• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2256 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
TheZeekyWord

Taking Ol' Yeller to the park one last time. Reply to this Post

So, the game was pretty much dead until Three Rings put it on Steam. How long is the player base going to stay? Granted, Steam has more users online at any given time than Puzzle Pirates has ever had online ever, so the player boom should be pretty big.

But how long will it last? Could be anywhere from a few days to multiple years. The community could become larger and more active than the game did in its 'glory days' a few years back. Unfortunately, it's a safe bet that it's not going to happen unless things change, both on the developers' side and the community's side.

The main issue on the developers' side is why the game stagnated in the first place: neglect. Neglect for the game, neglect towards the community, neglect for everything because the game was no longer as profitable as it used to be. Of course, Three Rings is a company and they do need to make money. And compared to other sites that host free games, they've done an absolutely amazing job of it. However, as is the norm for all free games, the ratio of money earned to work put out dwindles and less work is done to get the same amount of money. The end result is neglect and a dying game.

The community doesn't get off scot-free either. Over the past few years, partially as a result of the dying game, the community developed a sense of elitism and offensiveness entirely unwarranted toward the new players that trickle in from time to time. Irrational hatred toward new players can very easily cause them to think that the game is terrible and never play again. Couple that with the fact that existing players will take extended breaks from the game, get banned, or just plain quit playing, it means that the player base constantly dwindles out to nothing.

The fact of the matter is that a game does not have an unlimited lifespan. Games come and go, and it's a damn shame to see good games go under because of neglect. Putting Puzzle Pirates on Steam is a GREAT way to extend the lifespan of the game, but unless the devs put work in to make sure the players are, at the very least, content, the influx of players to Puzzle Pirates is going to be a very short one.

But what do I know? I haven't played this game seriously in years.
----------------------------------------
cannedfood sez

I am pissed at the practice of pointless, perpetual persecution of people posting in piritical parley and politics.

[Aug 31, 2011 6:33:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

Re: Taking Ol' Yeller to the park one last time. Reply to this Post

One of the things that make me upset about this the most is that people do have good ideas that won't take much time to implement. Yet OOO seems to ignore these.

Another thing is that this game isn't very supportive of new players also. Familiars, ultimate stats, black clothing etc. probably doesn't make a greenie feel confident about the game, either.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alec1000 at Sep 3, 2011 2:19:23 PM]
[Sep 3, 2011 2:09:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Another thing is that this game isn't very supportive of new players also. Familiars, ultimate stats, black clothing etc. probably doesn't make a greenie feel confident about the game, either.
All of this is now more readily available to newer players than it ever was. Some would say that is the major problem in player retention (both of newer and older players), not the perceived unfriendliness of the game toward new players. With shortcuts to the high-end game and goals, the lifespan of the game to your average player decreases.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Sep 3, 2011 7:24:38 PM]
[Sep 3, 2011 7:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hazelsworn

Familiars, ultimate stats, black clothing etc. probably doesn't make a greenie feel confident about the game, either.

I disagree with this. Having this kind of rare stuff makes people have goals and work hard in game to get somewhere and buy extra subscription time/dubloons to make more poe to get fams or black clothes and ult stats and etc.
Coexist , Emerald
Me on YouTube!

[Sep 3, 2011 7:34:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

Alec1000 wrote: 

What's that thing on your shoulder?

A familiar.

Can I have it?

No, it's rare.

Can I have that black coat instead? All I have is rags.

No, it's expensive.

There's nothing to do here. I quit!
On hiatus. :(
[Sep 3, 2011 7:50:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Alec1000 wrote: 

What's that thing on your shoulder?

A familiar.

Can I have it?

No, it's rare.

Can I have that black coat instead? All I have is rags.

No, it's expensive.

There's nothing to do here. I quit!

See, the problem with that example Dmitri, is that you did not include the inevitable discussion as to WHY it's rare or expensive, followed by the always forthcoming suggestions on how to increase one's income in game.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Sep 4, 2011 6:05:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

One of the things that make me upset about this the most is that people do have good ideas that won't take much time to implement. Yet OOO seems to ignore these.

I hope you aren't talking about your ideas.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 9, 2011 7:02:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates