golden days. We tend to remember the good things, not the boring, the mediocre, the "meh, why did I log on today?". (And also, most of us were probably less bored with the game in general back then and more of young, enthusiastic players.) I'm absolutely no glorious oldtimer, I just recently got my 5 year trophy and most of that time, I was happy just sailing, or pillaging around on my sloops, so I might be wrong. But I still often have to object to statements such as "I miss the days when all blockades were huge, like Terra blockades...", at a time where blockade costs keep increasing and 2K/seg for an outpost is nothing strange any more, whereas 1K/round was considered a lot a few years ago. We just simply tend to remember the huge blockades, and forget the smaller ones, the boring flagsits, the meh-blockades. And after a year or two, when we look back, we think that those huge blockades, that we remember so well, happened every week back in the good old days.

Maybe that makes sense. Maybe not. Either way, enough forum spamming, back to studying for me.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 14, 2011 10:20:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I think if OOO's had better customer service instead of a heep of idiots running the place it would encourage people to continue playing the game. The only good support left are usually too tied up with more important issues and so it is left to a bunch of morons to help players fix issues. Maybe if they sort their staff out or at least put an end to the double standard support responses, established players might want to play the game more. Without all the "oldies" there is no one left to teach the new players how to get ahead, so maybe keeping the games customers happy would be a good place to start.
Betty - Obsidian

[Nov 14, 2011 11:03:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pzaragosa

I don't think that would be so brilliant. Say that you run a blockade with only sloops and dhows, but you're outjobbed, so you raise pay... The other side matches, it goes on, pay goes up, jobber numbers go up... That happens, in most blockades, to some extent. But you still stick to your dhows. At 150 jobbers, you send in 15 dhows/side, instead of a more reasonable 2 WFs + 2 WBs + a dhow + a sloop or whatever the board needs. Not only does it make BAing complicated and the whole nav situation strange, it also requires a huge fleet of dhows. A flag, that wants to start with outpost blockades, would have to invest in hundreds of dhows - a fleet that would then be almost completely useless when/if they move up to bigger blockades, and have to invest again, in brigs and frigs.

Your right out jobbing and pay wars will always be the issues for new flags(which stem from getting enough poe to blockade). First of all I should have been a little clearer, outpost blockades should be cheaper no matter what because outposts are not necessarily profitable(never owned an outpost so correct me if I'm wrong). That is why I think ship limitation would help.

The first step towards blockading is to acquire a fleet. Now getting wfs and wbs are much more expensive then dhows. Plus in a smaller flag it is easier for crews to donate small ships for a blockade because pillagers tend to have these ships. Also when you want to move up to a bigger island you can always sell your fleet of dhows to the next flag or other pirates. Ships as long as they don't sink are never a loss poe-wise.

Now you make a great statement that there will still be pay-wars and outjobbing with small ship blockades, and that 10 ships are harder to coordinate then 4-5. If a flag doesn't want to get on vent for a blockade with 10 ships I doubt they would even with 5, so that's not a problem. With a great number of small ships, out jobbing would force the team to put more ships on the board and therefore have to put alot more effort into coordination, with wfs and wbs you would just had one wf for a 55 jobber lead( compared to adding 5 dhows). In other words I think smaller ships would limit the amount of jobbers needed on the blockade board. If it doesn't then pay wars would remain the central problem, and it would be the same argument that pay wars are dirty tactic or legitimate and the two flags would need to agree upon something before the blockade.

In short I would like to see big flags avoid outposts and leave them to the new flags to give them something to fight for, and keep playing. But that's just my opinion...
Pzaragoza of some crew and some flag
[Nov 15, 2011 4:14:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

Compared to Sage's and Hunter's greeters, Viridian greeters aren't that bad. Usually, the incredibly incompetent greeters eventually get their greetership away assuming that instead of arguing with said incompetent greeter, people just /complain'd them.

To be fair, at some point, blockades were going to get this expensive since OOO hasn't implemented enough PoE sinks into the game, there's only so much people will throw at black boxes and portraits. Poker just sped up the process of blockades getting expensive.

We could sit here all day discussing solutions to bring down the cost of blockades, but what some of you seem to not realise is that blockades aren't everyone's cup of tea (inb4Britjoke) and compared to the number of people who play the game, only a small portion get to truly enjoy blockades. To most people, it's just another place to puzzle and earn PoE. That said, having OOO implement paycaps and whatnot is all well, but most of the issues with blockades are socially related.

Everyone has their own view of what will 'fix' blockades, but very few actually agree and even less will want to put it into practice. But my suggestion is that before you start trying to come up with ways to lower the cost of blockades, you have to think about whether it reduces the ability for flags to take advantage of their blockading skill. Some of the suggested solutions I see would reduce the cost of blockades, but at the cost of not taking advantage of people's skills or allowing them to improve. Whilst it's nice encouraging new flags to blockade outposts and keeping things nice for them, there's only so much that will help them in the long run.

Shady mentioned this, but there's only a few older players left and even fewer who would probably take the time out to teach newer players. Since August, I've only just randomly turned up at a few blockades just to chill on Vent and see how flags run things. In some cases, it was pretty obvious that certain individuals learnt how to do their role from what they randomly tried and worked for them at the time. Put them in a situation where they're out of their comfort zone or that was not the same as before and they choked. The thing is with some of these players that because it worked for them a few times, it clearly must be the correct way of doing things and so they don't seek out any advice on how to improve. Should things go wrong, they blame something else. I think that kinda links in what I would like to see change, player mentality. Although, I think the long time issue of low blockade staff turnover somewhat contributed to this. It's nice to see old faces, but they're not going to stick around forever and we need to be prepared for when they decide to leave.

There are two things I would like to see changed, player mentality and me sitting in my house. IMO, far too many players lack the paitence to receive any gain/benefit. It's all about earning things quickly. Sometimes taking the time to slowly work your way up into whatever interests you, whether that be blockades, shoppe running etc, can help and you earn much more in the long run. The second thing I would like to see change is to do with getting me on a boat. I actually like to puzzle, but right now, there is nothing that will make me want to get on a boat (besides for a blockade I guess). On Hunter, I used to always go on CIs (until they all went to go play LoL ):<) and we would do multiple runs which included thralling. That's a good few hours of puzzling and honestly, the main reason why I went on them was because it was fun socially interacting with people whilst puzzling. Nowadays, if I were to go on a SMH or pillage, it's all "PUZZLE NOW OR WE SINK/LOSE"

Edit: Why do I always end up writing novels? ):<!
Anchovia
[Edit 1 times, last edit by anchovygirl at Nov 15, 2011 8:10:01 AM]
[Nov 15, 2011 8:08:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iong

What I don't like:

-People abusing the greeter chat.
Maybe there needs to be a test, like the monthly seal, so you can continue to be a greeter. I know people can still cheat, but let's say it should "refresh" their memory, (if they had indeed read the YPPedia page on Greeter... )
I guess this should go onto Game Design, but I haven't thought it through :P

-Lack of manners/sportsmanship/patience in general.
Things like a "thank you" after foraging, a "good game" after a match, or waiting for a reply tell before sending a job offer? /me shakes head.
What about this, how many of you have removed/have been removed from hearties because you're in opposing flag? Even if you/they have Nothing to do with causing the war?
Patience, that sums up everything. As replies mentioned above, jobbers don't have patience to wait in port or after a lost battle; cp pirates and officers don't have the patience to learn the game and raise their stats/experience; higher ranked officers don't have the patience to teach and nurture <- this is the one causing the problems.
And btw, not saying everyone's like this. Just a few spoiling everyone's fun.

Now, what I like:

-The sense of community
e.g. a crew, or people with similar interest (werewolf hunting)

-The healthy competition
From DRs, can sometimes motivate looking up tutorials, at least for me :P Or encouragements from shipmates/OIC

The things I like seems sooo empty! What about everything else =D
Captain and Surgeon of Eye of Harmony
Founding member of Blink and The White Void
Show-me-the-stars avvie by XEcastasy!!

Adrielle tells ye, "they are coming - the chickens are coming"

[Nov 15, 2011 8:36:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates