• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3864 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Oneequalstwo

Sloop raffle!

Hey all! Trying to raise some funds and I've got a sloop I don't necessarily need, so the logical answer is a raffle!

The drawing will occur after a week (regardless of how many tickets are sold), if at least 50 tickets are sold. Otherwise, it will remain open until then.

The actual drawing will occur in what will hopefully be an exciting and fair way. Everyone who bought a ticket will be welcome to submit one number between 1 and 200. The winner will be chosen by cycling the list of names around until the sum of the numbers is reached.

Confusing? Here's a simple example. Say Person A bought 50 tickets, Person B bought 30 tickets, and Person C bought 20 tickets for a total of 100 tickets (obviously nobody would do that, but for an example :P). Person A submits 37, Person B submits 12, and Person C submits 126. Summing these numbers gives 175, so the 75th ticket, or Person B, would win. If Person C submitted 41 instead, the sum would be 90, and Person C would win.

In this way, since I can't record a drawing for several reasons, all participants can be satisfied of both fairness and participation.

To buy a ticket, either post below and then seek me out in-game, or seek me out in-game first (IGN is Twoequalsone). The money will go both to my personal funds and to my awesome flag.

Tickets:
44. Queenbeez
104. Queenbeez

You may ask questions, complain, rant, or buy tickets below :)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Oneequalstwo at Jun 20, 2011 3:53:14 PM]
[Jun 20, 2011 12:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicolas_hop

Re: Sloop raffle!

What's the price of one ticket?
Natacha on the Hunter Ocean.
Captain of 'The Mystery Fleet'

[Jun 20, 2011 12:55:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

Hm, somehow forgot that :P

2k for one ticket.
[Jun 20, 2011 12:57:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Koujo2

Where to buy one?
Captianknuck
[Jun 20, 2011 1:05:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

Either post which number you like and then seek me out in-game (I'm online now), or the other way around.
[Jun 20, 2011 1:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

Some more details, since this is probably a bit confusing:

I will take the sum of the numbers, and subtract the number of tickets however many times is necessary (For those who understand this, it's the sum of the numbers modulo the number of tickets). The winner is whoever holds that ticket.

The ticket numbers will be compressed if necessary; for example if ticket numbers 1, 4, 9, 16, and 25 are bought, they will be given numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 respectively after tickets are sold. In this way we ensure that we don't end up with a blank ticket being the winner.

First tickets bought:

44. Queenbeez
104. Queenbeez

EDIT: I also suggest giving me your number when you buy the ticket, otherwise you risk not getting to submit a number, if that is important to you.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Oneequalstwo at Jun 20, 2011 4:01:39 PM]
[Jun 20, 2011 3:52:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

Trying to make this clear: Steps:

- Either post in thread or tell me in-game which numbers you want. Ticket numbers will be compressed to avoid blank tickets at the end if necessary.

- If posted in thread, meet up with me in-game to pay for tickets (2k/ticket)

- At some point, preferrably sooner than later, send me a tell in-game with your number. These numbers will be added and then taken in modulo to determine the winning ticket

- I will meet with the winner in-game to give them their sloop.

- The drawing will commence in one week, unless 50 tickets havn't been sold at that time in which case the drawing will commence either after 50 tickets are sold or after 3 weeks, whichever comes first.

- Details on "compressing": The lowest number will be assigned ticket 1, the next lowest ticket 2, and so on. This is to avoid picking a blank ticket.

- Details on submitting secret numbers: Everyone who buys a ticket has the opportunity to submit a secret number. At the drawing period, I will sum all the submitted numbers and take it modulo n, where n is the number of tickets. Basically this means I will subtract n from the sum of the numbers enough times to get a number between 1 and n, to determine the winning ticket.

- Money raised will go to myself, along with a likely donation to The Swarm, my awesome flag.

Any other questions, comments, etc. welcome.
[Jun 20, 2011 4:14:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bethieboo

Posting new threads in the wrong forums doesn't help advertise in your favor, it just annoys people.
Sera/phie

Yassenn says, "you'd be surprised, i made this really cool spreadsheet a week or two ago"

Avi by Wayfarer
[Jun 22, 2011 6:18:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

I've got a sloop I don't necessarily need, so the logical answer is a raffle!

The drawing will occur after a week (regardless of how many tickets are sold), if at least 50 tickets are sold.
(drawing will commence either after 50 tickets are sold or after 3 weeks, whichever comes first. )

You may ask questions, complain, rant, or buy tickets below :)
:) ..

Hey folks! This is professor HB, currently unemployed, spicing up the interwebz with rad math problems.

So let's see.
Indeed, what a joyous way for a raffle, which is just equally as awesome, to be...raffled!

Now then, I spotted several flaws in your post, so here I am, ready to solve them =]]]]

Point 1)

I've got a sloop I don't necessarily need, so the logical answer is a raffle!

No :)...

Point 2)

The drawing will occur after a week (regardless of how many tickets are sold), if at least 50 tickets are sold. Otherwise, it will remain open until then.

Now, I may not be a grammar teach, but I do know my way around stupidity! Can you also spot the obvious flaw?

Point 3)
I can't go on without introducing a complex mathematics/algebra problem, so here goes.
Your username. Oneequalstwo.
Let's go by steps.

Oneequalstwo <> 1 = 2
Sloop price = x
x = 40k
Minimum tickets = y
y = 50
Ticket price = 2k

So, if Yx2> x, Oneequalstwo = Scammer ): ..
If Yx2 < or = x, Oneequalstwo doesn't make justice to his name.

About the username now,
Oneequalstwo

2(minimumticketssoldtosetraffleoff=50) = price
= 100k!

(sloopprice)1= 40k

THEN! Bear with me here!...

(sloopprice)2= 80k

80k =/= 100k!

Your name is the sweetest irony, Oneequalstwo!

I hope you got all that folks :)

Class dismissed.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Jun 22, 2011 7:34:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunorder

You realise that every single flag fund raiser, unless run ignorantly is the same way, just with a larger capital and larger profit? Obviously he is just trying to make a quick buck and he is annoying me by posting in all the different sections, but this isn't exactly a rare occurrence, are you saying all flags that have done this are 'scammers'?
Izawesome

Royal of -Tenacity-

RWJ.
[Jun 22, 2011 8:12:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

You realise that every single flag fund raiser, unless run ignorantly is the same way, just with a larger capital and larger profit? Obviously he is just trying to make a quick buck and he is annoying me by posting in all the different sections, but this isn't exactly a rare occurrence, are you saying all flags that have done this are 'scammers'?

No, are you saying you can't read a post and immediately jump to conclusions?
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Jun 22, 2011 8:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunorder

Because it takes all of two seconds to see what you were actually trying to prove in the post, and if it isn't what you were implying, your whole post made no sense.
Izawesome

Royal of -Tenacity-

RWJ.
[Jun 22, 2011 8:28:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

Because it takes all of two seconds to see what you were actually trying to prove in the post, and if it isn't what you were implying, your whole post made no sense.

Okay folks, professor HB is back, and this time, he's playing the common sense denominator in a argumenet with someone who was forsaken the use of logic.

ONEEQUALSTWO =/= FLAG.

Thanks,
class dismissed.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hurtboss4 at Jun 22, 2011 9:05:48 PM]
[Jun 22, 2011 9:05:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krnasaur

I understood completely. What he meant, is why are we going to line this kids pockets with 100K poe, never once did he mention his flag/crew/alliance/group that poe should go to. He can make poe the hard way like the rest of us.

Usually in raffles you want the value of the pot to be at most 2x of the item value for a fundraising raffle. This is a minimum of 2.5x the value of the sloop just to line this kids pockets.
Weiner/Weinz

lotsofgoats says

Weiner for president!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by krnasaur at Jun 22, 2011 11:46:36 PM]
[Jun 22, 2011 11:45:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

I will respond to all of your very thoughtful and kind comments:

a) In my opening post, I specifically stated that funds would go to my flag, The Swarm.
b) Obviously the point of a raffle is to raise funds, it would make no sense to do so if I was losing money, yes?
c) I was not sure what forum to post this in, this falls under both "Events" and "Bazaar", and "Parley" is also defendable.
[Jun 24, 2011 9:29:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

I will also note that since there seems to be a need to take my username and assume this leads to a direct mathematical claim, I will also note that

1=2
1+1=2+1
2=3
1=3
40k*3=120k
2k*50=100k
120k>100k
[Jun 24, 2011 9:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inframan8

120k>100k

I would not have known this unless you pointed it out.
Inframan
Super Retired.
Newest!
Loathe says, "Infra is carp god."
[Jun 24, 2011 9:38:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krnasaur

hey uhh... 1=/=2
Weiner/Weinz

lotsofgoats says

Weiner for president!

[Jun 25, 2011 8:43:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MSpartans

hey uhh... 1=/=2

2+2=5!
Searching for Black CI Trinks

Huntard
Aug 12, 2011
Av by Diagram
[Jun 25, 2011 10:13:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

@Infra: lol, I was responding to the person who was making the argument that 80k<100k.

Honestly guys, if you don't like the format, don't participate, but please refrain from spamming and complaining. It's not cool.

It also amazes me how many people seem to think that my username is something I think is a serious mathematical fact rather than a joke.

The raffle will be canceled if 20 tickets aren't sold anyway.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Oneequalstwo at Jun 25, 2011 12:53:13 PM]
[Jun 25, 2011 12:52:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krnasaur

god forbid you break even on the raffle.
Weiner/Weinz

lotsofgoats says

Weiner for president!

[Jun 25, 2011 1:33:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

@Infra: lol, I was responding to the person who was making the argument that 80k<100k.

Honestly guys, if you don't like the format, don't participate, but please refrain from spamming and complaining. It's not cool.

It also amazes me how many people seem to think that my username is something I think is a serious mathematical fact rather than a joke.

The art of trolling serves the mui noble purpose of confuzzling peoplez. It has been successful.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Jun 25, 2011 2:42:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oneequalstwo

So the point of a raffle is to lose money? At least pretend like you have some idea what you are talking about... what do you think a fundraiser is?
[Jun 25, 2011 6:31:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krnasaur

So the point of a raffle is to lose money? At least pretend like you have some idea what you are talking about... what do you think a fundraiser is?

ok.

value of a sloop:32K-38K

20 tickets: 40K

therefore 20 tickets> 1 sloop

therefore 1=/=2

When people do box auctions and events 90% of the time they loose money. not that long ago i gave away my skellie sloop (100K) and 20K in 2nd and 3rd place prize money. Its not about making money every time, its about having fun... FUNdraiser. Its in the name
Weiner/Weinz

lotsofgoats says

Weiner for president!

[Jun 25, 2011 6:38:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hurtboss4

The point is, when a fundraiser is supposed to raise funds, it's usually in a less than fashionable way, wasting time for both parties involved.
In the time you've been defending your stupid logic here, you could have made 100k+ Pillaging.
And, scene.
*lights out*
[Jun 25, 2011 6:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates