• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1734 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Sai

Sea battles swordfighting features Reply to this Post

A couple of features it would be nice to have:

Being able to observe the progress of the current battle the ship is engaged in, if you were not originally in the fight, or if you lost and quit. This would only apply to pirates on the ship, of course.

Being able to work on the boat if there's a swordfight going on you're not part of. It can get pretty boring waiting for the fight to end...

Grayson
[Jan 11, 2003 2:44:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

In Response Reply to this Post

I agree with the first point, but disagree with the latter - the ability for large crews to deliberatley have LESS people fighting in order to keep some working on deck (in order to patch the holes and prepare it for the NEXT fight, for example, or re-load cannons) would give them an even more distinct advantage than they already have (by having more people to start with).

I say: if you're knocked out of a fight, you can watch. That's it. Your own fault for getting whupped. Swordfights - even 8 on 8 ones - don't last that long anyway.
----------------------------------------
Ava
[Jan 12, 2003 1:28:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Re: Sea battles swordfighting features Reply to this Post

Like Ava I would agree with the option of observing a swordfight. Actually that would be nice in all kinds of swordfights, perhaps with a consent checkbox incase you don't want to reveal your strategy. But it would be a neat way to "train" new pirates in the art of swordfighting.

As for working when you're out of the fight, I would have to say no as well. I did list it in my xmas wishlist, but later realized that it's not too realistic when you're supposed to be beaten/injured. It would be nice however to return to deck and later observe if you want.
As for fights not being too long, well that's not always true, our notorious ScurvyJake once held off two NPPs for 45mins while the rest of us did laundry and ate dinner etc. The man was a machine, but it was also kinda boring to have to wait that long.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 12, 2003 3:47:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I think you SHOULD be able to work during the battle, once you're out. Being able to work while the fight's still raging is no more unrealistic than going back to work after a short fight -- you're still supposed to be "injured" or something. I think that would interfere with playability, to have any sort of enforced recovery time. As for it being an advantage for larger crews . . . well, YES. It is. It's one of the reasons to join a large crew. A small crew can hire NPP's and have a numbers advantage as much as anyone else; having defeated PP's be able to do something other than sit around is a reason to have a PP crew. They can chat while they bilge or whatever. I don't think watching a swordfight in progress is enough of a "thing to do" once you're beaten . . . they can still go on for a long, long time. I don't find watching them all that interesting, especially if I have the misfortune to be knocked out before the toughest opponents are; I know it will be a long fight. Scurvyjake's accomplishment, while rare, has set a precedent for enforced extended lazing about in the rest of the crew. I would not want to log in with an hour of my free time and HAVE to spend 45 minutes of it waiting for a swordfight to end, not being able to puzzle without logging out and in again.
[Jan 12, 2003 4:05:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

I'd like if a name/colourcode showed me exactly which pirate(s) are targetting me in a battle.
That way I know who to target and it'll provide more satisfaction in beating them.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jan 14, 2003 10:27:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I agree with knowing who's targeting you... this would be a way of knowing how good your opponents are... So if someone is dropping massive amounts of blocks on you, you can gang up on them to knock them out early.

It would also be nice to specify who the NPP's on your ship are against.. too many times you have to change strategy to work with who the NPP's are fighting against.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 15, 2003 1:26:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Working and Ganking Reply to this Post

Arr! Well I don't know about working on the ship while you're in battle. It's a tricky one -- wouldn't be hard to do... but it would give a decided advantage to big crews. I have considered reducing the amount of damage/bilge that fills up during boarding, but I think this ultimately would just reduce the purpose of those puzzles...

For swordfighting we have agreed that an idea of who's shafting you and how much would be good; we had thought to include little blades next to the person attacking you when they queued up strikes. However, bear in mind that we are considering preventing more than 2/3 pirates attacking one, at least when there are other people around to fight (having everyone pile on at the end-game seems reasonable, whereas the all-on-one elimination technique seems a little unbalanced).

- capn C.
[Jan 15, 2003 11:07:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I think you should leave it as is... or maybe make npp's a little smarter so that if everyone is ganging up on them, have them take it a little slower (as all the PP's do already) I can hold off lots of people for a long time while the other members of the crew whittles them down two or more at a time. It's a losing strategy to gang up... provided the counter to it is known.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 15, 2003 12:52:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Well the advantage for larger crews should already be balanced with the bilge building up much faster than smaller ships I would think?

Limiting players to 2 or 3 against an opponent, you might introduce separating players into good swordfighters and not-so-good, since some NPPs are so hard that even 3 players can have a hard time against one, so the leader of that group would have to call out who are the good ones and who aren't. That's a factor that the game so far has worked around perfectly I think. Everyone can get in fresh and not be a burden.

How about making some simple NPP AI tactics, like if one player has over a certain % blocks they will gang up on you. Or they switch around depending on how well players are doing. Or target the weakest player from the start. Same as most players use. I do agree that it is too easy right now.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jan 15, 2003 12:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Something I've noticed.

When the NPP's gang up on me - which they've been doing a lot lately, the bastards ;) - I take it slow waiting for my fellow pirates to reduce their numbers.
But even after we've beaten the last one and not dots are next to me, sword after sword still keeps raining down on me like I'm fighting 2 or 3 or someone very good.
How can that be?
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jan 15, 2003 6:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

NPP Battles Reply to this Post

We are definitely going to be putting a bit more intelligence behind the NPP behaviour... it'll be a nice surprise for you.

Re; shafts appearing after an NPP is dead, it's because only one blow is applied for each new pair of pieces you receive, so in a case where lots of folk are attacking you the blows queue up. This is behind the efficiency of the 'slow drop' technique.

-- Cleaver
[Jan 16, 2003 3:31:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Cleaver Be Right Reply to this Post

I agree entirely with Cleaver and his ideas. 3-on-1 should be a maximum if and ONLY IF there is nobody else to attack (so if your seven knocks down thier seven to one without losing a single man, you should still be able to swamp the last one so people don't get bored). And I've always thought it would be great to know who was attacking me.

I'd also like to know who's attacking somebody else: if an enemy ship puts three men against one of our best fighters, I'd really love to know who those three men are, so we can prioritise and knock them out first.

Swordfighting in a group has a lot more strategy to it than many people first realise. The Dragons will be discussing this at length soon. =o)
Ava
[Jan 16, 2003 3:40:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates