• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2798 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
laladibla

Wiping the slate clean....

As much as I hate to admit it, I think, I've closed my eyes for too long and said it'll be alright. I've been happy enough to support any movements to try and retain players on Malachite, but no matter how red in the face we go, nothing is happening.

The OMs have actually tried to help us, however they haven't really done much at all.

I read something about someone wanting the OMs to alter the dub price. That is player driven and is affected by the RL financial climate as well, so that won't be happening.

I think the only real move left, would be to close Malachite, with stuff moved over to an ocean of choice (possibly stats as well if people were picky).

Certain deplorable actions, which although they haven't had much effect in retrospect, have still lead me to realise just how small, and how futile all these arguments are. It seems that everybody is trying to deliberatley find excuses to belittle eachother.

I was having a conversation today with someone who clearly has the same opinions as mine, and how frustrated they were at this situation, and I wanted to put this point across, the age old phrase:

"It's Just a Game" - It IS Just a game, and I'm surprised that so many of Malachite's pirates and even my friends have lost sight of that fact.

I also had a conversation with Mombeard, who rocks. We were talking for a little bit and then she said this:

"Having opponents in a pirate game makes it more interesting and fun. But opponents and enemies are not the same thing"

This is true.

What is also true, is that no matter how hard anybody tries to sort out any of these problems, they always end up getting dragged into it, one way or another.

Sooner or later, I'm sure someone's going to protest at what I'm saying and i'm sure that there'll no doubt be some form of political rivalry happening at some point in this thread. Oh yes! I forgot the trolls, that marvellous group of people who take nothing less than great pride in being "anonymous" and all that crap.....

I think I've rambled on for a fair bit, so here's the point.

Malachite, we need to buck our ideas up if we're even going to consider thinking about thinking about saving our ocean which is already beyond saving.

First, we need to realise that going off on pointless tirades about eachother and then responding in kind is neither helpful, nor entertaining, for those who actually want to do something for the ocean.

Our mindset towards our ocean and eachother is literally tearing it apart. Look how small it is, and how few players we have left, and even fewer of those actually care about what is going on properly.

People say they "care" and they make a big show about it, but what really needs to happen is for Malachite to wipe the slate clean, "reset" and forget all arguments that have happened in the past and move on, you need to remember that this is a game, not a period drama or some cheap overrated TV Soap Opera, and I can assure you that this doesn't make it any less sickening to see it here.

I don't think the way we are approaching the simplest of piratey things, such as cading in the way that it should be done. There is far too much intimidation, and less sportsmanship.

I've definetly covered all these issues before, but I guess the people who read them are either laughing their balls off or assuming this is some indirect remark against each and every one of them.

Please understand this, we are in a cooperate or close situation.
----------------------------------------
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[Nov 9, 2011 2:12:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Re: Wiping the slate clean....

I approve of this post.

Also:

Oh yes! I forgot the trolls, that marvellous group of people who take nothing less than great pride in being "anonymous" and all that crap.....

*cough*Decency*cough*
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Nov 9, 2011 2:37:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Agree. Also, everyone, remember that it's a game, and people are playing the game for fun. If people aren't having fun, something needs to change. Maybe it's you.

There may be some people who enjoy hating the opposing side in politics, but not many. I don't. If the island holding flags decided to look past their small differences in a few opinions and decide to every once in a while just have a fun, non-sinking, low pay blockade, I'd definitely be active. If the sides of a blockade aren't determined by who thinks who is evil, and who tries to convince who that the other side is evil, I'll stay and play. Once blockades become a fun activity between friends, I'll participate in them. Until then, I'm out.

If blockades or politics cause people to hate the opposing side or get angry with each other, I'll have to continue my inactive lurking, or quit altogether. Islands don't make money here. There's no reason to cling to your islands. The person who drops a chest on you doesn't do it because they hate you, and you don't have to hate someone to blockade with them.

I'd love to see actually 'friendly' blockades on this ocean, that aren't stressful. Nonsinking, extremely low paycap, and just two flags having some fun and maybe letting some people play a part of the game they don't usually get to, and allowing yourself to have fun whether you're winning or losing.

If you want to have drama, go back to high school or watch a soap opera or something. If you don't want to have drama, don't cause drama.

Honestly. Ask anyone. I'll guarantee it that they would prefer if they ocean wasn't divided, if people blockaded for fun, if nobody thought of the other side as evil. Make a change. Be nice to people, respect them even if you disagree with them. Have some fun.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Nov 9, 2011 3:00:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

You see, there are certain characters on this ocean that never realized this, but they kept telling everyone else what to do/being drowned in pride to not realize that what they really needed to have is a doze of Michael Jackson .
Sincerely
[Nov 9, 2011 3:10:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laladibla

You see, there are certain characters on this ocean that never realized this, but they kept telling everyone else what to do/being drowned in pride to not realize that what they really needed to have is a doze of Michael Jackson .

Because I'm generally a polite person, and you have been a friend of mine for a fair while Boyk, in response to your example....as befitting as I'm sure you think it is, it is only going to be the kind of comment that adds fuel to the fire, which I'm trying to put out.
Visionary/Visionarye - Coming soon to an ocean near you!

Mitchiie wrote:

"Yes. Snowwman is weird and Boyk is weird. They're definitely siblings. I just have to figure out who the sister is."

[Nov 9, 2011 3:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

The race is over. Also, it only adds fuel to the fire if people feel like it applies to them, and in that case they are just too narcissistic of themselves to realize the fact.
Sincerely
[Nov 9, 2011 3:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jedra

My name is Kaine, and I approve of this post.

Except for the length.
Kaine, the Dreamer

Former King of Sick Man's Dream
Former Royal of Fill in the Blank
Former Royal of Utopia

Former Captain (any every rank below) of Wicked

Current drunken bum who occasionally posts when he's bored.
[Nov 9, 2011 4:34:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

I don't exactly understand what this is advocating. The offer for fair blockades has always been there, and no one takes it. I'm really not sure what else is wanted; you can't expect to win just because there is a blockade, yet I have had a feeling that this is the expectation that is demanded when a small flag blockades anything from the establishment.

Also, this talk of ego-bolstering is rubbish. I certainly would not stop sharing my opinion when others are free to take incorrect jabs and toss out insults. Simply because you do not like it does not mean you have the right to control their freedom to post. Rather than cry afoul when someone brings up an issue, cry over the issue and do something about it. These posts where you try and look uppity and above the fray are ridiculous (This is my jab at Boyk, as apparently he took the chance to do this again in this thread) and just shows incompetence.

Sure, I think a lot of people post in a less-than-respectable style, but I certainly don't expect them to not do so, regardless of the fact that they are incorrect.

Civility is good, yes, but not at the expense of opinion. If this is a proposal to go to a flower circle where nothing gets done (still), I'd rather continue battling my way through Luffsalot's Archipelago. (Read As- Hell)
Emmett
[Nov 9, 2011 5:16:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Angelique82

My name is Ever and I approve Kaine

Except for his short stick.

Orite this is about wiping the state clean.
There should indeed be more friendly paycapped non sinky blockades but as mr. Fez stated above, no one takes it. The last friendly kade was on Lilac where Aunty's old flag and SmD were taking part in, but there should be more of those.

I have to add this: SmD and FiB (as emm said) will embrace those who want to test the waters of blockading. I personally would take time to those who need it to teach them everything they need to know about blockading before they step into it.
Golden rule for friendly blockades are to contact the monarch (or a royal) and ask them when to make an appointment. Without both party's agreeing on date/time it will not be a fun blockade for one of them.

I'm hoping to be approached for some fun blockading soon :)
Meridian: Ever
Emerald: Everlasting
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Angelique82 at Nov 9, 2011 5:31:25 PM]
[Nov 9, 2011 5:30:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

I don't mean fair blockades, although that would help. I mean fun blockades. Blockades where afterwards people from both sides that I like are insulting each other are not fun. Blockades that drain excessive poe and resources are less fun, especially for the person providing.

Civility is good, yes, but not at the expense of opinion. If this is a proposal to go to a flower circle where nothing gets done (still), I'd rather continue battling my way through Luffsalot's Archipelago. (Read As- Hell)

If this were anything but a game, I'd agree. But it is a game. People play games to have fun. Currently, there are a number of people who are not having fun for various reasons (unnecessary hate between flags, excessively stressful blockades, disagreements in political issues, etc).
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Nov 9, 2011 5:57:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

Grudge cades are the most competitive and fun cades. Think about it.
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 9, 2011 6:31:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Great post.
And let's start running pillies and smhs before talking blockades. Because cades won't bring people to mala longtime. Last times I checked the notice board ... :( We badly need another pilly till you drop type of event.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Nov 10, 2011 2:42:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Also, this talk of ego-bolstering is rubbish. I certainly would not stop sharing my opinion when others are free to take incorrect jabs and toss out insults. Simply because you do not like it does not mean you have the right to control their freedom to post. Rather than cry afoul when someone brings up an issue, cry over the issue and do something about it. These posts where you try and look uppity and above the fray are ridiculous (This is my jab at Boyk, as apparently he took the chance to do this again in this thread) and just shows incompetence.

Let me guess, you felt targeted by what I said? Now tell me, how come, I mean, I don't see your name in there?
Sincerely
[Nov 10, 2011 7:48:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Let me guess, you felt targeted by what I said? Now tell me, how come, I mean, I don't see your name in there?

Your assumption that I am assuming that I am the target shows your intent for the original target quite well.

No, of course I do not assume you are implicating myself. However, I still stand by my original post.

You try and make yourself look big and that others are below you, start fights, and are petty. Whereas you play a large role in instigating.

For example, the post of Boyk's I have just quoted is clearly instigating a reprisal by implying that the target assumes that things revolve around them.

Get it?
Emmett
[Nov 10, 2011 10:45:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

Your assumption that I am assuming that I am the target shows your intent for the original target quite well.

No, of course I do not assume you are implicating myself. However, I still stand by my original post.

You try and make yourself look big and that others are below you, start fights, and are petty. Whereas you play a large role in instigating.

For example, the post of Boyk's I have just quoted is clearly instigating a reprisal by implying that the target assumes that things revolve around them.

Get it?

Actually, and I find this quite hilarious, you're under the assumption I came here to troll. I understand people take it as instigating/offending when they hear things they don't want to/that doesn't match their ideal. Although, I'll take the liberty of further explaining what I was trying to say in my OP.

Instead of actually stepping back for a second off their high horse of telling others what to do in order to make things work their way to see that maybe they were the ones causing the problem they kept on doing this not once realizing that they might be the ones that needed to change their way of doing things in order to gain the success they were trying to gain by telling others what to do. That has nothing to do with "people should not share their opinion" and "controling their freedom to post" and the rest of the jibberish you put in my mouth in your OP. You are deffinitly one of these. You're like a brickwall to talk to. This is really not the first time I've tried getting at this, and you can feel free to take this as instigating(:OOOOO). There was a time when I even gave you the benefit of the doubt, but I know better nowadays.

Do I instigate? lol, I hope you didn't come to realize this now. Does that mean everything I write is written with that intention? No. I understand it's harder to respect any other points I make because of that, but I don't really care that much if you do or not, after all, I'm only here so you can have your daily doze of arguing with the irrelevant, right?

Although I must mention, I almost choked on a bone (no I didn't die) when you out of all people, I guess it must have been the irony, wrote what you did in your previous posts. Cause you do none of these things you just claimed me to do, do you?
Sincerely
[Nov 10, 2011 1:54:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uncabear

To whom it may concern:

"Wiping the slate clean" interesting concept hard to do in fact.

For my part the tipping point came on Saturday when trying to load an SMH after an hour I had a total of 13 people, needless to say it went no where.

As some can tell you since then I have been jobbing for both my friends and past enemies, this is my part in wiping the slate clean. Actions not words are the only thing that will turn Malachite around if it can be turned around at all.

Cading

Statement: I for the most part do not like cading.

I keep hearing the term "Fair Blockading" this is a misnomer as long as there are alliances on the ocean. The only reason the Argosy flag has alliances is because the opposition has such a large alliance they are in fact almost unbeatable. As long as they can count on getting the jobber support of all the old alliance crews regardless of what ocean they now sail on there is almost no way any flag can oppose them short of the power of poe. Take a look at my alliance and you will find EI of what 5 people and Lighthouse Beacon maybe a few more (both have which have or are in the process of migrating to other oceans), that means 90% of the jobbers I can count on to support us are in my flag. Anyone else that comes to support us comes strict for the poe to be made that means higher paying cades.

So it begs the question why bother cading? Both SMD and Fib have stated many times please come cade us, will to talk on pay caps etc... but as long as they have the advantage in the number of people the rest doesn't matter you have no chance of winning the island. It's a lot of work to setup and run cades, it takes poe to buy all the ships, stock and pay jobbers. Yes it will be fun entertainment for for some weekend pirates but it will not keep people here on malachite in the long run unless you run them every week. Can you afford to run a cade every weekend for fun? I can not.

I don't hate anyone, I have been very disappointed by past friends who thought it fun to attack my flag in the name of cading maybe they will be friends again time will tell. The game comes and goes but the people are the ones who make this game special that's why I come back to Malachite every day. I love my flag and the ones in it! That is the serious personnal part I do bring to the game, you attack my flag it's personnal. You may not like us or the way we do things, know what we don't care, we will play the game for friends and fun.

In closing I will be jobbing for everyone for the good of the ocean. I will continue to oppose anyone who wants to dictate how the game or ocean should be run. That is simply thier opinion and eveyone has thier own point of view, I will respect thier right to it but will oppose them forcing it down on everyone else. To my past friends and enemies the time is now to do what we can to save Malachite, the past is done and over future starts now we work together or our home Malachite will go the way of Crimson.

Unca
Monarch of the flag Argosy of Malachite
Unca on all oceans
Unca
Born on Malachite sailing all oceans
Monarch of Argosy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Uncabear at Nov 10, 2011 2:31:42 PM]
[Nov 10, 2011 2:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jedra

The only reason the Argosy flag has alliances is because the opposition has such a large alliance they are in fact almost unbeatable.

So I don't mean to troll...

I don't mean this accusingly....

But I'm really puzzled by this sentence considering the Argosy/EI/LB et al alliance group pre-dates the existence of either Fill in the Blank or Sick Man's Dream.

I'm also puzzled because, speaking as part of SMD/FiB, we always feel that the majority of jobbers in cades come to us for the poes and not for loyalty as well...

I think we are in a bit of a mexican standoff here - everyone is locked into an alliance ring for fear of not being able to cade competitively because everyone is locked into an alliance ring. Maybe if we all agreed to dissolve our alliances and let our flagmates job as they bear things would be a lot better.
Kaine, the Dreamer

Former King of Sick Man's Dream
Former Royal of Fill in the Blank
Former Royal of Utopia

Former Captain (any every rank below) of Wicked

Current drunken bum who occasionally posts when he's bored.
[Nov 10, 2011 2:49:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

So it begs the question why bother cading? Both SMD and Fib have stated many times please come cade us, will to talk on pay caps etc... but as long as they have the advantage in the number of people the rest doesn't matter you have no chance of winning the island. It's a lot of work to setup and run cades, it takes poe to buy all the ships, stock and pay jobbers. Yes it will be fun entertainment for for some weekend pirates but it will not keep people here on malachite in the long run unless you run them every week. Can you afford to run a cade every weekend for fun? I can not.

What I was implying, although I don't think I directly stated it, was that FiB and SMD should blockade each other, for fun. Sure, we're allies, that doesn't mean the ocean has to become stagnant. I don't know if anyone in FiB or SMD agrees with me, and I'm speaking for my own personal opinions, not as a titled representative.

In my opinion, the very best times politics-wise on this ocean was back when FiB could blockade Blue Ice and still be friends with them. The outcome of the blockade wasn't a big deal. Blockades cost a lot and cost more when the flags are more trying to make the other side lose than make their own side win. A nonsinking blockade with a extremely low paycap, like 250, would not cost a flag very much. You may not get many jobbers, but those who want to play will. Jobbers are spoiled. 250 poe in 8 minutes is more than they can get anywhere else besides an elite pillage with quick battles.

Edit: Also, what Kaine said.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by riku743 at Nov 10, 2011 2:54:50 PM]
[Nov 10, 2011 2:54:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

250 poe in 8 minutes is more than they can get anywhere else besides an elite pillage with quick battles.

You mean interarch pillages not elites right? Quick battles are the key. But if pillaging is not really fun anyways, why would jobbing in a blockade be?
[Nov 10, 2011 3:04:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mamabuns2

Unca & Everyone else that this applies to ~ I am very happy to see you reaching out and jobbing for everyone. I hope that friendships can be mended for the best of Mala

Pillages vs. Blockading ~

As the Queen of SmD I have no issue w/ low paycapped Nonsinkie Blockades. As anyone knows I love cades. I love the annoying ship list organization - the moving stock - the full Day of sitting and spending time w/ some of my best mates having a laugh over which one of our nub navvers sinks the 1st Frig. Some of my fav cades have been the ones against and w/ BI here on Mala and over on Hunter.

I truly would rather Cade then Pilly. So, I would like to host a nonsinkie sloop, fanchuan, or Dhow cade on Lilac. Paycap low w/ a set weekend and time that works great for both sides. If your a smaller flag this should be a little more your speed no need for the WBs and WFs.

I approve of this fun, fair, planned blockade!!! Please send me a /tell if you would like to set a weekend, time, and price for a nonsinkie cade .

I agree that pillies and SMHs keep mates on Mala, but we also have to bring them in and show the that we are fun.

Mamabuns on all Oceans ~ Mala is where my <3 is!!!

Queen of Sick Man's Dream
[Nov 10, 2011 11:49:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Angelique82

Unca wrote :

Cading
The only reason the Argosy flag has alliances is because the opposition has such a large alliance they are in fact almost unbeatable.

I'm just stating some facts now as there might be people interested in this.

today:

Argosy + allies : 382

SmD + allies: 398

So the "fact" that we are unbeatable is off the table now, just wanted to clear that.
Meridian: Ever
Emerald: Everlasting
[Nov 17, 2011 4:45:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

Unca wrote :

Cading

I'm just stating some facts now as there might be people interested in this.

today:

Argosy + allies : 382

SmD + allies: 398

So the "fact" that we are unbeatable is off the table now, just wanted to clear that.

So many alts *_*
[Nov 17, 2011 11:57:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Visionary, you're cool and all that but you really remind me of my sister.

Altho she thinks that video games are an utter waste of time for the sheep with tiny brains that just wanna kill things.
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Nov 17, 2011 3:23:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates