• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9165 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
thisismactan

Let's Ditch Bow - Brought to You By the Twisted Parallax Alphabet Soup Company

This title was staring us in the face for days and only Scoobdoo was perceptive enough to see it. Thanks Scoob for the idea and the image! :D

So I was rifling through Skinny's naked pics of me the other day when I came to the horrifying realization that, in addition to Victoria's Secret no longer stocking bras with straps in my proportions, we have TOO MANY ISLANDS. D: Unfortunately Skinny logged off before I could question him further on the lack of appropriately-sized bras, as well as the nude photos of me in repose. However, we did have a contingency plan, which happens to be an event kade, should we need to lighten the load a little. That's actually a lie, we actually stole it from Polaris' event at Diastrophe on Cobalt from July 2008. However, because we're not thoroughly horrible, bland, and uncreative people, and because we like to think the "Twisted" actually means something, we've decided to tweak the event a bit.

When: Saturday, 1 October. (The exact time has yet to be decided.) We missed the window for scheduling weekend events. Totally our bad. We'll have a certain date and time once we've set it up. Friday, 30 September at 4 PM game time.

The event RULES!
It also has some points which you should totally follow.
    - Three rounds, non-sinking. No paycap.
    - In the first round you will be allowed 4 sloops on the board, the second, 2 dhows, and the third, 1 war brig. These ships will be the ONLY ones allowed on the board and will be monitored by the TP event Gestapo moderators; violation will result in disqualification for the prize. Ships do not count as "on the board" unless they have left the safe zone.
    - Winners will be decided by total points accrued over the three rounds; we will be keeping track of this but we recommend that you keep screenies of the scoreboard as well, for your own records.
In addition, we've put in opportunities for bonus points, to those flags who like getting into the spirit of events:
    - 5 points per ship per round to each ship staffed with the required number of alts with either the word "twist", "parallax", or something to that effect, in their names. Sloops need two of these alts, dhows need three, and brigs need seven.
    - 5 points per flag per round for entering a ship with some play on either the word "twisted" or "parallax", or something to that effect.
So, what about them prizes:
    - The first-place winner will receive a 250k purse.
    - The second-place winner will receive Bowditch Island via a transfer. As of the time of writing I am not at liberty to say whether the 250k purse or Bowditch is more valuable. Note that in order to receive this prize, you must be eligible in terms of flag fame (Renowned or higher) to receive a large island, which Bowditch happens to be. If your flag happens to not meet this qualification, we will simply move on to the eligible flag with the next-highest total score.
Good luck and have a Twisted day.
----------------------------------------
Narcky
"It's not so much that I'm an atheist so much as it is the sneaking suspicion that I myself may be God."

The legend of Twisted Parallax lives on.
[Edit 7 times, last edit by thisismactan at Sep 25, 2011 11:09:59 AM]
[Sep 22, 2011 9:19:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Re: Let's Ditch Bow - Brought to You By the Twisted Parallax Alphabet Soup Company

I don't find anything I can rule lawyer about here... whoever designed this event is a mad genius.

Wait, i found them. What happens if there is a tie? And when is the bonus awarded? Do the ships need to stay afloat/on the board, or can they just pop in?
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nooblar at Sep 23, 2011 8:09:00 AM]
[Sep 22, 2011 9:52:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Re: Let's Ditch Bow - Brought to You By the Twisted Parallax Alphabet Soup Company

So you can enter 4 sloops first round

and if you sink your 4 sloops, you can't enter any more?

Correct?
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Sep 23, 2011 4:45:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skinnymonkey

So you can enter 4 sloops first round

and if you sink your 4 sloops, you can't enter any more?

Correct?

Sorry, seems we were not clear on this matter. No, you can still enter ships throughout the round as long as you never break the stated limit.

However, the bonus points for alt name and ship name will only be valid for the first ships that enter the board at the start of the round.
Skinnymonkey
Twisted Parallax
Want to be my friend? :(
[Sep 23, 2011 8:46:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

I don't find anything I can rule lawyer about here... whoever designed this event is a mad genius.

Wait, i found them. What happens if there is a tie? And when is the bonus awarded? Do the ships need to stay afloat/on the board, or can they just pop in?

1) In the event of a tie, the two parties will engage in a 4v4 PvP. The winner of the PvP, verified by crew records, will win. If the tie is for first, the winner of the PvP can choose either prize. If the tie is for second place, then (of course) the winner gets the prize. If, by some crazy chance, more than two parties reach the same total points, we will hold a round robin 3v3 SF tournament.

2) TP staff will be tallying every flag's per round bonus points and adding them to the final total score. Individual round scores are somewhat irrelevant; the cumulative score determines the winner. While we are tallying each flag's bonus points, we encourage participants to keep their own running total as well.

3) Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm guessing you're asking if ships can be replaced? If you lose one of your allocated ships, you may replace it on the board. However, you cannot exceed the round's allowable ship limit. The "four ships" is not a total limit, but "on board" limit.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Sep 23, 2011 9:32:15 AM]
[Sep 23, 2011 9:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

How will you deal with ships that enter the wrong size for the round.

I am assuming that any flag that does so would be disqualified but some underhand pirates may staff a few dhows in an alt flag to take out the opposition (or a WB or 2 in R2). With the main prize being for 2nd it may not be obvious which of the top 2 flags are being underhand (or even either of them are).

I am guessing you are not doing it as 3 separate 1 round blockades ( a sloop only, a dhow only and a WB only) as these would need to have a 1 hour gap between them making the event rather stop / go.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Sep 23, 2011 11:47:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Of course, such an action would result in disqualification. We would also use our social contacts to try and figure out who would be involved in any alt-based malfeasance; we would then take requisite actions to the mains (war decs/blockades/etc). Also, we will have staff on standby to fill a ship and chase any ships out of class that are loading or that begin to act improperly.

It will be difficult (if not impossible) to identify flags, under mains, collaborating to avoid the ship limit. If we have solid evidence that flags are doing such, we will take necessary action. Really, though, it would be difficult to cheat for an advantage and retain second place.

Naturally, our greatest hope is for people to embrace the "don't be an asshole" attitude.
[Sep 23, 2011 1:12:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

Another question, if the island is dropped on (like it will probably be) the weekend of the transfer, will it be defended by TP or should the winner drop and attack in an actual kade?
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Sep 23, 2011 1:58:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

If Bowditch is attacked this weekend or next, we will defend. If it is attacked during the transfer period, we will supply a war chest, defense fleet and full support (jobbing +staff) if needed. However, the financial and logistical concerns are the winning flag's responsibilities. We feel that a flag holding a large island should have the ability to defend it; we would rather not award an island to a flag that would pull a noshow on their first defense. Also, if we announced intent to defend, a flag looking to pick off the winner would surely just postpone the attack a week, anyway.

Additionally, if the winning flag were to lose this transfer blockade, TP will reattack Bowditch and liberate it from ze goons.
[Sep 23, 2011 2:31:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Are we allowed, for example to have two full WB loaded, and enter as the other one non-sinks to avoid the delay from calling all hands?

Also, I may have missed it. But is there a paycap?
[Sep 24, 2011 10:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thisismactan

is there a paycap?

Nope. Theoretically you could raise it to 9999/seg and still be eligible for both prizes. I'm not sure what this says about your desire to win Bowditch; just make sure you don't accidentally win first place.

Are we allowed, for example to have two full WB loaded, and enter as the other one non-sinks to avoid the delay from calling all hands?

Again, if you can keep all of those jobbers on board, go for it. Just bear in mind throughout that 1st place = some poe and 2nd place = Bowditch.
Narcky
"It's not so much that I'm an atheist so much as it is the sneaking suspicion that I myself may be God."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by thisismactan at Sep 25, 2011 11:03:03 AM]
[Sep 25, 2011 10:34:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thisismactan

Thanks to everyone who participated! We had a great time putting numbers into spreadsheets and watching the spreadsheets spit out other numbers.

The final numbers the spreadsheets/my brain spit out were (for the top 3 spots):
    Black Flag - 594 (with 10 bonus points)
    Messing With Time - 594
    The End - 589 (with 5 bonus points)

(Honorable mentions go out to Critical Mass, Shadows of Sage, and Bagels and Beyond just for participating. Thanks for coming!)
Which means that 4 members each of Black Flag and Messing With Time will see each other in a sloop PvP. The winner will receive the prize of their choice (250k or Bowditch). Cheers :)

As a side note, we don't actually have aforementioned 4v4 planned out all too well yet, since we didn't expect the scores to be so close. There will be some points to note regarding this PvP as well though, so keep an eye out for it.
Narcky

[Sep 30, 2011 7:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
5thousand

Damn, missed it because the date was changed. Ah well, maybe next time or something.
Jeremiah of Obsidian

Fivethousand of Emerald and Meridian

[Sep 30, 2011 8:51:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Winklecat

[quote]Thanks to everyone who participated! We had a great time putting numbers into spreadsheets and watching the spreadsheets spit out other numbers.

The final numbers the spreadsheets/my brain spit out were (for the top 3 spots):
    Black Flag - 594 (with 10 bonus points)
    Messing With Time - 594
    The End - 589 (with 5 bonus points) [quote]

Congratulations to Messing with Time and Black Flag! Be good to Bowditch. Thank you to Twisted Parallax for hosting a great event blockade.

We would like to thank everyone who jobbed with us, from the carpers to the gunners. If only I was better with spreadsheets....because it certainly was not our navvers' and jobbers' faults that we fell just a wee bit short. You were all great.

Thank you as well to all the Bootleggers, and to everyone else who came out and and helped us today, both on the board and behind the scenes. We had a lot of fun, which is, after all, the point.

We look forward to seeing you on future nav boards because, this is not, The End
    :)
    Winklecat
    SO of The Bootleggers on Emerald
    Royal and occasional monarch of The End
[Sep 30, 2011 11:44:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Tiebreaker details:

- 4v4 sloop PvP
- Staff can be comprised of non-flaggies (who you know is an important component of blockading/politics, also)
- May occur whenever representatives from BF and MWT can set a working time; a TP representative does not need to be in attendance
- After battle is complete, post here (or send a royal a shout) so we can verify the crew records. Also, please include your prize preference.
- This is extremely hard to verify, but if we have beyond reasonable doubt that one party is deliberately avoiding the tiebreaker/refusing to meet at a mutually agreeable time, etc, then that party will be disqualified.
-If not completed by Tuesday (10/4), the island transfer is pushed back a week due to game rules. Thus, TP cedes any responsibility for fully defending outside the transfer period. We will still honor the initial pledge for non-material support for the weekend before the transfer, as explained in previous posts.
- If this battle is not completed by next Monday (10/10), we will award Bowditch to The End.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Oct 2, 2011 10:55:07 AM]
[Oct 2, 2011 10:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

Tiebreaker details:

- 4v4 sloop PvP
- Staff can be comprised of non-flaggies (who you know is an important component of blockading/politics, also)
- May occur whenever representatives from BF and MWT can set a working time; a TP representative does not need to be in attendance
- After battle is complete, post here (or send a royal a shout) so we can verify the crew records. Also, please include your prize preference.
- This is extremely hard to verify, but if we have beyond reasonable doubt that one party is deliberately avoiding the tiebreaker/refusing to meet at a mutually agreeable time, etc, then that party will be disqualified.
-If not completed by Tuesday (10/4), the island transfer is pushed back a week due to game rules. Thus, TP cedes any responsibility for fully defending outside the transfer period. We will still honor the initial pledge for non-material support for the weekend before the transfer, as explained in previous posts.
- If this battle is not completed by next Monday (10/10), we will award Bowditch to The End.

Black flag won the 4v4 max-max sf. Congrats to black flag they now have their choice of the prize.
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Oct 2, 2011 5:40:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Juleah

Tiebreaker details:

- 4v4 sloop PvP

Black flag won the 4v4 max-max sf. Congrats to black flag they now have their choice of the prize.

Thank you for a fun event and fun PvP :)
We would love to have Bowditch as our prize choice ^-^
Lacusclyne on Emerald
Laccy on Twitch TV and LoL NA
[Oct 2, 2011 5:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/Laccy_Love [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates