• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3470 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Christoban

Flag and crew name sniping in Viridian

So the devs were pretty strict on making sure that nobody stole anybody else's pirate name. What about the names for crews and flags?

..really, I'm just curious (so far)..

Silvertalon: Do I know you? Does Prisama or Pleione or Woody? PM me please. Thanks.

...just curious (so far) ...

Christoban,
First mate of HALF CIRCLE FROM HELL, MIDNIGHT
----------------------------------------
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Apr 16, 2005 1:59:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fr4nk

Re: Flag and crew name sniping in Viridian

Viridian's been open for awhile now.. if you wanted to create your crew, why didn't you? No offense but getting angry about this now is kind of silly.
Misery
[Apr 16, 2005 2:34:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thecrimsontide.org    kyuuket5u [Link]  Go to top 
enKrypt

Christoban wrote: 
So the devs were pretty strict on making sure that nobody stole anybody else's pirate name. What about the names for crews and flags?

Silvertalon: Do I know you? Does Prisama or Pleione or Woody? PM me please. Thanks.

...just curious (so far) ...

Christoban,
First mate of HALF CIRCLE FROM HELL, MIDNIGHT

This bothers me a little too. Seeing the Half Circle From Hell flag on Midnight. I was the 2nd member of the original Half Circle on Azure.
[Viridian]Alysia - Crewless
[Midnight]Feint - Captain - Feint Mercenaries
[Apr 16, 2005 6:12:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
enKrypt

fr4nk wrote: 
Viridian's been open for awhile now.. if you wanted to create your crew, why didn't you? No offense but getting angry about this now is kind of silly.

It costs actual money to be able to start a crew and flag. More than a month's subscription.
[Apr 16, 2005 6:13:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

fr4nk wrote: 

Not angry, just curious. (so far)

Christoban, twice, wrote: 

Can someone start up the Crimson Tide flag on Viridian? Can someone start up the Pirates of the Damned on Viridian? What about the second or third or fourth or fifth dubloon servers that the ringers are forced to open when the Ubisoft release hits the shelves?

It's a valid question, Misery, don't turn it into a parlay whinefest. Can I be king of Crimson Tide on Viridian2? I'm asking what the ringer policy is, because they've already determined that some names are 'ypp-copywright' worthy, like characters named "Whitefire," for instance.
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Apr 16, 2005 9:46:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

The policy basically was, they protect names from existing subscribers for a week or so when a new server opens up. After that, it's fair game.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 16, 2005 10:14:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

[quote:a9a33e5f61="Cleaver, in this post,"]The problem with reserving names is that it doesn't scale well -- what happens on the next server, which set of Pirates get to reserve their names there? Hopefully it won't be too much of a mad race, as many mates will be content to stay on Midnight. Deliberate name 'thefts' will of course be very much frowned upon and revoked.[/quote]
This of course was only about pirate, not crew or flag names. But I think the point stands that reserving crew and flag names is not a scalable solution as many more oceans open up. The oceans are meant to be separate, so flag X on ocean Y doing some act shouldn't reflect on flag X on ocean Z. It might be harder to be so open-minded in practice.

Faulkston,
parallel universes never meet?
[Apr 16, 2005 10:15:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
fr4nk

The only reason I turned it into what I did is because Viridian opened two months ago, if your goal was to form Half Circle from Hell on all servers, you and your mates could have done so, that's all. If someone wants to create Pirates of the Damned somewhere else, by all means, it's theirs, not like the name is so original it's a (tm). If it was our goal to do it, we would have. It was our goal to do it on Cobalt, and we did it, we were also the first crew on Cobalt. I understand real money is involved in starting a crew on Viridian, but if you want doubloons, you can get them for PoE, or at least that's my understanding. Also, I believe the name restriction falls into play for some people who have others taking their names simply to impersonate them on other servers.

It's not a matter of who is better or more well-known than who else. It's a matter of who goes to the OMs and says, hey, they took my name. Two months into it, it's unlikely I could go complain about Misery being taken, I could have created the name day one. And yes, again, I stress, I understand there is real-world money involved in starting a crew, but, again, I stress, two months is an awful long time in this game.
Misery
[Apr 16, 2005 10:35:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thecrimsontide.org    kyuuket5u [Link]  Go to top 
Soulja

Firstly, creating a crew on Viridian is much harder than just holding a name.

Secondly, Half Circle From Hell is the kinda name that would be deliberately stolen, it's not something you'd just think of like Misery or even Pirates of the Damned.
Nemesis wrote: 
Please remove your current signature as, out of context, it is inappropriate.

Idaa wrote: 
people like you are why the world is such a mess and hope you don/t spawn more kids

[Apr 16, 2005 12:38:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
enKrypt

Soulja wrote: 
Firstly, creating a crew on Viridian is much harder than just holding a name.

Secondly, Half Circle From Hell is the kinda name that would be deliberately stolen, it's not something you'd just think of like Misery or even Pirates of the Damned.

Yea. Especially since there is no Half Circle From Hell.

It was made up when Woody left the First Circle of Hell and formed his own crew.

I probably know the origins of the Half Circle better than anyone...besides Woody.
[Apr 16, 2005 1:19:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Daedra might be 2nd for knowing. Or not. I am 4th.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Apr 16, 2005 2:04:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
enKrypt

Penndalla wrote: 
Daedra might be 2nd for knowing. Or not. I am 4th.

I was a pirate in the First Circle of Hell. I was supposedly going to become an officer in training.

Then Woody formed the Half Circle From Hell, and chose me to join him. And I was made a Senior Officer. So I was the 2nd member of the Half Circle.

Daedra could know more about WHY it formed, but I know more about the actual beginnings of the crew forming.
[Apr 16, 2005 2:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fr4nk

enKrypt wrote: 
It costs actual money to be able to start a crew and flag. More than a month's subscription.

Not to bring this back up, but it was bothering me, so I went to Viridian for the first time tonight to check it out. I'm not sure if it costs doubloons to create a flag, but as for a crew, a sloop costs 20 doubloons, and a captain's badge costs 20 doubloons.. 40 doubloons (if purchased in a batch of 42) cost 9.95$, a month's subscription for Cobalt or Midnight is also, 9.95$.
Misery
[Apr 18, 2005 8:54:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thecrimsontide.org    kyuuket5u [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

I believe there's a crew creation fee as well.

Mind you, if you're a skilled, experienced Midnighter, earning 70-ish doubloons in a month is well within reach.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Apr 18, 2005 9:47:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

10 doubloons to create a crew.
20 to create a flag.
[Apr 19, 2005 12:23:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Abandon all hope, you who enter this crew?

Perosnally, I don't see it as a big deal. Unless they're specifically posing as other people. Maybe they just thought the name sounded cool and decided to use it. Or maybe it's someone from the crew on Midnight/Azure that decided to start over. Either way, like Mis said, you really had your shot to retake the name, but opted not too, or were far too slow.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Apr 19, 2005 1:00:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Just PvP them?
[Apr 19, 2005 1:27:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Akumu

NinjaGuy wrote: 
Either way, like Mis said, you really had your shot to retake the name, but opted not too, or were far too slow.

Er... The option to take the name costs $14, minimum, closer to $17. 70 doubloons is atleast 100K now. More like 150k.
[Apr 19, 2005 4:07:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    muteakumu [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

I really do like Viridian, doing things that bothers folks either costs money or lots of your time. So if you take a name, you deserve it, and if you do it just for spite, Three Rings makes more because of it. It cuts down on abuse.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Apr 19, 2005 4:12:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Akumu wrote: 
Er... The option to take the name costs $14, minimum, closer to $17. 70 doubloons is atleast 100K now. More like 150k.

50 dubs should be just over 10 bucks, right? And if you borrowed someone else's boat for the creation, 30 dubs. From where are you getting 70?
[Apr 19, 2005 4:18:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Captain's badge (20) + sloop (20) + form crew (10) + form flag (20).
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Apr 19, 2005 5:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Akumu wrote: 
NinjaGuy wrote: 
Either way, like Mis said, you really had your shot to retake the name, but opted not too, or were far too slow.

Well this other crew which is just sniping did it in plenty of time, and paid real money for it. I see many of you posting here have crews too, you just opted for different names.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Apr 19, 2005 8:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
DarkGuardian

Yeah, the whole "who are you talking about, on which ocean?" thing just got more complex.

You could (previously) be fairly sure that someone talking about Flag A was talking about Flag A on Midnight. This looks like one of the drawbacks to multiple servers we should probably just put up with for now. Viridian will always be "another world" almost entirely unlike Cobalt, unless they do the unthinkable, and turn off doubloons.

Maybe crew and flag names that were "well known" by some measure (owning an island, maybe 2, or a massive fleet containing a Frigate?) should be automatically protected. Then again, having multiple pirates with the same name could be considered just another part of the social puzzle. Confusion to your enemies, and all that ... Yar!

Just so you know, Mongo on Viridian is NOT me ;)

[edit: grammar fix]
Foilistc wrote: 

This is one of the strangest ideas I've ever had the pleasure of not agreeing with on this forum.

[Apr 19, 2005 8:53:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ceryl

Christoban wrote: 
I'm asking what the ringer policy is, because they've already determined that some names are 'ypp-copywright' worthy, like characters named "Whitefire," for instance.

I'm surprised that Rifkind wasn't one of these names then. I would have thought the only names copyrighted would be OM and Dev names.
[Apr 20, 2005 6:27:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates