• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1972 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Gascony

Viking raids – gunnery strategy Reply to this Post

Experienced players have told me different things about VR gunning. One said never to abandon a board in a VR. Another said never to abandon a board without loading all four guns, because if you abandon early, none of the guns will fire.

According to a post by Beserker36 in this thread, “The cannons in Viking Raids fire the second you load them. That is, a cannonball flies from the village island to the longships. However, the in-puzzle cannons don't ‘fire’ (change from loaded to dirty) until all 4 are loaded on the screen.” On that view, if you get a board with an easy two-gun loop, you should load those two guns and then abandon, to see what the next board offers.

A related issue is how good a board has to be for you to play it. Because the VR is so short, you could lose a significant percentage of your time if you’re too picky and you refuse to play mediocre boards.

Any advice about gunning in VR’s would be welcomed.

If there’s disagreement about whether cannons fire when fewer than four are loaded, we could try a VR in which none of the pirates ever loads the fourth cannon. If the Vikings take some damage, then Beserker36 is right.
[Sep 22, 2011 8:51:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artof_Murder

Re: Viking raids ? gunnery strategy Reply to this Post

Solo a VR and see for yourself - he is accurate. Since I'm not good at looping around the barrel and freeboarding, my usual strategy is to use the two-gun loops to get two very quick fills and then hop off until a 4-gun loop presents itself, sometimes 1-arrow sometimes 0. Obviously it is up to you, but gunning style should be similar or the same to gunning in battle for anything: the more you load, the more you shoot, the more damage you deal to your opponent.
----------------------------------------
Gamebug(IO) of Emerald.
Captain, SO, FO and CP of The Conglomerate.

Castor tells ye, "I'd go get some sleep!"
"Yay for unexpected gifts in yer booty!" -Hera
[Sep 22, 2011 11:57:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

I'd love to follow your suggestion of testing this myself, but I've been here only a month. I don't know how to do a solo VR and I'd presumably need a ship.

My understanding is that OOO doesn't release detailed game information. The players are left to reverse-engineer various features. How confident are you of this conclusion about VR gunning? Has someone tested it, or is it just a general impression among experience players?
[Sep 23, 2011 9:21:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artof_Murder

I'd love to follow your suggestion of testing this myself, but I've been here only a month. I don't know how to do a solo VR and I'd presumably need a ship.

My understanding is that OOO doesn't release detailed game information. The players are left to reverse-engineer various features. How confident are you of this conclusion about VR gunning? Has someone tested it, or is it just a general impression among experience players?

From experience soloing VRs, as well as an unreasonably long track record of doing these expeditions.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt from my own testing that...
You spend 5 minutes gunning for a VR regardless of raid size.
Your gun fires on the Longship the moment the cannon reads "Loaded!"
Small VRs can be soloed easily given you have a ship and gun at a renowned/GM level.

I'm not sure of the consensus of other players, but from my own vast experience I've found the above statements to be true.
Gamebug(IO) of Emerald.
Captain, SO, FO and CP of The Conglomerate.

Castor tells ye, "I'd go get some sleep!"
"Yay for unexpected gifts in yer booty!" -Hera
[Sep 24, 2011 4:30:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gascony

Thanks for your responses!

As a generalization, I agree that gunning style would be similar in all circumstances. Your information suggests, though, that there would be one difference. If a VR lasts only five minutes, then wouldn't it make sense to play some mediocre boards? If you're on a pillage, you have more time to hop on and hop off boards, looking for a good one.
[Sep 24, 2011 1:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitchie101

I have run several Vikings as well as solo'ing several. When I do solo VR's, I tend to gun for the full 5 minutes on the first board I get, unless it's a horrendous board. That works for me, but you would basically have to compare the time you take for filling 4 cannons on a mediocre board with the time of spending 2x2 on different boards including the time spent on getting off and on the station again.
Mitch on Obsidian.
Mitchiie on Meridian and Emerald.
[Sep 24, 2011 2:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Artof_Murder wrote: 
my usual strategy is to use the two-gun loops to get two very quick fills and then hop off until a 4-gun loop presents itself, sometimes 1-arrow sometimes 0.

This here is what I do. Note that it's not really a struggle to max the longship - that's why we never figured out the Longship Vanquisher trigger - so it's not like your crew would suffer from you doing a bit of board-hopping.
[Sep 25, 2011 12:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates