• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 107
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11391 times and has 106 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

[Fin] Island Metropolis: Due 4/22 Reply to this Post

This is a contest using the Yohoho Scene Editor. It is open to everyone.

The Challenge:
  • ]Design an island metropolis that beautifully integrates the man-made and the natural. Basics, Advanced Tips[/list:u:4594af6630]

Minimum Criteria:
    • ]Setup:
      • ]Name your island in the Scene Name box.
      • ]Place a single port arrow facing out to sea, and name it "port" (no quotes).
      • ]Set your scene type to "outdoor."[/list:u:4594af6630]
      • ]Use at least one of every type of building.
      • ]Walkability. A pirate has to be able to get to all exposed ground tiles. Pirates cannot walk through any objects, or between them if they are placed diagonally.
      • ]No winking. Too many objects piled on top of each other often results in perspective conflicts that make the scene "wink." Choose an object and scrub your cursor over your scene. If any of your objects wink in front and behind each other, you need to remove some. Look to the Winking Wall on Ice for an example of this.
      • ]Good ground tiles. Look at nearly any island in Cobalt and Viridian for good examples, and Yngvild's tip thread for specific advice.
      • ]Naturalism. Make it look like the island could conceivably exist in the real world. This doesn't mean it can't be shaped like something. But it must be a convincingly natural island first.[/list:u:4594af6630]
        Above and Beyond:
        • ]Topography. Make the island look like it has volume. Be careful you don't get too daring and ruin some of the other criteria.
        • ]Explorability. Give me a reason to walk somewhere. A little glade with cords of wood and a cutter's axe; a boat pulled up on the shore with a book and some limes; little vignettes.
        • ]Originality. Without violating other criteria, can you use the materials in an interesting way? Can you do something new that nobody's done? Can you do it better?
        • ]Theme. Can I see a cohesive theme play out through the island? Do all the little vignettes add up to a history of its people? Does it have a visual theme? Stylistic?[/list:u:4594af6630]
          Submission Post the following in this thread:
          • ]The name of the island.
          • ]The name of your pirate.
          • ]A snapshot of your island overview.
          • ]The full XML file of the island.
          • ]A description in 30 words or less.
          • ]Nothing else.[/list:u:4594af6630]
            Prizes:
            • ]Grand Prize:
              • ]Single gold, X article of clothing, your choice.
              • ]Full ship rename, your choice.
              • ]Join the island designers to build the next ocean.[/list:u:4594af6630]
              • ]Runners Up:
                • ]X, gold tricorne
                • ]Join the island designers to build the next ocean.[/list:u:4594af6630][/list:u:4594af6630]
                  Restrictions:
                  Existing island designers are encouraged to enter, but are ineligible for the Grand Prize.

Due: end of 4/22, Midnight PST

Good luck!
                  ----------------------------------------
                  [Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemo at Apr 5, 2005 5:52:43 AM]
[Apr 5, 2005 5:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: [Fin] Island Metropolis: Due 4/22 Reply to this Post

Enter as many times as you like. One win per entrant. Discussion
[Apr 5, 2005 8:46:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Sounds fun Reply to this Post

Sounds fun Is there a maxiumum amount of entries?
thanks

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Apr 11, 2005 11:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Nemo wrote: 
Enter as many times as you like. One win per entrant. Discussion

-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Apr 11, 2005 11:44:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superducky

it wouldnt let me download and run it... it said it was missing somthing... hmmm
[Apr 12, 2005 10:48:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Look here if you are having problems with the software.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 12, 2005 11:04:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Buckler

COOL!!! Reply to this Post

Thats soo cool!
Problem #1 its not working on my computer
lol
~:~Sage!~:~

Fleet Officer of the crew For the Poes!
Member of the flag Something Wicked

IN memory of the loss of a wonderful crew and a flag...
Mercenaries from Hell
Random

of
[Apr 13, 2005 4:27:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

The instructions have been updated to be more readable for folks who don't tend to delve deep into the innards of their computers, so try again.

Also, if you continue to have problems, please follow up to the thread there, because we don't check this forum as much.

Thanks!
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Apr 13, 2005 4:45:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snake00

Island: Port Royale
Alt: Benefit

Description Included With The Xml File...

Ye Click Here To Download
[Apr 15, 2005 1:50:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouflon

Island: Asteria
Pirate Name : Mouflon

http://www.foliocity.co.uk/kolonia
Asteria is greek for stars....and my island looks a bit like a star so thought...hey good name...
The initial concept was to create an island that was quite deserted and since alot of the islands i've seen are pack up i thought this would be an nice 'community island...as it contains three squares in it...

hope you like it

Mouflon
--------
architect in motion

edited: oh: its suppose to be a dead metropolis....if you are wondering how that ties in and offers alot of oppurtunity for development. Also will take other issues into consideration and resubmit...cheers
Mouflon in Viridian Ocean
Vollo in Sage Ocean
Mouf along over!!! architect in motion!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by mouflon at Apr 15, 2005 11:28:51 PM]
[Apr 15, 2005 11:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.foliocity.com [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

It's a nice island, but remember, this contest is the Island Metropolis contest.

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem inhabited enough to be considered a metropolis (unless you're going by the 1000 BCE definition, where a town of 100 people was huge ;-)

That's why you've noticed that other folks are posting "packed up" islands :-)

Also, remember that
Nemo wrote: 
Use at least one of every type of building.

is one of the rules of the contest. If you find you can't do it without destroying your idea of the island, I might suggest you take the island to the Beat the Champs thread, where any island is acceptable.

Good luck!
[Apr 16, 2005 12:49:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouflon

Aye...np as you can see this is my first attempt at this...so will take everything into consideration....I was just wondering about the other buildings...that would be all in game buildings so not including lets say construction yard and stuff?
Vollo in Sage Ocean
[Apr 16, 2005 1:22:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.foliocity.com [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Correct, so you're looking at about 42 buildings, at least.

Also remember that these islands aren't expected to be put into the game as real islands, so many of the usual island design rules are tossed out. So while your current idea of a "once great city, now in disrepair" is a good one, it's not exactly what Nemo's looking for here. (It's REALLY hard to fit 42 buildings on a game-sized island without it looking really crowded)
[Apr 16, 2005 2:33:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

Island: Tyronis
Pirate: Trega

http://www.geocities.com/cjpadcp/Tyronis.zip

The Inhabitants of this island are strategists and highly skilled in war. They keep their treasures in open view, daring anyone to try and take it.
[Apr 16, 2005 1:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouflon

Island: Faraday Island
Pirate: Mouflon

Thats a neat looking island Santrega!

This is my second attempt at an island a bit more controlled but the concept is derived from urban planning of the poor side of town to the rich...The main 'government buildings are losely central surrounded by the rich and famous...then the outcasts to the south who have leached onto the city for protection. Low on minerals it depicts the ideology of the city sucking in resources from adjacent islands.

http://www.foliocity.co.uk/faraday.xml

oh i am going to keep the island Asteria on this link although its not a metropolis but as an artistic expression of the city that once was...:) If i have time i will fill it up with buildings and resubmit it but i rather work on concept 3...very exciting stuff....stay tuned.
Vollo in Sage Ocean
[Apr 16, 2005 8:38:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.foliocity.com [Link]  Go to top 
TomiMaam

Island Editor Reply to this Post

I have tried several times to download the editor and keep getting the message that there is a missing component. How do I find out what it is and get it so that I can use the editor?

Thanks Tomi
[Apr 16, 2005 11:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sseth

emerson wrote: 
Look here if you are having problems with the software.

Sseth

Frootloot, my short YPP animation film
[Apr 17, 2005 12:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

Island: Artanon

http://www.geocities.com/cjpadcp/Artanon.zip

This island is full of Well-Organized pirates who love to fight, as well as party on the beach with their rum and cannons.
[Apr 17, 2005 12:32:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
prettypetal

My first Island Reply to this Post

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/barefeet/heartbreak.png

Island Name: Heartbreak
Pirate Name: Riviaira
Description: On the western side the lower class, the southern part is the merchant class, a fort lays at the enterance to the Upper Class in the east.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/barefeet/heartbreak.xml (Right Click and Save Target As heartbreak.xml )

Thank You
Riviaira of the Colbalt Ocean
Diplomat of Rum Rats
Princess of Glorious Bounty
Captian of the Destestable Pollack
[Apr 17, 2005 1:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/barefeet    prettypetalgirl    Destinyofisis [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Karlie

Island Name: Shark Island
Pirate Name: Bronos

This Island is a half jungle half man made with some wildlife thrown in.

Download Here
It shuld work

http://www.freewebs.com/runecollege/shark%20isle%202
[Apr 17, 2005 6:47:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Again, please note: this is a metropolis contest. Please re-read the rules and be sure you meet the basic criteria.
[Apr 18, 2005 1:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goshawk

metropolis entry Reply to this Post

Island name: Ankh
Pirate name: Shawk

Description: Ankh, a freeport founded by a mysterious piratess who stressed good business over affiliations. Central to several successful trade routes and does brisk business in ship repair/resupply.

http://monki.geemus.com/PuzzlePirates/ankh.xml
[Apr 20, 2005 10:06:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Karlie

Island Name : Utopia Isle
Pirate Name : Karlie

Utopia Isle is well known for its herb, sugarcane and hemp farms.
Utopians are peaceful traders but if prevoked will defend their homelands fiercely.

Download Here

http://www.freewebs.com/runecollege/Utopia%20Isle%202
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lady_Karlie

Island Name : Isle of the "Dead"

Pirate Name : Bronos

This is a half man, half nature island with a stone wall around in certain spots to protect against enemies if they come. It is based on a deck and has gaps to allow fauna to dwell.

http://www.freewebs.com/runecollege/isle%20of%20the%20dead
[Apr 20, 2005 5:25:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
santrega

Island: Tele Isle

http://www.geocities.com/cjpadcp/Teleisle.zip

Lookin fer some real pirates? Dial 1-800-PIRATES and this island is where your call will go ;-)
[Apr 20, 2005 9:08:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tiefblau

Island: Akora
Pirate: Escal

XML file of the island.

An island city built on some rock outcrops with large sandbank. Market road connects symmetrically built, prosperous upper city with port. Not so prosperous lower city sprawling on the sandbank. ;)
[Apr 21, 2005 7:14:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karsh

Island: Boardwalk Island
Pirate: Karsh

A small island with a metropolis based on the large dock extending from it. Home to many shady pirates. (Some extra water in preview deleted with Photoshop.)

XML: http://www.geocities.com/karshwins/boardwalkisland.zip
Karsh -Hunter-
Captain of the crew The Salty Mouthfuls
King of the flag Pirates of the Blackmast
[Apr 21, 2005 9:14:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Karsh+on+Toast [Link]  Go to top 
zelaph

Island: Tosten
Pirate: Ellie

A large island with several diffrent districts, each with something diffrent to offer.

XML: Tosten
[Apr 21, 2005 10:56:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
prettypetal

Secoind Island Reply to this Post

Island Name: Journey
Pirate Name: Riviaira

Journey from one side of this island to the other and discover all the secrets these pirates hold. From the Palaces, to the lowly homeless pirate shelter near the shipyards.

http://www.angelfire.com/barefeet/art2/journey.png

http://www.angelfire.com/barefeet/art2/journey.xml
Riviaira of the Colbalt Ocean
Diplomat of Rum Rats
Princess of Glorious Bounty
Captian of the Destestable Pollack
[Edit 1 times, last edit by prettypetal at Apr 21, 2005 12:43:40 PM]
[Apr 21, 2005 12:43:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.angelfire.com/art2/barefeet    prettypetalgirl    Destinyofisis [Link]  Go to top 
mouflon

Island Name: Faraday Isle
Pirate Name: Mouflon

http://www.foliocity.co.uk/faradayisle.xml

This is my second attempt at this island after the feedback I got from the other one
Vollo in Sage Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mouflon at Apr 22, 2005 12:42:09 AM]
[Apr 22, 2005 12:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.foliocity.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates