• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2594 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Altbobone

to all those concerned.

So several things to address here. First and foremost, there seems to be a general lack of awareness of a basic concept. And that concept is.... an argument doesn't continue unless you choose to participate in it. An argument takes two different sides and at least two different people. If one side shuts up, then it's suddenly just people talking to themselves. Therefore, end of argument. Obviously, regardless of protestations of “it's just a game”, it's gone far beyond that. Why is it obvious? Because there wouldn't be the on going need for defensive attacks and responses if it really was “just a game”. If it was “just a game”, then these continual cycles of defensive attacks and responses wouldn't go on for literally weeks. And if it was “just a game”, maybe the argument could end by one side just simply shutting up.

Secondly, since the overwhelming majority of you on here are full fledged tax paying adults, I'm going to put this whole thing in a different perspective. So let's say you're going to a job interview. To impress your prospective employer, you say, “I've written extensive treaties on the politics, ethics, and logistics of cading.” You see an attractive member of the correct gender at the bar. You walk up and say, “Hey there. I'm the top naver in the ocean. Wanna come over to my place and watch me cade?” You see your beloved sitting across the room. They've been having a bad day. You say, “Oh I'm sorry honey. I'll be with you in a bit. I just need to finish this round. Then we'll talk about your grandma or you or whatever it is. Sorry, didn't notice what you said.” Seriously, do you think it's impressive phrased that way, or is it all just a little bit sad?

Third, I will readily admit that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a massive personal issue with me and one where it is difficult for me to remain polite. Regardless of who we are, what we are, what gender we prefer, what religion, what disability, whether physical or psychological, how smart we are, any of a countless list of terms we both place upon ourselves and have others place upon us, we are judged according to the content of our actions. The vast majority of people on here neither know nor care about any given person's “disability”. They care about one thing. They care about the content of your actions. A jerk is simply a jerk regardless of whether they're a medicated jerk or not (Or in a wheelchair. Or black. Or white. Or muslim. Or christian. Or gay. Or straight. Doesn't matter. Still just a jerk.)

OWN RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. Quit looking for excuses. You are adults. There's no magic unicorn standing in your room controlling every word that comes through your fingers nor every button you decide to click. No one's making you say things you don't want to. Dear god, if you aren't going to change your behavior, that's just fine. Everyone has the right to decide to behave how they want to. But at least be honest about it. At least admit that you're doing what you want to because YOU WANT TO, not because of some weak and lame excuse. Regardless of it's poor behavior on the forums or on the game, you're doing it because you want to. The end.

PS. That's coming from a bipolar and dyslexic. They're not excuses for me. They're reasons to fight harder. I didn't want people treating me like a bomb waiting to explode, so I worked hard to take control of my behavior. I didn't want people to think I was an idiot, so I worked hard to over come my learning disability. IT WAS MY CHOICE AND MY HARD WORK. NOT MY EXCUSE. So don't even bother to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I assure you, I do.

I am choosing to use an alt account to post this. No matter how comfortable I am with my state of life and state of mind, I know that others aren't. I feel no desire to deal with the potential cruelty of others.
[Sep 27, 2011 5:33:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Re: to all those concerned.

Wut.
----------------------------------------
Captainrich
[Sep 27, 2011 6:20:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Someone had a traumatic Viridian experience and wrote a scrambled essay about it, and other things that came to their mind, Richeh
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Sep 27, 2011 7:41:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ichlet8

There's just...so...many things to nitpick at. I don't feel like citing them all, but how about the, "I don't make excuses...oh, by the way; here's some excuses!, but they aren't excuses" part of the rant? Anddddd, what is the point of this?...I don't even...

Also, man up. Post on your main, you bipolar buffoon.
~Ichigokuro, Viridian

It's disgusting how little that you try;
the existential equivalent of pink eye.
[Sep 27, 2011 10:42:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Every forum alt ever.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Sep 27, 2011 10:44:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tmnagis

Q?
Heavywepsguy on Viridian RIP 2012. Buy doubs or your hard work goes to dust when you go on hiatus...

Geegeenore on Emerald

Name will remain ironic until my Gunning can get somewhere higher than Proficient and Able. Nvm, I'm master
[Sep 28, 2011 4:35:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Considering this post doesn't make any personal attacks/call people out/etc, I don't see why you guys got quarter chubs for the whole alt argument.
[Sep 28, 2011 5:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LunEnvoy

Considering this post doesn't make any personal attacks/call people out/etc, I don't see why you guys got quarter chubs for the whole alt argument.

Whats more pathetic than pathetic adults, is people acting like teenagers and telling other pathetic adults what they need to do (in their opinion) to grow the f up.
LoLune

I'm still just the guard dog. I bite. They shoot.
[Sep 28, 2011 6:04:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KariMinger

There's just...so...many things to nitpick at. I don't feel like citing them all, but how about the, "I don't make excuses...oh, by the way; here's some excuses!, but they aren't excuses" part of the rant? Anddddd, what is the point of this?...I don't even...

Dude, I even know who the OP is, and I have been out of the game for 5-6 years until a few weeks ago. Worst. attempt. at. anonymity. ever.
Zazazu : blockading near you
Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
[Sep 28, 2011 6:58:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

Dude, I even know who the OP is, and I have been out of the game for 5-6 years until a few weeks ago. Worst. attempt. at. anonymity. ever.

That's immensely pro. Teach!
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Sep 28, 2011 7:15:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

Nice post mate..
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Sep 29, 2011 8:20:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amburwashere

+1 LOL
Ambur
Hunter and Viridian Ocean
Banned on 9-29-11
[Sep 29, 2011 8:45:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    amburPP@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shawe

TLDR - I'll just assume you're whining about something and offer condolences that building walls of text aren't a puzzling skill (yet). Keep your head up.
Shawe - Greed is good.
"FIGHT CLUB!" Avatars by Shawe.
[Sep 29, 2011 8:58:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shawe [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

If he posted who he is it'd just sound like a passive aggressive attack on someone he doesn't like. He made a few decent points and didn't attack anyone.

TLDR - I'll just assume you're whining about something and offer condolences that building walls of text aren't a puzzling skill (yet). Keep your head up.

Spellcheck hacks would be everywhere. i dont think anyone would complain though.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Sep 30, 2011 12:00:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

So several things to address here. First and foremost, there seems to be a general lack of awareness of a basic concept. And that concept is.... an argument doesn't continue unless you choose to participate in it. An argument takes two different sides and at least two different people. If one side shuts up, then it's suddenly just people talking to themselves. Therefore, end of argument. Obviously, regardless of protestations of ?it's just a game?, it's gone far beyond that. Why is it obvious? Because there wouldn't be the on going need for defensive attacks and responses if it really was ?just a game?. If it was ?just a game?, then these continual cycles of defensive attacks and responses wouldn't go on for literally weeks. And if it was ?just a game?, maybe the argument could end by one side just simply shutting up.

Secondly, since the overwhelming majority of you on here are full fledged tax paying adults, I'm going to put this whole thing in a different perspective. So let's say you're going to a job interview. To impress your prospective employer, you say, ?I've written extensive treaties on the politics, ethics, and logistics of cading.? You see an attractive member of the correct gender at the bar. You walk up and say, ?Hey there. I'm the top naver in the ocean. Wanna come over to my place and watch me cade?? You see your beloved sitting across the room. They've been having a bad day. You say, ?Oh I'm sorry honey. I'll be with you in a bit. I just need to finish this round. Then we'll talk about your grandma or you or whatever it is. Sorry, didn't notice what you said.? Seriously, do you think it's impressive phrased that way, or is it all just a little bit sad?

Third, I will readily admit that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a massive personal issue with me and one where it is difficult for me to remain polite. Regardless of who we are, what we are, what gender we prefer, what religion, what disability, whether physical or psychological, how smart we are, any of a countless list of terms we both place upon ourselves and have others place upon us, we are judged according to the content of our actions. The vast majority of people on here neither know nor care about any given person's ?disability?. They care about one thing. They care about the content of your actions. A jerk is simply a jerk regardless of whether they're a medicated jerk or not (Or in a wheelchair. Or black. Or white. Or muslim. Or christian. Or gay. Or straight. Doesn't matter. Still just a jerk.)

OWN RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. Quit looking for excuses. You are adults. There's no magic unicorn standing in your room controlling every word that comes through your fingers nor every button you decide to click. No one's making you say things you don't want to. Dear god, if you aren't going to change your behavior, that's just fine. Everyone has the right to decide to behave how they want to. But at least be honest about it. At least admit that you're doing what you want to because YOU WANT TO, not because of some weak and lame excuse. Regardless of it's poor behavior on the forums or on the game, you're doing it because you want to. The end.

PS. That's coming from a bipolar and dyslexic. They're not excuses for me. They're reasons to fight harder. I didn't want people treating me like a bomb waiting to explode, so I worked hard to take control of my behavior. I didn't want people to think I was an idiot, so I worked hard to over come my learning disability. IT WAS MY CHOICE AND MY HARD WORK. NOT MY EXCUSE. So don't even bother to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I assure you, I do.

I am choosing to use an alt account to post this. No matter how comfortable I am with my state of life and state of mind, I know that others aren't. I feel no desire to deal with the potential cruelty of others.

Have you ever considered the possibility that some of these 'jerks' are just people having fun firing up pissants like you? I, as well as a few others I know, take grat delight in logging on occasionally to make people mad. Though mine is mostly limited to the brawl tables these days.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Sep 30, 2011 12:36:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ennazus13

Have you ever considered the possibility that some of these 'jerks' are just people having fun firing up pissants like you? I, as well as a few others I know, take grat delight in logging on occasionally to make people mad. Though mine is mostly limited to the brawl tables these days.

I should have taken more psych classes in college! There must be a psychological reason for this.
Ennazus
[Oct 1, 2011 6:28:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

tl;dr
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Oct 1, 2011 7:30:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
courtkid1012

tl;dr

that awkward moment when i was about to post that....
Chinchi on all oceans. (Viridian)
Ducha De Oro of Riddle Makers

Inspire others
^Click
[Oct 1, 2011 11:57:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates