• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 185
Posts: 185   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21674 times and has 184 replies Next Thread
Snowpixie

Re: Regarding the Spawning of the New Greenie Influx Reply to this Post

I just think that the number of greeters cant keep up with the number of geenies on mala

Is that speculation? From my limited perspective this week, greeters don't seem to be getting overwhelmed.

quality over quantity, maybe ;)

Regarding the OP... these players are already gamers. I'm sure the majority already know about different servers and that each one might provide different experiences and this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. If the puzzles draw them in they'll hop around til they find a place they like. The best thing I think we can do is make them feel welcome - whatever ocean you're on.

On a side note, it would be nice if this resulted in a little more jobbing cooperation on all oceans with the "I have to drive"-ers helping each other out so certain voyage types LOAD a little faster before the next one starts jobbing, but that's probably too much wishful thinking.
----------------------------------------
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Sep 4, 2011 4:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PedroelPato

@Bobjanova

Just so you know, atleast on Cobalt there were several pillages out... just because they're in battle for 3 mins doesn't mean they don't exist, plus this is the quietest time of day there.
Pedroelpato - Cobalt Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PedroelPato at Sep 4, 2011 4:52:59 AM]
[Sep 4, 2011 4:47:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nooblar

I just think that the number of greeters cant keep up with the number of geenies on mala

Okay. Pretty clearly my sarcasm is going right over peoples heads, which is sickening because its literally dripping off of my posts. However, in an effort to make some headway, i'll try another approach.

Why are you saying there are not enough greeters? What are greeters specifically 'keeping up with' ? Can you prove, with evidence, that greeters on any given ocean are not doing those things? Can you prove that greeters on any other ocean are? Can you provide solid logic as to why these things greeters are/aren't doing right, are actually vital to the greenies having a good time?

Note, if you say "run botes lol!" I'm going to call you an idiot, tell you my play style is better than yours, and maybe highlight the difference between 'running a boat' and 'teaching greenies how voyages work, via the greeter pillage system'. The later being something a large horde of greeters isn't necessarily better at, than a handful of people who are dedicated enough to, say, play on Malachite. inb4 someone says "runbotes lol!"

Right now your logic simply breaks down to "Them spawning there is bad because I think it is bad" which may be a trendy thing to say, but it doesn't have much logic behind it.
Nooblar and/or Nerdbeard on Sage/Emerald
Cartrunner wrote: 

<3
Dear forum alt: since you inquired, no, I do not endorse ban evasion.

Tilinkatar!
[Sep 4, 2011 4:47:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

@Bobjanova

Just so you know, atleast on Cobalt there were several pillages out... just because they're in battle for 3 mins doesn't mean they don't exist, plus this is the quietest time of day there.

True, but it's important that a greenie see something jobbing on the board no matter when they look (i.e. that there are enough active voyages that there's one to job on no matter when they apply). They're not going to know to look back in three minutes.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 4, 2011 11:45:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

@Bobjanova

The same was true on Mala and I'm sure the other oceans too.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Sep 4, 2011 11:53:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

@Bobjanova

True, but it's important that a greenie see something jobbing on the board no matter when they look (i.e. that there are enough active voyages that there's one to job on no matter when they apply). They're not going to know to look back in three minutes.

For those that missed the point of my screenie, bolded for emphasis.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Sep 4, 2011 1:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

The less people loaded big ships, the more people would be able to load at once and the shorter the wait times. I think that is the problem much more than the number of people loading (though that can be one as well), as at any one time there would far more likely to be something on the board if 8 sloops were out instead of one xebec for example.

Furthermore, what about the quality of the voyages? I would much rather puzzle with the navy than on a ship that is spamming whistles, booching bnav every battle, has one or more clearly angry/annoyed people on board and so on.

If anything all the doub oceans should be glad they are getting so many greenies. On Midnight I haven't seen the number go past 60. Any excuse to tart aye? Ah, oops...

Edit: Also it doesn't matter how many voyages are on the board if most maybe all are not jobbing greenies as is often the case. Players making it tougher for eachother to play the game is maybe worse than any Three Rings game design problem.

Edit: Right now at 3PM game time, apart from a longship with 3 on board that is sailing, there is one ship jobbing greenies on Hunter. I had to wait 5 minutes on Sage before a ship jobbing greenies popped up. Viridian had plenty of ships for greenies to choose from, though most were understaffed as 14 were jobbing at once. All 3 oceans had crossloading SMHs stuck in port. Midnight, Cobalt and Malachite had 2-3 ships hiring greenies. I waited about 5 minutes on each ocean. I suppose this could be exceptional, at least some of it. Anyway there is a tonne of bias in this discussion, not many rational points are being made, though hey I guess it is parley!

Edit: Clearing up a load of booches hehe.
Bauds of Obsidian, formerly Cerulean and before that Midnight.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Bauds at Sep 4, 2011 3:16:46 PM]
[Sep 4, 2011 2:47:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Uh there's like 15 pillages up on Viridian, along with a handful of SMH and one or two foraging operations.

So about cooked statistics and biases, could you go over that again?
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Sep 4, 2011 3:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

I mentioned biases, cooked statistics and that there are a tonne of understaffed ships trying to load against eachother on Viridian. My point was that people should be trying to support greenies on their own ocean more rather than just tarting about it. People generally tart far more about problems than do something themselves to try to fix them.
[Sep 4, 2011 3:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

In fairness, right now mala has 4 pillages on the board, 3 of which are sailing and the last half-loaded, and someone was about to set up a greenie-friendly flotilla.

Viridian, by contrast, has 4 competing larger ships trying to load for smh/flotillas, one requiring Ren+ stats. None of them are filling quickly, and one is a Grand Frig.

This is just a snapshot, but.... lacking a game mechanic that would reduce loading times, THIS ISN'T HELPING.

PS, Goats you asked a few days ago about players that started and stayed on Mala - there's quite a few of us. Although technically I spawned on Sage, Malachite is where I landed as home and learned the most in a good crew.

edit: Oh. The GF entered a HS with 57 on board...
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Snowpixie at Sep 4, 2011 4:13:41 PM]
[Sep 4, 2011 4:10:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

One thing I didn't mention is that some of the worst booty cuts on Viridian beat the best ones on Malachite. Greenies don't know the difference, though, I guess.

Also, y'all think I care about this game. I barely play. I just see whining, and it calls to me.
[Sep 4, 2011 4:55:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

My (somewhat ropey) metaphor as to why Mala shouldn't have greenies;

You are having a great time playing football on the top of the hill. You kick your soccer ball off the top of the hill. It rolls down the slope, and into the mud at the bottom. You pick the ball up, and start carrying it back to the top to play football again. You reach halfway and put the ball down. The ball rolls down the slope, into the mud.

Putting the ocean Malachite back to the stage it was 12 months ago means it will roll back into the mud again. You need to carry it to the top of the hill (when the game was at peak server numbers) to really see any long term benifit. (This influx won't be around forever. The game has a social heirachy it needs to keep it fun. More greenies mean more people running voyages, more people running voyages mean more VO's make PoE. VO's get rich, get bored and quit. The greenies that made money from the VO's pillages invest it, buy ships/shops and then job the new greenies entering the game who go on to make their own fortune. However, when those new greenies aren't coming in, the current "Underclass" has no way of progressing. It quits through boredum. When this influx goes, Mala will die again. Tangent over [ though I do have a HUGGGGE post on Y!PP heirachy I can't find due to search failing]. Unfortunately, OOO needs to choose an ocean other than Mala and make sure they carry it to the top of the hill, be it Viridian, Sage or even Hunter. In my opinion, Malachite is already too dirty to be picked for this role.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Sep 4, 2011 5:13:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Armitron23

One thing I didn't mention is that some of the worst booty cuts on Viridian beat the best ones on Malachite. Greenies don't know the difference, though, I guess.

Also, y'all think I care about this game. I barely play. I just see whining, and it calls to me.

Yea We know Goat... You see whining.. so you think... Ah man drama! I need to jump in and whine too! because you don't like to be left out of anything and you love the attention. Trust me, We all know how you work.
Yankeejr of Cerulean Ocean
[Sep 4, 2011 5:38:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atoms12123

Even the worst pirates on Malachite are better than the best pirates on Viridian.

Find a name that beats this:

Ions
Captain of the Pimps at Sea.

Avatars by Inghild, Yumisa ...and Imp.
[Sep 4, 2011 6:26:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Atoms12123    Atoms12123 [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

Putting the ocean Malachite back to the stage it was 12 months ago means it will roll back into the mud again. You need to carry it to the top of the hill (when the game was at peak server numbers)...
... OOO needs to choose an ocean other than Mala and make sure they carry it to the top of the hill, be it Viridian, Sage or even Hunter. In my opinion, Malachite is already too dirty to be picked for this role.

That is your opinion. Clearly there are several hundred people who would rather stick to Malachite, Cobalt and Midnight than move to the doub oceans, and feel that an ocean being 'alive' isn't just about player numbers, though have plenty of fun on their own low population oceans. I'm sure a lot of people on these oceans feel that greenies should be introduced into a tight-knit, friendly, knowledgeable and mature community rather than one of the larger doub oceans.

In the end it's all bias, we all prefer different oceans for different reasons and will never agree upon which oceans are best or worst. Therefore all this criticism of oceans is silly, as is saying certain oceans don't deserve greenies. If anything here is to be debated it's the number of greenies being sent to various oceans, though I doubt debate will change anything; most game design threads, no matter how agreed upon and important, remain ignored.
[Sep 4, 2011 6:32:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Coquegobbler is certainly interesting. That's on par with some of the things that people came up with for/against Dockblockers Inc. Also, Yankeejr is the epitome of being drama-free, guise. :3 Derp.

We're not talking about ocean preference here. We're talking about the ability of various oceans, Malachite in particular, to retain new players. The Malachite response is only giving us more and more reasons to be concerned about a potential green hemorrhage.
[Sep 4, 2011 6:39:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sevenlyrcake

We're not talking about ocean preference here. We're talking about the ability of various oceans, Malachite in particular, to retain new players. The Malachite response is only giving us more and more reasons to be concerned about a potential green hemorrhage.

But you said earlier on this page that you barely play the game anymore. So why bother participating in a conversation regarding new player retention, the pros/cons of particular oceans, etc.? If ye care about new player retention then go out & play and meet the new players.

/e is confused.
Sevenlayers on the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer, Midnight Reavers

[Sep 4, 2011 8:52:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

Would it be a lack of common sense for a new player to not know the /w command?

You guys really aren't good at this. Like I said, make your ocean more appealing and people won't give it up for another. By the way, how many of you actually started on Malachite and actually stayed there?

The poster is clearly not a new comer, so this is quite irrelevant.

Mala day one. Represent? Yes.
Emmett
[Sep 4, 2011 10:19:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

The poster is clearly not a new comer, so this is quite irrelevant.

I have no words for you if you still miss the point 30 posts later, after multiple explanations and reiterations. The sheer derpity is mind boggling.

@deliciouscake, I don't care about player retention. I just care that the forums stay up, for now.
[Sep 4, 2011 10:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

Maybe Goats is concerned with new player retention because he's looking for a forum successor.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Sep 4, 2011 11:29:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zeplin411

Edit: Right now at 3PM game time, apart from a longship with 3 on board that is sailing, there is one ship jobbing greenies on Hunter. I had to wait 5 minutes on Sage before a ship jobbing greenies popped up. Viridian had plenty of ships for greenies to choose from, though most were understaffed as 14 were jobbing at once. All 3 oceans had crossloading SMHs stuck in port. Midnight, Cobalt and Malachite had 2-3 ships hiring greenies. I waited about 5 minutes on each ocean. I suppose this could be exceptional, at least some of it. Anyway there is a tonne of bias in this discussion, not many rational points are being made, though hey I guess it is parley!

I am sorry you missed my WB pilly. Over half of it was greenies and we ported about 2:45 pm. For the whole rum of 8 battles we had roughly 20-26 people on board. I will say my officers are loving taking turns using the "big" ships lately.

About this Mala doesn't deserve greenies, it is a crock a bull cannon. They deserve the same chance as any other ocean.
Miget
Captain of Sealords Armada
Queen of Imperial Rednecks

Castor tells ye, "Ahoy mate. Did ye want the name "Awesome"? (That will run ye 12 shanghais)
A drunk moment with a flaggie saying "awesome"
[Sep 5, 2011 1:14:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moeurfoe

Lets hope this game continues running for a while. Two questions pop out from this thread.

Lots of greenies sent to Mala. The numbers go up for a while as the steamers come in. They find there isnt enough to do and could log off. Meanwhile hunter/sage/viridian could be entertaining them with the many exciting features this game has. Is this temporary spike of numbers for Mala good for the game?

If you get on a game and have just begun to explore stuff. You arent sure if you even like it or not. And some strange woman sends you tells about how this ocean sux and you need to movetovirid. You were just about to try out some puzzles and this woman is creeping you out. Is this good for the game?
Captain of Haxorz on Viridian

Moedefoe on Viridian, Sage, Cobalt and Midnight
Kanoo on Hunter and errr...Malachite thing.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by moeurfoe at Sep 5, 2011 1:38:39 AM]
[Sep 5, 2011 1:38:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

I am sorry you missed my WB pilly. Over half of it was greenies and we ported about 2:45 pm. For the whole rum of 8 battles we had roughly 20-26 people on board. I will say my officers are loving taking turns using the "big" ships lately.

About this Mala doesn't deserve greenies, it is a crock a bull cannon. They deserve the same chance as any other ocean.

Once again, it's not the players nor the ocean itself that is the issue here, it's whether the ocean is active enough to entertain and retain three hundred new greenies. If new players are seeing nothing on noticeboards because the number of skilled players online is insufficient to keep enough going, they log off bored and probably don't return.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Sep 5, 2011 1:56:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Lol, well it's a really nice concept to have greeters to help newcommers along. But hardly a requirement to start playing any game. I never asked a greeter anything and got along in the game fine without it. So I don't think this is much of an issue really. Haven't seen any overworked greeters on mala since pp is on steam.

Edit:

Once again, it's not the players nor the ocean itself that is the issue here, it's whether the ocean is active enough to entertain and retain three hundred new greenies. If new players are seeing nothing on noticeboards because the number of skilled players online is insufficient to keep enough going, they log off bored and probably don't return.

hold on. Where does this 300 come from. I haven't seen 300 people on line in mala in the past days, so stop exaggerating. And we are perfectly able to entertain 100 newcommers.
Something everyone seems to forget is that it is not about the absolute number of pillies on the board. It may take 20 pillies to entertain the vast community on viridian. Mala will only need a few to accomplish the same. Especially since most pillies on mala will job new players opposed to some of the other oceans where exlusive jobbing is more common practise.

This being said. Why be so envious of us getting a slice of the newcommers? If things are so great and vibrant at the bigger oceans you should not worrie about the number of new players comming in. You obviously have enough players already to create and maintain this vibrant atmosphere.
Or are you really so concerned about the gaming experience of all these new players? True semaritans wishing all players the best gaming experience they can possibly have? If that is te case, remember that some players actually found their best gaming experience on mala. Not just old salts, but newcommers like myself as well. So stop the arrogance and ecknowledge that for some mala is best and for others viridian, sage, opal or any of the other oceans might be what they are looking for. Some new players that are spawned at viridian might not come back because they don't like viridian. o.O It could happen you know. Just as some might not like mala :s That is not for us to decide. So in my opinion, spawning the greenies on all oceans is the best thing OOO could do.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Sep 5, 2011 3:55:28 AM]
[Sep 5, 2011 3:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just came back from being locked out of internet for 4 days, and this is the first thing I get directed to.

First off, TL;DR.

Second, AMBUR <33333333 HAHAHA.

On a serious note, I spent nearly 3 years on Mala. I saw the population go from 250people online at most times going down to around 90 people. And when I moved to Hunter, it was like I was experiencing the game all over again. Due to all the things I've never been actually been able to enjoy on Mala.

You're deffo killing off these steamers by sending them to Mala IF this is just a temporary raise of population, if it's not, the future for mala shall be interesting.
Sincerely
[Sep 5, 2011 8:52:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

And that's why you're getting a strong Malachite response, because Malachite is in a better state (in terms of pure numbers) than four other oceans which no-one is actively trying to sabotage.

Hold a position that all the international and sub oceans should be killed off as well as Malachite, and that is a valid opinion, though OOO have made it fairly clear that they don't agree with you. Just pick on Malachite, and you are clearly targeting us and our community without any logical reason to do so.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Sep 5, 2011 11:02:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Yngve6 wrote: 
This being said. Why be so envious of us getting a slice of the newcommers? If things are so great and vibrant at the bigger oceans you should not worrie about the number of new players comming in. You obviously have enough players already to create and maintain this vibrant atmosphere.

Nobody here is envious. I see no complaints that the bigger oceans aren't getting their share of new players.

This game falters badly when player numbers drop below a couple hundred. Suddenly there aren't enough voyages or parlor opponents to allow new or returning players to drop in and play at odd hours. Everything requires long waits. If there are only 10 SF opponents online, you each check the SF tables every 5 minutes, and each game is posted for 30 seconds, not many games will be played. If you feed that to a brand new player, what's to keep them playing long enough to feel anything other than boredom? If a rush of new players doesn't push the stable population past that critical mass, nothing is solved.

This is what has people concerned. Whether or not it's happening on Malachite is another matter.
On hiatus. :(
[Sep 5, 2011 6:09:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Hold a position that all the international and sub oceans should be killed off as well as Malachite, and that is a valid opinion...

I doubt that the international oceans are getting a greenie spawn, so they aren't of any concern. I don't think anybody on the inside really cares about those servers, aside from the German- and Spanish-speaking OMs that got hired. I'm not sure how you're saying that Malachite has better health than the sub oceans based on one look at the noticeboard, but regardless, I don't particularly care about them either. The doubloon model has shown that subscription is outdated, and those who still largely cling to it are there because it's easier than having to worry about badges and delivery fees.

Oh also that they're super cool and way moar betterer than everybody else.
[Sep 5, 2011 9:57:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

So what you are saying is, that it is fear of dropping nr of players on the other dub oceans that has lead to this desperate act of 'stealing' greenies from mala. Well those where my thought exactly. So perhaps the other dub oceans don't rock as much as you would like us to believe. Otherwise why worry?

I think that most of you have been playing this game for so long that you have forgotten what it is like to be new to this game. I'm convinced that newcommers are perfectly happy with navy missions, ordinary sloop pillies, fighting bots and such.
And as they gain experience they will start hopping oceans and perhaps move. But that will be up to them.

So stop worrying and complaining and entertain our new players the best way we can. Make them stick around long enough for wanting to do WF pillies CI's and such.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Sep 6, 2011 3:50:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sevenlyrcake

The doubloon model has shown that subscription is outdated, and those who still largely cling to it are there because it's easier than having to worry about badges and delivery fees.

^ This (and other reasons)

Oh also that they're super cool and way moar betterer than everybody else.

^ Not this (but thank you)
Sevenlayers on the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer, Midnight Reavers

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sevenlyrcake at Sep 6, 2011 7:41:03 AM]
[Sep 6, 2011 7:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 185   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates