• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16183 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
Perenoel1

Steam Reply to this Post

Spiral knights was recently added to steam, and the population there seems to have tripled overnight. Judging by the way they energy prices(their version of dubs) were cut in half, I'm guessing that a ton of people paid actual money to start playing too.

Do you think there's any chance OOO will try to repeat this success with Puzzle Pirates?
----------------------------------------
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jun 16, 2011 12:52:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Re: Steam Reply to this Post

I'd love to see it happen, though I'm not sure the game would necessarily fit in with anything currently on Steam. For the most part games on Steam have an end goal, Puzzle Pirates, I think anyway, would be too open ended for most steam users to play for any length of time. I might be underestimating the Steam community of course, they may enjoy a more relaxed open ended puzzle game, it would certainly surprise me though.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jun 16, 2011 1:11:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

I think the free to play aspect would draw a bit of a crowd, at least at 1st. As for keeping them, well... one step at a time.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Jun 16, 2011 1:23:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

There are plenty of strategy titles on Steam, and of course they're always promoting Team Fortress and Left 4 Dead. Those aren't play-and-forget games.
On hiatus. :(
[Jun 16, 2011 1:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

The most criminal thing about OOO marketing is that a quick look at the Spiral Knights Facebook page and not one mention of Y!PP on it. Exactly the same on the homepage of the game. A mention of OOO, but not Y!PP. If I were them I'd have atleast a banner somewhere on either of those pages promoting the game. It's basically free advertising space with exactly the right target market...

Team Fortress is more of a dip in/out game than Y!PP definately, however. I rock that game shizzle like Tzz rocks carpentry. D:

Steam is a great resource to contact PC gamers with, rather than console addicts which is why it is so effective. Hopefully OOO will be able to piggyback this game on top of Spiral Knights obvious success, but at the end of the day this is an outdated game compared to all the other engines that the new releases are coming out on..

It's best hope is trying to catch the "Rubix Cube" generation and "Tetris lovers" who come along for the fun of puzzling In my opinion, the fun of puzzling and solving puzzles is the games true USP and this is what I'd look to target.
Unfortunately blockading which is the best part of the game is inaccessible to a large proportion and therefore not worth shouting about.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Jun 16, 2011 3:37:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

The most criminal thing about OOO marketing is that a quick look at the Spiral Knights Facebook page and not one mention of Y!PP on it. Exactly the same on the homepage of the game. A mention of OOO, but not Y!PP. If I were them I'd have atleast a banner somewhere on either of those pages promoting the game. It's basically free advertising space with exactly the right target market...

We know absolutely jack shit about how OOO participated in co-developing Spiral Knights, and to what extent the company controls media associated with it. There could be contractual obligations that preclude advertising potentially competitive products, there could be a complete lack of creative control over media blitzes, various and sundry.

You can't just say "OH HURF A PRODUCT WITH THE OOO NAME, WHY IS PUZZLEPIRATES NOT MENTIONED??" The firm isn't just a homey basement operation any more, it's impossible to speculate about their arrangements with other companies that participate in their ventures.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Jun 17, 2011 11:59:46 AM]
[Jun 17, 2011 11:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Well then it shows the contempt that OOO have for Y!PP if they sign contractual obligations that stop them from advertising it on spiral knights homepage to any extent whatsoever. It would have been nice to have them have the foresight to ask about it etc, or atleast get confirmation of the situation on it and how much this game is worth to them. If all they are willing to do is use it as a training ground for future developers, then why not wind it down rather than live under the pretence that "We want this game to continue moving forward"?

I think the best bet for Y!PP is for OOO to be bought out by one of their partners (SEGA/ Whoever they make Dr.Who with) and therefore nullifying the contractual obligations that make Y!PP's expansion harder.

The latest GD thread is that of "How can we make Rogue Marks of more value so we can be more $_$. The one time a developer creates a thread in the last few months and this is what it concerns, rather than game improvement. If you want it to purely be a cash cow rather than a gaming experience, we need to be directly told so, or have more hints i.e. OOO telling us that they did not consider it in contractual obligations with SEGA. (Though to be fair, SEGA > OOO and therefore they have to be lead by it etc).

Other companies i.e. Jagex advertise spin off games as such from the main site, and it would be really nice for OOO to be able to use the Dr.Who game as a launchpad to send players over here.

It's nice to see the SK/Y!PP FaceBook pages have liked each other now? Hoorayyyyy!!!!!
Capablanca on Emerald
[Jun 17, 2011 12:47:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

To be fair, I don't see any mention of Spiral Knights on the YPP homepage, either. Both are linked on the OOO homepage.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Jun 17, 2011 3:53:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I can't even figure out how to add Y!PP to my own steam library. It would be nice for my friends to get the "Cire is playing Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates" message whenever I log on.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jun 19, 2011 8:04:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

You have friends play YPP log on?
[Jun 19, 2011 8:10:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Well... you know... if I *were* to log on. I've tried to add Y!PP to my Steam library, but it doesn't see to work for some reason. And I've been logging on again... sporadically... for like a week and a half now :P
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jun 19, 2011 9:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karnisov

Spiral Knights getting on Steam probably has something to do with the fact that Sega is publishing it. YPP is not being published by Sega, and I doubt OOO has enough influence with Valve to get listed on Steam. It can apparently be quite difficult to get your game listed on Steam if you're a small developer, according to cliffski of positech games.
Karnisov
flinging poo on the forums because its more fun than playing your broken game
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Karnisov at Jun 21, 2011 4:59:58 PM]
[Jun 21, 2011 4:57:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I think Spiral Knights and YPP are entirely different games and see no reason why the Facebook page for one should mention the other. Link back to OOO, sure. But why link directly to the other games?
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Jun 22, 2011 12:41:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I think Spiral Knights and YPP are entirely different games and see no reason why the Facebook page for one should mention the other. Link back to OOO, sure. But why link directly to the other games?

Erm, I don't use the Tome of Visages extensively, but it purports to work nets in a social manner.
[Jun 22, 2011 1:13:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

In my opinion, during marketing company association is an important thing and can be a good pull factor in gaining customers, and this needs to be utilised to the full extent.

For example, I would consider Sony predominanantly a "Electronics" brand, just as OOO is a game design company. Sony sell cameras, games consoles and multiple other electronic devices. None of these are related to any extent greater than the way OOO's video games are, but they still encourage consumers to buy from them because of the brand recognisation.

For instance, if I had bought a Sony TV that I was pleased with (Or played Spiral Knights, an OOO game that I enjoyed), if I was then shopping for a new camera, I might see the name "Sony" and go, "Oooh, I like the other electronics Sony make like the TV I own (or in our case, play a game that they enjoy), and therefore look to buy the Sony camera, (Or go on the play the OOO game.)

I agree with you, Spiral Knights and YPP are alien games in style, but they both have quite quirky non stereotypical type characteristics. Spiral Knights has a very cartoonish feel along with Y!PP. Having said that, this game even if they arrive here won't be everybodies style and I don't expect everybody that loves Spiral Knights will try this one out and get hooked. However, there is enough in common between the two products that a small percentage will stay, and that a small percentage might be tempted to spend money in the game. This is infact in Y!PP's interest, where in SK they will share the profits with Sega, as opposed to this game where they will be taking 100% of it.

As I posted earlier however, Sega would be against this diversion from their game by advertising Puzzle Pirates, and Y!PP would probably be against giving customers from their 100% market share towards a 40% share for example by going overboard with SK advertisment. I understand that Three Rings are up there with the gaming giant that is SEGA, who have created one of the most iconic gaming characters in Sonic and therefore do not have much leverage to dictate what they want. This is why I also posted earlier that in some ways a takeover would be nice to see, because they we can see a cohesive effort designed to benifit both games rather than background personal interests. Not an ideal world, unfortunately. Having said that there is a difference between having your name plastered all over the page, and enough of a compromise to give the subtle advertising that would make a difference to this game.
Capablanca on Emerald
[Jun 22, 2011 2:29:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

Erm, I don't use the Tome of Visages extensively, but it purports to work nets in a social manner.

If I go to the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups page, it mentions that it is owned by The Hershey Company but does not list any other Hershey products.
Similarly, PepsiCo's page lists the various brands under that company, but Mountain Dew's page does not appear to list Pepsi.

My point is that I think that it's not a grievous error on the point of OOO and I don't think that it necessarily has anything to do with the partnership with Sega.
Furthermore, several Three Rings endeavors are listed under "likes" for the Spiral Knights page.

Marketing beyond that on the Facebook page I personally think is inappropriate. *shrug*

Linking YPP to Steam would be a cool way to increase awareness of this game, if it were something that Three Rings could do.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Jun 22, 2011 4:46:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

You have friends play YPP log on?

HAHAHA Dylan owned you Cire <3
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jun 28, 2011 9:01:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kingnothing3

Please start advertising the game on websites like this. WE NEED MORE PLAYERS!!!

I believe more players on the oceans would really solve a lot of problems. I shouldnt be logging on to an MMORPG and see 400 players online. It takes the MM out of the MMORPG!
Kingnothing

I guess it's time for you to hate me again.
Lets begin now hand me the pen.
How should I begin it and where does it all end.
My medicine ball, your in my medicine ball friends.
[Jun 29, 2011 7:11:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shawe

YPP isn't my game - but if it was I know exactly what I'd be doing to fix the game's 1 burning problem and it wouldn't be steam but that's a great start. Of course, if it was my game I'd actually feed the golden goose instead of starve it - but that's a whole different story.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/advertising.aspx - do this.
Shawe - Greed is good.
"FIGHT CLUB!" Avatars by Shawe.
[Jun 29, 2011 7:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shawe [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Spiral knights was recently added to steam, and the population there seems to have tripled overnight. Judging by the way they energy prices(their version of dubs) were cut in half, I'm guessing that a ton of people paid actual money to start playing too.

Do you think there's any chance OOO will try to repeat this success with Puzzle Pirates?

Calling this a success may be premature.

June 15th: Daniel James tweets that Spiral Knights had over 11,000 players on Steam.

June 30th: After two weeks of near constant decline, peak concurrent number of players on Steam is now 5,611. (Number can and will change. Not valid in West Dakota. Talk to your doctor before starting a new flossing regimen.)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the number of Steam players decline some more (especially when September hits) but will eventually stabilize in the 2000-4000 range. Still, the whole Steam thing might just fizzle out to less than 1000 concurrent players before the year is out.
[Jun 30, 2011 8:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Calling this a success may be premature.

June 15th: Daniel James tweets that Spiral Knights had over 11,000 players on Steam.

June 30th: After two weeks of near constant decline, peak concurrent number of players on Steam is now 5,611. (Number can and will change. Not valid in West Dakota. Talk to your doctor before starting a new flossing regimen.)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the number of Steam players decline some more (especially when September hits) but will eventually stabilize in the 2000-4000 range. Still, the whole Steam thing might just fizzle out to less than 1000 concurrent players before the year is out.

That because Spiral Knights blows. No really, it does. There's so little diversity in what you do in that game, it's not a surprise that it has trouble retaining players. One you get all 5-star gear (which could be after a month of solid playing) and you're farming Vanaduke, what's left to do? I quit after about three weeks because there was just no diversity in what I was doing everyday.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Jul 1, 2011 1:29:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shawe

That because Spiral Knights blows. No really, it does. There's so little diversity in what you do in that game, it's not a surprise that it has trouble retaining players.

Brilliant.
Shawe - Greed is good.
"FIGHT CLUB!" Avatars by Shawe.
[Jul 2, 2011 6:49:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Shawe [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Spiral knights may soon see a large influx of players! Seananners is streaming it.
Priapus/Guantanamo
[Jul 10, 2011 5:32:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Ta daaa

http://www.threerings.net/jobs/job_productmarketingmanager.html
Capablanca on Emerald
[Jul 13, 2011 4:11:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Spiral knights may soon see a large influx of players! Seananners is streaming it.

Where?

Spiral Knights is still sliding down the Steam chart . It's not even in the top 20 at this moment. (Numbers can and will change. Consult your psychiatrist before any attempt to roller skate in a buffalo herd.)
[Jul 14, 2011 7:14:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

Where?

Spiral Knights is still sliding down the Steam chart . It's not even in the top 20 at this moment. (Numbers can and will change. Consult your psychiatrist before any attempt to roller skate in a buffalo herd.)

Is that chart steam users only, or players on a game you can download with steam? SeaNanners publicity will outreach to not just those with steam accounts, so it's unfair to say that his stream did not make a difference if indeed that is only what the graph is showing.
Capablanca on Emerald
[Jul 14, 2011 8:24:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Where?

Is that chart steam users only, or players on a game you can download with steam? SeaNanners publicity will outreach to not just those with steam accounts, so it's unfair to say that his stream did not make a difference if indeed that is only what the graph is showing.

Well, Seananners has plugged Spiral Knights as an "available on Steam " game...

...but, yeah, there could be a non-Steam surge, which would be detectable by doing repeated gate census counts. (That's the main reason I said "Where?" and not "There is definitely no influx.") And, to be blunt, it's going to take a very large influx in to be noticed when there's such a large outflux of players leaving the game.
[Jul 15, 2011 6:00:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
johnboring

Some members of the Something Awful forums claiming that Puzzle Pirates will be added to the Steam 'Free to Play' section very shortly.

Big news if the reports are accurate!
Boring. Hunter.
[Aug 13, 2011 2:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhoaleper

I can't even figure out how to add Y!PP to my own steam library. It would be nice for my friends to get the "Cire is playing Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates" message whenever I log on.

Edit: Found out how to do it;

Steam doesn't add Puzzle Pirates from the wizard properly. You need to follow these steps:

1. First, add it using the wizard from Library -> Add a Non-Steam Game
2. Go to your library. You have to manually change the settings by right-clicking on "Puzzle Pirates" and clicking "Properties".
3. Then, open your Start Menu, find the Puzzle Pirates shortcut, right-click on that and click "Properties".
4. Copy and paste what is in the "Target" and "Start in" boxes, from your Start Menu dialog to the Steam dialog. (not the other way round!)
5. Click "Close" on the Steam dialog.

It's too bad that you have to monkey around with this stuff just to get things to work properly; apparently Steam doesn't like the "weird" format of the Puzzle Pirates shortcut (calling javaw.exe with parameters, rather than having its own .exe file)
Spheniscine on Obsidian
Was Rhoaleper in all dub oceans, but based in Viridian
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Rhoaleper at Aug 20, 2011 6:26:09 PM]
[Aug 20, 2011 6:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShooDaddy

Absolutely right. 3 weeks of gameplay max for most people. I even had 5 friends playing and it got dull, quickly.

As for retaining players past a month. Isn't an influx of 10,00 players and then having maybe 2000 more way better than 0 influx and -2000 players?

Get PP on STEAM. DO IT. JUST DO IT.

There are already a few P2P games (shooting games and SK) that have no end point. PP is just better than them all.

Look at the huge market of already strategic indie games on Steam. Its huge. They would love puzzle pirates.

This is where Pp needs to go. End of story. Sure everyone who played SK thought the quality of player was bad. But I think PP needs numbers more than skill. Plus in a month we will have a hefty chunk of new players with skill and a huge network of friends.
Possibly the sexiest pirate in the seven seas.
[Aug 21, 2011 7:12:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates