• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 346
Posts: 346   Pages: 12   [ First Page | Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 51482 times and has 345 replies Next Thread
bronzebeard

Re: An open letter to ANY of the Three Rings employees Reply to this Post

something larger before the end of the year

Just wondering if there is something else big on its way, or if this is January's ocean-merge?
----------------------------------------
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Dec 8, 2011 3:20:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

A full merge is pretty big, don't you think? Although how they handle it could involve lots or little gameplay.
On hiatus. :(
[Dec 8, 2011 4:33:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alesanaftw

If SEGA has bought out Puzzle Pirates why wouldn't they list it on there website to at least get new people playing the game

http://www.sega.com/
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Dec 8, 2011 4:41:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

A full merge is pretty big, don't you think? Although how they handle it could involve lots or little gameplay.

Of course it's a big change but since it is pencilled in for January, I was wondering if that was the only big thing they have to release.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Dec 8, 2011 11:30:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

I managed to read through 20 plus pages here, but need to get some sleep at this point, but I do want to mention one thing that ties in to both poker and pillaging.

On Viridian, I am currently in a crew that is largely dormant (i.e. I'm the only active player). The crew founder has been offline over a year due to some long distance move and no at home internet where he currently lives (which may change in the near future).

When I first joined his crew, he was running sloop pillages daily and doing well with them. He was a damfine bnavver; I've watched him many times max a WF from a sloop and never take a single hit.

However, not long after the crew started up, OOO changed the way pillage payouts occured: Instead of everyone having to wait until the pillage was over to receive their pay out, they started getting a modest share of booty every time we won a battle.

And that's when our pillages died, because people would job only until they got a few hundred poe. They would immediately leave the pillage and head for the nearest inn/poker table, because they only pillaged long enough to get a stake for one of the low end poker tables.

We would be lucky if our sloop pillages after that would run more than 2 battles before they ended up just him, me, and a couple of bots trying to port a heavily damaged sloop.

So, yes, from our experience, poker affected pillaging much more than poker being a fast way to make a buck.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Dec 12, 2011 6:34:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
gorillazz55

i don't really have a problem with the game itself it could use some more things to do ...but the major problem for me is just the community...there is not enough we need more players
[Dec 14, 2011 2:00:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

i don't really have a problem with the game itself it could use some more things to do ...but the major problem for me is just the community...there is not enough we need more players

In theory, the merge of oceans should allow for better new player retention as well as older players making marketing and advertising much more effective as previously many new players logged into doubloon oceans with populations of 500 or less now there will be two oceans of relatively equal size at approximately 800 or more.
Formerly Julaxis of the Viridian and Malachite Oceans
[Dec 20, 2011 7:10:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

In theory, the merge of oceans should allow for better new player retention as well as older players making marketing and advertising much more effective as previously many new players logged into doubloon oceans with populations of 500 or less now there will be two oceans of relatively equal size at approximately 800 or more.

Yes, but in practice, something should be done, occasionally, to get the word out to non-players. The game was really designed with a certain amount of turnover in mind. I've never seen any effort, really, in the last several years, to indicate any sort of advertising, out-of-game promotions, or anything of the sort. A lot is not needed. But without at least a small amount, the game will eventually die off.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 20, 2011 7:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

Three Rings did try to get the word out and increase player numbers by adding the game to Facebook and Steam. Shortly after announcing the new ocean merger multiple popular MMO/Gaming websites had articles posted about the new merger and the expansion of content per ocean that players could now explore as well as increasing the number of players online at any given time. They've also started utilizing their Twitter and Facebook accounts to post when new events take place per posts by players that didn't feel like it was being used enough. It's not like they completely don't try. Last time I looked all the original advertising is still out and present and they've made few and far between but recognize able attempts at adding new advertising without spending too much money on it.

By all accounts the two biggest advertising products that brought players to the game are no longer available though so they need to find a way to replace those or combine them. At least by my opinion these two big things were Game Cards and Box Editions. I think it would benefit greatly if either one or both could be established in stores in the US again. Offer Subscription time or an equivalent amount of Doubloons on a purchase of a box edition along with the original non-dusting items. Parents and Kids are more likely to see the game on a store shelf at Walmart, Target or Hastings than they are surfing the internet.
[Dec 20, 2011 8:15:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lilcracker

skiffygrrl wrote:

On Viridian, I am currently in a crew that is largely dormant (i.e. I'm the only active player). The crew founder has been offline over a year due to some long distance move and no at home internet where he currently lives (which may change in the near future).

When I first joined his crew, he was running sloop pillages daily and doing well with them. He was a damfine bnavver; I've watched him many times max a WF from a sloop and never take a single hit.

However, not long after the crew started up, OOO changed the way pillage payouts occured: Instead of everyone having to wait until the pillage was over to receive their pay out, they started getting a modest share of booty every time we won a battle.

And that's when our pillages died, because people would job only until they got a few hundred poe. They would immediately leave the pillage and head for the nearest inn/poker table, because they only pillaged long enough to get a stake for one of the low end poker tables.

We would be lucky if our sloop pillages after that would run more than 2 battles before they ended up just him, me, and a couple of bots trying to port a heavily damaged sloop.

So, yes, from our experience, poker affected pillaging much more than poker being a fast way to make a buck.

now yes this change did effect pillages in a big way. however whether or not it was good is very debatable. the main thing it did is promise poe/battle. from my observationms there are an extremely low ammount of loss-less pillages. one thing this change did is lower the losses when battles are lost, and did not lower the winnings (so only good on this). given the low ammount of loss-less pillages this was a good change. if there were more loss-less pillages, like if at least 40% of the pillages were, then this would be a bad change. this is, unfortunately, not the case.

now i am just guessing here that one of the points in yer post is that poker should be taken out of the game. when i started playing(about 5 years ago), poker was around, and pillages were still very vast. this may have been due to the infancy of poker at the time, but taking it out would take away a major leisure activity out of the game.

even though im not much of a frequent poker player on PP, it does keep me on a loading ship for a bit of time.. about enough time for it to load, and i am sure this is true for a large ammount of players. this may not have an effect on sloops but for WB+ a poker table is customary.... if not necessary. the real problem is the ammount of piratey spirit, and there is no way to control that. it is just who the people are who play the game. some are into the pirate life, some aren't. (of course new content which is related to pirate life and within its boundaries
would increase the piratey spirit of the populus. this means NO FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTERS!)

unfortunately i can't see any solution to people staying on yer ship. it is a possibility to make it so that you can choose between splitting initials or waiting till the end but this would most likely become a prefference issue like the "jobber's dlight vs. even" booty cuts. all i can advise you to do is find a group of pirates who will pillage with you instead of pokering and use that as your team. =)
Meridian - Minigun

Emerald - Nightbear
[Dec 21, 2011 2:27:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

even though im not much of a frequent poker player on PP, it does keep me on a loading ship for a bit of time.. about enough time for it to load, and i am sure this is true for a large ammount of players. this may not have an effect on sloops but for WB+ a poker table is customary.... if not necessary.

In theory if poker was taken out of the game you wouldn't need a poker table because more players would job to make their poe rather than sit in the Inn for an endless amount of time making poe off of poker.

It has good and bad effects.
Remove poker the leisure players go back to SF, Rumble, Drinking, Spades, Hearts, TD, Running Shops/Stalls, and merchanting. But you also have the players who would want to quit playing without poker. You run the risk of deflating the entire economy by removing a poe sink for many players who aren't good at playing poker but still buy dubs regularly.

At this point its a little to late to try and remove poker from the game as it provides too much balance and separation thats required in the game to prevent a deflation of doubloon prices and ship prices. It would virtually rip the bottom out of the economy and everything that would normally require doubloons to purchase immediately becomes worth roughly one-third of its original value and you still have players with millions upon millions that can now afford even more than they could before...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Julaxis at Dec 21, 2011 2:38:47 PM]
[Dec 21, 2011 2:37:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Three Rings did try to get the word out and increase player numbers by adding the game to Facebook and Steam.

D'oh. I forgot about Steam. Probably because I don't use it. Yes, that was a good idea, no matter what the outcome (and I don't really know how many people we gained from it, so I don't know if it was positive or not.)

Shortly after announcing the new ocean merger multiple popular MMO/Gaming websites had articles posted about the new merger and the expansion of content per ocean that players could now explore as well as increasing the number of players online at any given time. They've also started utilizing their Twitter and Facebook accounts to post when new events take place per posts by players that didn't feel like it was being used enough.

OK, that looks good. I haven't seen any of it, myself, but I don't frequent those things as much as others.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 21, 2011 2:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

On the plus side, Three Rings is currently looking for a Product Marketing Manager.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Dec 21, 2011 3:06:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Julaxis

Three Rings did try to get the word out and increase player numbers by adding the game to Facebook and Steam.

D'oh. I forgot about Steam. Probably because I don't use it. Yes, that was a good idea, no matter what the outcome (and I don't really know how many people we gained from it, so I don't know if it was positive or not.)

Shortly after announcing the new ocean merger multiple popular MMO/Gaming websites had articles posted about the new merger and the expansion of content per ocean that players could now explore as well as increasing the number of players online at any given time. They've also started utilizing their Twitter and Facebook accounts to post when new events take place per posts by players that didn't feel like it was being used enough.

OK, that looks good. I haven't seen any of it, myself, but I don't frequent those things as much as others.

I don't frequent them but Hera was kind enough to link a few of them from her facebook page as well as I believe the Puzzle Pirates facebook page did the same.

For a period of time after the addition to steam I think there was a actually a pretty decent influx of new players with peak numbers of greenies on any given ocean near or over 100. However, I think this has eventually trickled down due to the fact that many players logged into small oceans without much activity and a lack of activity in a game can discourage many a player from wanting to continue to play. So I expect with the new ocean merger going on having two established doubloon oceans with high player numbers should result in, my own guesstimation of an increase of 5-10% more player retention with new players. However, that is only a guess and I really know nothing of their current player retention numbers.

I'd love to see a box edition of puzzle pirates resurface though if possible for Three Rings to execute. I think I mentioned it previously in this thread, that you could offer sub time or an equivalent amount of doubloons based on which ocean you choose to claim it on. Still offer the original non-dusting Sword as well as possibly a Rumble Bludgeon option and do away with the Savvy Hat unless you want to keep it as well. It would work out great for parents and kids who shop at regular retail stores to see a different kind of game on the shelf than the traditional WoW MMO for 15$ a month. Putting the box on the shelf along side Doubloon Game Cards would probably increase the amount of Game Card purchases and make it worth the cost of producing game cards again. Just a thought...
[Dec 21, 2011 3:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I'd love to see a box edition of puzzle pirates resurface though if possible for Three Rings to execute. I think I mentioned it previously in this thread, that you could offer sub time or an equivalent amount of doubloons based on which ocean you choose to claim it on. Still offer the original non-dusting Sword as well as possibly a Rumble Bludgeon option and do away with the Savvy Hat unless you want to keep it as well. It would work out great for parents and kids who shop at regular retail stores to see a different kind of game on the shelf than the traditional WoW MMO for 15$ a month. Putting the box on the shelf along side Doubloon Game Cards would probably increase the amount of Game Card purchases and make it worth the cost of producing game cards again. Just a thought...

If I remember right, enough of the boxes were remaindered that it's probably not going to return, though I won't claim expert knowledge. Personally, I would rather see game cards added to one of the next console games that Sega puts out, good for any of the Three Rings games. That way, players who aren't really into puzzling could still enjoy Spiral Knights or Doctor Who-- and those who aren't into SK or DW can try out YPP.
[Dec 21, 2011 4:21:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

xelto wrote: 
That way, players who aren't really into puzzling could still enjoy Spiral Knights or Doctor Who-- and those who aren't into SK or DW can try out YPP.

You may want to read some of the Doctor Who previews floating around. :)
On hiatus. :(
[Dec 21, 2011 6:55:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 346   Pages: 12   [ First Page | Previous Page | 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates