• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7562 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
false_dmitri

Dear everyone Reply to this Post

So Puzzle Pirates is now on Steam. Game saved? Only if you want it to be.

Let's assume lots of new players show up. If they leave again soon after, that's it, chance blown. There probably won't be another.

They're a lot more likely to keep playing if you make the game a fun place to be. With that in mind, I have a few not very humble suggestions based on my time in the game. I realize I could be wrong about some of these, so feel free to ignore them.

GENERAL

When you see what looks like a new player, greet them. Find out who they are. Ask if they've tried any parts of the game. Answer their questions. Make a good first impression and show them there's a lot waiting to be discovered.

Don't dockpress them into your crew. It's more important to hearty them and stay in touch. Join them up if you think they genuinely want to stick around.

SF skill doesn't make you better than them. Lack of skill doesn't entitle you to win anyway. More Good Games, less Greenie and Lucker. Give them a reason to play a rematch.

Don't scam them! Even if you're a scammer! Give it a rest for a while to let the community grow. Even parasites need hosts.

Don't tell them how stupid they are for paying real money for the game. Real money for doubloons is essentially the *only* thing funding doubloon oceans. By all means show them how to trade PoE for doubloons and vice versa, but don't mock them for paying for your playtime, and don't discourage them from helping keep the game open without explaining that's what doubloons do.

PILLAGING

This would be a good time to drop the Elite Pillage nonsense. Less than 1 in 10 of the people who call their pillages "Elite" can deliver bnav to match. A lot don't even know what they mean by "Elite", they just call it that and slap a meaningless stat requirement on their voyage. You don't need "Elite" players to win big money. Pick a tough route, set the difficulty high, and *play the duty nav puzzle well* to make the settings take effect. You can take a green player along with your balanced crew and still get high payouts. Besides, you can make a healthy profit without reaching the highest possible payouts every trip. There are going to be a lot of green players here soon. Give them a chance to play the game with you.

You are not a feudal lord, and your jobbers are not your serfs. It's not their fault you don't know how to put people on sails and guns before a fight. It's not their fault you got the ship shot 10 times, grappled early, can't coordinate a melee properly, or anything else that betrays a lack of experience and attention. If you lose, apologize. When they get bored, let them leave. When they have to leave for real life, tell them you hope to see them again next time. Tell them how long you're staying out, and don't drag them along for hours after they asked to end the trip. Be a host, show them a good time.

ATLANTIS

Atlantis is broken. We all know it by now. Which do you want? A bunch of new players who learn how to get paid for sitting around an exit point? Or players who try to get better at the game? Run your voyages accordingly. Easy loot gets boring fast, and what seems like a great game at first glance suddenly feels broken and not worth playing. Yes, it's Three Rings' problem too. That doesn't make exploiting it good for the game.

Same rule as pillages. You're not their boss, you don't have tenure, they aren't your slaves. Make the voyage fun or they won't be back for a second trip.

Don't stick your WF up on the noticeboard when there are 5 other WFs loading. Or 3, or 1, depending on how many are online. You all should know how to type /who. Use it. Time how long it's taking your ship to fill. If you're getting 1 jobber per 5 minutes, your 20 person WF *isn't going to sail* until someone else's ends. But you're keeping all those increasingly impatient people tied up all the same. Set a deadline, communicate with other voyages, move to a smaller ship--think and react! Even when other voyages refuse to cooperate. No ships sailing means no players playing.

CURSED ISLES

Cursed Isles takes more talent and dedication than a pillage. It doesn't need "Elite" talent, though. You can take new players along if you have enough stronger players at the important positions. You can skip thralling, head straight for the island, win the first 3 frays and head back out. It's not for everyone, but as long as you can stomach risking a ship for fewer chests, you can bring along people who've never seen the cool art and hectic pacing. Great way to get them involved.

OTHER STUFF

Most of the other content shares the same principles. Take chances! Don't go for the easiest win every time, make things fun by risking a sink. Pick a strong sailor and fill the other stations with new players. Sail with 4 instead of 7. Experiment.

The worst an officer can do is strand your unlocked ships, lose some of their stock, or transform them into an expensive bottle in wartime. They can't raid your holds (without time-consuming exploits) and they can't steal your ships. Don't make my mistake and take forever to promote people to officer. Be reasonable about it so they can explore more areas of the game.

Don't stuff your crew with new players just to show off how big your crew is. Don't hand out officer to every person gullible enough to join. Take some responsibility and show them how to play the game. If you don't know how to play the game yourself, maybe you shouldn't be a captain. Strong crews bring players back over and over. Weak, oversized crews help them out the door. Help new players find supportive crews. Don't use them to help you learn the basics.

I think that's enough. Remember your first few times playing. There's a huge world in this game to discover, even bigger than when you joined. Help the new folks discover it whatever way you can. It will pay off many times over.

THREE RINGS

Even if you get a bunch of new players from this, the game has some unnecessary problems with player retention. Please work on reducing the wait times, not making them take even longer with tough sloop pillages and too-easy WF activities.

New content is great, but it should be new. Sticking a melee at the end of every activity means we get more of the same melees we've been playing from the beginning. Mix it up more. New puzzles would be welcome.

Add more things to do during slow times so that players don't just wander off for something better to do. There will always be downtime, but keeping it alive makes the rest of the game healthier. Making labor puzzles more attractive wouldn't hurt, although it won't solve this.

And personal plea, please fix the Jobber's Delight sort? It's wrong for so many reasons.

Good luck to the game! I can't put the time in that I'd like to, but I'd love to see it healthy for many years to come.
----------------------------------------
On hiatus. :(
[Edit 1 times, last edit by false_dmitri at Aug 31, 2011 11:21:07 AM]
[Aug 31, 2011 10:59:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Re: Dear everyone Reply to this Post

An excellent post Dmitri.

Question for OOO: Dmitri only mentions dubs in his post. Is the new player distribution from Steam going to go to sub oceans at the same rate?
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Aug 31, 2011 11:04:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

Thank you for this.

One of the gifts for getting the game on Steam is a Pirate Badge. So I assume it's dub focussed.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alec1000 at Aug 31, 2011 11:06:52 AM]
[Aug 31, 2011 11:05:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shawe

A perfect world is perfect.
Shawe - Greed is good.
"FIGHT CLUB!" Avatars by Shawe.
[Aug 31, 2011 11:11:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shawe [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Well on Cobalt right now there's more greenies than greeters ... which I haven't seen in at least a year. So that seems promising. :)
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Aug 31, 2011 11:28:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jac630

Can there be a way to bind my current account with my Steam account? That happened with SK. It would be appreciated a lot.
Mariomario on Cobalt
Babel on Ice
Shiroji on Viridian
[Aug 31, 2011 12:20:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.nintendo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Ice_devil

I talked to Nemesis. She pointed out a good fact; Steam players are, well, gamers. I've been running a WB pilly with mostly greenies and when I shout instructions on how to team, I only have one or two soloers; its refreshing to have greenies that also can help out around on your pilly..

just my 2 cents.
Hellacious/Hellaciouss/Defunct/Hamsterz
Capy tells ye, "I'm sorry... I don't know you well enough yet to allow you cam time!"
Plu tells ye, "screw you..Im interfering in every cade you ever contend&q
[Aug 31, 2011 12:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erissar

jac630 wrote: 
Can there be a way to bind my current account with my Steam account? That happened with SK. It would be appreciated a lot.

Not yet, but it will be implemented sometime. From Herme's post:

Hermes wrote: 
In the near future, current players will be able to associate their existing accounts with Steam to take advantage of Steam's Achievement system and other convenient features.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Erissar at Aug 31, 2011 12:56:58 PM]
[Aug 31, 2011 12:45:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Also, tell them about the YPPedia! It's an extremely helpful resource and will answer almost any question they have about the game. I'm sure they'll be glad to know about it.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Aug 31, 2011 12:50:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

This is only a temporary solution. Dmitri mentions it, but there need to be changes to core gameplay issues that drove away thousands of players in the first place.
[Aug 31, 2011 1:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

This is only a temporary solution. Dmitri mentions it, but there need to be changes to core gameplay issues that drove away thousands of players in the first place.

There is one, and only one, issue.

Too many chiefs: everybody wants to be the CO.

And that issue has not driven anybody but eejits away.

The core game is the same as it always was: do better on yer duty report than yer mates, or do yer best getting close.
[Aug 31, 2011 1:29:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Question for OOO: Dmitri only mentions dubs in his post. Is the new player distribution from Steam going to go to sub oceans at the same rate?

From looking at the activity tracker it seems the steam players are mostly going to doubloon oceans. The English doub ocean have all seen significant spikes today, but not so much for Cobalt and Midnight.

I might be wrong but it looks like that to me.

http://www.glowie.com/~onyx/PPAT/PPAT.php
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Aug 31, 2011 7:24:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

From looking at the activity tracker it seems the steam players are mostly going to doubloon oceans. The English doub ocean have all seen significant spikes today, but not so much for Cobalt and Midnight.

Since the Steam players are promised a free pirate badge if they try the game out this week, I think it's fair to say that none of them are being sent to sub oceans.
[Aug 31, 2011 7:46:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I don't know, like I said there were a significant number of greenies on Cobalt this afternoon. I had a long conversation with a guy that hit the "Talk to a Greeter" button, but I neglected to ask him if he came from Steam.
Thebloggess wrote: 

[Aug 31, 2011 8:17:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorath

Since the Steam players are promised a free pirate badge if they try the game out this week, I think it's fair to say that none of them are being sent to sub oceans.

To add to that the YPP is categorized under "Free to Play" games. Which is "code" for games that contain micro-payments.

Edit: Steam's definition of Free to Play is thus, "Free-to-Play games are available to download for free and can be played without a subscription or a credit card. Your Steam wallet allows you to purchase items and content in-game to customize your gameplay."
Gorath
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gorath at Aug 31, 2011 8:32:05 PM]
[Aug 31, 2011 8:19:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

EDIT: Moved this post to here
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Decency at Sep 1, 2011 9:22:44 AM]
[Sep 1, 2011 3:02:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Just thought I'd note, later today I'll be writing a greenies guide to choosing an ocean on the Puzzle Pirates Steam Forum.

But Dmitri, I agree with everything.
[Sep 1, 2011 5:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Well, Thats pretty disgusting. I am a nice person, So I buy a Greenie from Steam a Bravery Badge so he can go and do an Atlantis with Gulfstream, Well. Good to see people havn't changed.

Gulfstream tells ye, "be cool, lets the greenie gets his stats up first"
Note this was a War Frigate Atlantis- Why would you screen?

(And Yes, I did get permission to post Logs.)

Puzzle Pirates community, You've flawed logic once again.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by catscanner at Sep 1, 2011 7:42:56 AM]
[Sep 1, 2011 7:41:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snakiee

...I mean people are perfectly in their rights to (for example) job people at a really high standard because it's more efficient for them, but I've often found that actually there isn't a whole load of difference between jobbing Master+ and GM+. It's just a title, and if you want to encourage people to stay here, we need to get rid of this somewhat "unfair" system. Of course the people who like to run uber-leetly stuff are going to complain, but they're right to. It just won't be very beneficial for everyone...

You're right, this does indeed not make much of a difference. I must say I haven't pillaged on GM+. (That's mainly because I thought it was to high of a requirement in the first place.) But the difference between Master+ and Renowned+ is barely noticable. I know it sounds a little odd to say it this way, but in the end there isn't much difference in their scoring, they might score one or two incredibles more or less, but if you're a decent battle navigator, you should be fine without those.
Snakie
~Band of the Panthera~
[Sep 1, 2011 9:09:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Decency

You're right, this does indeed not make much of a difference. I must say I haven't pillaged on GM+. (That's mainly because I thought it was to high of a requirement in the first place.) But the difference between Master+ and Renowned+ is barely noticable. I know it sounds a little odd to say it this way, but in the end there isn't much difference in their scoring, they might score one or two incredibles more or less, but if you're a decent battle navigator, you should be fine without those.

exactly my point ^-^

EDIT: Spacing
Decency: All over the place

Ions tells ye, "I'm going to have sex with my cat now."

Ions says, "I have always wanted to have sex with a penguin"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Decency at Sep 1, 2011 9:17:22 AM]
[Sep 1, 2011 9:16:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

If you're a good bnaver all you need (on a sloop) is 1 Resp+Sailor and/or 1 Resp+Gunner (I say Resp+Gunner cause I'm lazy to gun myself). And that's more than what's needed actually.
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Sep 1, 2011 11:40:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dwizzles

Hunter currently has 160 greenies online, but we have 5 WF or WB smhs, at least 3 of which have a Master+ jobbing requirement. If you see this happening, throw a tourney or send a tell to the naver explaining why that is bad.

We need to do everything in our power to keep these new players around, we aren't going to get a third chance.

Edit: Also, all you need on a brig is one Renowned+ sailor and literally anybody that knows the order of the gunning puzzle can gun. The ship runs itself, just don't trade shots.
-Dwizzles
Captain of Skeletons
King of Illuminatti
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dwizzles at Sep 1, 2011 1:21:40 PM]
[Sep 1, 2011 1:19:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

literally anybody that knows the order of the gunning puzzle can gun.
Hi.

Wishing I was able to get onto the game at the moment, but hopefully once I'm back the influx of players will be continuing. Like people have been saying, drop your requirements for your pillages/whatever else and job some greenies. If you don't, they'll just get bored or have bad experiences and try another game. Then we'll be back to where we were a few days ago.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Sep 1, 2011 3:15:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

People on the internet don't understand the concept of "driven away." No, I don't know why.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 1, 2011 6:46:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Also if you can't win battles with someone who gives you a cannonball a turn your route is too hard for your skill level, so switch to an easier route.
Rome
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rick9109 at Sep 1, 2011 6:49:05 PM]
[Sep 1, 2011 6:48:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Ok, I put my money where my mouth is. Cool people let's help out Malchi...whatever.
Rome
[Sep 1, 2011 8:23:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Erissar

Most of my piracy stats have gone up a standing since YPP was added to steam without me playing them.

One sign that it's having an impact on the oceans.
[Sep 2, 2011 4:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hazelsworn

Yes the huge influx of newer players has bloated the lower levels. Lots of unskilled novice/able players.

Right now on Cobalt there are 32 greenies and 27 greeters. I'd say subscription oceans are getting people from Steam. I'm running a greeter pillage and the majority of them are in fact from Steam.
Coexist , Emerald
Me on YouTube!

[Sep 2, 2011 7:45:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I wonder if that's just people who wandered over from switching servers? Cuz the other oceans were in the 80s in prime time. Still, I won't say no to greenies on Midnight.
Rome
[Sep 2, 2011 8:22:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates