• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2639 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Chiptharip

Openings Reply to this Post

Now, I am actually not in favor of opening any new islands on any ocean; however, it would be nice to have some sort of update. Summer is pretty much over, in the sense that school terms have already begun/are beginning. Has this "plan" been completely abandoned, pushed back or what?

Apollo - March 17th wrote: 
This is something of a teaser - we're working on a plan for island openings on a number of oceans this summer.

Apollo - on June 1st wrote: 
I'm sorry that I'm not able to give you the final list and event details at this date, but we'll be finished as soon as we can, and we can then confirm the final shortlists.

[Aug 14, 2011 12:49:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jedra

Re: Openings Reply to this Post

I've was just thinking the exact same thing. The post by Apollo was to the effect of "Island openings are happening... details coming soon!"

nearly three months later and not a single word about it since...

Seriously guys, you need to work on your communication.
----------------------------------------
Kaine, the Dreamer

Former King of Sick Man's Dream
Former Royal of Fill in the Blank
Former Royal of Utopia

Former Captain (any every rank below) of Wicked

Current drunken bum who occasionally posts when he's bored.
[Aug 14, 2011 2:57:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kutamarmi

Their communication isn't that poor, your just poor at interpreting their communication as something you expect to happen immediately because that is what you want.

They have a list of things to get done and they prioritize those things in a list of importance. Sorry but to them a new island opening is just another thing they do once a year or every other year. Their original post said this summer and last I check it doesn't end until Sept 23rd.

They updated their posts about island openings as to which islands are going to be available to open in the event and they're working out a schedule as to when is best to hold that event now that school is starting back up. I would take a bet that they're going to post-pone the release until early to mid September so that students and parents with kids going back to school in all country's have an opportunity to get settled into their new school routines for the school year before dropping a new island release. But you'll see the event on the Notice Board more than likely before the end of August and the new islands that do open I would expect will be relatively colonized by the time Christmas rolls around.

Sorry that Three Rings doesn't keep you up to date on what their doing but they don't exactly have a history of keeping players in the loop on future releases, they prefer to keep the suspense within the company, spread a few rumors about what could be, and then drop it on us after we've all but almost forgotten that they promised any of it.
"It's not a skill, it's an attitude..."

Kutamar, Viridian
Captain of Deep Within
[Aug 14, 2011 3:49:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

Sorry that Three Rings doesn't keep you up to date on what their doing but they don't exactly have a history of keeping players in the loop on future releases, they prefer to keep the suspense within the company, spread a few rumors about what could be, and then drop it on us after we've all but almost forgotten that they promised any of it.

I know you're down with being an apologist and all, but that's just a silly way to treat customers. Perhaps myself and the others questioning this just have different notions of "summer release" and "finished as soon as we can". Preparing to take a new island (or prevent new islands from opening) requires players to contribute thousands of man hours of work. It requires adjusting real time and future plans. Really, it requires more actions on all levels of the ocean than I want to enumerate. It would be a shame for some flags to sacrifice current day blockading in pursuit of saving for a new opening that may or may not come. The game is struggling and the community feelings of apathy and (eventual) resentment are building. Dragging the players and their expectations along concerning the biggest event in recent YPP history is just not a cool way to treat customers.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Aug 14, 2011 4:14:48 PM]
[Aug 14, 2011 4:11:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Now, I am actually not in favor of opening any new islands on any ocean; however, it would be nice to have some sort of update. Summer is pretty much over, in the sense that school terms have already begun/are beginning. Has this "plan" been completely abandoned, pushed back or what?

Apollo - March 17th wrote: 
This is something of a teaser - we're working on a plan for island openings on a number of oceans this summer.

Apollo - on June 1st wrote: 
I'm sorry that I'm not able to give you the final list and event details at this date, but we'll be finished as soon as we can, and we can then confirm the final shortlists.

Sniped. I came on this Forum to make a post regarding this, and found your post. I've petitioned many OM's in game. They all simply linked me to the thread on the Forums....The communication is still Poor.
[Aug 15, 2011 1:27:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
timmyman10

hmmmmm

From the link>

I know its not really an event question but I wasnt sure where else to ask, is there any news on Island openings? its been about 2 months now since the shortlist was revealed so have the final islands been chosen?
I will have a gentle poke and see where it's got to!

Perhaps you should research more or just ask politely to the right people:D
Timmydude
SO of Skeletons

Gunnermooch wrote: The more I read Hunter Parley the more I am convinced the Special Bus drove straight into it.
[Aug 15, 2011 2:53:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chiptharip

hmmmmm

From the link>

I know its not really an event question but I wasnt sure where else to ask, is there any news on Island openings? its been about 2 months now since the shortlist was revealed so have the final islands been chosen?
I will have a gentle poke and see where it's got to!

Perhaps you should research more or just ask politely to the right people:D

Perhaps OOO should communicate their policies clearly instead of relying on the players to convey ambiguous information (to each other) derived from a one-off and chance encounter with an OM in a forum section that has nothing to do with island openings? :D :D :D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chiptharip at Aug 15, 2011 8:08:57 AM]
[Aug 15, 2011 8:06:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monstersoda

When did you get the impression that OOO found it necessary to update their Ypp players? They can't even update the links and blogs on their news page.
Emmett
[Aug 15, 2011 12:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

When did you get the impression that OOO found it necessary to update their Ypp players? They can't even update the links and blogs on their news page.

Um, what players?

(I hear that Cleaver is getting one of these framed for hanging in his office.)
[Aug 15, 2011 12:33:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
ade446

(I hear that Cleaver is getting one of these framed for hanging in his office.)

WIN!
Sincerely
[Aug 15, 2011 3:54:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Um, what players?

OOO still has players:

* The Bang! Howdy server is still connected to the internet.

* Whirled is still active and has more players than Midnight and Cobalt combined. Whirled still has an active developer and looks like it could be a stable micro-MMO for years to come (though I strongly doubt that OOO will ever get the $3 million USD that they poured into that gopher hole).

* Spiral Knights has more players than YPP. If you take a look at the Steam statistics, they're losing Steam based players at an alarming rate, but, right now, there's still more people playing SK on Steam than there are on all the YPP oceans, combined. (Given current trends, the previous statement could be false before the end of 2011.)

* It may all come down to The Doctor. OOO has one more big release for this year. They've made a big announcement about a Doctor Who MMO back in, uh, oh...February?...and they've got a team ready to get this thing going...oh, wait, they've got help wanted ads for a Game Designer and an Engineer for a game that's supposed to go live in less than 130 days!? Oh, and they still don't have screenshots ready for the general public. Break out the popcorn, folks, this one's gonna be a wild ride.
[Aug 23, 2011 7:44:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

I dunno. I don't think BBC bigwigs will be too impressed if the video game isn't released alongside the hype of the new series. I think the target could be to get it to go live alongside the Dr.Who christmas special.

I'm still interested as to why an American Video game company was given a contract by a taxpayer funded organisation while the UK is lacking jobs and has a fantastic video games industry in its own right.

I guess if the Beeb makes good money I won't be too bothered (Go Cleaver, go). After the fuss over various rail contracts being outsourced to Seimens there'll be some pressure on OOO to deliver. If not I r b writing angry letters ):.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Aug 23, 2011 1:39:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates