• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2975 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
NotoreeouS

The Pirate Diplomat brings to you.... The Daily Pirate! (Mix of diplomacy and rumour stomping news)

READ FIRST!

Definition: Forum - a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest.

The three posts below mine are pure examples of what shouldn't happen in a forum. If its too long and dont wish to read it, then dont! :) No need to advertise it for the rest of the world to care.

READ FIRST!

So after today's little mishap while jobbing for the Hadrian island blockade, while in an Imperial Coalition crew, and after having a heated discussion with Sverdup, I decided I was going to make a forum defence post about bullying and victimisation.

But thanks to my attention-to-detail nature, I was writing such a long essay, that I actually stumbled upon a better idea!

I decided information is something which I like the most, and distributing of that information, and also helping others out. So, as an idea, I thought I'd go around interviewing everyone with some quick-fire questions, and just compiling it all into information that someone could use.

If people haven't already realised, the main incident that I am going to kick off this interviewing, is about the "I-Hate-Legacy" bandwagon trend that is going around at moment. Legacy ought to make a production line into I-Hate-Legacy mugs and caps under an alt flag, they'd make a bloody killing!

Jokes aside, what this means is that there is going to be a bloke going around, being completely neutral, and purely reporting facts that are given to him by different parties, for different issues. Facts that include, why they are against a certain party, what said certain party can do to be in good graces again, and if not, what compromises can be made so that while, both parties cannot be friends, can at least treat each other with dignity and the show of good sportsmanship that goes with any sort of competitive thing (See Blockading; quote, "how bigs YOUR island?")

I'll ask for opinions and true certified thoughts, so don't be afraid to give me a few cuss words i.e. Blahblah are ****ing ****s I hate them they are so ****ing bad, but just make sure you add a reason to it, make sure its legible, and legit. And what your ideal solution is to the whole problem. With that, I will relay it to the party involved, and they can do what they want with it.

You must be willing to compromise, remember, you can't have the best world in one hand. I mean, shit, if I did, I'd be raging why I wasn't born in the Gates family.

So what I will do:

-Find cold hard nuggets of information, opinions from different sources and different people, and QUOTE them for it. I will be asking groups of people as well (i.e. flag royalty, crew senior command, etc)
-Post ongoing disputes and progress, as well as report on opinions, etc.
-Relay to the parties involved, and interview people involved.
-And try to get a general consensus of the ocean as well, which can be achieved by "interviewing" everyone from the various stages of the game; from newbie to pirate king.
-Report it on the forums for everyone to read, and hopefully quash any rumours about EITHER side of the board, and sift out which is true, and which is not.

What I don't want:

-Trolls. It just undermines your status mateys, I am trying to do a good thing here, use my time to barter a peaceful and fun game, so all you're doing is just shooting yourself in the foot in the long run, and your fellow pirates that you'd call friends.

What I wont do:
-Spread rumours.
-Be used as a middleman for attacks to the other side.
-Tell any information I am privvy to.

Hopefully I can get my trustworthiness up in the eyes of everyone one day for all this crap, because I am just merely playing my part and giving back to a game that gives to me.

This service will be provided free of charge to anyone that wants to have any of their disputes, issues and what not solved through a middleman. I'd certainly appreciate donations for my time invested, but I am merely doing this because I thought: hey, instead of starting another drama war on the forums about bullying, why not instead try to quash it with a solution.

Thanks to:

The pirates in the jobbing crew who read my messages.

Sverdup for having wrong theories, but giving me this grand idea! (indirectly, cheers to you though mate, you did make me mad enough to think about it in a sense)

Monlizzy for changing her mind and letting me job for her blockade.

To everyone that participates in my interviewing.

Lastly, Legacy, for creating a problem (again indirectly) that seems worth enough to fix.

Hexlock
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by NotoreeouS at Oct 30, 2011 11:35:40 AM]
[Oct 30, 2011 11:15:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotoreeouS

Just an FYI

Just an FYI,

If any rumours get told that involve you, just tell me about it, I'll go investigate! :)

I.E.

Party A told Party B

WTF, you supplied your ships to the other side for the blockade?

Party B goes, WTF, no I didn't? Who told you I did?!

Party B goes to the only pirate who only has information on his/her fleet, and goes WHAT THE !@#$? What have you been telling people?

Misunderstandings like this could be easily avoided, if you either A) Ask nicely for some information, i.e. Have you been supplying ships to the other side, Or B) If you feel uncomfortable, get a middle man to do it!

Oh oh, and a footnote:

I am not a Legacy puppet! Hopefully my friends can vouch for me there. Maybe a very staunch Legacy supporter, but definitely living, breathing, talking on his own free will. Legacy has not asked me to do this on their behalf, and I am sure I can find people to support and back me up on this :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by NotoreeouS at Oct 30, 2011 11:23:28 AM]
[Oct 30, 2011 11:16:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotoreeouS

Reserved

Reserved!
[Oct 30, 2011 11:16:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Re: Reserved

These are on the house,

[removed by SOPA]
[Oct 30, 2011 11:19:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

tl,dr
Roseh

[Oct 30, 2011 11:21:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boroboy1

tl,dr

Seepnah
[Oct 30, 2011 11:22:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
the_rock99

tl,dr

Greatness.
Better than you.
[Oct 30, 2011 11:32:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitehazed

Dw man, I read it.
Recruiting a 'Nagflar' character to hold my camel.
# Team Bacon Strips # SwagSauce # YOTO.
[Oct 30, 2011 11:34:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MimiLinda

Read the first part like you asked in tells.

Well you see some of us didn't just started reading forums, I don't need to read all that to know what you want to do, tittle says it all and I can tell you is it's been done before, many times; never wen't too well.
Roseh

[Edit 1 times, last edit by MimiLinda at Oct 30, 2011 11:40:42 AM]
[Oct 30, 2011 11:39:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anchovygirl

I think what should be discussed is who is really a superpro navver.
Anchovia
[Edit 1 times, last edit by anchovygirl at Oct 30, 2011 11:56:26 AM]
[Oct 30, 2011 11:40:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Why would you be in the gates family?
Bill already said his kids dont get any of his money.
He made it himself.
If they wanna be rich, they can go do it themselves, he says.

Just to clarify.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Oct 30, 2011 11:50:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NotoreeouS

Well those people weren't me, were they now? :P
[Oct 30, 2011 11:52:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Re: The Pirate Diplomat brings to you.... The Daily Pirate! (Mix of diplomacy and rumour stomping news)

READ FIRST!

Definition: Forum - a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest.

The three posts below mine are pure examples of what shouldn't happen in a forum. If its too long and dont wish to read it, then dont! :) No need to advertise it for the rest of the world to care.

READ FIRST!

For what it's worth, I read about 75% of it before posting. Needless to say, you could have saved everyone a lot of reading and made your main points in two to three sentences.

It seems that you're new to forums so I'll give you a brief breakdown of how things work here and how they differ from the definition you posted.

In my experience, it's very hard to hold the readers' attention in longer posts, particularly if you don't have the reputation of being a thoughtful, intelligible poster. Generally I'll read through the first few sentences of any longer post and decide whether I'll continue based on that. I doubt others are as patient as myself so they skipped over most of your post and branded it 'tl;dr.'

There are also a lot of impatient, immature, or just obnoxious posters that care more about silly one-liners and herpaderp (which we all do to varying degrees, but I start to question the utility of your presence on Earth if you're doing it all the time) than for actual discussion. The handful of posters that branded your post don't really fall under that category, so you're not exactly being ripped into by morons.

Moving onto your idea, as Roseh said, there have been several attempts to do that in the past, with varying degrees of success. Personally, I think it's not a bad idea in general but I think it would have to be done by someone who has followed the scene for a while or has even been in it, despite any bias that may yield in their writing. Journalism is never unbiased. Perhaps it would be best to have several people doing this so we can all choose for ourselves what to believe.

If you really want to do it, go for it. If you do a good job and it's a worthwhile read, people will start to appreciate it and will take you more seriously. If not, well, sorry. I don't think anyone will be particularly unappreciative of being asked questions here and there, so I don't see any harm in poking players in-game for "interview."

And I don't think hate is the right word to use regarding the recent counter*-Legacy actions and events. It's Legacy's actions and certain policies that many don't agree with, not the flag itself and its capabilities. Many, myself included, were very optimistic about Legacy's potential to become a flag that could positively affect the ocean. Unfortunately, a lot of us were disappointed but that's a story for another thread (perhaps your first article).

*-rather than 'anti-'

And I'll probably get some tl;dr as well, especially now that I've called it (first person to do it gets a kick in the crotch).
[removed by SOPA]
[Oct 30, 2011 12:02:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

Re: The Pirate Diplomat brings to you.... The Daily Pirate! (Mix of diplomacy and rumour stomping news)

Rumour has it, that I'm awsome. Please investigate.
Shadowie on Obsidian
[Oct 30, 2011 12:08:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

tldr *2
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Oct 30, 2011 1:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

[removed by SOPA]
[Oct 30, 2011 1:33:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
M_Cobain

I vote for Elfeesh and myself being your first and second journalists. We make great stories and are very trustworthy. Also we are considered to be 'pixel lookers', which means we're pretty attractive. This helps with interviewing (possibly having sex with) the person we interview for your research.

We aquire:

- A hat

- A badge that says 'Journalist'

- A salary

We deliver:

- Stories

- In depth interviews

- Going deep in general
Martobain

YPPedia improved with Tom Cruise the Elephant (who's my friend and buddy) catalogue!
[Oct 30, 2011 6:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elfeesh

I agree with everything Martobain has said. Our stories both encapsulate and explain in great detail. Our ability to go deep both in journalism and in the course of life (such as Martobain's conception) makes us excellent candidates for such a task. I hope you will consider our applications with good will and deliberate justly. You can see a list of our necessary items to begin our careers as journalists. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Elfeesh, Prince of Dilemma.
Elfeesh

"We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glow-worm."
[Oct 30, 2011 6:53:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kamuflaro

I vote [...] myself being your first [...] Going deep in general

Hired!
Forum mute - your shot at the waves of spam (also works on threads)
[Oct 31, 2011 12:49:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates