• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2239 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Thusnelda

Private discussion forums Reply to this Post

So I've been thinking about this for a little bit, and was wondering if it might be possible. Is there any way of making mini forums that are available to certain people only (passwords or something)? I found myself wanting to talk about *top-secret* matters with other officers of my crew, or at least other crew members, and of course they're not always around. Say, for instance, we wanted to discuss *top secret* recruitment strategies or dastardly plans of some sort (of course, for us, everything's Dastardly :P). It simply would not do to post it all in the crew forum, because scurvy dogs from other crews would then be able to check out our plans. I think this might become even more important in the future, when we start getting into the big crew wars and islands and flags and stuff that requires more planning.

I realize that we could just as easily exchange email addresses, but there's this element of separation that's kind of nice-- some of us have a non-piratey identity that we might want to keep a little more separate. We've also been discussing this kind of thing at my non-piratey office and found that a forum is nicer than a listserv (or similar). It allows you to a) be more immediately referential, as the previous topics are right in front of the writer and reader, and b) gain a little organization about which topics you would most like to see at certain times. (In other words, you don't have to wade through six pages of "Ode to a Crab" or a personal rant about carpentry frustration if you don't feel like it.)

Is there any way, oh great and kindly (but cruel on the open seas) developers, that we might be able to explore something like this?

Thusnelda
(who wouldn't even trust her husband to stay out of the Dastards forum)
----------------------------------------
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jan 12, 2003 6:06:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: Private discussion forums Reply to this Post

There is a way to post messages within the crew (issues) and I believe officers and the captain can post (bottom of the info screen)... recentely there've been problems with it popping up multiple messages saying there's new issues... perhaps this has been cleared up tho...
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 12, 2003 6:13:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Easy Money Reply to this Post

Just set up a forum elsewhere. Easy money! =o)
Ava
[Jan 12, 2003 6:31:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

It would be great if the different crews could have their own forum that shares the login on this board. Im sure Cleaver can whip up something like that eh?
It's certainly necessary when the flags are introduced and there will be a greater rivalry between the crews.

Also any chance we could have a picture added to our profile? I know it takes bandwidth for low-bandwidth players, but once cached it should be fine.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 12, 2003 8:46:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Not Suitable Reply to this Post

This wouldn't work. Suppose I have two pirates in my account, each in a different crew. How is the system to know what I am to see and not? It's inherently insecure by design.
Ava
[Jan 12, 2003 8:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Don't get me wrong, but isn't this supposed to be a mmoRPG?
Wouldn't part of the RPG element be having to have officers actually meet and lay their plans IN GAME using the avaliable chat system?

Maybe the crews main ship could have a limited bbs for voting and stuff, but nothing fancy. Or the maybe that's how the 'issues' part of the crew description will work.

Since every single player can create their own crew if they feel like it, giving all crews their own forum here would take too much bandwidth and manpower.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jan 13, 2003 12:16:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Cryptic

While a nice idea, I think these types of crew gatherings are going to have to be done through traditional "guild" pages which are player created / hosted.
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jan 13, 2003 11:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Absolutely Reply to this Post

I agree entirely! The "Issues" and "Info" pages can contain the "News", and if crews want thier own, private, forum, there are plenty of providers online who'll help provide them for free or minimal expense.

As it happens, I've already started implementing such a system for the Dragons. It'll be up for deployment as soon as I've moved house (having just been evicted on account of my landlady going bonkers). Of course it'll be made clear that this is NOT for discussion of bugs or anything else of value to the Dev. Team, but nonetheless... it's coming... =o)
Ava
[Jan 14, 2003 1:08:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates