• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 58762 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
LJAmethyst

Update your Java installation today! Reply to this Post

Oracle patches critical Java security vulnerabilities

Oracle has released security updates to fix a number of critical vulnerabilities in the Java programming language on the company's scheduled June Critical Patch Update. The Java SE Critical Patch Update June 2011 advisory details a total of 17 vulnerabilities which affect the Java Development Kit (JDK) and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) versions 6.0 (up to and including update 25), 5.0 (up to and including update 29) and 1.4.2 (up to and including version 1.4.2_31) on all supported platforms.

Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update Advisory - June 2011

ZDnet: Java security holes need fixing immediately

There is currently no patch for MacOS X. Mac users must wait for Apple to issue an update on their own.

What does this mean to Puzzle Pirates users?

You might be hacked remotely if your computer has old Java installations on it!

GO TO JAVA.COM TODAY AND UPDATE YOUR JAVA INSTALLATION TO THE LATEST VERSION. THEN REMOVE (UNINSTALL) ALL OLDER VERSIONS OF JAVA TO ENSURE YOU ARE NOT COMPROMISED.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 7 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jun 18, 2011 2:39:21 AM]
[Jun 8, 2011 9:30:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Update your Java installation today! Reply to this Post

Oracle fixes 17 bugs in Java security update

Java runs on more than 850 million PCs worldwide, according to Oracle, and that popularity has made it an attractive target for hackers. In recent years Java has joined Windows, Internet Explorer, and Adobe Reader as one of the most frequently attacked programs, and security experts say Internet users run a serious risk of being hacked if they do not keep their Java up to date.

[Jun 10, 2011 6:14:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

To verify proper installation of the latest Java, simply run the Puzzle Pirates client as usual. Log in, and visit Ye->Options->About. At the bottom of the screen is a version number.

A safe Java installation will read

"Java version 1.6.0_26, Sun Microsystems Inc."

As of June 15, 2011, The first two numbers must read 1.6. If the number begins with 1.5, or the number after the _ is anything less than 26, you are still vulnerable, and you need to scrub your system of lingering, old versions, via "Add/Remove Programs" or simply manual deletion.

If the number after the _ is greater than 26, rest assured, you are safe, you are just reading this notice some time in the future.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jun 15, 2011 5:48:07 PM]
[Jun 15, 2011 5:45:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Devidson

how do you delete an old java? bcoz it seems like the ypp game is that.. its reading my old java not my new 1? i already uninstall it via control panel and all but it seems like its still in my computer
[Jun 17, 2011 7:09:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Try this add-on program, JavaRa

Download site

I have not tried it myself, but it seems to be open-source and it received favorable reviews.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jun 17, 2011 7:19:35 PM]
[Jun 17, 2011 7:13:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Devidson

now im getting a msg Unable to access jarfile getdown-drop jar

can someone tell me whats up?
[Jun 18, 2011 12:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Do you mean getdown-dop.jar ?

Did this happen immediately after running JavaRa? Perhaps it's too aggressive in removal and removed part of your Puzzle Pirates installation while it was at it.

Reinstall Puzzle Pirates to fix this.
[Jun 18, 2011 1:18:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Devidson

done and back to the old problems.. logon failed: server error blah blah blah
[Jun 18, 2011 2:26:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

It has been brought to my attention that the "private Steam copy" of Java is still running 1.6.0_25. This is a serious security flaw and it means your system is still vulnerable to being hacked remotely! Whoever is in charge of updating the "private Steam copy" - whether it is Three Rings, or Steam, seriously needs to get on the ball here, because these security flaws have been known for months, and there is no excuse for leaving good customers out in the cold like this.

Apparently, it is impossible for the end-user to update their Java as normal when Steam keeps a "private" copy of the installation, so the onus is on Three Rings to provide an update without known security flaws.

If you are running the Steam client, go to Ye->Options and check your Java version. If it is 1.6.0_25 or lower, open a petition and demand that Three Rings provides an update for your Java installation immediately!
[Feb 18, 2012 4:00:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Please do not install Java SE 7 yet. If you install Java 7 you will find graphical glitches with the Puzzle Pirates client and possibly other problems. Three Rings has not cleared Java 7 as a viable platform for the Puzzle Pirates client. If you get stuck with Java 7, perhaps from going to Java.COM instead of Java.Oracle.COM, please uninstall it so that Puzzle Pirates cannot pick it up, and install an approved version of Java JRE SE 6.
[Jul 23, 2012 1:17:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Can someone point me in the right direction here? Every time I try to download the newest Java I am directed to the newest Version 7 Update 5. Where can I go to find the YPP! program?
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Aug 14, 2012 4:29:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre6u35-downloads-1836473.html

This points to the latest JRE SE 6 update 35.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Sep 1, 2012 8:30:55 AM]
[Aug 14, 2012 6:47:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Alert! Alert! New security advisory issued! Everyone should update their Java immediately!

Oracle has issued a security advisory that affects all versions of Java SE 6 update 34 and earlier, as well as Java SE 7 update 6 and earlier. If you are running one of these versions, please update immediately!

In the above post you will find a link to Java SE 6 update 35. It is the approved stable version to run the Puzzle Pirates client. Please remember that you should remove all other versions of Java from your system so that you are not vulnerable to these security issues.
[Sep 1, 2012 8:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

To verify proper installation of the latest Java, simply run the Puzzle Pirates client as usual. Log in, and visit Ye->Options->About. At the bottom of the screen is a version number.

A safe Java installation will read

"Java version 1.6.0_26, Sun Microsystems Inc."

LJ, I've got Java 6 update 35 on my laptop, but it seems my PP client is running on a lower version, how do I redirect my PP client to use the Java 6 update 35 version?

My OS is a windows 7. Help needed here please!
~Saphireangel~

SO of Mischievous Drifters,
Lady of Maniacal Menagerie,
Cerulean, once a Cobalt native.
(also lurking on all English oceans)

Angelfish collector
Avatar gorgeousness by the lovely Angelira!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by angel2512 at Sep 9, 2012 10:40:02 AM]
[Sep 9, 2012 10:38:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
roxmewild

Dam I have just installed the latest version 7! :(
Jezzabelle Captain of The Dog;s Do Dahs ;)

I used to enjoy the challenge of bettering my puzzling skills to maybe one day obtaining an Ultimate ranking!

Ahh those were the days now I settle for mediocricy cause botters have taken over :(
[Sep 9, 2012 10:49:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
roxmewild

Alert! Alert! New security advisory issued! Everyone should update their Java immediately!

Oracle has issued a security advisory that affects all versions of Java SE 6 update 34 and earlier, as well as Java SE 7 update 6 and earlier. If you are running one of these versions, please update immediately!

In the above post you will find a link to Java SE 6 update 35. It is the approved stable version to run the Puzzle Pirates client. Please remember that you should remove all other versions of Java from your system so that you are not vulnerable to these security issues.

I have just installed Java 7.0.70 is this version ok? Or do I need to unistall and install another ?
Am not techno minded sorry
Jezzabelle Captain of The Dog;s Do Dahs ;)

I used to enjoy the challenge of bettering my puzzling skills to maybe one day obtaining an Ultimate ranking!

Ahh those were the days now I settle for mediocricy cause botters have taken over :(
[Sep 9, 2012 11:02:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladodal

I have just installed Java 7.0.70 is this version ok? Or do I need to unistall and install another?

7.0.70 means your safe from the security flaw, but it's not the version you'd want for Puzzle Pirates. To run Puzzle Pirates without glitches, you'd want Version 6, Update 35.
Lado, Ladodal, Iara, Sequitur, and a fair few others.
Cerulean native by way of Cobalt, but increasingly hanging my hat in Emerald.
[Sep 9, 2012 11:10:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

I have just installed Java 7.0.70 is this version ok? Or do I need to unistall and install another ?
Am not techno minded sorry

The latest JRE 7 is fine as far as that security issue is concerned, but still not tested with YPP so you're still better off getting the newest JRE 6 version too. You can have both simultaneously if you have other programs using JRE 7, just install the latest update and get your YPP shortcut to point to it (if you're on vista/7, the shortcut should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar .; if not, you can run the full YPP install, say no to the first few questions and it'll give you the option to just update your shortcuts. However, I'm not sure if that will cause it to point at JRE 7 or not so it may be wise to just uninstall all versions of Java from your control panel before installing the latest JRE 6 and then updating your shortcut.

LJ, I've got Java 6 update 35 on my laptop, but it seems my PP client is running on a lower version, how do I redirect my PP client to use the Java 6 update 35 version?
If it's using a JRE 7 version, you'll just need to right click the YPP shortcut, click properties and replace the current target with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar . If you have multiple versions of JRE 6, you'll need to uninstall the older ones by going control panel -> uninstall a program -> scroll down to Java and uninstall anything that isn't Java 6 Update 35. You should then be able to use the filepath I provided to point at the right version of Java.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 9, 2012 11:14:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

This is my Uninstall program list. I only have one Java version there, I don't see any other Javas.

My PP client was running on Java 1.6.0_7
~Saphireangel~

Angelfish collector
[Sep 9, 2012 11:32:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Where is your shortcut pointing to?
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 9, 2012 11:35:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

"C:\Users\Angel\AppData\Roaming\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\java\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar .

do i still have to uninstall java versions?
~Saphireangel~

Angelfish collector
[Edit 1 times, last edit by angel2512 at Sep 9, 2012 11:38:25 AM]
[Sep 9, 2012 11:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Huh. Did you try changing the shortcut to the filepath I gave you?

Delete that version of Java anyway, as it's outdated.

Edit: Well java's installed in that folder instead of the java folder and as it's outdated you don't need it anymore. Someone else had the same issue recently, you should be able to just delete it and point YPP to the right file.

More edits: Link to the person having the same issue is here , she says deleting the java files worked for her.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by DementedDuck at Sep 9, 2012 11:43:00 AM]
[Sep 9, 2012 11:38:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

I cant log on now anymore, after changing the file path.

PS: Which version do I delete, I don't want to delete the Java 6 Update 35. But I have no idea which one's the old Java version!

PS2: then again it says its a server outage.
~Saphireangel~

Angelfish collector
[Edit 1 times, last edit by angel2512 at Sep 9, 2012 11:44:19 AM]
[Sep 9, 2012 11:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Delete the java files in the Puzzle Pirates folder. Literally just delete the entire folder*, everything you need is in the Java folder. And yeah, there's a network outage so you won't be able to log on for a while. However, firing up the client will have changed the shortcut if that's going to happen so if you check the target again and it hasn't changed from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar . you should be good to go.

*delete the java folder in Puzzle Pirates, obviously, don't delete Puzzle Pirates. Derp wording.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by DementedDuck at Sep 9, 2012 11:49:19 AM]
[Sep 9, 2012 11:47:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel2512

*delete the java folder in Puzzle Pirates, obviously, don't delete Puzzle Pirates. Derp wording.

I was gonna clarify. LOLz. Thanks so much for the help! Appreciate it
~Saphireangel~

Angelfish collector
[Sep 9, 2012 11:50:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

English is not my forte :P you're welcome!
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 9, 2012 11:53:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ajsboy

Felt I should update this thread as I'm seeing numerous reports that another day-zero exploit has been found within all versions of java, apparently theres no fix at the minute and while the situation has likely been over dramatised and theres no reported attacks based on the exploit, I would still reccomend people have an up to date Anti Virus Program
Ajsboy
Captain of the Midnight Reavers
Avatar by the Extremely Talented DarkFaery
I've tried my hands at 1Puzzle tutorials[
[Sep 26, 2012 10:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Felt I should update this thread as I'm seeing numerous reports that another day-zero exploit has been found within all versions of java, apparently theres no fix at the minute and while the situation has likely been over dramatised and theres no reported attacks based on the exploit, I would still reccomend people have an up to date Anti Virus Program

Thank you, this is all true and correct. Make sure that you have AV software that is updated. There are even good ones free of charge to download. Avira, Avast, AVG Free.

There is more to this. Always observe good security practices. Do not click on suspicious links, do not open suspicious emails. Do not visit sites that offer illicit software or video or other media. Do not visit sites that offer free pornography. Always keep all your software updated; watch especially for security problems in browsers. New software is not immune to problems, and may have undiscovered bugs, but the worst software to run is that which has active security advisories out.

Now for the Java news.

Researcher digs up another zero-day Java bug

Computerworld - A security researcher known for finding Java bugs has uncovered a new critical zero-day vulnerability in all currently-supported versions of the popular Oracle software.

The bug, which was publicly reported on the Full Disclosure security mailing list Tuesday by Adam Gowdiak, the founder and CEO of Polish security firm Security Explorations, can be leveraged to hijack a machine equipped with Java, letting attackers install malware on the system.

Windows PCs and Macs are equally at risk if their users have installed Java, or in the case of OS X, are running 10.6, aka Snow Leopard, or earlier. Snow Leopard was the last edition where Apple bundled Java with the operating system.

All currently-support versions of Java, including Java 5, Java 6 and Java 7, contain the bug.

The company also told him that the bug will be patched in a future Java security update, but that it did not name which. The next on Oracle's quarterly schedule will ship Oct. 16.

So watch this space, and we will let you know when there is a Java update that is safe to download. Obviously, the people who know are being rather mute about the nature of these flaws, so that they are not exploited. It was not mentioned whether or not this is a remote exploit. For now, be careful out there.
[Sep 26, 2012 8:56:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Something of particular note for Steam users...

I had Steam say that the Puzzle Pirates files needed "to be converted to a new, more efficient format" before Steam would launch the game. This resulted in Steam redownloading the old Java version (update 25) and overwriting Update 35 that I had put in there. Though apart from that, I don't think it actually did anything.

So if anyone using the Steam client has run into this, might want to double-check the local java_vm folder within the installation.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Oct 7, 2012 10:47:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

New versions of Java have been released!

Java SE 6 update 37 download
Java SE 6 update 37 release notes

Forculus is working on Java 7 support; as far as I am aware, some of it is released to the oceans and some of it is still on Ice. If you are brave, you can try Java 7 and be aware that there may be glitches.

Java SE 7 update 9 download
Java SE 7 update 9 release notes

Note that both of these releases have skipped one "update" number, there is no update 36 or update 8 public release.

Please upgrade immediately to rectify security issues listed above! Don't forget to remove old versions when you don't need them!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Oct 19, 2012 7:41:55 AM]
[Oct 18, 2012 11:07:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates