• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5559 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Chopstixs

Release 2011-05-25 Reply to this Post

I'll start the tart.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Release_2011-05-25

* Rogue Marks
o Rogue Marks are a new reward item given to players who support Puzzle Pirates and Three Rings by referring new players to the game, purchasing Doubloons, or subscribing. While similar to Shanghai Points, Rogue Marks are an individual reward: they are a stackable item that is stored in the Miscellaneous section of your Booty, rather than a running total on a crew's info page. They can be traded between players just like any other item. Eventually, Rogue Marks will replace Shanghais.
o Rogue Marks can be exchanged for various types of renames (ships, crews, buildings, familiars, etc), as well as a new Chart Box item. The Chart Box can contain a random Sea Monster map, Expedition Chart, Expedition Compass, or inter-archipelago map.
o To exchange Rogue Marks, click on one and select "Rogue Mark shop". This will bring up a page with the full list of exchanges available.

* Now available in exchange for cursed isles trinkets (via a design at the trading post) - the Cursed-Class Sloop.

* Brigand Kings may now appear for very mighty ships, such as well-staffed Grand Frigates. Note, however, that Kings may flee before the battle begins if they don't like the odds.

* Reworked the handling of Brigand King crews and adjusted the calculation of the crew size & skill.

* Skull/ZombieHand/BK Trinkets no longer require the trinket to be one you specifically earned in order to be displayed in your portrait.

I'm loving the idea of Rogue Marks to a certain extent. This change should have happened years ago!

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun, but what's to be of old, existing Shanghais after the transition? Will the Rouge Mark go to the Captain of the crew of the person who subs/dubs, or will it go to the individual who refers the pirate who becomes a member? Or will the new pirate receive one as well?

I'm probably being dense & most definitely jumping the gun with these questions, but I'd like to also hear how people feel about this change.

Also, I think the addition of BK trinkets being available without the trinket in your inventory takes away from some of the appeal of BK hunting. Though, I'm old-school, I think the compasses do too.
----------------------------------------
Korkchop
Man eater by trade.

Now with 49.99% more befuddlement.
[May 25, 2011 2:26:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Re: Release 2011-05-25 Reply to this Post

Forculus wrote: 
What will happen to any Shanghais owned by crews?
The marks will be assigned to the crew's captain. Note that this will happen later on, not in conjunction with this release.

From the Ice thread.

I'm hoping they'll at least pro-rate the paid sub time going forward (i.e., that I'll get 11-12 marks for the account that re-upped yesterday), but I'm not sure how they'd do something similar for dub buyers.

Otherwise.... I like.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[May 25, 2011 2:36:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
ryujinpp

you didnt jump the gun.. just never follow/read the discussion on Ice forum

read Forculus's response to questions raised here
Galene tells ye, "I reserve the right to not deliver prizes to you anymore in the future :P"
Galene tells ye, "You crashed me 6 times!"

Ryujin on all oceans
[May 25, 2011 2:36:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.facebook.com/PuzzlePirates [Link]  Go to top 
Nemedor

BK's are dead now. Thanks to OOO, they have destroyed the single thing that was kinda elite

The marks are cool though.
Nemedor on Emerald
King of Glorious Geeks
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemedor at May 25, 2011 3:15:15 PM]
[May 25, 2011 3:14:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chopstixs

you didnt jump the gun.. just never follow/read the discussion on Ice forum

read Forculus's response to questions raised here

Hehe, I don't usually follow the Ice news, that's correct. It's much too buggy over there. XP Plus, there was no such thing when I used to be a forum lurker and I often forget such things do exist now!

Also, I think this direct post answers a lot of my questions, so thank you. I linked it for others to view if they don't follow Ice Discussions/have the same questions: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2362667#2362667
Korkchop
Man eater by trade.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chopstixs at May 25, 2011 3:33:50 PM]
[May 25, 2011 3:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fedorov

We get shanghais simply when someone subscribes in our crew, now my question is...Now that we need to recommend someone to the game, will we still be able to get these points if someone who was not recommended subscribes?

Seems like rogue marks are harder to obtain than shanghais and it would suck if you take away shanghais from the game.
[May 25, 2011 6:30:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

We get shanghais simply when someone subscribes in our crew, now my question is...Now that we need to recommend someone to the game, will we still be able to get these points if someone who was not recommended subscribes?

Seems like rogue marks are harder to obtain than shanghais and it would suck if you take away shanghais from the game.

... I think you missed the point. It's shifting away from the captain being assigned everyone's shanghais. Looks to me like they are making them easier to get, not harder.

Here, Forculus suggests that rogue marks will be assigned for payments beyond that first one, but the exact details haven't been conveyed to us mere mortals yet.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[May 25, 2011 7:33:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Here, Forculus suggests that rogue marks will be assigned for payments beyond that first one, but the exact details haven't been conveyed to us mere mortals yet.

The billing page for my other account says '1 Rogue Mark per $9.95 spent on doubloons or month of subscription time purchased'.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[May 25, 2011 7:52:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I actually like it. I was designated shanghai spender for several years, it was inconvenient really, and didn't make sense to me for the crew to get what a person paid for. It gave too much control to one person, and I knew pirates who would shamelessly spend shanghais only on themselves without ever actually earning one.
Jolyma

[May 25, 2011 8:00:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OpheliasAunt

Skull/ZombieHand/BK Trinkets no longer require the trinket to be one you specifically earned in order to be displayed in your portrait.

The changes to these trinkets - especially BK ones - is sad. The difficulty and pride in earning them is part of the draw.
~ Legs ~ Privateers ~ Sage
[May 26, 2011 1:12:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

There is a thread about Rogue marks in Game Design here if you want to discuss them.

I think it would be better if we try keep everything update related organised and thread specific to avoid tl;dr threads for players who want to put across their point of view on one aspect of the update, rather than have it all jumbled and offputting. It also makes things easier for OOO should they wish to consider player voice.

I'm thinking for creating threads for each article of a new update in GD to help with this, though taking a sample of players *Cough* Falsedimitri*Cough* to interview who post in those threads might help the developers if they don't want to trawl through all the posts made in them.
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[May 26, 2011 3:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chopstixs

Skull/ZombieHand/BK Trinkets no longer require the trinket to be one you specifically earned in order to be displayed in your portrait.

The changes to these trinkets - especially BK ones - is sad. The difficulty and pride in earning them is part of the draw.

I agree, whole heartily. Why not make every portrait trigger available on demand? Even though I don't have the ocean memmed, should I get to hold the globe? No, I haven't achieved that and I should be able to act as though I have.

I guess all trinkets are going to be used as a form of currency now for the Trade Post items. I don't think that's right. Skulls and Zombie hands are readily available to get and are relatively easy to secure, but BK trinkets, that's lame.
Korkchop
Man eater by trade.

[May 26, 2011 11:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Guys, you're not elite for having BK trinkets.

Sorry.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 26, 2011 11:39:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Abandonment

Guys, you're not elite for having BK trinkets.

Sorry.

Yeah but we had to troll around for hours engaging red ships 'til we got one!
Priapus/Guantanamo
[May 27, 2011 1:34:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Don't see the big deal about the BK trinkets when you haven't needed to win a familiar to wear one in a portrait and those are supposed to be even harder to win.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[May 27, 2011 1:43:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jackarius23

I dont like your name :(
Kork, Meridian
Jackarius, Cerulean

Cleaver is going to strangle all of you.

[May 27, 2011 8:57:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

So, no marks for a current annual subscription, then? That seems a little cheap if they're supposed to be rewarding people that support the game with money.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[May 27, 2011 9:22:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Achievements don't have to be elite to be worth doing. Collecting BK trinkets was a fun goal that gave many hours of pleasure to a lot of people. That you had to collect 'em all personally made it much more significant of a collection than if you just bought them, because it created a sense that you'd 'earned' them.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 27, 2011 9:27:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

So then somebody's effort to get the trinkets is not lessened by the fact that other people can buy them.

Otherwise, this achievement does have to be elite to be worth doing.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 27, 2011 8:29:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Er, no. It is lessened. Part of human nature is to value the rare, and by making something common, you make it seem less valuable. Rational? No. Human nature? Seems to be pretty consistently the case.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 27, 2011 11:34:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

So, no marks for a current annual subscription, then? That seems a little cheap if they're supposed to be rewarding people that support the game with money.

Yeah seems a slap in the face really, sub is paid the same as anyone else, I'm guessing those with long-term discount are classed as getting "enough" from OOO :(
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[May 28, 2011 12:01:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morgarth

I don't think renewing subs ever got additional shangs, only new accounts that subbed.

So - if we get marks when we renew an annual or long term sub - that's actually an improvement.

Jacobey
Midnight
[Jun 3, 2011 9:19:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I don't think renewing subs ever got additional shangs, only new accounts that subbed.

So - if we get marks when we renew an annual or long term sub - that's actually an improvement.

Jacobey
Midnight

I agree with you, and I think it should have been implemented years ago. Shanghais rewarded the worst sort of dockpressing crews on Cobalt and Midnight, especially.

Still, it's a little bitter for those of us who HAVE been "supporting the game" for 5 years or better to have to wait until our subs renew to get anything. Mine doesn't re-up until February. I'd rebuy a year right now, except that you can't do that if you're on the discount rate.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jun 4, 2011 9:35:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

Fortunately three of my accounts renew in June. However, one of them renewed on May 22nd... I feel your pain.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Jun 5, 2011 7:34:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Markus1

"On June 22nd, 2011, Shanghais will be completely phased out. Any existing Shanghai Points possessed by a crew at this point will be removed and replaced with Rogue Marks at a rate of 3 Rogue Marks for each Shanghai. These Rogue Marks will be given to the crew's captain. In the case of a crew that lacks a captain, the Rogue Marks will be split amongst all the players who hold the highest rank within the crew, be it Senior Officer, or Fleet Officer, or lower."

Anyone know if its active SOs? Or does it include dormant ones as well?

Might consider going captainless on purpose to have them distributed evenly.
Zingman

Siochan Leat -- Carpe Noctem -- forever Midnight
[Jun 10, 2011 5:35:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Contrariety

If you're the captain, you can just trade them to your active SO's once they've been awarded to you, if you want to do it fairly, too.
Pests they might be, but the young were cute and cuddly and had big eyes, which was definitely an evolutionary edge to secure survival.
-On grammasites, Thursday Next

Contrary to Popular Belief, or Mistress Mary, quite Contrary, I'll be around.
[Jun 11, 2011 6:29:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates