• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2410 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
Perenoel1

Bk Blockade Strength Reply to this Post

BK Blockades seem to just keep getting weaker and weaker. Regardless of which island it seems like they are all 1-3 strength. Can we get this increased and scaled to island size like they used to be?
----------------------------------------
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Nov 11, 2011 12:27:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Re: Bk Blockade Strength Reply to this Post

I haven't gotten around to starting a thread like this of my own, but I strongly agree.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 11, 2011 12:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Prehaps you could conduct some experiments on this.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Nov 11, 2011 1:16:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

His observations were as much of an experiment as can be carried out I think

Btw, I'm not sure if you mean to or not but "Perfectionist" in your sig is spelled wrong.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Nov 11, 2011 1:45:22 PM]
[Nov 11, 2011 1:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

There's something booched with the formula ... Celesta on Malachite (not even a main island) is being given a strength 5, which is too much really for us, and the big oceans are getting pathetic ones. Please look into it.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Nov 11, 2011 2:39:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

I have complained about this several times. For awhile on Cobalt, mediums were getting 11 force BKs, and a small outpost got a 10. Unbelievable. And at the same time large islands on the bigger more populated oceans were getting force 3, and mediums got force 1. Almost enough to wonder if they got it backwards, or if there are trying to have the BKs take over all the islands on the less populated oceans (if you like conspiracy theories.)

Be careful of what you wish for, a force 17 showed up on Cobalt a few months back...

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes
[Nov 11, 2011 2:50:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

Midnight has two BK blockades coming up, both on the board right now and both at strength 3. One is Orca, an outpost where the governor pretty much ignores the IM shop and leaves it empty - and it's off in Opal, the least visited back corner arch on the ocean. So the island is almost as dead as possible. The other island is Xi, probably the busiest of the large islands in the Jet archipelago (certainly not the busiest arch, but far from dead). It doesn't make any sense at all for both these islands to fight strength 3; something like 1 for Orca and 5 for Xi would make a whole lot more sense.

I'm wondering if there's a minimum strength a BK can drop at, and the ocean activity level is so low that the minimum is propping up the attack strength. Then again, I've seen strength one BK blockades on Midnight before so unless the minimum is set per ocean and was recently raised for Midnight (which would make zero sense to do the way the population is in a steady decline), that strength one attack stands as a counterexample to that possibility.

But looking at the numbers that have been reported for the various oceans, there's got to be some kind of bug somewhere in the strength determining code. Especially the fact that Cobalt seems to consistently get BK strengths that are twice what Viridian sees -- that's just pathologically wrong.
[Nov 11, 2011 3:09:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Demonboyred

Haw Haw :D
Bunnyspawn, Malachite's most arrogant player.

Also Bunnyspawn on Sage and Hunter;Disgraced on Viridian.

I support PvP in sinking environments.
[Nov 11, 2011 4:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

I thought BK strength also has something to do with how much the flotilla was whacked before it turned into a blockade? Or was I mistaken?
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[Nov 14, 2011 8:44:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

What we all read as that, really meant you could just make it vanish entirely before it dropped.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Nov 14, 2011 9:42:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Brigand King blockade power is supposed to be calculated by the amount of economic activity on the target island. The elements of that formula have not been divulged.

Ocean Masters, or perhaps developers only, are able to adjust blockade power settings before and during a blockade. It has been standard practice to increase it for those flags who wanted more of a challenge and requested it. Likewise, it may be possible to lower it with a reasonable request.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Nov 14, 2011 10:16:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Ezder

Brigand King blockade power is supposed to be calculated by the amount of economic activity on the target island. The elements of that formula have not been divulged.

Ocean Masters, or perhaps developers only, are able to adjust blockade power settings before and during a blockade. It has been standard practice to increase it for those flags who wanted more of a challenge and requested it. Likewise, it may be possible to lower it with a reasonable request.

I don't think the problem primarily is that flags don't feel challenged enough, but rather the possible use of weak BK blockades for weeks on end to shield against PvP blockades. Unless there is substantial thirtpartying, such shielding is now very very cheap. The flags, that use scuttle shields like that, will definitely not ask for an increase in BK strength.
Avienda
Nightmare/Legacy

Naggy avatar

Qvintvs flag royalty chats, "I won't play for that much longer and when I quit, my pirate's dead body will be sent out at sea on a burning ship and let's face it, you will be on that ship as well.
[Nov 14, 2011 10:31:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cheeseman454

As they seem to be weak on viridian, around the same time proof scuttle his two outpost and got one strength, on cobalt we accidently scuttle an outpost and got a 9 strength so I don't think all is well with the strength decision making.
Rocafella on cobalt
Haterade on Meridian
[Nov 24, 2011 11:59:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

1 Strength BK for a Large Island Opening, makes sense.
Seepnah
[Nov 30, 2011 12:33:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
awright

The YPPedia states:

the economy of an island appears to have more effect on the strength of the BK attack.

The 1 strength Brigand King blockade would support this as there is no economic activity on an island that is just being opened.
-barcium

Original Huntard
[Nov 30, 2011 3:41:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

That doesn't explain why Cobalt's is 5.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Nov 30, 2011 3:59:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Edit: Sniped!

The 1 strength Brigand King blockade would support this as there is no economic activity on an island that is just being opened.

Yes, but Jubilee on Cobalt has a strength 5, so I dunno how much that really has to do with anything...
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stephensam at Nov 30, 2011 4:00:49 PM]
[Nov 30, 2011 4:00:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
awright

The formula could work based on percentage of the ocean's commodities that are moved through that island each week. If that is the case then that would explain why oceans with less players can see such large Brigand King strength while oceans like viridian see such small strength.

Edit: To clarify what I mean, there are many players on Viridian each week and several well established islands. Because there are many places for commodities to be used up all of the islands would consume a lesser percentage of the islands commodities and result in a weaker Brigand King drop.

Cobalt on the other hand has less players (last time I was on there were only 60 players online) If a particularly wealthy player had moved a large amount of stock and sold it on jubilee, then that would be a much larger percentage of the economy than on viridian where there are more players and more popular islands. If the same action were taken on viridian and then cobalt, it would have almost no effect of the Brigand King strength on viridian but a huge effect on Cobalt.
-barcium

Original Huntard
[Edit 1 times, last edit by awright at Nov 30, 2011 5:20:47 PM]
[Nov 30, 2011 5:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

The formula could work based on percentage of the ocean's commodities that are moved through that island each week. If that is the case then that would explain why oceans with less players can see such large Brigand King strength while oceans like viridian see such small strength.

Edit: To clarify what I mean, there are many players on Viridian each week and several well established islands. Because there are many places for commodities to be used up all of the islands would consume a lesser percentage of the islands commodities and result in a weaker Brigand King drop.

Cobalt on the other hand has less players (last time I was on there were only 60 players online) If a particularly wealthy player had moved a large amount of stock and sold it on jubilee, then that would be a much larger percentage of the economy than on viridian where there are more players and more popular islands. If the same action were taken on viridian and then cobalt, it would have almost no effect of the Brigand King strength on viridian but a huge effect on Cobalt.

Jubilee is the island that is being opened in the cade this weekend, which is why he mentioned their opening cade was a 5 stength.
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Nov 30, 2011 6:28:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

If this isn't fixed it can be used to players advantage.

1) Make lots of economic activity on target island.
2) Make lots of threatening tells towards fun spoiling scuttle prone govenor.
3) Watch them scuttle.
4) LOLOLOL 16 strength BK LOLOLOL.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Dec 1, 2011 12:02:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

Yeah island opening can't be related to the economic activity of the island due to the fact it won't have any!

I'm sure the last island opening on viridian (Hadrian) had at least 10 strength?
Seepnah
[Dec 1, 2011 3:18:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

This is still a big issue. Either the strength of BKs needs to be fixed, or 3rd party flags need to be allowed to drop on Bk blockades, or both.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jan 20, 2012 7:20:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

i think a BK should take a series of more important non-ringer or even some ringer islands and then defend it badly get islands shifting hands a bit more
Or as someone said let flags help out the BK's and then have a flotilla or something to win it
Captain and Sailmaster of Ice
check out these idea's
events hall
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=172002
player owned outposts
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2397343#239734
1v
[Jan 24, 2012 8:50:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates