• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2018
Posts: 2018   Pages: 68   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 148535 times and has 2017 replies Next Thread
Furare

ROMS 13.33: ROMS of Cthulhu [GAME OVER] Reply to this Post

The tale of the crew of the Chariot of Cod continues...

A few hours after the division of the books, Furare picked her way across the encampment towards the captain's tent. It was their custom aboard ship to take a glass of whiskey together before retiring, and the first mate was too civilized a woman to change her habits simply because her circumstances had undergone so radical a change.

Leif was apparently unsurprised by her appearance. He opened his small suitcase and extracted the bottle of Scotch. "You don't mind drinking it neat?" he asked as he slid a glass across the small table towards her. Furare just shrugged and took a sip. It was perhaps a little warm, but she made no complaint. She was in a strange land indeed, and she was of no mind to criticize anything that offered her some of the comfort of familiarity.

"Have you read any of the books yet?" she asked, after a moment. "I had a look at some of the notes made by the missing researchers, but there was little sense to be found in them. It's as if they'd gone mad, by the end." She shivered a little despite the mildness of the evening.

"I'd come to that conclusion myself," said Leif, grimly. He tapped the cover of a book that sat near his left hand. "Talk of the dead not resting easy..." He tailed off, looking and sounding at least to some degree disturbed by what he had seen and read. "I don't believe it," he added, but there was no real conviction in his voice.

Furare intoned, "Nothing is dead, that can eternal lie." And then she started, as if shocked by the words coming out of her own mouth. "No! The dead are gone. The people here were crazy! Nothing more than that." Leif stared at her. Perhaps he thought that his mate was beginning to go mad herself. He opened his mouth to make some reply, but a terrible scream cut him off before a word could pass his lips.

The captain and the first mate looked at each other for a stunned few seconds, and then they both moved at the same time, knocking their chairs clattering to the floor. They might have been considered insane by some, for they moved towards the scream, not away. Leif had his sword drawn, and Furare held a gun in a way that suggested she knew well how to use it - but what would weapons avail them if the sleeping horrors had awoken?

Nothing stirred as they made their incautious way through the night. There were no small night creatures to make a sound, and no crewmates were abroad - or none that wished to be seen. It felt unnervingly as if they were the only living beings left in the world. So it was hardly comforting when Furare caught her foot on a hard object, and turned her flashlight on it to find that it was the narcoleptic ship's surgeon, Hypnos.

He wasn't asleep. He was dead.

Furare crossed herself, a gesture that both startled Leif and yet looked strangely natural. Then she knelt next to the body, and after a few seconds let out a curse. "Banned!" she cried, her voice shaking a little. "The rogues are here, even here. Someone around here has bansticks, but-" She stopped speaking abruptly and closed her eyes. In a very small voice, she said, "We have bansticks. Leif, we have trusted someone we should not."

Resolutely, she left the dead officer and went down to the landing-place. With her captain at her side, she sailed the little skiff expertly back to the ship. When they boarded, they knew quite well what they must find, but even so the discovery was unpleasant. The hold was empty. The bansticks were gone.

ROMS 13.33: ROMS of Cthulhu

GENERAL RULESET

Moderation:

- This game is brought to you by Talisker (Leif) and Furare (Dracina), henceforth referred to as "the moderators".
- The moderators reserve the right to include thematic fluff from time to time for the sake of atmosphere. Don't look at it too closely.
- Questions on rules, deadlines or any other matter that the moderators can settle may be posted in the game thread. Green text is preferred but not mandatory.
- If you have any questions about the game that you would prefer to be answered privately, feel free to send a PM to both moderators. One of us will respond as soon as possible.

Deadlines:

- "Day" refers to the lynching period, when the thread is open for posting and voting.
- "Night" refers to the banning period. The thread is still open but no one may vote.
- The rogues may communicate at any time, Day or Night, using a private forum, Google document, Skype, forum PMs or any other method of their choosing.
- The Day will last for 60 hours. The Night will last for 24 hours.
- All deadlines will be either 4:30am or 4:30pm game time (PST).
- For AM deadlines please note that these may occur slightly later or earlier than scheduled, and that role PM responses may be delayed.
- Barring exceptional circumstances, lynches reveal status, while bans conceal it.

Voting:

- Votes should be formatted in red and bold, like so: Vote: Furare. Votes not following this format will not be counted. Small errors in spelling will be allowed as long as the voter's intention is still obvious.
- At any point until the deadline, you may retract your vote - Unvote: Furare - at which point you may cast another vote. Note that if you do not unvote before revoting, the original vote will still be counted.
- A lynch will occur if at the deadline: (a) 75% of the living players have voted and one candidate has more votes than any other; or (b) 50% of the living players have voted for the same candidate.
- If neither of the above conditions are fulfilled, then the Day will end without a lynch.
- You can vote to Abstain in the same way as you would vote for a player (Vote: Abstain). Abstain votes are in favour of actively giving up the lynch and work in the same manner as a vote for a player. If Abstain is the vote leader, there will be no lynch for that Day.

Communication:

- Communication relevant to the game is not allowed between players, with the exception of the rogues, who may only talk to other members of their group.
- Dead players and non-participants may apply for access to the ROMS 13.33 Dead Thread, where they can discuss the game freely. Dead players may not disclose any information from the Dead Thread to live players.

Inactivity and Proxies:

- ROMS is a time commitment. Consider whether you have time to play before you sign up. You should aim to make at least one post every two days (real time).
- Any player who does not post for 84 hours will be removed unless they have an active, valid proxy.
- A proxy enables another player of your choice to cast your vote for you. These may be left for a maximum period of 84 hours.
- You may specify up to 3 players who are eligible to accept your proxy. If more than one person is specified, you may state an order of preference. If you do not, the default is that any of the listed players may accept the proxy.
- No one may hold more than one proxy. Once you pick up a proxy you become ineligible to hold any other.
- Proxies MUST include an expiration date. This may be either a real date (in which case the proxy will expire at 11:59pm Pirate Time on the named day) or "until the end of the Day".
- Proxy votes follow a similar format to votes - Proxy Vote for Talisker: Furare - and may be similarly unvoted - Proxy Unvote for Talisker: Furare.
- After a proxy has expired, the player who left it must post within 24 hours or be ruled inactive and removed. This does not apply if the player's last post was fewer than 84 hours previous.
- Inactivity removals will hopefully be replaced from the pool of backup players. If there are none available, inactives will be removed, alternating between a mod-lynch (status revealed) and a mod-ban (status concealed). Such removals do NOT replace standard lynches or bans.
- The moderators reserve the right to remove any player they feel is manipulating or exploiting the inactivity rules, regardless of their status in the game.
- If at any point you need to resign from the game, please send a PM to both moderators.

SPECIFIC RULESET

Roles and Powers:

- This is a role-heavy game, with a few kinks and twists.
- Innocents may have "roles". All roles have an Insanity cost (see Insanity, below) - the more powerful the role, the higher the cost.
- The rogue team will have collective "powers". These also have a Insanity cost proportional to their utility.
- If you do not have a role, you may still choose to search for clues. There is a good chance that you will find nothing, but you may find a small clue that will aid the town. There is a minor Insanity cost associated with successful finds.

Insanity:

The forces at work behind this game are unfathomable and damaging to human mental health. Many people have been reduced to gibbering wrecks or even died from being exposed to such things. You enter this game at your peril.

- Insanity, in all cases, begins at 0. This means you are entirely sane and in no danger of experiencing any ill effects.
- All roles have an associated Insanity cost.
- All rogue powers have an Insanity cost, shared out among the members of the team. As such, although killing a rogue will not remove any powers from play, it will make the use of the powers more risky.
- When a player's Insanity reaches 15, they will become "unreliable" in their role results. This gives them a 50% chance of obtaining no results from their role, owing to hallucinations. It will be made quite clear to the individual when this happens.
- When a player's Insanity reaches 20, they will become "incapacitated" and be incapable of further use of their role, or of the exploration mechanic should they be roleless.
- If a player's Insanity somehow reaches 30, they will die.
- On any given night, a player may meditate quietly to ascertain their Insanity level. This action does not add any Insanity, but prevents any other actions being taken for the night.

Elder Evils:

The summoning of an Elder Evil is a secondary goal of the rogue team (their primary goal, naturally, being the eradication of the town). If certain conditions, related to the operation of certain rogue team powers, are met, the rogues will be capable of summoning an Elder Evil to the town. What exactly will happen as a result is unpredictable, but it is certain that the results will be far from pleasant for the town.

Only one summoning may occur during the game.

Game Over:

There are two possible endings to the game:
- Town victory: All of the rogues have been removed from the game.
- Rogue victory: The rogue team makes up 50% of the remaining players and nothing exists in the game that can alter this position.

Behaviour:

- While this game is loosely based on the writings of HP Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, knowledge of these is not required to play. Feel free to roleplay if you'd like.
- Remember that this is a game - don't take it personally, and don't make it personal, either. Attack the points, not the player.
- No player may post either screenshots or direct quotes of a moderator PM (or anything purporting to be such) for any reason whatsoever. Anyone disregarding this rule will be modlynched. You have been warned.
- Please don't bring up RL connections between players as part of an argument.
- Have fun, that's the whole point!

Player List:
master2482
Batistas8 PhoenyxStar
Cthonik_Enzo
riku743
Searmin
Prosperity
Demonboyred
Quitex
Katebarloww
tilinka Elliptic
Jolyma
Erissar bethieboo
wrecker15
Hazarath
BehindCurtai
Cnuofesd satin11
DementedDuck
TheRack
Yog_Sothoth
rissarissa13
ghadhean
Kotetsu534
Snipercam
SeastarX
marinated
Luvessy
Lotsofgoats

Game Over, Town Wins!
----------------------------------------
Amonet on Obsidian. Dracina everywhere else.

Now only mostly retired.

[Edit 19 times, last edit by Furare at Oct 19, 2011 4:41:49 PM]
[Sep 19, 2011 6:38:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Re: ROMS 13.33: ROMS of Cthulhu [GAME ON] Reply to this Post

First! (If somebody sniped me, I'm voting for them)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Sep 19, 2011 6:38:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Winnorz!

Next player to post gets my vote instead :P

Period. End of story.

[Sep 19, 2011 6:39:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Batistas8

second!!!! wait... damn im voted now :P
Stonecold of viridian and malachite

Galene says: Am I the only one who realizes that the ENTIRE POINT of this game, and the only way to WIN, is to stand there spinning around in circles? You guys fail THE GAME

Nemesis says: You guys suck.
[Sep 19, 2011 6:43:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Vote:Batistas8

Period. End of story.

[Sep 19, 2011 6:44:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Well now, it appears at least one of you has been in the loco weed already.
Jolyma

[Sep 19, 2011 6:54:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prosperity

Therack is clearly a rogue attempting to start a bandwagon on an unsuspecting innocent as early as possible.

Or a rogue who told a fellow rogue to post right after him to start a bandwagon on another rogue to gain early credibility.
Obsidian: Inglorious Basterds, Guerrilla Warfare
CFO, Nonsensical Nudity Inc.
[Sep 19, 2011 7:04:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrecker15

Ohai.

Just checking in, the amount of work tonight is insane, and I have a strange suspicion that I'm falling sick for the third time in two weeks. This might have something to do with the fact that I'm feeling floaty and dizzy >.>
- Neverhall
- SO and gunner of purple sirenes
- Princess of hugglebees
- Midnight

-Avvie by DarkFaery
[Sep 19, 2011 7:06:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

Bwahahaha. Somebody is stealing the internet from school. Won't tell you who,though...

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[Sep 19, 2011 7:08:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

wrecker15 wrote: 
the amount of work tonight is insane

Cthulhu strikes again!
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Sep 19, 2011 7:14:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Not to mention the floaty and dizzy.
Jolyma

[Sep 19, 2011 7:21:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Batistas8

So did they ever fix the problem with the forums? just wondering if they finally fixed it or if it might go down again (hopefully not).

Galene says: Am I the only one who realizes that the ENTIRE POINT of this game, and the only way to WIN, is to stand there spinning around in circles? You guys fail THE GAME

[Sep 19, 2011 7:22:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

If it's down for a protracted time, please check the Dead Thread. Furare and I will try and post any announcements or whatnot there as we're able. To be perfectly clear, this is in the case of a tech issue only. Otherwise we'll communicate in thread as normal.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Talisker at Sep 19, 2011 7:31:21 AM]
[Sep 19, 2011 7:30:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

I'm going to go ahead and
Vote:Abstain
As I'm sure most of you know, I am much in favor of a first round abstain, as there is almost no way a rogue shall be caught from first day actions alone.

The people about there, had they been awake instead of asleep, at other times would have seen even stranger things. Some day, but not at this time, I shall make an announcement of something that I never once dreamed of.

[Sep 19, 2011 7:37:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrecker15

Searmin wrote: 
Cthulhu strikes again!

Joly wrote: 
Not to mention the floaty and dizzy.

Amg I r going crazee

Wait, I thought I was already crazy.

I know, I know. I r slacker.

In other news, that's an early vote. Even if it is for abstain. Admittedly, I hate the first round abstain discussions, because it seems to happen every game, with no results whatsoever because the discussion doesn't actually change anyone's mind. There's just not much *else* to start with, unless Furare's playing and decides to lob a 3000 word post into the thread. So I guess it's going to have to continue.

Still against abstaining first round, although this is more flexible during role games due to the presence of roles.
- Neverhall
- SO and gunner of purple sirenes
- Princess of hugglebees
- Midnight

-Avvie by DarkFaery
[Sep 19, 2011 7:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
master2482

I'm about to leave this class, so I'll be off until school is out, but I don't see the point in waiting a few hours to do something I know that I shall do anyways.
However, the first page is never for serious votes.

[Sep 19, 2011 7:43:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rissarissa13

Just checking in atm on lunch, but be back later :)
Riss -Sweet Surrender -Princess of Imperial Coalition - Meridian

But, even when our hopes give way to reality and we finally have to surrender to the truth, it just means we've lost today battle. Not tomorrows war. - Grey's Anatomy

[Sep 19, 2011 8:23:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prosperity

I'm more inclined to vote Abstain in round 1 of role games just because it is, in my opinion, unlikely to catch a rogue that way. And we have roles that have the chance of acquiring reliable information, so we do have a chance to gain something even if we abstain.
Obsidian: Inglorious Basterds, Guerrilla Warfare
CFO, Nonsensical Nudity Inc.
[Sep 19, 2011 8:39:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

Hello, I come in peace and for enlightenment.

Bastista, you seem to speak out both sides of your mouth, claiming you vote as you wish and that an early vote is in jest. It seems to want to placate all, but not to offer true insight.

Rack, you seen already infested with insanity. Are you in control of your own mind?

Wrecker, I am feeling just as you are. Rest and peace.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Sep 19, 2011 8:41:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Batistas8

Bastista, you seem to speak out both sides of your mouth, claiming you vote as you wish and that an early vote is in jest. It seems to want to placate all, but not to offer true insight.

Just curious about where i said i vote as i wish and anything about an early vote (besides therack's post above mine which i took as a joke more than anything seeing as it was the first post)

[Sep 19, 2011 8:46:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

One who is prosperous wrote: 
I'm more inclined to vote Abstain in round 1 of role games just because it is, in my opinion, unlikely to catch a rogue that way.

Already your tongue seems tied!
Yes, we are unable to catch a rogue if we choose to not try.
Or, were you meaning something else?
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Sep 19, 2011 8:47:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

You are correct, Batista.

My comments should have been directed at Master, who voted abstain.

A small viewing window for replies has confused me, surely. I cannot see posts as I create my replies.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Sep 19, 2011 8:50:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Batistas8

You are correct, Batista.

My comments should have been directed at Master, who voted abstain.

A small viewing window for replies has confused me, surely. I cannot see posts as I create my replies.

Its alright just wanted to clear it up. anyways guys im off to sleep since i havent been to bed yet since work (work nights). Ill come back later to post after i have gotten some sleep.

[Sep 19, 2011 8:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

I'm hereeeee. Forums are blocked in college (that includes on my phone since there's no way in hell I'll be able to afford my data bill if I use mobile network to read ROMs all day :P) so expect either frequent small posts or infrequent large ones. I'm betting on the latter because I never shut up..

Yeah, I'm here.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 19, 2011 8:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marinated

Well, in the last game the first person to post was a rogue so

Vote: TheRack

And is Luvessy already affected by the insanity? Seeing Master and Batistas as the same person? Or is it a premonition of an evil link between the two?

Sleepyjo - on all oceans
[Sep 19, 2011 9:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

one who is misty wrote: 
One who is prosperous wrote: 
I'm more inclined to vote Abstain in round 1 of role games just because it is, in my opinion, unlikely to catch a rogue that way.

Already your tongue seems tied!
Yes, we are unable to catch a rogue if we choose to not try.
Or, were you meaning something else?

I saw that too. I've been pondering her meaning.

I'm so tempted to make a wild conspiracy theory in regards to you being a 'misty' mate, but, I will refrain. I do not want to give into madness as of yet.

Now, I'm going to go rustle up some grub.
Jolyma

[Sep 19, 2011 9:23:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

Reviews for MistyMate indicate:

It is a great product, it was just not available when you need it.

Foreshadowing?

Find more MistyMate credentials here!

Marinated, affected or effected?
No, I honestly never am sure which is appropriate in that usage.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Sep 19, 2011 9:33:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I far prefer this review:

Great product idea that needs some kinks worked out

Heehee
Jolyma

[Sep 19, 2011 9:48:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Master squirtle wrote: 
I'm going to go ahead and
Vote:Abstain
As I'm sure most of you know, I am much in favor of a first round abstain, as there is almost no way a rogue shall be caught from first day actions alone.

I would say that in this game, we probably should forget anything that we thought we knew about ROMS.

I mean...it's foggy and creepy and maddening out there. I would be willing to bet that anything could happen!
Jolyma

[Sep 19, 2011 9:51:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Katebarloww

Jolyma wrote: 
I would say that in this game, we probably should forget anything that we thought we knew about ROMS.

Good thing I don't know anything!
But hi, I'm here :D
Not / Maliya. Mostly Emerald.
[Sep 19, 2011 10:08:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 2018   Pages: 68   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates