• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 185
Posts: 185   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21671 times and has 184 replies Next Thread
Sevenlyrcake

Re: Regarding the Spawning of the New Greenie Influx Reply to this Post

7layers, lurk moar, post less, and properly learn what "trololo" means.

Oh, yah, totes, will get rite on dat!
----------------------------------------
Sevenlayers on the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer, Midnight Reavers

[Sep 3, 2011 1:10:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Fair enough point, but I naturally tend to think of the early game in the way that I saw it (MIND PROJECTION FALLACY, which is an awesome term). I was lucky enough to land with experienced players in a 20-30 player crew pretty quickly, and moved into learning the game that way. With the way the numbers currently stack up, that's not really possible.

You're throwing a ton of new players on the ocean and saying, "Find your own fun! :D" That doesn't work when most of the people around you haven't figured out how to have fun either.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Sep 3, 2011 1:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

You're throwing a ton of new players on the ocean and saying, "Find your own fun! :D" That doesn't work when most of the people around you haven't figured out how to have fun either.

I joined in the very earliest days of open beta (on Azure) and the ratio back then was far greater.

The game is fun, and if it weren't for not wanting to be addicted to it, I'd be playing right now. Oh wait, I'd better log off Midnight :)
[Sep 3, 2011 1:23:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Joining an alpha or beta is much different than breaking into an established playerbase. With the former, you're specifically there to test out a new product. With the latter, your goals are significantly different. Gaming is very achievement-based nowadays, much more so than even just a few years ago.

Many people, particularly those who stay with the same game for a long time, tend to think along the lines of, "How can I get up to speed?" If the obstacles are too great (e.g. it's too hard to learn how to play), the game gets dropped and replaced by one of the many available alternatives.
[Sep 3, 2011 1:29:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

SUP MALA.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Sep 3, 2011 2:58:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nectarinez

SUP MALA.

yeah they were all on a smh with 2 greenies on it.
Nectarinez, hitting it and quitting it on hunter since 1999
--
Dwizzles tells ye, "everytime you post on the forums a little part of me dies inside"
--
hilarious avatar by controversy <3
[Sep 3, 2011 3:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    who uses aol? [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

SUP MALA.

When was that taken? Cause Hairytickle was just finishing up a WF pilly that was no longer on the NB, because the game spawned a BK, and instead of the BK gave us El Pollo Diablo, and if you look currently, you will see a xebec pillage. So Dwizz, maybe do a normal /w and check vessels too?
Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Sep 3, 2011 3:23:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Demonboyred

SUP MALA.

When was that taken? Cause Hairytickle was just finishing up a WF pilly that was no longer on the NB, because the game spawned a BK, and instead of the BK gave us El Pollo Diablo, and if you look currently, you will see a xebec pillage. So Dwizz, maybe do a normal /w and check vessels too?

A Xebec pillage, and a certain flag doing a Briglantis that really won't help the greenies. Ah well. Not everyone seems to be in the mindset of keeping the greenies there on Mala.

Sup Unca?
Bunnyspawn, Malachite's most arrogant player.

Also Bunnyspawn on Sage and Hunter;Disgraced on Viridian.

I support PvP in sinking environments.
[Sep 3, 2011 3:34:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

The lack of common sense displayed by the failure to actually look where the players are makes me queasy.
Emmett
[Sep 3, 2011 3:36:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Would it be a lack of common sense for a new player to not know the /w command?

You guys really aren't good at this. Like I said, make your ocean more appealing and people won't give it up for another. By the way, how many of you actually started on Malachite and actually stayed there?
[Sep 3, 2011 4:08:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Would it be a lack of common sense for a new player to not know the /w command?

You guys really aren't good at this. Like I said, make your ocean more appealing and people won't give it up for another. By the way, how many of you actually started on Malachite and actually stayed there?

We are talking about Dwizzles not using /w. He's not a new player, just ignorant.
Ions

[Sep 3, 2011 4:22:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Dwizzles, however, is talking about new players.

Seriously, guys, this isn't very complex.
[Sep 3, 2011 4:24:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Dwizzles, however, is talking about new players.

Seriously, guys, this isn't very complex.

But we are talking about the fact that Dwizzles shows a /gw and the NB on Mala, but doesn't show a /w, not showing if there are ships out, cause at the time, we had a war frig filled.

Come on Goats, seriously, this isn't very complex...
Ions

[Sep 3, 2011 4:32:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

Next time I'll take a screenie on a green alt to help you guys out. If I hop on Mala as a new player and see that I'm gone.

Briglantis doesn't help new players and you can't really argue that it does unless you are helping them buy badges and jobbing everybody.

I like the people I've met on and from Mala and it's a great, tight knit community, but spawning greenies there is a waste. I think OOO has made their feelings about Mala pretty clear anyway in the last few months.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Sep 3, 2011 4:32:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Next time I'll take a screenie on a green alt to help you guys out. If I hop on Mala as a new player and see that I'm gone.

Briglantis doesn't help new players and you can't really argue that it does unless you are helping them buy badges and jobbing everybody.

I like the people I've met on and from Mala and it's a great, tight knit community, but spawning greenies there is a waste. I think OOO has made their feelings about Mala pretty clear anyway in the last few months.

Sorry, I don't seem to understand what you hopping on a green pirate does, not sure the reading comprehension is there. I'm saying you're not showing the other voyages, we had a WF pilly going and within 15 minutes of that porting, due to a bug, we had a xebec pilly going, which just ported.
Ions

[Sep 3, 2011 5:08:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

The entire issue of Greenies and greeters/ship officers is like an analogy about sheep herding. In this case, greenies are sheep and shepherds are Greeters and ship captains. Wolves are disinterest in the game

The ratio of sheep to shepherds should always be high, of course. But not to so much that sheep run around without anybody to protect them from wolves.
[Sep 3, 2011 5:24:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

The point Dwiz was trying to make was that if a true greenie had of logged on to Malachite at the time that Dwiz logged on, there was nothing on the notice board that they could job on. They're not going to know the /w function in order to see what ships were out at the same time or know what had just ported. They see the notice board looking empty.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Sep 3, 2011 5:28:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

Everyone in this thread is already well aware that their personal play style is the only play style, and the things they did as a greenie are the things every greenie should be doing as a greenie. Can we please all cut past this whole 'best for greenies' facade and just attack each others play styles directly?

Also, goats, your carpentry system is dumb, I really hope you're not ruining the game by trying to teach greenies how to puzzle.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 3, 2011 5:47:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

So apparently you don't care that Greenies will get bored just sitting around at the docks waiting for something interesting to happen before leaving?
[Sep 3, 2011 6:11:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I think the more important question is why do you hate docktarting? The social aspect is the very fabric of this game, and you're ruining it! You're consciously forcing the steamies into the least interesting part of the game just to sabotage our ocean!

You are a bad person and I hate whatever ocean you are from >:(
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 3, 2011 6:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

I think OOO has made their feelings about Mala pretty clear anyway in the last few months.

... huh?
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Sep 3, 2011 6:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I can appreciate the OPs concern and, to some extent, effort but the greeter trolling was done in poor form. It's not for us to decide how greenies are apportioned among the oceans. It would have been better suited to bring the issue to the forums instead of taking it into your hands.

I think I saw someone mention that the oceans should receive proportional greenie spawns and it depends on which way you look at it. Should lower-population oceans receive higher proportions of the greenie spawn to encourage their growth to catch up with the other oceans. Conversely, should higher-population oceans receive the higher proportions because they can better absorb them?

Perhaps green players should also receive a notification in the Ahoy! tab that provides current player numbers on each ocean along with a shortcut or instructions to logging on the ocean of their choice. It would at least allow them to make a slightly informed decision as to where they will start.
[removed by SOPA]
[Sep 3, 2011 6:54:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

I think the more important question is why do you hate docktarting? The social aspect is the very fabric of this game, and you're ruining it! You're consciously forcing the steamies into the least interesting part of the game just to sabotage our ocean!

You are a bad person and I hate whatever ocean you are from >:(

Who me?

Social aspect? How is there a Social Aspect on an ocean where barely anyone exists? I play on Viridian, and I'm far from a Viridian lover. The Ocean's size does get annoying, but I have all my stuff and everything I've worked for here.
[Sep 3, 2011 7:06:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elliptic

I am frightened that the entity behind the posting account "Nooblar" planned this.
"That is not how the question frames itself."

Wend, royal archophobe
[Sep 3, 2011 7:58:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

As long as people are finding things to do, it shouldn't make a huge difference where they start. If they aren't, it's a huge waste of opportunity. The only way to tell in this case is to look at player retention a month down the line. And that means whether new Malachite players are still playing the game, not whether the ocean has lost players to other oceans.

There were some good ideas a while back about ways to ensure new players encounter enough existing players to have a good initial experience with the game. I agree the game should make ocean activity levels obvious to a new player so that they at least know there are alternatives if they can't find things to do.
On hiatus. :(
[Sep 3, 2011 7:58:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Perhaps green players should also receive a notification in the Ahoy! tab that provides current player numbers on each ocean along with a shortcut or instructions to logging on the ocean of their choice. It would at least allow them to make a slightly informed decision as to where they will start.

Awesome! And when 95% of greenies make their way over to Viridian, what happens to the other oceans when nobody is replacing those disappearing through natural attrition?
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Sep 3, 2011 9:55:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
awright

Awesome! And when 95% of greenies make their way over to Viridian, what happens to the other oceans when nobody is replacing those disappearing through natural attrition?

I'm not sure what ooo's hardware is capable of but im assuming the viridian server would eventually crash. Also, imagine the chaos of 600+ aditional greenies trying to apply for pillages on the NB, along with greater strain on the OM's
-barcium

Original Huntard
[Sep 3, 2011 10:15:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

To be fair, when I start a game that has multiple servers, I try to find the server with the least people and/or the newest server. I'd see this idea hurting Sage and hunter more than it would hurt malachite.

As for server load, it doesn't crash, it just starts making you wait in line to log on. And the OM squad could just put two dedicated viridian OMs online, or do it with only one OM, which they used to do when average numbers were in the 1k range.
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 4, 2011 2:50:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanila0

I just think that the number of greeters cant keep up with the number of geenies on mala
Vanila of Viridian.
[Sep 4, 2011 3:10:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

The point Dwiz was trying to make was that if a true greenie had of logged on to Malachite at the time that Dwiz logged on, there was nothing on the notice board that they could job on. They're not going to know the /w function in order to see what ships were out at the same time or know what had just ported. They see the notice board looking empty.

This is true but it is not that common, and hopefully as officers see there are actually enough new pirates around at all times, it will be eliminated completely.

I don't get the Malachite targeting, though. Right now: Mala, 3 pillages on the board. Midnight, 0 (vikings don't count). Cobalt, 0. Opal, 0. Jade, 0. Even the 'big oceans', Hunter has 6, and Sage 4. (Viridian has a 600 poe blockade so perhaps it is not fair to compare its 3 and a flotilla.)

Yes, Malachite could use more players. Which is why there absolutely should be greenie spawn there. There are four other oceans which should be killed off before Malachite, and that is what cutting the greenie spawn will do to an ocean.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Sep 4, 2011 4:32:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 185   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates