• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3520 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
monstersoda

Malachite Restoration: The Self-Imposed Inferiority Complex

Imagine walking into a meeting of your local school board. You are a student leader representing your high school at a district budgeting meeting. Your school has been labeled a failure; test scores are average, some teachers stand out, but many fade, yet enrollment has been dropping drastically. The district, while not admitting it, mocks your school and gives it the short end of the stick in all the decisions that it makes, simply because of the stigma attached to your school. As a student, you know that there are many bright-minded students and faculty in your school community. The building, constructed during a boon in the economy, is well laid out and full of soundly planned facilities.

Your school would be the first to close if the budget required spending to be reduced.

Malachite finds it's self in a similar situation. The players of this ocean, currently consisting of some of the most sound, thoughtful people in this game, have an ego problem. That is, our egos are directed at each other, yet, we consider ourselves to be sub-par to the rest of the game. For nearly two years (I'd argue after the Fugu, NS, and Drogeo blockades), the idea was propelled that the population of Malachite was too small to do anything with. At the time, we had a bit under 200 players as an ocean average. This number was far from a cause for concern, considering the structure of the ocean, yet was lauded as instant death.

Here we are, two years later, and Malachite exists. Death did not come as they predicted. However, we are left from the effects of this mass exodus propelled by a myth that was taken as fact. (Also a common trend on Malachite.) The reality of the situation was that an alliance, in this case "The BD Alliance" was seen as utterly impossible to defeat. This was not the case. People simply gave up too easily when BD and their allies refused to back down. In fact, BD fared rather poorly up until the blockade of Celesta, but only got to that point through continued determination and a leadership body that had goals and was dedicated to reaching them.

Flags left after it was realized that Malachite would be a contested ocean at all times. The dynamics of the ocean has always led to two alliance groups, and it boils down to the personal connections established long ago in the first months of Malachite. The ocean aligned into pro/anti-BD camps with unaffiliated flags on the fringe.

Today, we are left with the same division. I'd argue that this won't change, due to the threat each side feels they have if they were to go on their own. The alliance centered on Argosy relies on connections to multiple flags in order to feel secure in their holdings, while the FitB alliance depends on making their presence known on the ocean via holding islands, governing in a favorable fashion, and generally attempting to make a good impression. (Argosy also makes good will attempts, I am simply pointing out the main dynamics of the alliances.)

Current fringe groups, such as Explicit (Which has affiliations with both sides) and the other small ring, Climax-centric, seem to be generally threatened by the power exerted by both alliances, and thus remain out of the blockade scene. This is horrible. The thought that either alliance would fight unfairly (based on current island holdings, which I understand means only Fugu for Argosy's ring) would play dirty against a new contender is not true. I can say with full certainty that FitB's alliance would fight fairly, and I have full faith that Argosy would do the same were there to be no insinuating factors.

We ask why people do not start playing on this ocean, and it is due to this alliance system. Why would someone bother coming here if they feel like they'd have to kiss the rum barrel of an established alliance?

For this reason, potential players overlook the fact that around 2/3'rds of this ocean remains uncolonised. This represents a vast amount of islands to be conquered, and I see no better way to create a legacy than building an island from the ground up. Yet, this opportunity will never be unleashed simply because we have it stuck in our minds that it won't be. As we stand, we see in our ocean nothing more than what it currently is, and we do not consider the massive amount of potential that it contains.

Do we not have the guts to stand up and earn the rest of our ocean? How can we blame the OMs when we squander the tools that they have given us to take care of the problem on our own? You all have vast connections in this game, yet I have a feeling you talk down upon your home ocean, simply because it is expected. Why not collaborate in conquest? Go in there, get some ships (they are ungodly cheap, all the quitting and such), and be willing to put in a bit of effort. You want fun from this game? I can promise you that nothing is more fun than seeing actions and results come out of your effort. There is a good feeling seeing a building that you named on an island that you fought with your friends to build.

I swear to you, my fellow pirates of Malachite. If you are willing to put in the work, you'll soon be proud of playing on Malachite.

At this point, someone is thinking, "But you'll just take it back if we win." If you run your island fairly, I see no reason for it to be taken back. However, do note that all flags have the right to blockade. Losing an island should not be personal, yet this does not mean that you can not have pride in owning an island. How many flags have actually tried?

I feel like people look at situations, such as FitB's conquest of EI, as applying to their self. This is not the case. EI used dirty tactics and griefed the ocean as a whole. Other flags would not do the same, so the blockade would not play out anywhere close to the same as it did when two sides strongly disagree with each other.

Give it a chance! Try it! Blockades are an incredible amount of fun, but do you really think they are impossible? No. They do not cost millions of poe in jobbing pay, you don't need 50 frigates (I doubt you'd even use five), and you don't need elite navers. In fact, the elite navers are so full of their self that they are hardly worth the effort. (A lot of them are rather bad, whine in Vent, and are incredibly cocky. Yet, some are very nice people, which you can find both on this ocean and others.)

The problem I have is that I can't tell you everything you need to know to do everything that you want. You just have to learn it by trying to do it. I started on this ocean with no clue how anything worked, but I gave it a shot, got knocked down, but kept at it. Yes, I have made some grandiose mistakes, but that should not stop you.

This is a game, why sit on your poe and stock when you can be playing it?
----------------------------------------
Emmett
[Nov 3, 2011 9:32:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fillalt

Re: Malachite Restoration: The Self-Imposed Inferiority Complex

This is a game, why sit on your poe and stock when you can be playing it?

Maybe beacuse that's more fun for some people?
Fillalt on every ocean.

Shadowy tells ye, "100% inflag team beats a team put together solely for a win, anyday, anytime."

Wirelesscon says, "fill is better than me"
[Nov 4, 2011 6:19:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

tldr
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 4, 2011 11:22:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

tldr

You quit.

If the easy route is prefered, everyone is welcome to quit as well.

I continue to try, as quitting is a rather pathetic excuse. Yet, the quitters seem fine to spend time on this forum, which is odd to me. If you quit, why bother clicking on a thread such as this?

Seems sad to me.
Emmett
[Nov 4, 2011 12:54:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

tldr

You quit.

If the easy route is prefered, everyone is welcome to quit as well.

I continue to try, as quitting is a rather pathetic excuse. Yet, the quitters seem fine to spend time on this forum, which is odd to me. If you quit, why bother clicking on a thread such as this?

Seems sad to me.

I quit, too. But I'm not a quitter. There's quite a difference.
Inum

Castor says, "No, no! You don't know the secret doohickeys!"
Castor says, "You'll blow up the server!"

Galene says, "I'll trade it to Inum, she can sort it out later! :D"

[Nov 4, 2011 2:34:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

tldr

*tl;dr

semicolon??? srsly.
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Nov 4, 2011 4:35:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

If you quit, why bother clicking on a thread such as this?

Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Nov 4, 2011 10:03:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

I see this thread has gone south fast, but honestly, Emmett points out some great facts.

So, as soon as I can, I intend on getting Explicit onto the kading scene, whether it's against Argosy/EI or (more likely) FiB/SMD.

Good luck to everyone, it's time to have some fun.
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Nov 5, 2011 10:18:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

If you quit, why bother clicking on a thread such as this?

I. Love. You.
Sincerely
[Nov 5, 2011 11:50:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tangosueno

I see this thread has gone south fast, but honestly, Emmett points out some great facts.

So, as soon as I can, I intend on getting Explicit onto the kading scene, whether it's against Argosy/EI or (more likely) FiB/SMD.

Right on mate. I can't wait. Glad someone is stepping up. Lets have some fun cades.
Tangosueno in the Meridian~~
Gallo says, "I barely ever have to move it myself anymore"

[Nov 5, 2011 1:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

Right on mate. I can't wait. Glad someone is stepping up. Lets have some fun cades.

Someone stepping up? When we tried we got hate and criticism.
Inum

[Nov 5, 2011 3:53:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonboyred

Maybe you should try and be, like, friendly when you do it. Then both sides have fun.
Bunnyspawn, Malachite's most arrogant player.

Also Bunnyspawn on Sage and Hunter;Disgraced on Viridian.

I support PvP in sinking environments.
[Nov 5, 2011 4:17:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tangosueno

Maybe you should try and be, like, friendly when you do it. Then both sides have fun.

The criticism wasn't because you caded us. It was how you caded us.
Tangosueno in the Meridian~~
Gallo says, "I barely ever have to move it myself anymore"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tangosueno at Nov 5, 2011 4:38:21 PM]
[Nov 5, 2011 4:37:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monehmaker

You have the best PVP navvers on mala, showcased at the Fugu kade.
A MJT representative.
[Nov 5, 2011 8:47:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

A retaliation blockade is not stepping up, it is panicking when you are threatened.

I applaud Explicit's efforts, as I am glad to see someone actually step up.
Emmett
[Nov 6, 2011 9:37:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
totoiseshell

A retaliation blockade is not stepping up, it is panicking when you are threatened.

I applaud Explicit's efforts, as I am glad to see someone actually step up.

The definition of retaliate: to take retributory action, esp by returning some injury or wrong in kind.

Thus we would have had to step up and cade to actually get an island in the first place. Argument invalidated.
Inum

[Nov 6, 2011 10:24:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates