• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2673 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
UnkownAlien

Moving the .yohoho folder Reply to this Post

Can you move the .yohoho folder to one other than your home directory? Because my C Drive is almost full, and I want all new installed stuff to go into the new hard drive I got, which is D. I tried just moving the folder, but then the game couldn't find them, and started downloading them all over again!
[Aug 19, 2003 9:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Re: Moving the .yohoho folder Reply to this Post

I'm much of a windoze user anymore, but here's a few thoughts.

Install java on yer D drive and launch javawebstart from there (Its installed with java)

Or if you can, install your browser on your D drive.

basically you want to launch Y!PP from your D drive (however you launch Y!PP)

Not sure if this is possible under the current Windoze OS, but that's what will most likely need to happen for you to keep .yahoho on D:
----------------------------------------
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Aug 19, 2003 9:44:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

Javawebstart is already on my D drive, so that doesn't do anything. I don't think installing Internet Explorer to my D drive will help either :\.

This is a real problem for me, because I have 174 MB left in my C drive. Yet, when it gets all the media there's like 20-30 MB, at most. But I checked the .yohoho folder, and it says that it's only 70 or so MB! WTF!? Someone please help!
[Aug 19, 2003 10:21:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

From what I understand, the .yohoho folder is expected to be in your home folder.
The only thing I can think of is to move the whole home folder to D: (I don't know if it's possible, maybe i'll have to tweak the registry).
[Aug 19, 2003 10:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

Great, that means I'll have to wait until my new computer is all made before I can play this. But then I'll have a machine that can actually play current games :\.
[Aug 19, 2003 10:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

isn't there some way to edit your environmental variables under windows?

Maybe look for one that points to the dir on C that .yohoho is at now.

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Aug 19, 2003 10:41:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

I have no idea.
[Aug 19, 2003 10:44:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

only the devs know that. but i'm afraid it's hard coded
[Aug 19, 2003 10:46:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

Damn, then I guess it's off Puzzle Pirates... :(
[Aug 19, 2003 10:48:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

tipeon wrote: 
only the devs know that. but i'm afraid it's hard coded

I doubt that very much. I'm sure its an environmental variable

Look for a system control panel.

UnkownAlien, what OS do ye run anyway?

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Aug 19, 2003 10:50:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

Actually, there might be an environment variable that we could change: it's "java.home". But it's not a Windows (or shell) environment variable; its a Java environment variable. You can change its value with the option -Djava.home=<value>. The thing we lack is a mean to specify it. I'm going to investigate.

EDIT: JavaWebStart don't allow me to specify an option.
[Aug 19, 2003 10:57:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

So that means I will have to wait for my new computer then?
[Aug 19, 2003 11:28:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

aye.
Alternatively, you can make room on your C: drive. Using the biggest disk as C: is an option, too.
[Aug 19, 2003 11:34:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

Thanks for the help guys.
[Aug 19, 2003 11:53:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

Not sure if this would work, but you could try moving the Java cache directory along with the .yohoho directory.

In the Java Web Start application - File - Preferences - Advanced - Application Folder Options.

Change that setting to another drive and see what happens.

As I said, I havent tried it, so not sure if it would work ;)
[Aug 20, 2003 8:44:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

The cache directory and the .yohoho directory are different things.

I haven't tried, but i'm sure it won't work.
[Aug 20, 2003 8:50:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

I just thought it might be worth a try.

As both of mine point to the same parent directory, I thought that YPP might use that setting to determine where the .yohoho directory should be.
[Aug 20, 2003 9:15:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

why not just move the entire folder to D: drive? In windows you SHOULD be able to play from whatever drive your system points to. I know that ALL my games, except for YPP are on my secondary hard drive, and they all work. Just didn't do it with YPP...
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Aug 20, 2003 10:04:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

It can't be moved because it has to be in the "home" folder.
That .yohoho directory isn't an install directory like those of the other games. It's more like a cache for the media data.
[Aug 20, 2003 10:26:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnkownAlien

Exactly, the game only finds it when it's in the home one. Thus, I can't move it to my secondary :(. Oh well, my new computer should be all done by Friday or so.
[Aug 21, 2003 3:03:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates