• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 288
Posts: 288   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19771 times and has 287 replies Next Thread
Dylan

[Discussion] [CONTEST] Island Metropolis: Due 4/22 Reply to this Post

Since the main thread is intended for entries, and I have a non-entry type of thing to say, I thought I'd create another thread to say things like the following:

Wootles!

Ok, more seriously, I may go for this. My questions:

Does one of each type of building mean one shoppe and one bazaar of each type? A fort and a palace?

Dylan
[Apr 5, 2005 6:34:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: [Discussion] [CONTEST] Island Metropolis: Due 4/22 Reply to this Post

I had a question about the "full ship rename" prize...
Does that mean any name? Even if it was denied before, not cause it was offensive, just cause it was ugly...
Cause if this is my gateway to getting the Shippopotamus I may spend night and day designing...
[Apr 5, 2005 6:49:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Triumvirete

Dylan wrote: 
Does one of each type of building mean one shoppe and one bazaar of each type? A fort and a palace?

I was wondering if shady vs Non Shady counts as the same building, or different ones, myself.
----------------------------------------
--Aelesaia
[Apr 5, 2005 8:27:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    aelesaia [Link]  Go to top 
Zava

Question about the editor:

When I first opened it, I was able to fix the rendering properties if there was a yellow blotch. I changed it to Outdoor and started playing around (but more serious-like), and now I cannot fix the overlaps. What did I do wrong?
Zava, Obsidian & Sage.
Vodoodude tells ye, "wow yer a life saver"
[Apr 5, 2005 8:35:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZavaIsALifesaver/ [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

That shouldn't have changed anything. Are you right-clicking on the problem areas, or using the middle icon function and left-clicking on things?
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 5, 2005 8:39:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Dylan wrote: 

It's a metropolis. One of every image under the "buildings" heading. So, two of each shoppe, one of each bazaar, ten total housing structures, two palaces, two inns, a fort, two estate agents, two banks, two furnishers and a consignment shoppe.
If your island gets too big to run an overview shot, you may try a friend with more memory.

xephin wrote: 
Does that mean any name? Even if it was denied before, not cause it was offensive, just cause it was ugly...

It does not overrule previous decisions. But it is a full rename, so it doesn't have to be adjective + fish.
[Apr 5, 2005 8:40:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zava

Middle click is supposed to let me fix it, right? No effect... Left click places and right click deletes. The scrollwheel also works to scroll through availaible choices.

edit:
I've tried it on all three modes - the placement mode (as above), the edit mode (where it should work, right?), and the arrow.
Zava, Obsidian & Sage.
[Apr 5, 2005 8:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZavaIsALifesaver/ [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Yeah, middle click, sorry (I'm at work, can't check my info here heh)
In edit mode, though, left click should select it.

One thing to watch out for is what you're ACTUALLY selecting--sometimes it's a little weird.

You should see a green or red highlighted box surrounding the object that the editor thinks you're pointing at. Sometimes, if you've got a LOT of things heaped around, it stubbornly chooses ground tiles, which you can't change, so it looks like nothing's happening.

Try moving your mouse around to make sure you're selecting the item you actually want to adjust (i.e. just because your mouse is over it doesn't mean that's what's gonna be selected when you click).
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 5, 2005 8:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zava

Hey, look at that! I'm wee todd ed.
Thanks so much :)
Zava, Obsidian & Sage.
[Apr 5, 2005 8:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZavaIsALifesaver/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

are we allowed to post pre-submission pics here for advice?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Apr 5, 2005 10:41:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Ingvild

I would encourage it. As I said elsewhere, do a draft and give yourself some time away. Then come back to it fresh and ready to tackle problems you didn't see the first time around.
Yngvild
[Apr 5, 2005 12:27:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Gloraelin wrote: 

Absolutely.
[Apr 5, 2005 1:55:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ajmarco

Are we allowed to put docks, paths, and other island improvements?
-Spotty
Captain - Hell Hath No Fury
Prince of Riot

[Apr 5, 2005 2:34:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

ajmarco wrote: 

I would expect nothing less from a Metropolis!
[Apr 5, 2005 3:17:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Rubby wrote: 
ajmarco wrote: 

I would expect nothing less from a Metropolis!

[Apr 6, 2005 12:57:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apprenta

Stop quoting Rubby, Nemo dear. You'll start making yourself look bad. :D

Anyhow... In terms of island size itself, are we looking at somewhere around the size of Eta? I need a good idea of where to start with Safety Harbor, as I have ideas but need to rearrange things for a metropolis...
Apprenta, Damsel of the Emerald Raiders
Current Cynpoints: n+1
[Apr 6, 2005 3:16:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Apprenta wrote: 
In terms of island size itself, are we looking at somewhere around the size of Eta?

Eta is actually too big for use in the game. But for this contest, I don't care. As long as you can get an overview image of it, it's legal.
[Apr 6, 2005 3:27:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apprenta

Working from that prespective will make it easier, thanks.

But I'll consider making a smaller variant of Saftey Harbor for actual use, if it comes to that.
Apprenta, Damsel of the Emerald Raiders
Current Cynpoints: n+1
[Apr 6, 2005 3:45:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Nemo wrote: 

Eta is actually too big for use in the game. But for this contest, I don't care. As long as you can get an overview image of it, it's legal.

Ooo. Um. You mean an overview any way we can, not just using the in-tool utility, right? (I hope.)

Unrelated to anything else, this is tons of fun. I just spent an hour designing a manor's backyard! And then I realized what I should have done, so I'm going to spend probably another hour doing just that!

I may never design something of outstanding beauty, but I sure am going to have a good time trying.

(Although it certainly does bring out the OCD in me. Do you have any idea how long I've spent fussing over "Beach Rocky"? Or how next-to-impossible it is to use this on a 15" monitor?)
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Apr 6, 2005 4:58:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Apprenta wrote: 
But I'll consider making a smaller variant of Saftey Harbor for actual use, if it comes to that.

I wouldn't worry much over it. It's unlikely it would be usable without serious overhauling.
[Apr 6, 2005 5:15:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Adrianuk

What buildings can we only build one of? and do we still need to black both sady and fine images of them?
[Apr 6, 2005 5:18:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://adrianhardy.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Adrianuk wrote: 
What buildings can we only build one of? and do we still need to black both sady and fine images of them?

For this contest, you can have as many of any of the buildings as you want, but you have to have at least one shady and one fine of each.
Nemo wrote: 
It's a metropolis. One of every image under the "buildings" heading. So, two of each shoppe, one of each bazaar, ten total housing structures, two palaces, two inns, a fort, two estate agents, two banks, two furnishers and a consignment shoppe.

[Apr 6, 2005 5:27:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Adrianuk

Nemo wrote: 
Adrianuk wrote: 

For this contest, you can have as many of any of the buildings as you want, but you have to have at least one shady and one fine of each.
Nemo wrote: 

Oops, missed that.
[Apr 6, 2005 5:35:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://adrianhardy.com [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Oh, REALLY? No maximum # of buildings? Hmm, maybe I will try this after all.
[Apr 6, 2005 7:30:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Nemo wrote: 
It's a metropolis.

look, up in the sky! it's a bird! it's a plane! ...it's.... a new island?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Apr 6, 2005 8:31:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
bokodasu

Most of my questions were rhetorical, but I really did want an answer to this one:

bokodasu wrote: 
Ooo. Um. You mean an overview any way we can, not just using the in-tool utility, right? (I hope.)

so I know if I have to scrap this behemoth known as "island" or not...
[size=9]Tomyris, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Bonnie, Octafish Dream, Viridian
[Apr 6, 2005 11:27:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

hmm... Roadways, heavy traffic, ---

OHH, have I got an idea.

Gotta check the "boats" available on land...

EDIT: Yep. Now, walkable...
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 6, 2005 11:44:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Walkability. A pirate has to be able to get to all exposed ground tiles. Pirates cannot walk through any objects, or between them if they are placed diagonally.

No roped off areas? No private backyards on the mansions?

Oh -- is there any sort of "walkable bridge" in there? I want to be able to cross a river.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 6, 2005 12:05:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

I'd go with a "if it looks like you should be able to walk there, then you should be able to walk there"

And if you want to cross rivers, you have to get creative with your choice of ground tile or the objects around it. There is no walkable water
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Apr 6, 2005 1:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

bokodasu wrote: 
bokodasu wrote: 

so I know if I have to scrap this behemoth known as "island" or not...

Just show us an overview. However you can get it.

Skal wrote: 
I'd go with a "if it looks like you should be able to walk there, then you should be able to walk there"

And if you want to cross rivers, you have to get creative with your choice of ground tile or the objects around it. There is no walkable water

Correct.
[Apr 6, 2005 1:10:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 288   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates