• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 950 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
randomact

Deleted/redirected pages Reply to this Post

Hi guys.

There have been times when I've gone to look at something on the Yppedia, and I've come up with a deleted page. For example, Brigand King. I found that the page Bk has the information, but shouldn't there also be the Brigand King page with the BK rerouting to it?

Another one that has a similar issue is there not being a page for Cursed_Isles, but being one for Cursed_Isle (with the title saying Cursed Isles - redirected from Cursed Isle). I don't have a clue how to fix it (or if it's purposely like that), but thought I'd bring it up so those who are able to fix it (if needed) are aware.
----------------------------------------
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Oct 14, 2011 2:08:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Re: Deleted/redirected pages Reply to this Post

There is a page Brigand King with both words capitalized as it is a proper noun. The redirect to this article from "Brigand king" was deleted, because a search for "Brigand king" automatically brings up the "Brigand King" page. So the question would be, how you ended up at "Brigand king" (maybe the redirect wasn't redundant after all) ?

The title "BK" is just a redirect to the "Brigand King" page.
[Oct 14, 2011 2:37:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Ah fair enough. I didn't realise that capitalisation would matter, as I figured it would be the same page. Generally, when looking for a page I type in the words I'm looking for at the end of yppedia.puzzlepirates.com. So my typing in .com/brigand_king brought up a deleted page, whereas if I had of typed .com/Brigand_King instead I would have hit what I wanted.

Seems odd to me, but at least now I know. Thanks :)
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Oct 14, 2011 2:44:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Going to an article via URL would be an argument for having a redirect in those cases. It wouldn't really hurt except that links using a undesirable capitalization wouldn't turn red anymore. Hm ....
[Oct 14, 2011 3:21:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

It's because in more recent versions of MediaWiki, user-created redirects for alternative capitalizations are more or less obsolete due to improvements in the internal redirection mechanisms. So for example, if a flag is called The Best Flag Ever - typing the best flag ever into the search box will now take you to the article for The Best Flag Ever.

It does get a little wound up if manual redirects or articles with matching titles in other cases get in the way.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Oct 15, 2011 4:49:26 PM]
[Oct 15, 2011 4:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates